Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

In the vial: Grass. Doeskin. Musk.

On me: Mmmm. All of those scents, warmed by amber and spiced a bit by wood. This is a really gorgeous scent. The amber, musk, and woods give it lasting power, though it doesn't last for more than a couple hours.

Verdict: Gorgeous. I would like a bottle, and I don't mind reapplying. It's so pretty.

Rating: 4/5

Pure and immediate joy. The doeskin must make this one--another “natural” smelling scent, this time evocative of wild grasses. On me this turns strangely feminine, yet utterly different from any fragrance I’ve tried before. Only one problem: the scent begins to fade after two hours, and before long the single remaining note is kind of flat, dim, and powdery. But hey, it's Coyote, and he never stays put for too long!

This imp is making its rounds via the General Catalogue Swap.

Scared by the grass notes (allergies), but trying it anyway. Don't know how to describe it other than to say it reminds me of a quad of crème scents I had when I was a teenager. VERY much so. Not much lasting power, but gets sharpish before fading.

This came as a freebie in my latest order.

At first I thought I smelled the same cherry note that's in Hollywood Babylon. There's a similar amber at first, too - very juicy! Come to think of it, Hollywood Babylon's rather a trickster of a scent, so the similarity is fitting.

On my skin, that bright sweetness mellows, and I get more of the dry grass and a soft musk.

What I like best is the way Coyote smells when it's been dry awhile. It really does smell like clean fur and the outdoors, and a nuzzly musk. It stays close to my skin, but I think it would be very inviting to someone who was close enough to smell it.

Coyote is one of my favorite blends, and has been from the moment I sniffed the imp. I'm just about to finish a 10 ml of this.

On me, Coyote is a sweet-ish, skin musk-y type of scent; more feminine than masculine. It starts out a little bit green (the "grassy" scent) but the drydown is all about the musk and amber. It's one of my all-purpose scents -- this would be appopriate for just about any occasion. It's not so "earthy" that you couldn't wear it to work; and it's not so "perfumey" that it would be out of place on a camping trip. It's just a nice, smooth, warm, musky scent that works with everything. Definitely one of my staples.

In the bottle: Theres a sharp note here I can't identify. It smells kind of like straight alcohol. (I know it's not.) There's a secondary smell that's maddeningly familiar.

On me this does a very fast fade. It's barely a skin scent. Again, it's in and and out and not like anything I've ever smelt. I like it, whatever it is. Perhaps it's vetiver. It doesn't smell green. It does smell dry like the desert. This is truly a trickster. I like it and will keep my imp, but I wouldn't buy a bottle unless it comes out to play more over time. Right now there just isn't enough throw.

Out of the four scents that I tried today, I'm really digging Coyote. It has a very barely there duskiness with the grasses that wraps around the amber which seems to shine upon my skin. Personally when I smelled it, it was like Lotus Moons gentlier sister to my nose in the same meditative sense.

And as it dries down it gets sweeter. Mmm.

ADDED 2/22/10:

Soft and Earthy warm. Very musky that reminds me of wolf moon 06, the way with the feral musk. A lot of the doe sweetness if out almost with the airy freshness. Almost makes me want to sleep (which I have been using it a bit for *cough*). Bottle on its way and I know it will age beautifully. (imp is 3 years old)

Well, hell yeah, I live out here on the plains and I didn't see how Coyote couldn't work on me! Doeskin, plains grasses, dusty woods, it sounds like my childhood stomping grounds. These scents have to be encoded in my DNA, don't they?

In the bottle, I got a lot of green and woodsy smells -- what I picked up on reminded me of Yggdrasil or Hamadryad. So I thought, ooh, I dunno. But once it hit my skin, while the green grass and woods were still there in the forefront, but the doeskin, musk and amber really kicked in. After about 5 or 10 minutes, the grass and woods softened and dried out, and left a spicy muskiness that I love. I went to the gym after about a half hour after applying Coyote, and once my skin warmed up, I started thinking, OMG, what is that GREAT smell? It was, in fact, the Coyote. It's a dusty, spicy amber-musk. It is very outdoorsy, it is to me more of a casual scent, and very androgynous -- I think it could be drop-dead sexy on both genders.

I took the leap of faith on this scent and got a bottle without ever testing it, and Coyote held up to every expectation that I had, and more.

ETA: I realized about a day after I wrote this, that the grass smell in this fragrance reminds me a lot of sweet grass. It has a green, but slightly vanilla-like essence.

