Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Champagne & Maraschino Cherries

“Bright fizzy almonds” was my note from lunacy. Why does maraschino cherry smells like almonds? Because Maraschino cherries are cured with almond extract. Without the bright red fruit, and  the texture of a cherry to taste, I think “almond” and nothing else.

*twelve hours later the almond has totally died off and its a floral cherry. I get sort of a spa shampoo. 

Edited by Missanneshirleyofgg
dry down

Maraschino cherry is total almond, very sweet and syrupy, almost lip-balmy, like the Lip Smackers interpretation of an ice cream sundae cherry. The fizz in this Champagne is really, really cute, almost soda-ish but with a tad more refinement, and that's what sticks around after the cherry burns off.

I enjoy the sugary-bubbly drydown of this scent, where I get a young, fun, teenager-on-their-first-trip-to-Europe vibe, something reminding me of a champagne-and-tulips scent I really enjoyed from Bath and Body Works. I really didn't enjoy the top notes of the maraschino cherry, though, and I wouldn't be willing to suffer through that just to get to the champagne at the end. I'll look for other sweet champagnes from BPAL, I think. But this is someone's perfect junk food cherry and bottle-popper.

Sweet syrupy cherries with bubbly sugar. So far, this is my favorite cherry. Sweet, bubbly, innocent. Good throw and wear length.

Potent, fizzy cherry-almond syrup. Mostly cherry-almond syrup when wet; more champagne when dry.

This is the bubbling red potion your D&D party bought on their last trip to town, even though the dealer admitted not knowing what it does. Whoever drinks it might have the lowest impulse control, but everyone will appreciate getting to see what happens next. 

Yum!  Bright sugary cherry.  Very Maraschino.  The champagne adds some tart fizz to keep this from being cloying.  The over all effect reminds me of Shirley Temples.  The champagne stay strongest on my skin.  I end up with an almost citrusy, dry champagne that's only sweetened a touch by the cherry. 

I really like this one.  Unfortunately, it doesn't last long, and becomes nothing but a faint trickle of fizzy Maraschino syrup within a few hours.

I love the Lab's champagne blends, and this one is no exception.

Strong, sweet maraschino cherry immediately when wet, over the dry fizz of the champagne note. I really enjoy this wet phase, where the cherry is strong and juicy and verges on that almond-cherry scent, but if you are not looking for something that absolutely screams "marachino cherry!!" for a while, you should skip this one.

As it dries, the cherry backs off a bit and the scent becomes a softer cherry champagne, like a champagne cocktail with a couple maraschino cherries fizzing in the bottom. Good throw, and the scent lasts a long time in this softer phase.

This was my only blind bottle buy from the Lupers, and I don't regret it. If you enjoy the Lab's champagne blends and want that sweet, sticky maraschino cherry scent, this delivers.

TL;DR: Every single thing about this perfume did the opposite of what I expected.

Maraschino cherry juice in the bottle and on the wrist. yum! There’s a slight plastic/Play-Doh note skirting around the edges, and I am getting zero fizz, which is highly unusual for the Lab’s Champagne note.

It’s becoming more perfumy as it dries, which is another surprise. I’ve never had cherry turn “perfumy.” It’s a good development, don’t get me wrong, just unexpected. The plastic note has also departed, which is good.

It takes a good half-hour before it even starts to fade; normally the Lab’s cherry vanishes from my skin in under five minutes. What’s underneath is pencil shavings (cedar), not Champagne. No almond, unlike everyone above me.

I don't get almond from this, but I get a blast of cherry candy from the start, almost like those cherry gummies I had as a kid. unfortunately, within a half hour, all I'm getting is champagne, which is lovely, but I wanted both cherries AND champagne. 

Thoughts before testing: Hopefully the champagne will prevent the cherry from going too cough syrup on my skin. 

Wet: Ooh, this smells like cherry Starburst (my favorite flavor). 

Dry down: The champagne takes over and turns the entire thing into a fizzy, pretty scent with just the slightest hint of cherry. This is super pretty. 

Dry: The cherry comes back for the final dry stage and mixes so prettily with the champagne, making it sweeter and more vibrant. I really like this. 

Final thoughts: I've been following BPAL for almost 10 years now and my collection is in a really nice place: not an overwhelming amount of bottles and a nice representation from all the major scent families with heavy emphasis on sweet/gourmand and spicy/warm scents. I don't have any cherry or champagne scents in my collection though, and I'm pleased as punch to have found this. 

Verdict: Upgrading to a bottle.

Testing a sample gifted by a friend. At first, super strong maraschino cherries, a little dizzy. Strong, syrupy, and sweet. It dries down quickly to a gentle cherry note on my skin, and stays very close to the skin. I don't mind the drydown, but overall I don't really like to wear cherry or almond scents. I'm going to try this on my grandson and see what he thinks! It might be perfect for him!

This is just delicious in the bottle and when wet: boozy maraschino cherries. I don't get the almond note though, or at least I never noticed it when I wore this out. As it dries down, the champagne becomes the star but it's not as fizzy as I had hoped (my gods do I love it in Bon Vivant). It's really pretty overall. I only wish there was a better balance between the two scent notes. 

Wet: Sweet, bright cherry, lifted by a hint of fizz

Drydown & Dry: Gummy, red cherry with a sparkle of brightness. It essentially smells like a Shirley Temple with extra cherries.

7.5 out of 10 bones

Sigh, this one was a disappointment. Definitely cherry, but I am not getting the lovely lab champagne note at all. This is incredibly sad for me because that is my favorite people note along with cherry so i thought this scent would be my holy grail! But it’s more of a cherry soda than cherry champagne.

The cherry, however, is very nice. I am not a black cherry fan at least I don’t like BPAL black cherry very much. But this is like the perfect maraschino cherry. Keeping even tho the absence of champagne is sorely missed !

This starts off with a wonderful, bright, candied maraschino cherry, backed by champagne, but the champagne quickly takes over, and it's soapier than the champagne I'm used to seeing in Lab scents. Seriously, it's more soapy than fizzy on me. Wahh. :(