Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Drink Me

There seemed to be no use in waiting by the little door, so she went back to the table, half hoping she might find another key on it, or at any rate a book of rules for shutting people up like telescopes: this time she found a little bottle on it, (`which certainly was not here before,' said Alice,) and round the neck of the bottle was a paper label, with the words `DRINK ME' beautifully printed on it in large letters.

It was all very well to say `Drink me,' but the wise little Alice was not going to do that in a hurry. `No, I'll look first,' she said, `and see whether it's marked "poison" or not'; for she had read several nice little histories about children who had got burnt, and eaten up by wild beasts and other unpleasant things, all because they would not remember the simple rules their friends had taught them: such as, that a red-hot poker will burn you if you hold it too long; and that if you cut your finger very deeply with a knife, it usually bleeds; and she had never forgotten that, if you drink much from a bottle marked `poison,' it is almost certain to disagree with you, sooner or later.

However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

BPAL’s Drink Me is not for drinking. Please use common sense, and remember: perfume oils are for external use only.

The following is from a quick sniff-and-dab at Convergence. Drink Me was not available for purchase.

Not bad. Nice, hot mustard. Good bread. The turkey's a little dry. [horror] The turkey's a little dry! Oh, foe, the cursed teeth! What demon from the depths of hell created thee!

In truth, in the bottle, a delightful blend of foodtastic scents. I get a creamy vanilla with a bit of spice. I would not be surprised if Beth found a way to intermingle the cherry and pineapple, along with a buttery note. Truly lovely, truly unturkey.

When I first smelled Drink Me in the bottle, I thought "Holy moly, it's Beaver Moon."

Okay, not quite Beaver Moon, but certainly a cousin to Beaver Moon and the Monster Baits: foody, sweet, sugary, dessert-worthy and quite delicious. And hey? General catalog!

On my skin, Drink me is wonderfully sweet, with an absolute cupcake vibe, as well as strong fruity notes that could only be pineapple and cherry. Playful, tasty and gorgeous!

And then it all goes so horribly wrong.

Not knowing the notes in this, I can't honestly say what happened, but within an hour Drink Me had morphed into something that not only would I not want to drink, but I wouldn't particularly want on my skin either. It didn't go plastic, as vanilla scents can sometimes do on me. Rather, my skin chemistry amped something in the background that I can't identify (something nutty, perhaps?) and can only say that I don't particularly care for. I laughingly wondered if maybe what I was smelling was the turkey but no — it doesn't seem to be that either.

Alas, it seems Drink Me is not my cup of tea.

For those looking for a more accessible alternative to the recent spate of LE foody scents, however, I would strongly recommend giving Drink Me a try. Your skin chemistry may not do to it what mine did (or you may like those dry down notes.) Had it stayed the way it was in the early stages, this easily would have been one of my favorites.

In Bottle: Fruit and cream

On Skin: Food, it smells like a bunch of food, and they all meld together perfectly. It makes me hingry right away. I get butter right off the bat, then pineapple… the custard is thick and sweet, the toffee blends well with the butter… Yum! I smell it all, except the turkey which keeps me quite the happy camper. The pineapple comes more to the front, very juicy and slightly tart. This scent is so complex and keeps morphing, I have to say this is one of Beth’s most brilliant blends yet! While it isn’t something I’d like to smell like very often, it really does smell good and comforting. I think I’d love to use it as a room fragrance and as aromatherapy to help me feel “homey”. After the drydown, the toffee and toast are strongest. Sweet and buttery… so nice. Average throw and wear length.

Have you ever eaten a Toffifee? Well imagine eating a Toffifee and washing it down with a rich, butterscotch cream.

Yeah, Drink Me is like that.

:P

Thanks, lab, for the lovely lagniappe! :P

Off the bat: Butter, toffee, and pineapple.

It really is butter AND toffee, not just buttery toffee. Like a buttered popcorn jelly belly after you've bitten it, the sweetness underscores it. Definitely has fruit with it. There may be cherry, but my nose is horrible at picking out cherry, and mostly picks up pineapple.

Mellows into a buttery sweet cake-y scent with a hint of spice. Mmm... Pineapple upside down cake!

I agree with Macha, Drink Me is definitely a relative of Beaver Moon and the Monster Baits.

I get caramel toffee with a slight hazelnut vibe, light cherry, juicy pineapple, a buttery pastry-like note, and a creamy finish. Yum!

