Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

Temple of Dreams

For use when working with the many Gods of Sleep, Dreams, and Nightmares.

Eee! My first first review. I'm so excited! Right... I was particularly interested in these blends as my dreams are often...odd. I tried this one out last night, a sharp herbal scent in the bottle, this was a lot of rosemary and basil smelling things for the first ten minutes or so. Very calming, grounding and soothing in an organic way. A lemony note slowly crept in, and blessed of all blessed things, didn't over power the blend as lemon is wont to do on me. A nice little touch of a creamy citrus with the herbal blend.

This was very calming and very grounding. I felt steady and calm drifting off last. A definite keeper.

In the Bottle: Very herby / lavender. It smells a lot like a bedtime linen spray I have.

Wet: All lavender! I get a touch of lemon in there as well. The previous poster mentioned rosemary and I think I do get a whiff of something very herby like that.

Dry: Still lavender and lemon. It has mellowed down and is starting to blend better. It tends to morph on me. One minute lav/lemon the next will be clove/rosemary/spice. I rather like it. Mmmm, this is one that just gets better with wear. The longer it lasts the less lemon I get and the more spice comes out.

Sleep Time: It definitely calmed me and put me in a restful state, tucked under the covers. I don't really have a problem with sleep so I can't say how this affected it much.

For the record, let me state that I hardly ever remember my dreams. So it was with a certain skepticism that I tested out Temple of Dreams last night. In the imp and on my skin it was medicinal in an herbal way, the way lavender smells a bit astringent and bracing. I also detected the lemon that reviewers mention above, which helped sweeten and temper it a bit.

I went to bed at 11PM and slept for 13 hours. Not only did I have amazing, sensory dreams that seemed to span almost all of that period in 'real-time', but it was lucid dreaming, something I have done at certain points in my life but have been unable to do for several years. In other words, I knew I was dreaming when I was dreaming. At one point, I dimly recall thinking something like: I should wear Temple of Dreams tomorrow night, this is amazing!

So I don't know if it was the oil or the power of suggestion, but I don't really care. Whatever it was, it worked. And now I have some amazing images to carry around with me today, like one in which I was able to look down 14 flights of stairs that cut through an apartment building to a subterranean world in which a group of nuns were carrying out some kind of rite on a unending line of grace-seekers.

What this says about my psyche, I am not sure! But it was a really incredible experience and tonight I will be wearing Temple of Dreams again!

Temple of Dreams was an extra imp that the Lab generously sent me with my order. It immediately grabbed my attention. For the past year, I seem to have been able to remember my dreams much more frequently and vividly than I used to and I hope that the Dream Formulas will help me work further on these dreams.

In the vial and wet, Temple of dreams is all strong lavender, as you would expect from a nighttime oil, with a deeper note that I can't quite place. It could be something herbal, or maybe even a little resiney.

It soon mellowed down into a very soothing, relaxing blend. The lavender still predominates, but there is a hint of spice coming through now.

I fell asleep pretty quickly while wearing this, faster than usual actually. I don't remember any dreams from that night, but I know I had a restful sleep. The best part is that the nightmares that have been plaguing me for a while apparently decided to give me a break. Yay!

Not only is Temple of Dreams a keeper, but I am now very tempted to get myself the whole Dream Formula collection :P

Temple of Dreams did not seem to do anything for my actual sleep... it felt more ceremonial, and less practically applicable. It was very herbal, and compared to Baku, it seemed to be an oil about sleep, not an oil for sleep.

That said, it's beautiful. There's a really pretty basil note in it that seems really surprising and cool in a sleep oil.

Wet

Lavender, Wow! It's a good thing. It's pure and clear. I love it. There's something peeking out and I'm assuming it's the lemon that people talk about above. It's nice that little bit just rounds it out ever softly.

This is so lavendery as to be eucalyptus-like, but again it's a good thing.

The rosemary is blended really well with the lavender so that my nose doesn't distinguish between the two.

10 minutes

I can totally see this as a relaxing blend it's also very clearing on the chatter in your mind. There's something powdery way in there somewhere, it's nice and gives this more of a pretty quality instead of the initial medicinal herby one.

20 minutes

Lovely. It's funny to note that each of my wrists smell different. It does diminish quite a bit, too much for my taste but the smell is really pretty. It's got that fierce clear sharp lavender-y scent for you lavender nuts and it dries down to a light lavender-powdery almost fruity scent.

I would buy a larger bottle of this blend.

Herbal. Medicinal. Sharp. There's lavender in there, but I'm terrible at picking out notes so I can't do much better than that. I didn't much care for the scent at first, but that didn't matter as I wasn't interested in this blend for the scent. I wasn't sure where I should put it so that I could best smell it in my sleep, so I put it on my temples and wrists.

Half an hour later (I didn't go to bed right away) I realized that my breathing had slowed and I'd become much more relaxed and calm. Also realized that the scent had really grown on me and that I actually kind of liked it. When I got in bed I didn't have any trouble falling asleep. I had extremely vivid dreams with an unusual level of recall (for about the first 15-30 minutes after waking - long enough to write it down if I were working with dreams. I still remember a bit more than usual, but the volume and detail of my recall for the first 15 minutes was staggering.). I also slept like a rock and woke up more refreshed than I have in quite a long time.

