Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Scorched Oak & Blonde Tobacco

Scorched oak and a gentle tobacco with a tone of an almost butterscotchy vanilla ... Mmm. Scorched and butterscotched!

Strongly evocative of a mood and scene, this smells like a classic and timeless wood-paneled study of an individual with highly refined (and specific) tastes. Golden-blond wood with dark wood accents, a Victorian sepia-colored globe, an antique and unused cigar dish, late afternoon light slanting in between heavy earth-toned drapes to illuminate dust motes drifting in the air...

I like it. It matures on my skin into more of the butterscotch tone over time, a refined butterscotch wood.

This one opened with intensely smoky woods. The woodsmoke is a little more incense than bonfire -- it made me think of those palo santo sticks you can burn, possibly because I swear there's a slightly anise-y undertone to the smoke. After drydown, the wood and smoke notes calm down and the tobacco becomes the dominant note. There's something sweet and a little vanillic about this tobacco. It's like a lighter, sweeter version of French Tobacco without the astringency. This scent also gets very skin-close after drydown, but has great staying power.

This one is not for me. I don't think it is the smoke that doesn't jive with me -- the smoke is light and non-acrid -- but there's something farm-y about it that for a while that I just don't like before it becomes like a lighter French Tobacco mingling with some slightly grassy smoke. The end result is nice, but I don't like the farm-y phase that kind of reminds me of khus.

Edited by doomsday_disco

🙋🏼‍♀️ PETITION FOR THIS AS A BEARD OIL

This one is exactly what it says on the tin. Everything leans sweet on my skin so this is like smoky, woody, leafy hard candy and I’m very here for it. 

Now, I will wear anything that I enjoy smelling without regard to “gender”. But my spouse (who only wears scents when they are conveyed via beard oil) sniffed this on me and said “oh!” Sniffed again and said “that’s almost manly.” I told him what it was called and he said “yeah. I would wear that in my beard.” 

Hence my petition. Though I might nab a 5mL and mix up an oil of my own, since I know the chances are slim 🤔

I applied this on, gave it a sniff, then let it sit a bit, then huffed several minutes later and suddenly there was the smokiness - prior to that it was just sort of sweet, tree sap. Then some polished wood starts to come out. It's like a hipster handcarved a coffee table.

Most of the duets are lighter blends, which was something for me to acclimate to...I've gotten used to a solid perfume slap to the senses over the past 12 years (thank you may I have another) or maybe my snooter is dulled due to profession..?..anyways! With that said, many duets and menages read like hard to pin atmospherics, think Haunted or The Ghost. Something you can't huff yourself high at close contact but, it follows you and swirls around you.  This is case in point. Musky and verrryyy golden tobacco and slowly burning oakwood smoke...like seasoned wood on a good sunny fall day temps in the 50s getting a fire started before the sun drops down. I LOVE IT. While the throw is medium, watch it last through the shower and keep following for hours. 

This isn’t as thick of a tobacco scent as I was expecting.

It does start off very woody…scorched for sure. It is a bit acrid at the opening…though doesn’t have a lot of throw so it’s not overwhelming. A wave of the wrist brings out the rounded tobacco note, slightly soapy as this version of tobacco usually does on me.

Once it settles, it has a sweet quality. This is the part that is actually beautiful. When it becomes a full duet, I don’t detect as much soap, nor acrid scorch. It’s not a vanillin sweetness…not gourmand…but just a gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous sweet tobacco wood.

WOW. Upon first dab I absolutely did not find this that appealing but it is absolutely beautiful. 

I'm surprised at how much I love this one.  I expected the "Scorched" part to equal some smokiness, but this isn't smoky or burnt at all.  This definitely leans masculine (but I wear a lot of traditionally masculine scents and love them) and is all sorts of warm and snuggly, like a sexy lumberjack fantasy in a bottle.  

Scorched smells like soft, cuddly, brown leather, freshly cut oak, sweet tree sap, and earthy sweetness from the tobacco.  Warmly woody.  No green notes and no ash or smoke.  In the drydown, the tobacco note does have a hint of astringency and a metallic, gold glint to it, but only a hint of something sharper.  It feels comforting and casual.

A little bit cologne-like, fresher than I expected. I'm reminded of birch beer at first, and I'm afraid it's going to go kinda Pine-Sol on me. This is a young, green wood, and the tobacco is sweetening it without grounding it much. I like it better when that strong top-note finally burns off. The tobacco gets that warm, chewy, hay-like aspect. I get a vanilla warmth later and a clean wood smoke vibe that's really cozy. The longer I wear it, the more I like it. Fortunately the mellow phase lasts a long time. I might try layering this with something patchouli-based to see if I can bypass the initial sharpness.

For about 30 seconds when I first put this on, it smells like some kind of lightly spiced holiday pastry or something - but this doesn't last long.  The scorched oak comes in, and it smells more like what I expected from these 2 notes.  Over the next couple of hours it smooths out a lot and I think the tobacco comes out more.  Overall this is a medium-throw scent that smells pretty much what you would expect.  In other words it smells great!  The scorched oak reminds me of Dead Leaves On Fire, a little bit.  I'm not good at picking out tobacco notes but I think the other reviews so far are pretty accurate, the tobacco comes close to being a gourmand-ish note.

They were not kidding when they named this "scorched" - it goes on super acrid. The first time I tried it I washed it off almost immediately. The second time I waited through the acrid phase, and I started to get a bit of the fancy hotel lounge vibe as described in the 15 Minutes of Fume vid. Having had some fresh cut rounds of oak around recently, I can say that oak can be a bit funky, and I get some of that here, as well. The scorched oak overwhelms the tobacco (though it tries to put up a fight). Unfortunately, I don't like how this smells dry enough to be willing to wait through the acrid phase.

In the bottle there is definitely a nice scorchy smell, which smells more like burnt wood after applying to my skin. There's a higher pitch to the note when it's wet.

As it dries, more of the tobacco is evident, and I can tell it is a "blonde" or lighter note than the lab's tobacco absolute.

For me, this scent becomes very soft and beautiful, which was unexpected but welcome. I do recall that it was much louder when I got it six months ago, and now it has less throw, but I find it very easy to wear and it has decent longevity.