Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Cardamom tea, orange peel, mate, oakmoss, tonka bean, sweet cedar, and costus.

This was very hard to decipher. I can smell spicy tea and cedar. It smells weird. I didn't like it while it was wet, but dried to something that reminds me of a generic Lush scent. Wtf, that 2 butterfly scents so far that has happened with. And I haven't really bought lush in years, I just like to sniff it. I know this isn't a very helpful review I apologize. Tiny hands solid moisturizer. That's what this reminds me of. So bizarre.

I can smell each of the listed notes, but it seems like a jumbled blend when fresh. I have a feeling this will be absolutely stunning in a few months...

For some reason the cardamom tea smells like galbanum to me...very interesting. :-) im really glad to have a bottle of this and cant wait to see how it morphs :-) As a cardamom lover, im quite happy.

Blergh! Nope, not for me.

For some strange reason I was reminded of black olives upon first sniff, but then it got worse. Very medicinal smelling, almost like cough syrup. It’s clearly the cardamom tea, but I guess I’m used to richer blends that use it like chai. This is plain, watery cardamom spiked with dry oakmoss and cedar.

Clearly this is meant for those who love cardamom in all forms!

On my skin, this is a very lemony tea scent - I don't actually get much cardamom tea from it, more like earl grey tea...

I can faintly perceive the wooden notes, too, but not by much. I have never been good at distinguishing oakmoss, so I don't know about that. It's probably there, grounding the scent in the background.

It's pleasant enough if you enjoy tea scents :smile:

I'm curious to see how it ages in a few months!

This one just makes me feel like I am wrapped in my favorite afghan, sipped a mug of hot yummy tea.....yet I don't get the emotional associations that foody scents usually give me. That's a good thing, as I don't generally like to smell like food lol. Quite comforting and gentle, like a hug from your sweetie :)

ITI: Sour, sharp tea. Not a great start.

Wet: Tea and orange are the most notable, with something high and sharp behind it. Something almost like citronella is hanging about, but instead of being gross, it gives a sharp lemon coolness to the blend which I find surprisingly nice. This quickly settles into a sharp, citrus green tea, which I am really coming to enjoy.

Drying: The tea is very much fading, but what is blooming is a remarkably dimensional and sweet orange. There is a flower keeping the orange in check which I can only assume is costus, though I am unfamiliar with the scent, and there is a little roundness from the cedar which makes this really warm and spicy. As much as I love cedar, I am very glad it's a background player here, so this orange really gets to bloom.

Dry: Orange heavy and really delightful. Now that it's dry, I'd say this is mostly a spicy orange, with a little deepening from oakmoss and cedar. The teas are not distinct anymore like they were wet, but they are adding a depth to this along with the tonka that makes this very comforting and beautiful

I got this on a bit of a whim hoping for a good tea scent, but instead, I think I found my dream citrus. Not foody, long lasting and complex. A winner in my book. Hopefully, aging is kind to this. I know cedar and oakmoss age well, so I'm excited for this all around.

This is strange, not what I expected. When wet I get a generic fruity scent, which dries down to a lovely creamy lemon tea scent. This fades after an hour or so and I'm left with a dusty, woody, tonka. I wish the middle stage lingered a bit longer, right now I'm not sure on it.

This is amazingly nostalgic for me. It reminds me of my backyard as a kid. This scent encapsulates the local flora, the sun baked towels we would lie on, and the wood of the old gazebo that came with the house (of which hundreds of butterflies fluttered around every summer). The tonka, orange peel, mate, and cedar stand out the most for me giving the blend a creamy citrus and wood vibe. It is both warm and refreshing.

Southern Cloudywing is a warm, powdery, slightly cloying scent on me where none of the notes really stand out from the fragrance as a whole. It reminds me of Tyler Candle's 'High Maintenance' fragrance, so I keep thinking that it's more of a room scent than a perfume one.
This scent is mostly sweet powder on me with a very light dusting of nondescript spiciness and slight citrus tone from the mate. Fades quickly, only lasting about a half hour on me total.

I can rarely wear perfumes that list a citrus note. However, I've noticed that the ones I can wear always specifically list zest or peel. This sadly, did not hold true for this blend. I am amping orange scented cleaner so badly that I feel like I fell in a mop bucket. -_-

On me this started out as a sharp herbal lemon verbena, and then slowly morphed into lemon ice tea. This felt a bit aggressively tart and flat and wasn't as complex as I was expecting. Not headache inducing, but I wish I'd gotten just a half decant of this one and more goat weed leafwing.

Edited by somacat

Hmmm, this is an interesting one. I love citrus and I do not get much of a citrus vibe from this at all. There is a note here that I can't identify, but it smells very distinctive...maybe that's the cardamom. (I need to go and see if I have any in my spice cabinet so I can compare it to this blend.) Anyway, whatever that note is goes a bit weird on my skin. It's not unpleasant, necessarily, but it's not something I enjoy, either.

I wanted to give this a week to settle before I reviewed it. The first time I tried, the notes hadn't really married together yet. The scent on skin was kind of soapy, which while not *bad* it is also not perfume. Giving it time was the right thing to do.

I can smell the delicious cardamom tea and the gentle sandalwood. It feels like sitting in a clearing, drinking my favourite chai and admiring the beauty around me. Very soft - but not invisible. It sticks close to the skin and I like that. It's something that can match a summer day or be perfect to recollect that summer's day when the elements are not so kind.

