Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

How have I not written a review for this yet?! I love this stuff!
I got it, unsniffed, in my very first Imp Set from the Lab, and I admit, I had high hopes for it. All of the parts of it sounded good - the sort of thing I'd like my scarves to smell like in winter.

Well, it scared me in the imp.
Bright and sharp in the imp and wet. I have Loviatar to compare it to, now, which has a primary leather note, amber and musk, and does the same thing: the leather goes like crazy for a few minutes, then it softens to a lovely warm suede scent and stays that way, but the leather here is gentler than the leather in Loviatar. The amber gives it a little bit of a spicy quality, keeping everything warm for a long time. It stays close on me but it lasts for several hours and sometimes overnight.
Eventually it fades to dry grassy amber (though, on me, everything with amber in it will leave an amber scent long after every other note is gone).
I could say Coyote is a shapeshifter on me; he starts out deceptively human, then 20 minutes later he's not. Mostly. Except maybe the eyes... I also got a hold of an older imp and it's much less intense while wet and has mellowed nicely.
I adore this scent. It's the one I go to when I am not wearing something else, if that makes sense. To wear to bed, or when I need a break from trying new scents, or after overwearing something I love but is too intense for all the time. I go back to Coyote for grounding.
So I have a bottle of this on order. While I enjoy wearing different scents to suit my mood, this one is a perfect comfort scent for all the time.

Coyote

Wet, in bottle: Pungent, golden. Are those almonds I can detect?

Wet, on skin: Go away, almonds! I don't want to smell like a Christmas cake.

Dry, on skin: The almonds back slowly away as the scent develops. They must have heard that I didn't like them :P A nuttier scent emerges, I think this is still some form of almond, but not the sharp, sweet kind. Then- amber! Glorious, golden amber. Very rich and sweet, staying very close to the skin. This is incredibly subtle and doesn't have much throw at all, but it really smells good. You could imagine it being someone's (someone VERY lucky, lol) natural scent.

Interestingly, I applied this to the crooks of my elbows too, and it doesn't smell nearly as good there. There's some of that annoying ammonia smell that sometimes happens with amber (Fascinum and Machu Picchu both did that to me) but on my wrists it is pure golden loveliness. Quite a vanilla-y amber, I don't know if there's vanilla in this.

I would definitely use this if I got a bottle (esp as it is so subtle it requires slathering) but am not sure...there are other glorious amber scents out there, so would I wear it often enough? It would certainly be great for occasions where I want a very subtle waft of perfume.

later: I almost get wafts of rose (but a very lovely rose) from this at times, especially in the crook of my elbow. On my wrists it's creme brulee and amber.

I've just decided I definitely want a big bottle of this :D

Inside the imp, this is a woodsy musk.

Wet on the skin, much the same....as it dries the amber comes out. Dries out to wood, amber, and musk. Not unpleasant, but not really my kind of scent.

Love this! Loooooooove it :P I adore musks and amber and woods and leather so this was my cup of tea all over it. Really sweet at times and almost fruity in a strange way that reminded me of Fairy Market of all things! But then it would flash back to leathery musk more reminiscent of Western Diamondback. This has good throw and is never to stray far from my imp box :D

Sweet leather and hay and sunshine. Very soothing and pleasant and descending gently into musky softness and a bit of soapy sweetness.

I'll hang onto this one - but not certain that I'll make the jump to a big bottle. I'll think about it if I wear it a few times.

:P

For me, this was that one scent that made me buy bpal in the first place (Coyote is my animal, and a scent based on him is just awesome in my opinion). I just got it today, and it doesn't disappoint.

When I first opened the imp, I had to make a little 'oh~' sound as I sniffed it. It was just that good. Leather, wood, musk....delicious. Now that it's on my skin, it's more musky and the leather is coming out over the wood. I've only had it on for about ten minutes, but I think I'm in love (as long as it doesn't do something wonky in the next few hours. >>)

Later: So wonderful, I can't stop smelling my wrists, and I've been wearing it all day. This works SO well on me. I need a bottle of this now.