The drydown on me is like Jack meets Miskatonic U meets Beaver Moon! Totally fun and unexpected.

in the bottle: butterscotch, something nutty,

wet: caramel, and yeah i agree i am getting hazelnut type vibe, vanilla, creamy yumminess.

this dries sweet, nutty, dessert type scent, but not cakelike, and the butterscotch blew away. it is just that kind of warm, yummy sweet smell of hazelnut coffee w/ a hint of cream and a spoonful of sugar.

On me this is primarily buttered toast. Its bready, yeasty, and buttery; there's a bit of fruitiness in there, too, but it dissipates when it dries, leaving the crisp biscuit/toast/buttery smell. It smells like the buttery-crisp smell beneath all the unfortunate cassia in Monster Bait: Underbed. Which is awesome. I so wanted to wipe the cassia off the buttery biscuit smell in Underbed- and here it is. The buttery crisp biscuity scent that was half-hidden under the OD of cassia. Happiness! This is a fun GC addition, it's pretty unique in the BPAL pantheon.

Yeah. I bonded more with this after I wore it more. We'll call it a 5 out of 5, too. It lasts better than Eat Me.

Edited to add: I got a second bottle, a 10mL while I could, and found that the new one is a bit fruitier. Which is good. I like both, can't say I could decide which I like better actually. The buttered biscuit base is still the same, just with a bit more pineapple on it. Pineapple toast! Also like Eat Me, it gets to be MUCH longer lasting as a few weeks pass; my first bottle lasts like whoa, although the scent didn't change in other ways.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Dried banana chips and soft pretzels.

I like it, though. I'm definitely going to keep the imp around to sniff when I need a comfort food pick-me-up.

I get a lot of pineapple at first with some butteriness underneath. Pineapple toffee? It's a little odd... but then the pineapple kind of fades away and there's a buttery dough scent left. Toast with maybe a little bit of jam. Some sort of unusual fruit jam. I think I'll have to give it another try before I make up my mind.

Also, it's pretty faint; I'd have to put a lot on to really notice it.

ETA: Something about this smells perfumey to me. I'm not sure why, but it does. I thought it would be mainly foody, but that's not what it smells like on me.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Drink Me is very hard for me to pin down. It's soft - it just sort of swirls around me in a comforting cloud without being at all strong. It's sweet and reminiscent of cake and fruit, but I'd say it's better than those two things sound in a perfume. It's really nice, and unusual.

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Banana-Nut Bread candles.

In the imp: Toffee! And something cold and fruity.

On skin, wet: Beyond something very much like toffee, I can't pick out a single note. It's very sweet, cold and creamy, but utterly mysterious. I think there might be banana?

On skin, dry: This smells like a banana-nut bread candle. A friend of mine adores that scent, and has umpteen BNB candles, so I know the scent well, and this is it. Which isn't to say it's a bad thing: it's a great smell, and I have several BNB candles myself. Thing is, it's a foody smell, and I don't like smelling of food (with a few exceptions).

Conclusion/Notes: As a general, non-perfume scent, I love Drink Me. As a perfume, it's not to be. I like it and all, but I wouldn't wear it.

Edited by Aredhel

ah, Drink Me.

i always love Mad Tea Party scents as Alice in Wonderland, and THrough the Looking Glass are two of my most favorite books *ever*.

Drink Me is not a scent i'll likely wear, but that's OK, because for me these scents are about re-experiencing the Alice books in a new form. and Drink Me does that perfectly.

when i open it up i smell carmelized sugar, a huge stick of salted melted butter, and a whiff of toast. yes, toast. i swear to god.

on me, this is all butter toffee. with a lot of butter. there's a salt that lingers in this on me. it's really pretty cool.

Drink Me smells like Thanksgiving Dinner, and that's just the way i like it.

this would be great for wannabe fans of Gluttony, where it just gets *too* sweet -- you can wear this.

it's foody - and sweet - but also savory.

color me impressed!

n.

This largely smelt of wild cherry cough drops on me. (My 5 year old mentioned that it was a 'caramel' smell, but he held his nose when he said so.) It later faded to the smell of stale cigarettes.

I really have terrible luck with BPAL's foody scents. ::sigh::

In the bottle: caramelly. slightly fruity.

Wet: whoa! it does this weird buttery-rum-almost minty thing right as it touches my skin that smells very similar to Spooky! Then it turns pineapple-cherry-caramel. YUM. I think I might like this more than Eat Me.

