Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Bastet

… Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

Bastet is best described by me as "luxurious."

In the bottle, this smells like sweet almonds, musk, and incense. I really don't get where others are getting cherries. It could be because maraschino cherries are flavored with almond, so maybe that's where they are recognizing the smell.

Wet on my skin, this is sweet almond but the saffron and musk are coming out strongly. It's turning quite spicy and lovely.

Dry on my skin, the saffron subsides and a sweet spicy muskiness is left. I can't stop sniffing my wrists! This one's a keeper. Maybe even big bottle worthy. It's actually a versatile scent- I can see myself wearing this out at night, to work, or to just relax. It's warm and sexy and spicy and powerful all at once. It's actually what I was expecting "O" to smell like!

I'm glad I hadn't read this thread before I put Bastet on, or I never would have. All the talk of almonds and cherries would have scared me away for good (fake almond or cherry scented things makes me want to vomit and tops my list of least favourite scents in the world). However, I put Bastet on without any idea what was in her, and I'm very glad I gave her that chance!

This is pure, luxurious HEAT. A hot day without a drip of humidity. The sun beating harshly down without relief.

I've only ever tried amber in sweeter BPAL scents (like "O"), so this is a change and I quite like it! It's rich and spicy and hot. The musk and something I can't pin down are the front and center here. The almond is present, but not at all "fake". It's real almonds. Quietly balancing the other notes with a grounded, nutty warmth.

This is absolutely gorgeous, I just don't know if it's "me". It may not be a scent I wear often, I will appreciate the heck out of my little imp!

Edit after several hours: This one sticks around, which is usually a good thing. But in the case of Bastet, it has started to have an "old lady perfume" quality that isn't sitting well with me. I'm not sure which note is the culprit, but I'm reminded of one of my great aunts whenever I catch a whiff. *sigh* Sad.

Edited by Tiada

new to doing reveiws, but wanted to try it.

I am an amber addict and so far bastet is my favorite bpa oil. What a nice sweet amber this is!

in the bottle, very sweet amber, almost a candy smell.

wet on skin, the amber really comes out, sweet, middle tones, not too dark, not to light,

dry on skin, the amber blends into a dry sweet smell. ambery, but not soaked in amber, not candy sweet anymore, lightly sweet, resin sweet. almost a sweet wood, earth and resin.

I love this one!

This defiantly one of those cloudy rainy Saturday scents that should be worn while reading a good book with a hot cup of tea by the fireplace.

In the imp: Smoky amber, musk and something that reminds me faintly of cherries.

Wet: Cardamom is the dominate scent on my skin which is perfect since is one of my favorite things (Cardamom bread...yum). The saffron comes into play along with a whisper of myrrh that keeps me sniffing my wrists. Spicy and lovely.

Dry:Sweet almond and spicy cardamom. How I adore this! I'm not sure if this is the lotus, but through the spice I smell something floral that keeps the woodsy scent on the feminine side without becoming too bug-spray floral. The almond is not as strong on me as on others. For me the cardamom, myrrh, amber and musk is the strongest which I am not opposed to at all.

Final verdict: I L-O-V-E this! Defiantly bottle-worthy. Plenty of throw (in a good way) and great staying power. I would rush out and get a bottle but first I think I should work through the assorted BPAL scents I already have.

edit: I recently received a frimp of Bastet and it must have been a different batch or aged (or something) because this one was clear in color and smelled more like almond extract than anything else. You learn something new everyday: almond loves my skin, so this scent is still in my top ten

Super edit: I did get a bottle, and adore it. Lady Macbeth came to visit for the month and I thought I would wear Bastet just because I felt like it. On my skin I still smell everything okay but it seems a bit off, like soda that has gone flat, this is weird. Yay for crazy skin chemistry and hormones.

Edited by TheFrenchWaffle

I figured I'd enjoy Bastet since it's fairly similar to Black Lotus in terms of the scent description.

When first applied: Okay, who replaced Bastet with Dragon's Blood? That's not funny, you guys.

Just starting to dry down, though, the scent shifts to that wonderful sweet lotus and myrrh smell that I'm familiar with, but with a strong spicy kick behind it (probably the cardamom). Later on in this phase, I can very clearly distinguish the saffron as the lotus runs off and hides somewhere, taking all the sweetness of the scent along with it.

Eventually everyone but amber and saffron wander away from the party, leaving me with a pretty herbal kind of scent.

About half an hour later the lotus realizes that it forgot its coat and comes back, then ends up hanging out with the amber and saffron for a while.

Bastet is a pleasant scent that morphs in all kinds of interesting ways on my skin, but I don't think I'll be springing for a bottle. The sexiness of it clashes with my personality.

I just reviewed Scherezade and figured I should come over here and confess my love for Bastet.