I'll love my bottle and am excited to find out how it ages. <3

On wet, this makes me think of licorice. As I sniff deeper, I get lemon and something minty, and cardamom. With tea.

Honestly, there is something both summery and deeply comforting about this blend. It smells like a Southern summer - sunshine, iced tea, horehound candies. It's light, pretty, and what I would say has a deep golden brown vibe to it.

I think I must be attuned to oakmoss, because once this is dry, oakmoss and soft powderiness is what I'm getting here. Reminds me a bit of what I remember of The Ring, which is also beautiful.

In the decant: I definitely get the cardamom tea, orange peel, and mate. Alas, something has a licorice-y vibe to it (I think it is the cardamom tea), and I don't like that at all. I hope it isn't like that on my skin.

Wet: The licorice-like note is present, but the orange peel note is attempting to drown it out. Then, the orange peel and mate are the dominant notes, making this a citrus-y tea blend. The licorice-like note is still present, and now I am wondering if that is due to the cardamom tea or the mate. Alas, I am not a fan of drinking mate, so I can't say I am particularly enjoying its presence in this blend. The note with the black licorice quality just keeps getting stronger. I am not liking this at all. It's kind of like Miss Spink and Miss Forcible's tea leaves, but with orange peel instead of bergamot, and cardamom tea and mate instead of a grassy green tea leaf.

Dry: Whatever it is that is making this black licorice dominant... plus some orange peel.

Verdict: I ordered a decant of this because I am usually interested in tea blends, but there is something in this one that is just not agreeing with me. I am glad that I went for a decant instead of a bottle, because this is just NOT for me.

Smells of spicey, orange tea! I definitely get lots of cardamom and orange peel in this. On the drydown, I get the more woodsy notes. I feel like this is a very autumn scent, and as fragrance lush said, it does make me want to curl up in a blanket, with some tea and a good book. :wub2:

In the imp: Ok, getting.... stuff... in the imp. Definitely the cardamom....and other stuff

Wet on skin: So on my skin, I'm getting cardamom and orange peel.

Dried down: Orange milk tea. Interesting. That's something I've tried and failed at in real life because the citrus tea tends to curdle the milk.

Throw: Not much.

Verdict: *** for now. I am a fan of tea scents. I think I like this, but I'm not sure. I'm definitely intrigued by it. I think I'll be hanging on to it to see how it ages.

In the imp, I get cardamom, maybe oakmoss, and cedar? It kind of smells minty, even though there's no mint listed, and I see that at least one other reviewer has had the same impression.

Once wet on my skin, the sense of creamy mintiness gets stronger. I know it's not real mint, though, since when I sniff it and try to compare it to mints I know, I can tell it's different. But something about the oakmoss combining with the brightness of orange and the spice from cardamom and cedar give it that edge. The orange peel comes out more as it dries, though it's not the super realistic pith and peel of Eastern Comma - this one is more of a dried, possibly candied, orange peel, but it doesn't dominate.

Cedar gets stronger as it dries, and combined with the cardamom spice and the orange I'm actually reminded of going christmas tree shopping! It's not really a super cold weather scent, though. I think it'd be very lovely for cool fall evenings.

Licorice is a note I just dislike. I know it isn't listed, but I can definitely smell it in here.

When I first tried it on I got licorice and lemon. I had to check the notes to find the mate, which can read lemon to me. After it settled down, I got black tea, which is another note that just doesn't work. So, licorice/lemon/black tea. I agree with the reviewer above that said it seems like a watery cardamom. I was hoping for some more support from the cedar or tonka, but this is a thin reedy scent and I'm going to pass it on.

Wet: orangy, spicy cardamom tea. -->this is ok???very fallish, but there is something off about it...

Dry: turns into chai tea scented room freshener...something is reacting with my skin to make it chemically smelling...pass!

Kind of... odd. Woody, spiced tea with citrus squeezed into it. This smells like the kind of tea I'd rather not drink, actually.

I see people are mentioning licorice, and I sort of get that, but it's not quite descriptive of how it smells to me. It's like a dry, anise-ish spice. It doesn't really remind me of cardamom, even though I know that's the listed note.

The citrus is pretty light, and more of a bitter, herbal sort of citrus.

I recognize the cardamom from Gypsy Moth, a few years back. This is not as strong, as has the tea element. and a bit of citrus. This isn't my style, and I'm not very fond of it, though I have to admit, it's a great ratio of notes. Oh, and I do get the anise too.

Edited by milo

Orange tea! A big, bold tea scent. Actually kind of harsh at first. I'm not picking up any cardamom or cedar. It's suuuuuper citrusy tea, nothing else. Citrus amps on me so I should've known.

• ITI: This is an interesting scent. I can pick up the orange peel and sweet cedar (which reminds me of sweet mint in this iteration) just underneath the dusky tonka and cardamom tea.

Wet: Yes, the cardamom tea is spicy and dominant on my skin, although the orange peel adds a perky, zesty acid to the tone to keep it from skewing too oriental. I also pick up just a touch of the mate here, but the sweet cedar isn't as present on my skin as it was in the imp.

Dry: After 12 hours, only faint orange and cardamom tea remain. It's a pleasing scent, but I just wish some of the complexity of its wet phase lasted throughout my work day.