Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

For the folksy FBI agent in your life. Reminiscent of a classic 1950’s men’s cologne with a shuffle of paper, a briefcase-snap of black leather, and yesterday’s cold coffee.

I just slathered on Lordy, and holy god, it is glorious! This reminds me of The Magician from the Crimson Peak line - one of my favorite cologne blends. As it is drying down the coffee starts to come through. I was hoping for something that could make me think of Agent Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks - and this does it just right. No paper or leather on me, but it may change over time after it's had a little time to mellow on my skin.

I absolutely agree with the OP - this is the closest to an Agent Dale Cooper scent that I could imagine!

In the bottle - the cologne, coffee and leather, wrapped in a papery scent honestly just smells like... a fatty joint.

Once it hits the skin, the papery smells settles and the cologne and coffee shine through, and it's damn good.

tumblr_oqdx4w0ZPo1ve941ao1_1280.jpg

Edited by ozpinhead

I love the inspiration for this one and I LOVE coffee and leather notes, so I had to get Lordy (also: add me to the Agent Cooper group). After a week of resting, this smells in the bottle and on my skin predominantly of the "cologne" which to me smells a bit like Squirting Cucumber, and with black coffee lurking just beneath it. The cologne is watery green and not super cologne-y and "aquatic.", but extremely smooth and makes for a surprisingly delightful scent to wear for the summer. Lurking just beneath the cologne is the scent of hot black coffee, which I love, though I admit the pairing of cucumber+coffee is a bit unusual. The leather aspect is very faint. I think I'll be reaching for this one a lot this summer!

I just got this today in the mail, so I'm hoping once it settles a bit that some of the other notes come out to play....because I was really, really excited about this scent, and right now, it's mostly cologne, but not a harsh or in-your-face one.

I'm glad someone else mentioned cucumber, because I get that as well, and was kind of wondering if my nose was broken. There's also a faint hint of leather lingering in the background (there's a dirty joke in there, pertaining to leather and cucumbers, somewhere...)

I'm not getting any coffee, and if the shuffle of paper is there, I'm not picking up on it.

To sum up: on me (and in the bottle) it's a sleek, aquatic, vaguely cucumber-y cologne that's been spilled across a black leather briefcase. Not offensive or unpleasant, but unless it changes with a bit of settling and/or aging, this one will be off to my swaps!

I sniffed this at Will Call but did not skin test--all I could smell was coffee. I'm very sensitive to it, and any blend with even a little coffee in it is going to scream nothing else to my nose. Not a super useful review for y'all as far as how it wears, but just a counterpoint to those who might be sensitive to coffee like me.

I ordered this on a whim, but I ended up liking it a lot. It is mostly cologne on me, but it's a light cologne, bright and fresh and a little lemony. I get a bit of the paper in the dry down, but the leather and coffee stay pretty faint and in the background on my skin. The throw is is medium on me, not overpowering but it does linger all day. It's a light enough scent to wear in the summer, but I think I'll get the most use out of it during the fall.

I got this mainly to help the ACLU and was expecting to either like it okay or to dislike it if the coffee was too strong.

It's now one of my top ten favorites BPALs. Wow!

On me, the coffee is strong for about five seconds, then settles down behind a slightly aquatic traditional cologne with leather notes that come out to play as the blend settles. I think men who prefer more traditionally "masculine" scents would really dig this (I, however, am not a man and will wear it regularly.)

I picked this one up mainly because the label and name made me laugh. I'm not really loving it as a perfume yet, though. It reminds me of scents like Cheesecloth Ghosts and some of the plasticy type single notes. It smells like crisp, new notebook paper, glue and wet paint on my skin. Within a few minutes, I also get a generic, sharply lemony, musky men's cologne. Then hints of toasty, warm, slightly bitter coffee and dark leather creep in underneath that generic cologne and plasticy glue scent.

I don't like the musky citrus cologne in this (prefer Wilde for that sort of thing), as it's thin and sharp to my nose, and the warm coffee and dark leather just don't mesh well with it for me. It's like it's trying to go in too many directions at once and can't form a cohesive scent on my skin. It smells chaotic and jumbled to me.

Cool manly cologne, swig of coffee, and a ton of shiny black leather. Masculine. Strong. Good throw and wear length.

After applying: Refreshing. Cucumber with bright lemon. There's a hint of dill maybe or even salt, which is a little worrying but it soon morphs into a green aquatic cologne. The green fougere with lemon reminds me of Virgo 2016. Like that scent, LORDY is also bright and uplifting, but it's aquatic rather than earthy. Not as lemony either.

I was a little worried about the leather and coffee notes, but somehow they don't clash horribly. Maybe because I barely notice them. The coffee/ paper is like Misketonic U on me. Only a tiny bit of coffee. The leather provides a base note, coffee provides faint spice. (Disclaimer: My skin eats leather.)

One word: Spiffy. I like it but I may not be neat and stylish enough to wear it.