Edited by valentina

Coyote - I didn’t expect to like this scent. It sounded like it had all the wrong notes in for me, with the exception of amber, which I like. However, sniffed wet in the vial, it was incredibly enticing, and of my latest load of BPAL, I chose to try Coyote first. It’s far from what I expected. I thought it would be musky and dusty and dry, but it’s a warm scent, full of golden amber, and the musk is also warm and cozy. The grass scent is the first I’ve ever smelled that hasn’t caused my allergies to go haywire. It’s got the tiniest hint of something spicy, too, but I can’t quite peg it. This is a gorgeous scent and one that I won’t be parting with any time soon. As someone who lives in Colorado and who regularly hears the howls of coyote, sees herds of deer grazing on the prairie grasses, and smells the freshness of the rolling moors of the Wild West, I have to say this scent is appropriately named, and one that will probably always remind me of home.

Got this as a frimp, and once again, I am glad I did. This smells like grasses, dirt, and the air where I walk with my dog a lot of times in the hills (we always see coyotes, too :P ).

This is not a "me" scent, but I certainly like it enough to keep the imp.

Coyote

In the imp: dry dusty woods and green, tangy, herbal notes a la Buck Moon.

Wet on skin: dusty woods-I think I'm getting the doeskin now, warm and dry.

Dry on skin: gorgeous. I'm now getting sweet amber rising through the scent. The doeskin note is really nice-I was worried it would be too much of an animal skin type scent but instead it reminds me of warm fur and something almost like leather, but lighter. I get a mix of dry and green grass and grey woods at the base. The musk isn't noticeable just yet, it mixes nicely with all the other notes. This scent is warm, muted gold and dusty, and does indeed bring to mind images of the Southwest US…the wood note reminds me of Yggdrasil and Jupiter, it's solid and grounded, and with a nice dry feel.

After a while: the scent deepens and warms even more. The doeskin and wood are gorgeous here. I smell greyish, sun bleached planks of cedar wood layered with dust and dry grass, and dry doeskin, with a hint of lovely amber. The musk just enhances it all. This is a rugged scent, yet nicely worn and muted, and something about it reminds me of western movies. Eventually a smoky quality appears in the scent, that lovely smoky wood musk drydown, though here it's a lot woodier than usual…and I think I can smell redwood in here as well as cedar.

Then I get a gorgeous amber drydown with deep woods and a little musk. I love that BPAL amber scent, it's soft and golden but never overwhelming/heavy. The scent gets very faint quite fast but this could be due to today's crazy humidity and my resultant sweating…

Verdict: I really like this scent-it's one of the more masculine amber-musk scents but it's lovely. Very woody, slightly grassy and with a delightful dry doeskin note which is pale and musky and 'furry', this is a dusty, warm, muted scent, rugged and 'Western' in feel, warm and comforting. Outdoorsy, but in a dry, desert plain like sense-the warmth and dustiness give it that ambience. The drydown of amber is even nicer-a wonderful golden amber sweetness with woods on top. I like this enough to keep the imp-not sure about a bottle yet-and I think it would smell yummy on a man as well. Well crafted, evocative and unique.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Tombstone, Fenris Wolf, Yggdrasil

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Tested thanks to the GC swap quikslvr arranged!

In the imp, Coyote is masculine, green and fresh. On my skin, it's suddenly really floral. Uh, what? Where's all this coming from? There's a hint of spice and it's verging on masculine, but the intensity of the floral just sort of chokes everything else out. Is there rose in this? I think I'm allergic to one of the flowers, and rose is the most likely suspect. Oddly enough, I think I need a retest on this one. I'll be on the lookout for an imp.

Bottle: Oh yes, I already know I'm going to love this one, it smells like the southwest desert, where I'm originally from

Wet: sage, pinon, sweet grass

Dry: oh this is beautiful, warm amber spice with that wonderful sage sweet grass juniper wood undertone

This scent is more me than any I have yet tried, and reminds me of home. I keep thinking of oatmeal spice cookies even though those aren't notes in the blend, probably because that's what my mama used to make :P I'll be ordering a big bottle.

I didn't expect to like Coyote, given that I don't like grassy smells nor southwestern imagery, but I got it as a frimp, and wow, was I surprised.

On opening the imp: FUR. And sweet tobacco and amber.

On skin: FUR FUR FUR FUR. And hello leather, tobacco, dry grass rustling in the wind. FUR FUR FUR FUR. It's so soft that as I sniff it I feel fur rubbing against my cheek.

Over time: Dries down to softest amber (I think it's the way the amber and musk is combined that gives me such a strong FUR impression) and wisps of tobacco smoke.

Over all, I'd say on the feminine-neutral-masculine scale, it leans very slightly into masculine, but there are distinct feminine notes as well. Also, I find it interesting that many folks are complaining it doesn't last long on them. It lasts longer than most things on my skin - though that's not saying much, as my skin tends to gobble scents right up within 1-2 hours anyway.

Grassy scents usually aren't for me - I have severe grass allergies and usually the faintest hint of the smell will set me off due to subconscious association. But while I do get that hint of dry grass, it's not strong and somehow it's... it's as if it's only the idea of grass, a very evocative and accurate idea, but still just the idea, instead of being that real SMELL that bothers me.