Scherezade, for me, is hot, dry, spicy goodness-- a serious storyteller, beautiful but in an unapproachable sort of way: regal, if you will.

Bastet is like her sexier, friendlier little sister who flirts with you but isn't an inappropriate tease (not like her friend O, who makes a good layering companion if you really want some fun times).

Basically, I adore this blend. I get all the fascinating Middle Eastern spices warmed up by the amber and an almost honey-like sweetness. I don't get any cherry (comparing it to the overwhelming cherry I get in Blood Kiss).

Although I wouldn't exactly call it a foody blend, it reminds me of baklava in a way: almond-y spicy goodness. A decadent, rich dessert, but not SWEET FOOD YUM.

One caveat: After several successful wearings, she seems to be toying with throwing some powder to my nose today-- never noticed that before. However, I am going to chalk that up to stupid body chemistry changes and order a bottle anyway.

Almond extract is my secret ingredient when baking; it looks like it may be a secret ingredient for blends that work on me, too!

Sniffed: Bright spices, musk and almond.

On skin: Vivacious spices float above dry, golden amber and warm musk. Almond is playing well with the other spices, and there's a non-spice honeyed sweetness that must be from lotus and myrrh. A dry, smooth and light blend; relatively simple, yet with full-bodied character. Bastet really does evoke domesticated cat and wild cat simultaneously: sleek, golden, languid, and predatorially alert. Colour impression is the golden fur of a lion.

Verdict: What can I say? Bastet is beautiful in every way. A sterling example of the Lab's scent artistry, and a definite keeper!

First Sniff: Something very tart. Citrusy even.

Wet: I think I can detect amber in this. Although the potency of it is starting to bother my allergies I think.

Dry: As it dries it softens a bit and I can smell the red musk.

My Reaction: The softer smell was pleasant enough and it does smell like a dry dessert. I think after complete dry down there was a hint of the almond mentioned in the description. However, I don’t think this one’s for me. It’s making my eyes water and my nose twinge. Could just be a bad allergy day so I’ll have to re-visit this one later, but right now it’s unfortunately not the soft, furry scent I’d hoped it would be.

Rating 1-5: 2

ADDED Sept. 15:

Reviewing this one again.

First Sniff: Sharp and pungent.

Wet: Something spicy, perhaps the amber?

Dry: As it dries it starts to smell dry and almost dusty. Better than last time, but we’ll see how it finishes.

My Reaction: The spice was interesting and once it dried completely it mellowed out a bit and a hint of cinnamon poked through, which was nice. There might even be a tiny bit of vanilla balancing out the cinnamon, but I’m not sure. I like the softer smell of this one. Once I had it on for awhile though, it started to make my nose twinge again. So I don’t think it’s something I need to keep. Oh well.

Rating 1-5: 2

I ordered a whole bottle of Bastet because the description alone was too delicious..

Bottle: It must be the saffron (or the lotus?) that is a really sharp and stingy note in the foreground. It's leveled with a soft and sweet almond (just like marzipan really) in the background. Musk and spices give it texture. It's solid, sweet, a bit tart.

Wet: A bit medicinal and more tart than in the bottle. Mainly sharp & dark floral but with the sweetness of almonds.

Dry: Tart and spicy. Will see how this will develop within the next hour. Though not perfect, it's a great scent. Musk and amber really take a step back on this one, but the body seems even stronger that way. Among the spices, cardamom seems most dominant. All in all, this is really nice, and I think this is a perfect evening an/or fall scent.. or even late summer, depending on your mood.

After a while, the tangy sweetness of amber, a soft cardamom and almonds prevail. This is really delicious on my skin!

Edited by Honey

I don't really care for myrrh all that much, but when I tested Bastet I knew I had to have a bottle. It's just amazing. First thing I notice is it's a much thinner oil than most of those I use. It actually runs in tiny amounts - almost the consistency of water - and a little goes a long way, so be forewarned.

Wet on the skin there's a really sharp spiciness which I attribute to the saffron, sweetened by the soft and gorgeous lotus. I really enjoy this stage of the scent and wouldn't mind if it stopped right here, but what it morphs into is equally as nice.

Dry the lotus switches places with the longer-lasting cardamom, and this is where the almond and amber take over. It's not either too foody or floral (I hate foody and floral). The saffron is still present even hours later, though you pretty much have to press your nose to it to get more than a hint of it. The almond adds a sweetness that isn't cloying at all, and after a few minutes this turns into a subtle, sexy scent that lasts nearly all day.

In all I love this blend and it's netted me some great compliments.

In the Imp: Warm cherries and the same creamy amber that floats on top of O.

Wet: Amber and cardamom

Dry: Heartbreakingly...soap. Floral soap...this must be the "golden lotus". Not good.

