Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

First review! Woo hoo! :lol: 

In The Bottle: Mostly the gingerbread. But, as with Gingerbread Vampire, don't let the name fool you. This is more like gingerbread *spices*- it's quite strong and actually doesn't come across as sweet at all. This is especially surprising with this mix, because there are so many sweetener notes in there with it. Maybe that will change once it warms up on my skin...

On Skin: Welllll...slightly. But far less than I would've expected, especially since I tend to amp a lot of those sweet notes, especially sugar and honey. I get the honey a wee little bit, and the chestnut is in there too to help round it out. I get zero hazelnut, molasses or nutmeg. :huh?:  

Layered with Ghost Milk: Two fairly soft scents, getting together, to create another soft scent :D  With Vampire, the Milk eased up the rough edges, but with Wolfman, I don't really think it's necessarily adding anything to the 
proceedings. That said, if you like your scents really foodie, I suspect you will LOVE this combo as it rings all the right bells in a gourmand scent and although I only got a few go this year's Monsters, I suspect that Wolfman will wind up being the most popular choice for layering with the Ghost Milk ;) 

I thought of all of them, this would be one I loved. In the bottle, it smells wonderfully of cookies and nuts, but on my skin, I can't even suitably describe why it is a pile of no. I get no honey. No gingerbread. There's some chestnut mostly and a lot of nutmeg. It's spice. Just spice and sorrow.

This is a dark gingerbread wolf.

On my skin, Wolfman is honey- and molasses-heavy, but each listed note can be found. Honeyed molasses dominate, with chestnut gingerbread close behind. Powdered sugar is sprinkled around; hazelnut and nutmeg are faint presences. The whole is weighty and sweet, but a bit somber, perhaps from the molasses.

Moodwise, this is the opposite of Invisible Man's levity. It's more growly and grave.

Wow this wolf bites! This is some very dark gingerbread - very much akin to to the Black Label Thirteen (Feb. 2009) minus chocolate. That Thirteen is all strong spicy ginger on me, and this reminds me a lot of it. The molasses and nutmeg are present, and I can detect the chestnut too, but this is more gingery than anything. For the first 20 minutes the throw was so strong and so dark that I feared I was going to have to wash it off. At 30 minutes it had tamed enough that I knew I could keep wearing it. This is still going strong 6 hours later. If you like strong, dark, spicy ginger scents, this one is for you.

Gingerbread Wolfman was the least gingerbready of the monsters I tried (mummy, witch, wolfman, and zombie). The spicy gingerbread was quickly tamed by the sweeter notes on me, and it starts off being a nutty (more chestnut than hazelnut), sweet gingerbread scent before mostly becoming a thick, syrupy dark honey and molasses scent on me (almost burying the gingerbread). 

I tried layering a drop of this with a drop of Ghost Milk on another part of my arm, and it was mostly the cozy white chocolate cashmere Ghost Milk on me with some honey peeking through.

Gingerbread Wolfman is nice, but ultimately too honey-heavy for me. If you're looking for a sweet gingerbread monster, this might be the one for you (it was the sweetest one I tried).

Oddly enough I get an almost coffee note, like coffee and nuts with a bit of spice. I think the honey or molasses is making this cloying on my skin. Meh. Can't catch em all. This will be a beautiful gourmand on the right person.

Wolfman decant arrived and he was just nuts. Then he calmed down.

I don't know what I expected but it was a blast of everything nutty, outrageously nutty, and no gingerbread. Weeks later, this is smooth and sweet and very enjoyable. I don't need a full bottle but I wouldn't mind another decant or at least a half bottle. 

In the imp this is super moist (buttery? Idk how to describe but like a super fresh gingerbread cookie straight outta the oven). There's a bit of hazelnut behind it. On mu skin the gingerbread fades way way and this is a powdered sugar and nuts scent. Very warm and gourmand. Eventually they balance out a bit. Sweet in that rich, warm, brown way of holiday baking. 

This is another of those scents that shouldn't work for me (I despise nuts) but for some reason I think I've got have it.  Probably 95% of the time that that happens, I end up liking or loving it, so I went against my better judgment and bought it anyway.  Chestnuts and hazelnuts?  This should never work and yet it does!

It has a soft, nutty smell (more like chestnut than hazelnut to me) that overlays the gentle spiciness of the gingerbread (all the gingerbread notes in these have been pretty soft so far to my nose; I'm hoping they strengthen with age).  Sprinkled over all that is this soft, sweet combo of the honey, molasses and powdered sugar. 

-----

I asked my husband what he thought (without telling him what I was wearing or anything about it) and his responses were initially that it smelled like a Cinnabon (I can actually sort of see that) and then that it smelled "warm and spicy, like something you'd wear in the winter" and "it's heavy, especially for this time of year." 

He's literally never give me anything other than "I like it" or "meh" or "no," before and he was right on all fronts.  But I'm still wearing this all year 'round because I don't hold with seasonal perfume.

EDIT: It looks like maybe my sense of smell is still suffering from post COVID effects since other people are saying the gingerbread note is strong in the Gingerbread Monsters line.  I'll bow to them and assume that my nose just can't detect that strength of scent yet.

Edited by Penance

Nutty and sweet gingerbread with a drizzle of honey. If I didn't know this was gingerbread, I would have guessed it was peanut butter cookies or something similar. 

If you were hoping for a strong gingerbread, this is probably not the Gingerbread Monster bottle for you. The nut notes almost drown out the gingerbread. Kind of a low throw too which is disappointing but not a complete dealbreaker. Pretty good, just wish the gingerbread note was a bit stronger!

Lush and rich and nutty! This one's strong and heavy on me - lots of nuts, lots of molasses, and a dark chewy gingerbread dipped in honey. I like it, but it's definitely a scent for cooler weather - it's starting to get hotter here, and this Wolfman can be a little overwhelming in the heat! But it'll be fantastic for autumn/winter.

Awesome Husband: "you smell like some sort of holiday baking!" I'll take that. 🙂

In the bottle: ...BBQ sauce? Huh?

Wet on my skin: Peanut butter and BBQ sauce. Oh dear. 

Dry: 5 hours in, and this has faded from strong peanut butter and BBQ sauce to slightly spicy peanut butter with a hint of what I can only describe as ball sweat (sorry). I can't smell any of the sweet notes; it's all salty, sweaty nut butter and a bit of spice, no hint of gingerbread. I...think this one's gonna need to age for a while. This is the first blind bottle purchase that has gone this wonky on me since Pumpkin Chypre in 2017, which eventually aged into something wearable, so it's gonna go sit in the timeout corner aging box for a month or three (or more). 

Wet: SHARP gingerbread, strong on the spices and chestnuts. 

Dry: Less of the actual baked good gingerbread scent, it's mainly just a spicy nut party. (Don't google that.)

You can tell it's still a gingerbread scent, but don't except it to be like Gingerbread Poppet, for example. This is more of a... gingerbread spiced nutty remix? Something like that.

Gingerbread Wolfman is strong and sharp at first, which I didn't expect from these notes. As it dries down, the gingerbread spice is still there, with some roasted hazelnut and not nearly as much chestnut as I would have like, but it becomes mostly about the honey and molasses.  And it's a very strong, dark honey, like those bees have been gathering nectar from Maleficent's garden or something.  Like many BPALs with a strong honey component, it lasts a long time on my skin.