Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Adventuresome Encounters

Russet amber, tonka bean, oakmoss, sweet yam, cinnamon bark, and bourbon vanilla.

In the bottle: An unusual sweet-musky thing my nose can't quite identify in the bottle. 

Wet on my skin: I can smell that sweet yam! Sweet, chewy yam with an almost dessert-like quality due to the tonka, vanilla, and cinnamon. 

Dry: This is really unusual! Unlike anything else at all in my BPAL collection, but it would be since this is my only yam/sweet potato blend so far. It's actually a bit foodie-dessert like, though not quite into full gourmand territory. Sweet, chewy yam with gentle (not intense) cinnamon, tonka, and vanilla, lightened a bit by an unusual sort of amber, and I think the oakmoss is the herbal thing in the background keeping the whole blend from being a totally gourmand dessert scent. If you've ever had a baked sweet potato with dessert toppings like cinnamon sugar and melted unsalted butter, it smells kinda like that but even sweeter and slightly perfumier. Almost like...OH. I GOT IT. Baked sweet potato casserole with melty marshmallows and cinnamon on top, the kind you find at a Midwestern US Christmas and/or Thanksgiving dinner. If you want to smell like a slightly perfumier than foodie baked sweet potato casserole with melty marshmallows and cinnamon, this is your jam. Or your yam. Yum. 

This is a sweet creamy cinnamon vanilla pastry. Nothing complex here, but it smells great.

On dry down there is a musky 'yam like' note, I guess. I think I'm trying to avoid the yam because the rest is really nice. It is a bit strange. The amber comes out more and masks the weirdness from the yam note, which is great. This reminds me so much of another perfume oil but I can't think of which one right now. 

And, once this has been on my skin for an hour, the yam note is gone and this is one of the most beautiful perfume oils I have ever smelled.

Eta: I'm wearing this beauty today and finally figured out which oil it reminds me of. The drydown reminds me of Golden Sunrise from last year (plus a hint of cinnamon). I think it's the same amber even though this doesn't list amber cream. I love it.

Edited by HerbGirl

Loved the lighter cinnamon yam on application and actually felt it was a better Sweet Potato Musk but dries down to a super loud clingy sweet (I wanted to say fruity, its fruit type sweet, not caramel or honey type sweet) amber where as Sweet Potato Musk is linear on me. If you want it for a unique amber the dry down is for YOU as I have not smelled an amber like this one, but if you were interested in the cinnamon and vanilla yam and excited for a Luper with an autumn flair, everything leaves around the forty five min mark except this very unique and extremely bright amber. Super longevity, I also applied twelve hours ago and still finding the scent in my clothes and crook of elbow. It *is* pretty. I might come back round to it when I modify my expectation and embrace this as an amber dominant fragrance. If there are other ambers in the bpal library which are similar I would love to try those! 

Edited by Missanneshirleyofgg

This is glorious. The light (non-burny, non-cinnabomb) cinnamon and yam notes are the stars on me for the first three hours of wear, and to me, it's even better than Sweet Potato Musk. I agree with HerbGirl's description of this having a pastry vibe. Amazingly, the oakmoss doesn't take over on me like it normally does and just resides in the background, grounding the scent. After several hours, the russet amber starts to emerge and ends up becoming the dominant note backed by what remains of the cinnamon and yam. It's a creamy, musky amber that I believe may be the same one from the amazing The Geisha and the Samurai HG. Swoon.

I'm going to need a bottle. :heart: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

Cinnamon, a touch of yam and vanilla, and amber. This one is warmer, and spicier than I expected. Much more approachable. Medium throw and wear length.

At first application, the oakmoss is prominent, with a vegetal background that is enhanced by a woody spice note.

Pretty soon, though, the oakmoss disappears while I cry.

The woody cinnamon takes over, along with a dry amber that I'm unsure I like. 

Overall, it finishes as a slightly creamy yet dry cinnamon that is warm and woodsy.

Edited by saralaughs

On my skin, at least, the yam plays beautifully with the other notes. It's not unlike taking a whiff of a sweet yam casserole, albeit the subtle notes of oakmoss and amber make it perfume-y.

If you want a more subtle gourmet scent, I'd reccomend trying this out.

Who knew we need more yams in perfumery? 

This is a gently spicy, gently foody, comforting blend.  The yam smells akin to pumpkin, but is less aggressive.  The cinnamon is noticeable, but is added with a delicate touch, just a warm, dry sprinkling.  There's a hint of harshness from the bourbon vanilla, but it's very faint and will probably mellow more with time.  I think the amber and oakmoss just give this a bit of a dry, creamy texture to lay on and keep things from being too sweet.  This is the perfume version of really good sweet potato pie, and will be a lovely fall alternative to the pumpkin pie note that hates me.  💖  It's lightweight enough though, that it should be fine in the summer.  Cuddly and yam good.  ;) 

ETA: Since others have mentioned the amber, I thought I'd mention that my brain wanted to compare it to Amber & Lace which also has a beautiful, raspy but creamy sort of vibe that smelled vaguely foodie.

Edited by VetchVesper