Using this oil was a really neat experience. I'll be buying a big bottle, and if the rest of the Dream Formulas work as well I'll be treating myself to an entire set.

Edited by Electra

First sniff: Cold, bright, sharp lavender. That doesn’t sound complimentary, but I really like it.

Wearing: Very herbal and cool and green. It’s not quite as instantly soporific as Somnus, but I did sleep very soundly and remembered my dreams.

MmmmMm I really *love* this one. It's nice and herbally lavendar. Very soothing. I'm a constantly stressed and headached kinda gal and I find scents like this very calming so I definately think it's a keeper. After a couple hours the herby seems to fade and it's a sweeter lavendar. Mmmmmm. I'm going to have to try some of the other Dream Forumlas now and I think I see bottles in their future! :P

Temple of Dreams is of course very very lavendar. It is beautiful and soothing, and for me brought to mind the importance of sleep. I slept very well while wearing it.

Interestingly, upon waking there is a faint, sweet flowery scent still on my wrists. It isn't lavendar, but I can't quite place what it is.

Another winner in the dreams series!

I got this as a gimp from the lab, i guess because i ordered 2 dream blends :P

This one really evoces dreams !! i don't dream that often in general but when i use this I have clear and bizarre dreams. therefor i use it not so often, mostly in the weekens when i can sleep long. Like saturday i used it and i dreamt that i needed to order a truck :D I had to fill long lists of pro's and con's of different kinds :D Imagine...I do not even have a car.

The scent itself is citrussy and lavender, Quite neutral to me.

I can't remember how I got this one... I throw all of my untried imps in a box to be uncovered later. Normally I'm really good about these things, but I can't recall where I got Temple of Dreams. I think I bought it from the Tsunami Relief auction....

Oh well, anyway, I probably should have tried this out when I was about to go to sleep. Rather, I put it on after a nap.

*Ahem*

Temple of Dreams is a beautiful fragrance. When wet, it is predominantly lavender, although there is something that keeps the lavender from being so sharp. Other herbs are noticable, moreso on the drydown. After wearing it for an hour I notice the rosemary note coming into play. It's a really gorgeous fragrance, very clean and comforting.

When I first applied ToD, I was reminded of linen spray as well. Oh the possibilities! Maybe when I run out of my current lavender spray, I can make a concoction out of my imp.

I'm definitely keeping the imp, and a big bottle would be nice eventually (but at the moment I have waaaay too much BPAL). For those of you who felt that Oneiroi was too jasmine-esque and Baku was too sharp, I think you will enjoy Temple of Dreams.

-doreen

Initial Sniff: Bright, sharp lavender with some herbalness in the background.

Wearing: At first this is all lavender, but as it dries it becomes more interesting and complex. The drydown is spicy lavender and sandalwood.

Final Impressions: I love this! It did not effect my dreams or their recollection, but it was a beautiful and calming oil that helped me calm down at bedtime! I need a big bottle of this one!

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :D

Preconceived notions:

I'm really curious about this one (and Oneiroi). I like Somnus because it works but I couldn't stand to try Baku (I hate anise/fennel), so I'm curious to see whether I'll like Temple of Dreams and whether or not it works. I'm expecting lavender since it seems to be a main component in all the Dream oils but, other than that, I don't know what to expect.

First sniff:

Very herbal. It almost smells like Baku at first but then I realize it's not anise I'm smelling, but some sort of herb instead. I don't know why I initially thought anise because it's not really that similar. It's vaguely sweet and very herbal and smells clean and comforting. :D

Wet on skin:

Rosemary, maybe? Or basil? I don't know what this is, but I like it! The lavender is coming out now, too, balancing the other herbal notes and making me think of lavender water linen spray in the best possible way. I actually really like the way this smells, unlike Somnus which is actually somewhat unpleasant to me. I could actually see myself wearing this as a real perfume. :P

Dry down:

That same herbal note from before (I think it's basil) is dominating again and I really like it. I didn't expect to actually like the way this smelled, so that's a definite plus. Now off to bed to see if it works...

The bottom line:

Temple of Dreams smells gorgeous and seems to work, too. I don't normally remember my dreams, but I had some crazy ones last night (and I mean crazy in a good way, not my normal nightmares) and I remembered them enough in the morning to have a good laugh over all the things my brain came up with during the night. This is a definite big bottle candidate. :D

In the Bottle ROSEMARY!!!!!

Wet Actually, the rosemary isn't so loud anymore, and it got incredibly complex and layered...... very warm and herbal...... dare I say...... pretty?

Drydown Lavender is coming through, and still a lovely rosemary...... there are other notes I can't place, and I don't know if they are just components of this rosemary.

Several Hours Later I felt like I slept for a million years. I feel good. I had so many dreams. They weren't more vivid, but I feel liked I remembered them better. The whole night I kept sniffing my wrists.... they smelled sooooo good. lol.