Drydown: the fun fruity notes die down, and the caramel/butter note turns kind of funky on me, and this might sound weird, but it is kind of bready-corn smelling. Then it fades in to a nondescript foodish scent, just tinged with a bit of buttery-caramel notes.

No turkey, though. :P

I LOVE the wet stage on this. I'm going to let my bottle age a bit to get some really nice mixing of the notes, and try it in a scent locket. It's so yummy when it's bright & fruity & happy. =)

Drink Me

In the imp: mmm, butterscotch! This smells like a lighter version of Mitzvah, I think, only a tad creamier/fruiter. I definitely smell custard here too.

Wet on skin: now, a nutty scent appears on the skin, and the scent reminds me of caramelised pecans!

Dry on skin: this is delicious! Now I can smell cherry coming through-combined with the nutty note, it gives the impression of almonds, or marzipan. But the scent on my skin now is a wonderful mixture of sweet foody scents. It smells of vanilla custard (exactly like the one my mum makes!), caramelised pecans/almonds, cherry tart with marzipan on top and crispy pastry, butterscotch toffee, a little bit of spice to round the scent off…I don't get pineapple yet and thankfully I don't get turkey either! I can detect a little bit of toast, but it's not as overwhelmingly buttery as I feared. In fact, I love this scent so far! It's warm and rich and yummy.

After a while: coffee? Yes, now when I sniff close to the wrist, I get a lovely creamy coffee note, surrounded by nutty caramel. But the throw off my wrist is amazing-it smells just like real home made custard made with fresh vanilla pods, or good quality vanilla ice cream. Mmm.

Then, soon after, the buttered toast makes more of an appearance! And it's not as bad as I was expecting-I thought the butter would turn a bit sickly and loud (think Shill) on me, but it smells like genuine buttered toast here-toast with butter all melted over it, which I love. Buttered toast and nutty toffee…it's almost like Gluttony at some points, but a bit creamier.

The scent alternates between toast, toffee, coffee, nut and custard stages through it's duration. I don't get much fruit here now, just the really 'fattening' notes! There are times when this scent smells like vanilla ice cream served with a nutty toffee dessert, or praline ice cream!

After about 5 hours, I smell my wrist and finally...the pineapple turns up. It now smells like pineapple trifle!

Verdict: this is so much nicer than I was expecting. From previous reviews, I was worried that it would be too buttery or rich on me, but though it does have a butter note and is quite a rich scent, it's tuly delicious. It's very well blended, and the food notes in here are uncannily authentic smelling-for example, the custard note smells just like my mum's vanilla custard-I can smell the real vanilla pods infused in rich creamy custard in here, and at times, it takes on a vanilla ice cream feel. There's also a nutty note that reminds me of caramelised pecans and praline, a little bit of coffee and spice, and some pastry notes, lots of caramel, and a bit of hot toast with melted butter oozing nicely on it. I don't get too much fruit (just slight hints) and there's no turkey to be found. At times it smells like Gluttony, but with a creamier side thanks to the custard. It's delectable and wonderful, and it's a perfect representation of Alice's 'Drink Me' potion. This is the way to smell like a million calories and not put on a pound.

Emoticon rating: :P :D :D

Edited by yeahbutnobut

drinkme.jpg

Damn great. Compared to Eat Me, this one is somehow a bit sharper and less sugary but by itself it is a knockout. I think there may be something out of Trick or Treat floating around here, and it is used for great charm and nose stroking beauty. Wow. Another 10 ml, and another step closer to the poor house. But damnation, I will smell so very very good.

at first out of the imp, i get a bit of miskatonic u., and a bit of monsterbait closet - the fruity creaminess - but it has a distinct bitter almond/marischino cherry thing too. just heavenly. on my skin it's like marzipan meringue, baking in the oven.

this is like a bitter liquid toffee, meets macadamia brittle. can you tell i like it, yet?

it's dark and mellow, nutty, roasted and rich. there's a touch of hearth's nuttiness here, too. but more almond than chestnut. i love it.

Initially, this smells a bit like a bear claw or some other pastry with almonds and a light sugared frosting. After its been on a while, it smells more like caramels. It reminds me a bit of MB: Closet or Miskatonic University, both smelled like caramels to me. Yum! Along with the caramel, it smells a bit like maple syrup. This is delicious!