It's not really "me", and I really shouldn't like it, but it's so lovely and expertly crafted I can't help myself. It gives me fleeting images starry nights over grassy plains, and sleek, elusive shadows darting through the stalks, soft fur rustling against them.

Edited by Vampy

In the bottle: a bit musky, fresh-smelling.

On me: More musk and amber than anything. It is a warm smell, and appealing. I truly don't get any leather or plains grasses in this one, and based on the reports I hoped they'd be in the forefront. I'm disappointed I didn't have the ecstatic reaction shared by so many... but he's a tricky one, that Coyote.

Oh, yum! This is not what I was expecting at all--it's wonderful! Sweetgrass and amber, touched by the softest of leather notes and a light, subtle musk. It's delightful! This is the sweet, spiced amber of The Lion, but softer, more reserved, and blending so perfectly with the doeskin and musk that individual notes are hard to pick out. I adore this! It doesn't have a lot of throw, but there are days when that's a good thing. Must get more than the partial imp I have!

:P

This is blended so beautifully...

In addition to the dry grasses, amber and soft musk I get something floral and... horror of horrors, a teeny bit soapy from it (could that be from the amber?). I mostly get musk and then amber and then that sweet woody floral note along with the leathery feel. There is an underlying bittersweet spice note too.

I think it smells romantic. It's funny, one minute I think it smells very manly the next I decide it smells feminine.

It stays really close to the skin. If it were a color I suppose it would be a soft grey. Lovely.

Edited by thespring

Mostly amber on me, with a handful of sweetgrass on me. I'm missing so many of the notes that appeared on other reviewers! It's actually a lot sweeter than I was expecting, it does conure up the image of plains for me.

BPAL newcomer here, with my first review. I've only tried a few scents thus far, and this is by far my favorite.

Soft and warm. When it's wet, I get an almost sharp green grassy note that slowly fades down to warm gold amber. Definitely dry plains in the sun. Well-named.

Bottle: dry woods, grasses, and musk. warm - if I were to lay in a dry field bordering a midwestern forest wearing EOM - this is that scent.

Wet: the doeskin is evident (and here's hoping it doesn't turn on me)

Dry: deepening, and the doeskin isn't taking off and morphing like leather notes usually do on me. goooorgeous.

Later: evocative and warm and prairie. Did you know that the prairie actually begins in SW Michigan?

In the imp: Warm, dry and dusty. Puts me in mind of empty fields of grain in autumn and plains stretching off into the distance as far as the eye can see. Very evocative scent. This is also a clean smelling scent, which I wouldn't have expected, with amber in it (amber always smells very heavy to my nose). So far I really like Coyote!

On the wrist, wet: There is a clean, almost astringent note in this that reminds me of living in Scottsdale, AZ... Creosote! That's what it makes me think of. The amber is very prominent at this stage. There's also something sweet and fruity floral (florally fruit?) poking through. This is a very warm scent.

On the wrist, dry: As soon as this dries the amber becomes overwhelming on me.

Final Analysis: There are some great notes in this, but my body chemistry does not play nice with amber, alas. Off to the swaps.

In bottle: Why are my frimps always musky? This one is, though not overly so; no amber yet, though it does smell a bit like grass.

Wet: Yep, lots of musk. Now it doesn't so much smell like grass, it's just reminiscent of a grassy field.

Dry: Ah, and now back to just musk. The amber warms it up a bit, but it's otherwise not a particularly notable scent on me.

imp: has a cool breeze, warm desert smell about it. I can smell soft, sueded leather like doeskin. There is a dusty herbalness too (sage?).

wet: the cool breeze note has actually become a little "watery" or "aquatic" on me. hmmmm...

dry:this gets very soft on me without much of a smell at all...just a softness. Later I can smell the grasses, but they are green rather than dry. It is a very faint smell, not the overpowering scent of freshly mowed lawn...

Verdict: It is really too light on me and is rather average. Oh well.

In the vial, it smelled like French perfume.

With trepidation, I applied it anyway.

After two hours, it still smelled like French perfume.

No doeskin, no grasses, no musk. At any point.

I'm honestly wondering if they gave me the wrong thing. As it is, I have to just get rid of it, and this was the one I was anticipating the most.

In the bottle it seems very sweet... It does wet too. Once it dries it begins to mellow out into something beautiful, no more sweetness to it.

Coyote is an evident but not overpowering scent and it lasted for about five hours without having to reapply at all. The blend is just as the lab describes, I can't pick out the notes to save my life, but it just smells *right*. The only evident note on me is the amber, but its not over powering. Its a warm scent, but not hot. Kind of like a sunset over plains. :) It has a very... coyote-like quality to it. This is definatley an all time favorite of mine.