Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Louis Boulanger
Oman frankincense, black clove, and tobacco tar.

This is a beautiful sweet frankincense (definitely the same frankincense in All Souls) and the clove adds a little spice. Super up my alley! Lovely and simple. I feel like this is destined to become a favorite.

In bottle: Someone said this reminded them of paint thinner and I have to agree

Wet on skin: Cloves and a dark, smoky background. Not campfire smoke, but something more sinister.

Dry on skin: A rich clove scent (not husky or dusty) sweetened with frakincense with a barely there dark bitterness in the background. I'm not familiar with tobacco tar, but this must be it. It doesn't smell like anything i know as tobacco.

Later: The bitterness gives way to what is indeed a recognizable tobacco note, which merges with the other notes to form something seductive and slightly sweet but so far from foody or cloying

It gives me kind of a feminine vibe, which I'm really surprised by, but I think that a man (like me!) could also pull it off. I'm testing this at the same time as Dead Leaves and Tobacco and SN Bonfire and this is definitely the sexiest of the bunch and, I think, my favorite. This scent is intense -- intensely dark and intensely seductive. Certainly a bottle to be reserved for special occasions, but I am so happy to have one.

Frankincense can be iffy on me but this blend really makes me a believer. Enemies of clove need beware, I'm afraid, but luckily I adore cloves in all forms. The tobacco is really a supporting player, so if you are a fan of frankincense or clove, I'd take a chance on this incredible blend.

Edited by gentle-twig

Whoa, this is love at first sniff! The clove and frankincense just sing together, with the tar providing a velvet-deep backup harmony. The notes list may be simple, but the blend is full of rich, unexpected nuances. It's like the lovechild of two of my fave LEs: Smiling Spider and Minotaur. Very highly recommended to other clove+resin fans!

UGH. Tobacco, sweet clove and frankincense. This smells like the best cigar smoke you've ever had. Masculine, but who cares. When you smell this good, just go for it. Decent throw and wear length.

Smoky, rich, tobacco.

first impression: Vicks vapor rub- ALMOST (some BPAL nails that note imo)

also almost xmas pine but not exactly

it really smells like something I would expect in a xmas candle lol only a touch more medicine-y

yeah, not a keeper for me.

Nomnomnom. Yummy clove takes the lead in this scent. It’s sweet, spicy, and that lovely shade of dark brown so deep it verges on green. At the throw level it almost smells like spice cookies, such is the fierceness of its yumminess. But at the wrist the clove is partnered by beautiful clouds of blackened tobacco. Keeping the darkness in check is the frankincense, giving a touch of that shimmery-bronze resin quality that it has. Gorgeously balanced and exactly what I wanted it to be. If you like spice and smoke this is a no-brainer.

9 out of 10 bones

In the bottle: Powerfully sweet frankincense.

Wet on my skin: A gorgeous, shimmery, spicy blend of frankincense and clove.

Dry: LOVE. Three of my favourite notes in this, so there was literally no way this could go wrong on me. It's primarily sweet frankincense and warm, spicy clove, with an undercurrent of the Lab's tobacco note, which is one of my favourite things in the entire catalogue. It's a fairly simple scent that doesn't morph very much, but it's an absolutely gorgeous shimmery, sparkly deep (very deep) reddish-brown from start to finish. The only way this could be better is if the tobacco was a little bit stronger, but I suspect it will naturally do that as it ages. Definitely one of my favourite Weenies so far, and prooobably my favourite clove-dominant scent so far.

Edited by DiesMali

Resins unite! This smells like Christmas! A lot like Midnight Mass actually, its more of an atmosphere blend, and not for me.

I just got this in the mail and I love it! It's clove and more clove. I ordered 2 more bottles. Love at first sniff!!

I love this one -- my first impression right out of the bottle was all clove. I can't pick out a specifically tobacco-y note, but it has a wonderful dark smoke note that gives way to lingering frankincense as time goes on. (The clove sticks around on me, though, and I'm not complaining.) For some reason it reminded my mom of Constant Comment tea -- I'm assuming that's on the spice front, but she swore up and down she got black tea and orange notes out of there too. If they're there, they're totally lost on me, but this one is a fave for me. I got this in the same timeframe as Conjuring An Armed Skeleton, and I keep almost mixing them up, but it's not at all dusty or powdery, even as it starts to taper off.

Total love. A beautifully blended scent that stays true on my skin from first application to lingering dry-down. The frankincense in this is gorgeous - bright and golden, with a touch of citrus, balanced perfectly with the clove and grounded by the tobacco. I regret I only got one bottle; I think I'll have to hunt down a backup.

Edited by Ethaisa

Somehow I passed over this, and then it was offered to me in a swap. I thought, why not? It's right up my alley -- a simple frankincense blend, quite similar to Midnight Mass (but without the odd "banana" note I get from MM!). I think it's spicier and warmer than Cathedral, thanks to the tobacco and clove notes.

Clove cigarettes in church, what a picture! The frankincense note just gets bolder and bolder. This is a good one for the lapsed Catholics.

Wet: A blast of the big bully Frank (he's a bully on my skin) but then the clove and tobacco come in and round things out a bit. I can smell Frank trying to reassert himself. Hoping tobacco and clove hold their own.

Dry: FRANK. When am I going to accept that pretty much everything with Frankincense in it becomes a single note on me? GIVE IT UP, LIZ.

Wet, it's New Skin (liquid bandage). 

Dry, it's New Skin plus a dark black smoke, with a chewy frankincense softening and rounding it out. Despite the heaviness of the listed notes this is quite delicate on me and all but disappears after an hour or so. It's medicinal but not terribly so.  

I like it. Fans of Aerodynamic Junk might like it too.  

Edited by supreme_c0rt

Testing blind, I got frank and clove.  So proud of my nose this morning!  I never really got a lot of tar or tobacco.  So a spicy rich resinous frank, not a sharp dry one, that lasts for hours and hours on me.  Although I would have liked more tobacco, I really appreciate this one.  And as a lapsed Catholic, I loved tinyvulture's summation.  

this is honestly one of my top ten bpals. i agree with some other reviews that this is all about the frankincense with some added spice from the clove. the clove and tobacco aren’t very prominent on their own but give the frankincense a really gorgeous base to shine from. the clove is more of a suggestion of spice than anything else but compliments the frankincense beautifully. this lasts forever on me, after 8+ hours a hint of it is still there

Edited by DiZZysTARdust