Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

I see Kitsune-tsuki as a lighter, wispier, more summery development of Old Venice,

And Dana O'Shee is like Eclipse without the weight, spice, and heft behind it.

Maybe the former can be for hot summers and the latter for colder months -- i love all four of them!

lorajc, since it appears that you've tried both, what do you think between Hellcat and Old Port-Au-Prince? I haven't had the pleasure of trying either but am debating between the two. The descriptions sound vaguely similar to me. The only difference I can tell in the Reviews thread is that Port-Au-Prince gets more of a masculine nod.

Could you please elaborate? Thanks!

I thought that Bordello and Persephone were similar until I put one on each wrist to compare and it seems that Persephone is rosier and Bordello has a creamy/vanilla undertone. I love them both, though!

Did anyone notice that there is something really similar between O and Samhain? It's like O is Samhain without the cidery apple scent.

Maybe it's just me!

lorajc, since it appears that you've tried both, what do you think between Hellcat and Old Port-Au-Prince?  I haven't had the pleasure of trying either but am debating between the two.  The descriptions sound vaguely similar to me.  The only difference I can tell in the Reviews thread is that Port-Au-Prince gets more of a masculine nod.

Could you please elaborate?  Thanks!

I've tried them both as well, and I can smell mor espice and bay leaf than butter in Old Port-au-Prince. Hellcat is more buttery, more boozy and hazelnutty and not so spicey at all.

I really want to like Glasya. I love the warmth and spicyness of it. I just can't like the way it turns powdery on myskin. Can someone recommend something similar that doesn't have a powdery dry-down?

I would try Lillith. I think it is similar but BETTER!

I'm not sure Lilith would be the best suggestion, though I don't know what else to suggest. Musks has a tendency to turn powdery with some body chemistries, so it's likely that anything with a heavy musk component (like Glasya) will go powdery on you as well. I read your review of Lust (which also has a heavy musk component) and it sounds like it had similar results, so I'm better Lilith would go the same. I'll think about some alternate suggestions, but in the meantime my advice is to avoid scents where musk is more than an accent note.

For me, personally, I believe I found out the Civet in Glaysa doesn't go well with my chemistry. My chemistry is fine with musk, but Lust was little weird on me also and vanished quickly. I'd at least try an imp of Lillith unless you know for sure your skin does not do well with musk.

OK, there is something about Spellbound that I just adore and it's almost perfect. There is just this...uh....twiggy/acidic smell in it that I'm not a fan of. I don't know which part of the scent I love and which part gets in the way.

Does anyone know of something that smells similar to Spellbound but with out this sharper note?

Also...take a stab at what you think might be bothering me. Could it be the red musk? I don't think I've tried anything with red musk yet.

Hmmm, I don't know the smell you're picking up is, but Haunted is similar to Spellbound, except it doesn't have the rose. I don't know. Maybe you should look up other scents that have amber, musk and/or rose and see what else comes up.

Could be the musk... amber isn't sharp, and you'd probably know if it was the rose you didn't like.

I love Spellbound, and another deep rosey scent that I love is Black Rose. Maybe that would work for you?

Interestingly, I think Tamora is far more like Carnivale than it is like Katherina. I thought it was a whole lot like Carnivale without the berries. I couldn't smell the peaches in it at all; just a warm sweet goldeny scent. I love it.

I thought Katherina was kind of like Hunger; like Hunger with apricot. (I like the apricot but don't really like the orange blossom, so I was not a huge fan of Katherina, but I adore Tamora.)

And actually, I think Hellcat also picks up on some of the same notes as Tamora and kicks them up several notches -- it takes the warmth and the sweetness of Tamora and adds a kick of wood or smoke or something; it's like a wicked, nighttime version of Tamora to me. They smelled great to me when I layered them recently.

It's funny how we all have different opinions about these pairings! And so interesting to me; I think if there is a note you really like or don't like, you tend to think scents that share that note are more alike than someone who doesn't have a strong feeling about that note would.

So far Velvet is my absolute favorite and I can't get enough of it. I'm looking for other scents I will love just as much. :P

In general I like: warm, wood, smooth, spice, vanilla, chocolate, a little sweet but not too much, and of course sex.

I do not like perfumey, soap (I seem to interpret most green smells as shampoo), or powder smells.

I only like floral notes if there is a whole lot going on besides the flowers. Rose is my favorite floral.

I have already tried: Tombstone, Burial, Cathedral, Anne Bonny, The Empress, Vice, Bliss, Snake Oil, and O.

Any Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

~Roja

Hey girl! I think you'd like Phantom and Scheherazade, too. I'm all out of Scheherazade but I'll let you smell my Phantom when we meet up (I'll call ya tomorrow).

I love Hellcat and was wondering if anyone knows of any other oils that are similar but more masculine. I'd like to get hubby something similar to Hellcat, which I wear quite a bit.

Thanks!!

:P

Old Port-au-prince sounds like it might fit the bill??

Dark, decadent and incomparably exotic: the rich scent of buttered rum flavored with almond, bay, clove and sassafras

The reviews mention it smells good on men too.... :P

Yes, definitely Old Port-au-Prince. That's the first scent that came to my mind as well. Let us know how you and your boyfriend end up liking it, ebonykawai. I also imagine the new Hellfire might have some similarities to Hellcat as well.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. :P A lovely gal that I am swapping with has told me that her 2 favorite BPAL fragrances are Spellbound and Bat's Blood. I had considered sending her a Spellbound imp that I have in my collection, but would prefer to send her something different to test out. Can someone tell me of some other BPAL fragrances that smell somewhat similar to either Bat's Blood or Spellbound?...and perhaps I'll have it in my stash.

I'm relatively new to the world of BPAL and am hoping that someone with a bit more expertise could guide me in the right direction. Many thanks! :D

If she likes Spellbound, she would probably like either Black Rose or Harlot. While neither of them smell just like Spellbound, they're both deep, rich rose scents with a twist... Harlot's got a shot of cinnamon that makes it just fantastic.

Yes, Old Morocco has stolen my heart but my skin has stolen the scent. Is there anyone that can recommend something similar to that sweet and spicy lover Old Morocco that has more power, more oomph?

Edited by ivyandpeony
edited title to reflect change in name of fragrance - Lab removed "Old" from a number of Wanderlust names