Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Dormouse

A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

In the bottle: Slightly floral and very green. Clean and light. I like!

On the Skin: Wow... strong floral but light, appley and green. Crisp and lovely!

After a While: Green and fresh with just a touch of tea.

Verdict: Loves it!

Very lovely and fresh spring scent. Like a nice cool cup of green tea steeped with flowers. Very nice, but I like my tea with sugar...

Overall, It's a great concept, and a lovely scent... but a little too sharp for my scary and dark resiny tastes.

Oh, The Dormouse. Here's the conversation about it after I applied it at a Meet-n-Sniff:

Me: *sniff* ...This smells like beer.

Friend: O_o You need to take a break and go sniff some coffee!

Me: Seriously! *sniffs again* Man, this is BEER! Smell it!

Friend 2: ..........Yeah, that's beer alright.

*Everybody sniffs my wrist and agrees*

So yeah. Dormouse = Beer. I don't get it either.

I can't believe I never reviewed The Doormouse. It is my favorite of the Mad Tea Party blends.

A profusion of pink peonies releasing a cloud of fragrance. Underneath the herbal scent of the teas keeps it from being too much. I love this in the spring. It makes me feel cheerful and carefree!

A stunningly soft, herbal fragrance. This is one of my favorite MTP scents. A slightly sugared tea with herbs and peony. In my experience peony is not an overwhelming floral. Vey soft and almost gives off this feeling of magic. Has a clean laundry drying in the outdoors vibe to it.

I am really getting bergamot out of this! Yumm :P This is crisp, fresh and almost lemony with a strong and almost harsh note of bergamot on my skin. While I get Earl Grey with cream and sugar from Severin, this is a great WAKE UP! scent - like a teabag left in a mug for an hour that bites the tongue when it's cold.

this is a favorite and realized i hadn't reviewed it.

on wet- very lovely peony with tea/lemony/herbal notes underneath.

dry - mostly lemony tea. i love this. its a clean scent.

In the imp: Lemon and green tea and a delicate sweet floral! I'm in love I want a big bottle now. So pretty and delicate!

Wet: On me I'm getting hints of green grass. I love green grass. I'm more in love with this scent! It's still lemony. I get some ginger and white tea coming out from the grass.

Dry: It's fading quickly. But it's still pretty. Reminds me of Kumiho, but this stays on me longer, and there's a green grass note.

Overall: Very, very pretty, clean, and delicate. I love it! Fades quickly, but it's pretty enough for me to want to buy a big bottle anyway!

in the imp it definitely reminds me of kumiho and embalming fluid - that crisp green tea scent dominates. on my skin the soft florals bloom a bit, but this is NOT an omgflorals scent; they just balance out the crispness so it doesn't turn too sharp (which for me kumiho does sometimes, almost smelling like spicy mustard). I definitely love it; not sure if I need a bottle, but it is lovely.

Why’s it so.. sour on me? Like a very sour green-tea, with citrus. Gah. It’s just sour tea, that’s been in its cup too long. There’s some flower there, too, probably, that makes me not want to drink it. It’s very sad, because I’d really hoped to love this one. Bitter-citrus tea with some strange flower in. It makes my mouth pucker like if thinking of eating a lemon raw. Which is strange, because there shouldn’t be lemon in it.

I thought I would love tea notes in perfume, but it turns out that I was so wrong (excepting White Rabbit... and I can't tell that there is tea in there).

The Dormouse is very pungent and sharp to my nose, slightly sour green herbs and teas. I can't get a breath of peony or of respite from the sharpness. So sad. :(

In the imp, it seems to be like fresh peony.

Wet on the skin, it broadcasts peony at first. Broadcasts peony for about an hour and then disappears.

Not a keeper. People in the next state could probably tell I was wearing a peony scent.

The Dormouse starts off very fresh and citrusy. Like green tea with lemon indeed, but with a hint of peony. After a while the peony comes more to the fore, first strongly, but then it becomes milder. It's quite a lovely scent, but I cannot for the life of me make up my mind. Due to the dominance of (mellow) peony on drydown I just associate it with femininity, which makes me think 'well that's not for me then' but then it is a nice scent on its own and I have had a compliment about it. Hmm. Still, it just doesn't seem a guy scent to me.

Ahhhh :P

This is so nice. It really smells like tea!