Overall, I like this one a lot. I think that I’ve already got my caramel fix cover for now – Mis U, MB: Closet and Red Lantern. But once I get low I know exactly what I’ll get!

My friend just let me sample her imp, and I think it smells like the gooey goodness of the underneath part of a pecan pie...yummy!

drinkme.jpg

Imp: Sweet gooey goodness--strong on the butter and sweets.

Wet: First on, this has a dark red fruity tone to it. Very buttery and cookie like, so it kinda makes me think of those jam filled cookies....Sweet brown sugar and butter with a dark red fruit jam.

Dry: This is a dynamic scent. The redness from the wet phase wears off, and it is a lovely dark brownsugar and butter smell. Occasionally I smell it and get caramel popcorn jelly-belly smell (kinda between midway and shill, i guess). Othertimes I smell it and the dark red smell is back. Sometimes I think its a wine. Sometimes I think its a cookie. SOmetimes its just ooey-gooey caramel. Its really fun! Captures the inspiration very well, though I must say i'm glad I didn't smell of turkey!

Overall: You know how midway is buttery and pink? Well, at the beginning, this one is buttery and RED. Its a deeper, darker midway, and more dynamic. Heavier, goo-ier. Overall, its just foody and delicious, and I'm wondering if i could get a bottle of this for days when midway is too light....The only thing that would stop me is a *very* slight syntheticy smell. I mean, so slight that i don't notice unless i'm really looking for it, but it makes me wonder if there's a hint of coconut in here, cuz that often does that on me. Its clearly not a lot, cuz i'd still consider a bottle. Its just. so. yummy!

Edited by jewelbug

I think that this was my most anticipated and longed for BPAL scent ever. I purchased a 10 ml of it the first day that it was released, because it just sounds that good.

Drink Me smells just like buttered toast, creamy-sweet custard, and hints of cherry in the bottle. On me, there's a burst of cherry and pineapple mingling with a buttery toast and caramel-like sweetness.

In the drydown, this is mostly a creamy vanilla-like custard with lots of rich toffee thrown in. I still get hints of the toast and fruity cherry in the background, popping up every once in a while. For a while the pineapple gets really strong and overly sweet on my skin.

Without the fruity notes, this would be perfect. As it is, the custard and toast make the hyper-sweet canned fruit smell bearable for me. So yummy.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

bpaldrinkme.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/lush...LDrinkMebot.jpg

In the bottle

Mmm, boozy eggnog. Yummay. icon_razz.gif

On

Sooo good, a fruity yet creamy and buttery scent.

It smells like pomegranates, fresh cream, butter and booze. Drink me doesn't smell as dark as Eat Me.

30 minutes

As it dries it gets more astringent and less creamy smelling. There's an undertone, very light, that smells smokey. I have no idea what the slightly rich and smokey thing is, but it's good. I can't stop sniffing my arm. It's a definitively non-sweet, foody scent in here, it almost smells like mashed potatoes and gravy? It's good though, it blends with the rest of the ingredients, not prominent at all. Popcorn! I think it's buttery popcorn.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody/Fruity ?

Summary

I love scents that take me on a ride; changing and morphing with little surprises around the corner, never losing the original wet scent. "The Caterpillar" is like that for me and so is Drink Me.

Starts out scented of a wonderful eggnog smell; creamy, fruity, than as it dries the buttery popcorn scent comes in lightly.

Purchase again?

Yes. This is foody yet different.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Drink Me vs. Eat Me -- I figured one of these would have the dry ginger-or-nutmeg note from Gluttony, and this appears to be the one.

I admire this greatly in the bottle, where it has a toasty, buttery, smoky, amaretto-cherry sweetness.

On my skin, it quickly turns into a dusty poof! from the spice drawer. I make it seem dirty, and not in a good way.

Oil warmer, here we come!

In the bottle this is a wonderful fruity-cake-baked scent, with cherry or pineapple or something bright, and then there's an almost Red Lantern kinda scent in there... Complex and foody, not too heavy. I'm actually a little bummed that there's no turkey to be detected.

On my skin all the fruit fades away immediately, leaving me with a kind of stale, generic "creme brulee" scent. All fragrances claiming to be creme brulee or milk or what have you always turn into the same scent on my skin, and this is that scent. Somewhat disappointing because it was so beautiful in the bottle.

I tried it on my hair and had much better results.