An hour later, something is emerging....saffron? There's a fragile golden spiciness under the soap...but this is not a "brief soapy phase". This is going to take a couple more hours to really bloom like I'm hoping it will....

End of the Day: Powdery incense, lightly musky, faint hints of spice....

Overall, Nice, but there are other scents that like my skin more...and that's just too much soap to wade through.

Edited by Autumnsky

On wet: Marzipan. This smells like sweet fresh marzipan, the kind my friend makes for me on occasion. I was a bit worried that the almond would go cherry on me, because I'm not fond of cherry scents, but this is staying very true almond.

Initial drydown: Still almond, but the amber and a hint of the spices start swirling.

Further on: spicy, sweet, amber and almond. The almond and spices make this somewhat foodie, but it doesn't smell like you're living in a bakery. Love it.

In the imp-Beautiful, musky amber.

Wet- Warm amber with a touch of a musk, but not so much as to make it masculine.

Dry- The floral scents (is that the lotus?) are starting to come out now, and it smells lovely.

Overall- It reminds me of O, but less sensuous and foodie, and with more musk. It’s the amber without the honey. It definitely makes me picture ancient Egypt, hot sands, ancient tombs, and incense filled temples to Bast. It seems like a very mature scent, something that would be worn by adult women, but still sexy. Very regal and majestic. I am definitely getting this as a 5 ml.

In imp: I'm getting almond and amber. Smells like a public bathroom at this point but almond often gives me that impression.

On wet: Still getting just almond and amber, kind of has a snake oil smell to it as well.

Dry: As it dries the bathroom smell is gone and the amber has become really lovely. I am still reminded of snake oil by this for some reason. Must be the spice mixture or something. Eegh, in my elbow the almond is really pungent, on my wrist it's almost only spice. I'm not a fan of almond but with these spices and amber it's bearable and all around I think I like this scent. It's very light at the moment with poor throw but my body heat often fixes that. This is a very unoffensive scent. Understated but elegant. I prefer the lion to this one for sure though.

Without looking at the notes, I sniff this in the imp and think this is Hecate. It's that strong, alcohol almond note that I like.

Wet: The almond note is strong like in the imp, but it's immediately plumped out with awesome, resiny amber! I love amber!

--While this is drying down, I'll go sneak a peek at the notes.--

I wouldn't have been able to peg the Egyptian musk, but now that I know what I'm looking for, I can find the lotus and the saffron now. This is so beautiful, but I think it's fading away!! No! Come back!

Dry: Wow, this really got weak fast. The almond burnt off first, I think, so that left the blend smelling much blander. Now the golden lotus is the top note. The amber that I love so very much is still there, but it's not as glorious as when the blend was wet. I'm really surprised because BPALs almost universally get better as they dry on my skin, but I really liked this one wet.

A little more time goes by, and this gains a powdery edge, which I know is from the amber, but I like that.

Even later and this has gained back a little power and smells like powdery (but still resiny) amber topped with the lotus. The almond actually came back for me, though as a bit part. This is really subtle, but complex and absolutely brilliant. There's hardly any throw.

Overall: Though my favorite stage only lasted for a matter of minutes, Bastet is lovely throughout. I would wear this when I want to be unobtrusive but still classy. I think this is what I expected from O and La Petite Mort.

Rating: Though I'm torn about exactly what I want to give this, I've gotta go with a 4/5 because although I loved everything that I smelled, I was disappointed when some of my favorite notes burnt away so quickly. I can live with that though - this is special!

ETA: Nah. This deserves to be upgraded to a 5/5. I come back to Bastet all the time. It's heart-achingly beautiful, and appropriate for most days. What a true winner!

Edited by Rho

Here's to hoping that the almond and lotus don't ruin Bastet for me.

Wet: Complex. I can smell the almond immediately, softened by, oh god, saffron! I LOOOOOOOOOVE saffron. Ah, I think I get some of the lotus as well, but it's not nearly as cloyingly sweet as in Black Lotus. After 10 seconds on my skin, the almond quiets down and provides equal space for the other notes, and... I really like this, so far. It's spicy and golden, with warmth and sweetness beneath the spices (probably the amber and musk). At this stage, I have a hard time separating the individual notes, they've melded together into a lovely whole. This is a softer, sweeter and more feminine version of Anubis to my nose, which is a bit interesting because they have, what, one note in common?

Dry: Augh, the lotus hath returned. Bastet is now slightly musky, barely resiny bubblegum. WHYYYYY. :cry2:

In the imp: it reminds me a lot of Hellcat right in the imp - it's spicy, sweet, I get maybe some honey, almost a note of cherry-lip balm or something

Wet: Oh wow, I love this scent - it's very warm, toasty, and sweet - it's almost like a Morocco/Vixen lovechild to me

Drying (~1 hour): I *really* love this perfume - it has become more spicy, toasty - smell reminds me of cinnamony Hellcat after a few hours, mixed with a little of the sweetness of something like Vixen

End of the day: Definitely a winner, especially for the wintertime.