Edited by patina

I was worried at first, because the first wave of scent was very aquatic and cucumber-y. But it settled down after a few minutes, and then started smelling exactly like my BPAL box. A little green, a little musky, a little leathery, a little foody. Incredibly well-blended, warmer than I was expecting, and just utterly familiar all at the same time.

SO MUCH LOVE! :wub3:

I don't know what's up with the 2 previous reviews. I get neither of those things. I tested this on my husband. I was worried because I didn't want it to be overpowering on any of the notes. Surprisingly, they are lighter than I was expecting, and blend well together. It does totally remind me of an Agent Cooper working in an office. I wouldn't say it's similar to any name brand colognes, and it's not strictly a coffee or leather smell. It's just the mashup of all of those together, but with 3-4 hours to wear off.

I bought this because it made me laugh and the cause was an excellent one. Having watched all of James Comey's testimony, how could I not love the name and the concept? I purchased it with the intent of giving it to my spouse, but I also tested it, and it is indeed what it's described to be -- a classic mid-century men's cologne, but with strong whiffs of leather and slightly bitter coffee. My husband says he'll wear it when he wants something a little less dark and ominous than his usual favorites, or he wants to smell a bit more traditional, but still has the satisfaction of knowing he's wearing something from the Lab.

So I'm firmly planted in the "Aquatic cucumber" camp as well. I do get a layer of leather though. When I huff the leather I think the "Aquatic Cucumber" better blends in and then becomes Cologne. But if I back off again - back to aquatic cucumber. I think this one is all skin chemistry.

I purchased this for my husband on a whim-buy. As he said; "I don't want to call it basic, but... I mean if I look at the counter and go 'Lordy or Dee?' I think the answer is obvious". I love him. Yes, Dee is the obvious answer <3

That said ; on him this is ENTIRELY leather cologne. 100% that's all it was. Morphed into a musky, "generic" man scent. And, to him, this was just a really crappy version of Dee. Completely different than how it smells on me.

At Drag Con, this smelled mostly like a sweet cucumber cologne to me and the boy. He liked it and the label art, and I told him that the proceeds go to the ACLU and that I'd buy him a bottle. The next day, when he tried it, it was still cologne-y, but not as strong on the cucumber as before, and I could smell the leather and paper notes on him, but not the coffee.

I've decided to test it myself to see how it goes on me.

In the bottle: Cucumber cologne and cold coffee and a bit of leather. I'm surprised that I'm getting the coffee from the bottle now, as I did not originally.

Wet: I'm getting the cucumber cologne mixed with the cold coffee, the latter of which is actually quite prominent on my skin! The coffee really does smell like it is cold.

Dry: It remains that way for a while, with the coffee being slightly stronger than the cucumber cologne.

After several hours, it's mainly cucumber cologne with some paper, cold coffee on me, and a bit of black leather.

Verdict: This is not a cologne scent that I would likely reach for myself, but it does match the description! I'll just have to remember to place this bottle where the boy will remember to apply it.

The generous boyfriend of a generous swapper let me have a tester of Lordy, which I've been eyeing for a while but the reviews are all over the place. (Thank you!!!) Wet, I got an aquatic cologne that made me wonder if the 1950s FBI agent was wearing Aqua Velva. I'm not sure I've ever even smelled Aqua Velva, but that was what my brain served up. There's something about an Aqua Velva man.

90 minutes later Lordy has developed into a skin scent on me, a light cologne with hints of leather and coffee and probably paper too. It's very nice, smooth and unisex. At first I didn't think I needed a bottle, but it's rather appealing in this phase. I'll try it a couple more times and see if it continues to grow on me.

Wet: The paper note is really strong in this on me, and I really like it! I was expecting cologne, but this is really nice. It's somehow warm and clean at the same time, and has an ineffable quality I am having a hard time describing. I can't really pick up the leather or coffee. It's mostly just paper with hints of an almost green or herbal sort of cologne. It does smell kind of like an office, the more I sniff at it. It's different, and interesting. Not completely masculine so far, I would say more unisex leaning a bit masculine. I don't think it would be particularly wearable on me. but I am enjoying it all the same.

Dry: Dries to a skin scent, still mostly paper but now a hint of smoky leather comes through too. It's actually kind of great. I can't see myself wearing it, at this point I just have too many amazing perfumes to choose from, but I am really glad I tried this, it was not what I expected. Lovers of paper/book scents should give it a shot!

This is a very cold scent to me, and I don't pick up on the leather or coffee much at all, as some other reviewers mentioned. It does smell exactly like a classic men's cologne, which... does what it says on the tin, but probably won't do it much on my skin.

After a few months, it has aged into something I like a little better, but of my full-size bottles, it's the last I reach for. Will try it out for a little while longer, but ultimately I guess I'm not a folksy FBI agent.

I love this one. It really does feel like a stereotypical FBI G-man cologne. The cucumber in the cologne has this old-school vibe to it, and the coffee is black, no cream or sugar here. The bitterness with the freshness of the cucumber-y cologne somehow works so well, and the squeaky clean leather rounds it all out. And the paper note shows up on the skin at the end. Unisex but bordering on masculine.