Edited by Acid

In the vial it smells like the description. Very dirty, musky and almost exotic. It reminds me of camping in the south west. It smells like Mormon Tea. Very masculine to.

On me it really morphs. It smells like puppy. Not a gross stinky puppy. But a clean cuddley puppy smell. It's very comforting.

This isn't one I'd wear out though. It's way too masculine and musky for me. But as a room scent, wonderful.

There are wild coyote in the area where I live so I was excited about trying this. :D

Wet, Coyote seems soft and musky. Sweet grasses, hay, and desert scrub... with a smidgen of soap? :(

After a while it grows warmer and a little bit spicy/dirty (makes me think of the TAL Lionheart), with the amber becoming more apparent... still mostly musky with summer grass and wood, like sunshine on the dry southern California hills.

This is comforting and kinda refreshing/nature-y in the way my skin doesn't completely spazz out over. I like this. :thumbsup:

ETA: I got a second imp recently and the oil inside is actually a smidge darker than the one in my first sample. It's also stronger! Not as "clean" as I thought, more musky and "furry" lurking beneath that grass. I definitely like it more now!

Edited by MisterShrapnel

In the vial: sweetness and resins.

Wet: dry grasses, musk, candy

Drydown: sweet musk. Very candyish on me. Sort of clean, but berryish resin. I don't know what what this note is that I am detecting.

Wet: Sharp musk.

First on: All I can smell is musk and wood.

Dry: Unchanged on drydown. Too masculine for me.

i love this stuff, in the vial its deep and smells like leather with tobacco and enough musks so that its not overpowered the first two. there seems to be some candy there.

applied, my musks rise to the occasion and its just a beautiful scent. i love it. after about 30 minutes on my hand this scent has evolved into a dark musk thats been aged but with a tinge of spice. I LOVE IT

overall, im putting it on my wishlist.

Grass, amber, and musk with a hint of leather and the faintest reminder of something a bit citrusy...like a hint of lime in there somewhere. Overall very warm and comforting. A definite keeper!

In the imp: Grassy, woodsy musk--very pleasant and unlike any other scent I have in my collection.

Wet on skin: Now I'm getting a furry scent that must be the doeskin. No amber yet...

Dry on skin: Huh. This ended up as clean fur. Interesting, but too soapy for my taste.

I tend to have bad luck with grass and wood notes, but I love amber and musk, so I thought I'd give Coyote a try. I am SO glad I did. I don't know what the magic formula is here, if it's a little tricker's prank or what, but this is pure happiness on me. Soft and warm and not too much of any one note, which is great because if I amped any of them it could easily turn ugly.

Edited by lucy gray

I tried this three times now and I just can't get it to work for me. This ends up totally disappearing on my skin. It starts off rather dry (which I think is the problem for me), and just fades into total oblivion. It seems pleasant enough while it lasts, a golden dusty scent, but I just can't get it to develop past that.

This one is too light for me. If it was a little bolder, I imagine I'd like it, as it's very earthy, like fresh-cut grass, but I can hardly find the scent even a few minutes after application.

Ivanushka is my favorite BPAL blend, and Ive been eager to try another "fur" blend :D

Yep! Same musk that's in Ivanushka! Some people think it smells like pickles :lol: I get a little more sweetness from Coyote though. Jeeze I love that "clean musk" scent! The grasses definitely take the musk down a notch here, whereas in Ivanushka that was full on furry musk. I like Coyote a lot, but still prefer Ivanushka :)

Soft warm amber. It's snuggling up with a warm golden furred animal on a sunny day. The smell of dry grasses, a little musk in the background. I love this. It sticks close to the skin and I have yet to determine just how much I need to slather to smell it without huffing my arm. I tested this a few hours before bed, it was comforting sleeping with this scent and when I woke up I still smelled the light musk.

Aw. I'm sad. I so wanted to like Coyote. I couldn't even wait for full drydown I had to wash it off as it was making me nauseas. This went totally sweet and a little , not sure, cloying? on me. The musk was NOT working in my favor I think.