EDIT AUG 2014: After breaking this baby out again, it has a definitely similarity to Hellcat in that the almond really comes through on me; but it's more bright and less spicy than Hellcat. I still see this as a great winter scent - I definitely get the amber, the spice, and the almond most - smells like amaretto. Love almond - may or may not get a big bottle of this since I already have Hellcat but will definitely keep the imp! 4 stars

Edited by Morsigne925

Oh Bastet. Enthralling, luxurious, feline desire.

I got my imp straight from the lab... and. oh. my. god.

Let me just say I had high expectations, Bastet being one of my personal deities-of-choice. :D I was not disappointed.

In the imp: Berry-sweet with a touch of spice. Seriously, I get the image of dripping red berries. O.o

Wet: Still very sweet, a deep and well rounded juicy sweet. Ah, there are some of the other notes... this had some fierce throw while wet! But am starting to get the spiciness and am starting to fall in love... there is something sharper and dry coming out that balances the sweetness...

Drydown: Can I have a bath in this? Everyday? Please? Its drier now, hard to describe... dry and sweet like a dessert wine, and is definitely evoking feline for me. It's very full bodied, with something almost incense-like floating in the background. And there is some kind of floral, but it is so well blended that I can't pick it out. The throw is moderate; it definitely surrounds me but I don't think much further than that.

Overall, I'm in LOVE with this and upon my next paycheck will be stocking up on a few bottles. It's unique to me and absolutely sensual and stunning. For me, this is definitely a warm 'come hither' smell. :wub2:

5 stars!

In the Imp (ITI): Sweet almond to the point of being cloying. I can also smell the powdery notes of the amber, but it smells like a marzipan cake store to me. Mind you, marzipan and I are not very good friends – both on the scent and the taste level.

Wet: The almond stays strong, although I start to get some whiffs of myrrh and cardamon. The scent is getting better, but the marzipan scent really isn’t doing anything for me.

Dry: The almond gets less sweet as it dries and the overall scent takes on a slightly more spicy and resinous quality. It’s okay once it’s dried, but it’s still too sweet for me.

In the imp: Myrrh, almonds and amber.

On me: Amber and smokey myrrh mixed with a dash of lotus.

Half an hour later: Floral myrrh with musk and amber, and something..fruity? Hm.

This one isn't really a scent that I would wear, I'm not the biggest fan of myrrh. :c

I don't remember trying this one, but I found it in my swaps bag. That meant I took such a dislike to it I didn't even bother adding it to My Stash or writing a review.

I would say that it was most likely the amber I took exception to - or rather, my body chemistry did. I don't do well with resinous scents, and this one had tons.

Bastet was a frimp from the lab :smile:. It's not something I would ordered for myself because I generally try to stay away from Amber and Myrrh, but I am really happy that I tried this because I like it alot more than I expected too.

It starts out with very warm musk and amber, there is something sweet in this too - I would have guessed honey but perhaps it is the Saffron. It smells like a beautiful, sweet incense. The Myrrh stays in the background and I can hardly detect any lotus. This is lovely :wub2: the only down side is that is becomes a little powdery as it dries down but it's not as powdery as I would have expected with all of that Amber. Maybe, the musk counteracts powderiness. It reminds me a little of O, but it's not as sweet or as powdery, and the spices give Bastet a bit more depth. Overall, this is a warm, exotic scent that I am starting to become really fond of. Thanks lab for giving me a frimp of this beautiful scent or else I might not have tried it otherwise.

Edited by becca_s

I have really wanted to love this one for so long now! All the notes, save almond, sound amazing! For some odd reason, though, this one always manages to smell like cough syrup on me. Almondy cough syrup. :( I will still try every imp I receive in hopes that it will someday work on me.

Why, Bastet, why? :cry2:

In the bottle I get a warm almond, the maraschino-cherry type. On me it's a warm, sweet scent. Gypsy Moth also had the Egyptian musk and cardamom combination, and it's one of my top scents. I can pick that combination out here as well - it's what I would describe as dry and sweet. It kind of reminds me of cinnamon sugar. Overall, the scent is warm, spiced, and resinous from the amber and myrrh. I really imagine a bright golden expanse of sand when I smell this, and as Bast is a solar deity, it suits her well.

(Full disclosure: I am a follower of Bast; I get the feeling she is pleased with this oil, as she is a goddess of ointment/perfume as well. Yay all around!)

First on: clove -even though it's not listed, that's the strongest of the many scents I am experiencing. Clove, grounded by something earthy, maybe the amber.

Drydown: a wamr, yummy skin scent. I love this, just with it didn't fade so quickly.