When I first put it on I noticed something lemony and fresh but then after a moment of being on my skin the magic happens and I get a fresh breeze of tea. It's like I'm in a tea field sitting on a freshly dried comforter holding a lemon and then wind picks up blows the herbally goodness all around me.

But then it goes poof :D

I slathered it on my skin and hair and on my turtleneck but it still is very soft and faint. Makes me sad. Still I might get a bottle because I get wafts when I walk sometimes.

The first BPAL I've tried with a definite green tea presence. (I've tried black and white tea before.) The Dormouse does smell like bright, crisp light tea with garden herbs. The peony is subtle and melds with the green to give it little splatters of floral color to cut the greenness. It's pretty, but not terribly interesting or terribly beautiful. It reminds me of nice lotion. It's still nice enough that I'd keep it around for spring and summer, and it has moderate but subtle throw when it's around, but the problem is that it fades very quickly on me!

Imp: SQUEE! I love the smell of tea!

Wet: It's light! It's crisp! I think it's a winner!

Drydown: It's so dainty! I love it! This would be the *perfect* summer scent...Or anytime, really!

Overall: Love it, love it, love it! Crisp and clean with a beautiful complementary floral. This is totally going to be a bottle buy :)

Another lab frimp for me!

This is a very refreshing, light blend.. it definitely has a 'green' feel to it, but that would be a pale mint-shade green, not a dark earthy green. I can smell the tea in there at the base, but I'm guessing it's the peony that's giving this the overlay of sweetness. After a short while, it dries down to a very soft and powdery almost citrus smell. I'd say this would be perfect for wearing with a pretty summer dress whilst walking barefoot through long grass.

The Dormouse is largely pale, icy green tea to my nose. It's a sheer scent that strikes me as very innocent and cleansing. The herbal quality is faint, but I definitely get the peony on close examination. I get a heady breath of it every once in awhile, and it's dead-on the peonies I have in my backyard. This is a good fit for spring, and light and simple enough to wear anywhere.

This starts out almost mouth-puckeringly tannic with a hint of greenery, but morphs -- the peony comes out more and more until that's mostly what I get on my skin. The tea shifts from strong green to lighter black with sugar, so the end result is a floral sweet tea. Nice and very likely a good, mild-mannered office scent for some people, but not really my thing.

I got this as a frimp from the lab in my latest order. I think they're psychic; it was on my wish list.

Initial Sniff from Imp: Smells like Earl Grey tea!

Wet: Strong tea; hard to say what kind.

Dry: Tea, tea, and tea. I don't smell any other notes. It's nice, very soothing, but not very complex. I might wear this to bed.

Out of 10: 8

I decided to try an imp of this because I enjoy tea, and I was not disappointed.

In the bottle: Smells mostly of tea and is nice and light.

Wearing: The peony scent comes out more but without being cloyingly floral. It strikes a nice balance with the teas. Staying power is about 5 or 6 hours--not terribly long, but not bad. No real scent morphing here.

Overall: Quickly became a favorite, and I bought a larger bottle because I'm going through the imp quickly. This scent is light enough to wear to work. I don't know what the herbal scents are in this, which I like because it means that I don't smell astringent or like an herb garden. This scent also converted me to florals, which until now, I thought I didn't like. The Dormouse is an instant pick-me-up! :D

The first time I wore this I felt that it just vanished, but as I didn't have a very strong reaction to it I thought I'd try it again, and this time it smells fresh and pretty and green. Sadly, I don't get any tea. It's not something I'd wear on a regular basis, but it is very light and unintrusive, and I think I could wear it to work if that niche wasn't already filled by Ether. There's something lemony in this, for me, but it's very light and not tart, like the lemon is floating in the tea my nose can't detect.

This smells exactly like someone's clean laundry.

That may seem good to you, but if I change detergents I get sick. I walk around all day, smelling something off, and when I figure out what it is, the smell is suddenly everywhere. Oh, I so wanted to smell the tea in this! I drink tea everyday. I lived in England, I love tea. I dream about it. Great heaping cups of black tea with a little sugar and some 2% milk, overbrewed to the point of bitterness, I love it. And I was excited about the prospect of tea with the gentle scent of peonies.

Nope, laundry. And not just laundry, but HURRAH LAUNDRY! Gak.

Oh, so not for me.