But it's really not fair because it has amazing staying power. All the scents I love fade quickly on me but I washed this off and still detect the scent. It's not so bad now, a little sweet, a little musky, but I wouldn't buy a full bottle for the washed off scent.

Off to the trade pile. :(

So, Coyote didn't work on me, but I have enabled a friend with it. See, this guy, his name is Wolfe, and he's a coyote furry. And he's one of those who has a sensitive nose and when I opened scents in his presence his nose gets unhappy.

Not this one. I open it, he keeps his distance, and suddenly he cautiosly leans in, takes a long whiff, and says in almost disbelief "Thats.........nice......"

I want to thank the reviewers who told me it was furry sex in a bottle!

I knew it wasn't going to work on me, but I wanted to try it anyway. It's a very warm scent, soft and masculine, musky and dry. I like it, but think it'd smell better on a guy.

My first official review. :wave:

in the bottle: Strong, but not oppressive musk (light); very familiar, almost soapy background -- amber?

on wet: Amber, I think, almost 100%.

drydown: Mostly amber. Slightly soapy musk, not unpleasant; this is a scent that suggests warmth and would be an excellent "enhanced skin" scent for someone. (Not me.)

one hour later: Warm and sweet. Musk and amber. Some other very subtle but warm and ... airy? light? dry? ... scents.

end of day: Amber, period. On me, soap.

compared to official description: My nose probably isn't good enough to identify subtle woods and grasses. I will say that there are definitely elements other than amber and musk, but whatever they are, they're very close in scent temperament to the former two, and I can't break it down into individual notes. If there's wood, it's very harmoniously combined and disguised by its neighbors. Near impossible for me to pick out anything individual, but after the drydown and through the first part of the day I detected something slightly spice-like in a non-foody way. Cinnamon? Vanilla? (Or coumarin, perhaps -- as in dry grasses; just a guess.) FWIW, the warm sweetness strikes me as more feline than canine. Canines, to my nose, have a drier, muskier scent.

notes: I think I tend to read amber-based scents as soapy or powdery depending on the surrounding scents.

Edited by Graphica

I quite like this. In the imp and wet, it smells sour, but once it dries down, it becomes a musky warm scent, that does smell a little like my dog's fur when he's sitting in the sun! It's definitely strong on the amber. I like it; it's not really sexy, but I think it would be nice for a day of sitting around the house, reading and relaxing. My imp will get some serious use.

Out of 10: 7

Sniffed: Orangey amber oil. Dry dusty woods, almost a little soapy - it reminds m very strongly of some other BPAL. Definitely some perfumey amber. A little sour, a hay note?

Wet: Much warmer, richer, and deeper. Less dusty. The sourness almost has a tang. I'm definitely getting a ton of musk - I think it's maybe the same sort of musk in Buck Moon that smells coconutty on me? Still a hint of soap, and powdery amber.

Dry: The grass/hay note has morphed into something almost kinda citrusy, and I quite like it. The musk has amped greatly, but the amber has turned to utter powder with a soapy edge. I still get a little of the warm dusty woods, but not in a serious way.

Summary: Dries down primarily to AMBER POWDER, with lots of musk and lighter tangy hay and dusty wood. Wayyyy too powdery on me. Moderate throw & great longevity.

:(

At first, Coyote is a suede version of Hay Moon. Velvety with a touch of incense, but way too dry and perfumey. In the first five minutes, I prepared myself to throw this one in the swap drawer.

But this blend morphs into something totally different on me. It's wild. This musk has a beautiful coppery, animal feel to it and is even slightly floral-- in a prickly wildflowers way. It's peppery and sunny and touched with something like sweetgrass. The texture and background of this scent is full of dust and twigs and paper notes.

I think this would be amazing on a man, but I don't feel odd wearing it at all. It's not masculine in a cologne, aftershave, or Axe way. It's just a universally pleasant, down-to-earth scent. It's a shame this doesn't seem to have worked out for more people!