Verdict This one will be kept on my nightstand. :P

at first: i smell lavender...and lots of it.

on: lavender, but with something almost sweet. maybe tonka.

overall: i can't speak ot this oils effectiveness, but it is a very light, relaxing scent.

I got this from one of the lovely and bursting imp swap bags that passed by me yesterday. (Goodness, that was so fun!)

First Impression: A very vivid lavender scent.

Second Impression: I applied some to my temples before bed last night. It took awhile to fall asleep but when I did, I dreamed and I remembered. I dreamt about a perfect man-nequin who came to life and well, it's just too private to go on...

Final Analysis: I'm keeping this one.

I get lots and lots of lavender from this one. Of the sleep blends, this is the most mellow to me. Much less tart than the others. When I finally decided on a sleep oil it was between this one and Baku, ultimatly Baku won cause it was stronger, but Temple of Dreams is still very lovely and very relaxing before bed.

Temple of Dreams smelled largely like lemon and lemongrass to me. It was very bitter and made me wrinkle my nose at the scent.

When I inhale the scent deeply, I get a whiff of something that smells strongly like lemon cleanser.

I wasn't fond of the smell but I wore it to sleep. I had an upleasant dream and did not feel rested when I awoke.

i didn't try this blend for the notes in it, but rather for it's use. so i didn't pay too much attention to the scent, although it was a lovely lavender.

i usually wear onerio to bed, but last week i decided to shake things up a little.

i wore temple of dreams to bed four nights in a row last week, and each morning i woke up with dreams that carried over into my day. unfortunately, they were dreams that left me sad/angry/annoyed with people in my life. i couldn't shake those feelings during the day, so the dreams really impacted me.

i'm very intrigued by all the dream blends, and really like the fact that ToD seemed to bring on dreams. but i think i'll use it more sparingly than 4 nights in a row. i wish i knew how to work with the oil, as i think it would be more effective.

Origin - Imp received in a swap

Oh wow. Wet, I get lavendar, rosemary and just a touch of lemon, although it may be verbena, because it doesn't amp up the way lemon does on my skin. There also seens to be a hint of something spicy once this all fades away, I want to say myrrh, but I don't think that's what it is.

This is the perfect herbal scent, and it manages to be both relaxing and refreshing at the same time. I want to just sit around sniffing my wrist all night long. Unfortunately this fades very quickly on my skin, and I have to keep reapplying. I don't care, even fading quickly, I will buy a big bottle, probably a 10ml. I love this!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

ETA - Changing the rating a bit, now that I have tried all of the other Somnium blends.

Edited by wickedgoddess

Temple of Dreams

I got this either as a swap or in a purchase through ebay/lj. It was on my list simply because I liked the description and because sleep is an important issue to me.

Let me say that I am an insomniac and have chronic pain. I mention this because I think it helps explain what I liked about this remarkable oil.

In the bottle: When I first opened the bottle, the overpowering scent is rosemary with other sharp herbs.

Rosemary is often an herb used in aromatherapy and healing techniques for cleansing, balancing, grounding and it hit me immediately as a pleasant if somewhat medicinal smell.

I was somewhat hesitant about it because I wasn't so sure if I was going to like this scent on my body but I did feel a sense of well-being steal over me just by smelling it in the little imp.

I dabbed it on sparingly.

On my skin: A most marvelous metamorphosis seems to take place. The herbal scent is almost gone, merely a delightful memory of peacefulness. Instead there's a sweetish, spicy, citrus smell overtaking the herbal scent. This is definitely one to wait for the transformation.

Worn all night: I am not one to remember my dreams and the night I used this, there were a lot of things on my mind, spiritually and otherwise. I fell asleep much more quickly than I usually do and I remembered at least bits and pieces of several dreams. Mostly I just felt rested and that the answers to the things I was concerned about would come to me in their own time.

I have very dry skin so almost no fragrance will last very long on me. I usually have to reapply every 3 to 4 hours. This scent lulled me into sleep but had faded by the time I awoke.

By the way, now I slather it on and am ordering another imp, possibly a 5ml in the future.

This... doesn't smell too great. When I first apply it, it smells like a light herbal note mixed with vix vaporub. Then I get a strong burst of lavendar for a while. Then it smells like a hint of lavendar and some light bathroom cleanser. None of the Somnium scents are keepers for me.

Edited by Little Bird

I got this impie as a freebie with my last order.

In the vial Very herbal. It tingles my nose.

Wet~fields of herbs and lavendar. I wish I had waited till I went to sleep to try this one, so I could report on it's sleep benefits. It reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on.

Dry~More herbal and less foral now. I don't care for it. I still wish I had waited to try this before bed. I'm passing this imp on to Kithrobyn.

:P Swap/sale

I can detect lavender easily. I believe it is the common basenote in all the Somnium oils. There is something else there... something herbal. I really don't think it is rosemary, but perhaps a sage of some sort, maybe clary sage? It's almost slightly bitter, but not awful.

As for how well this wears or if it changes, I really couldn't tell you. I fall asleep. By the time I wake up, I can't really detect it. This isn't really an oil I wear for the aroma, though, so it's a moot point.

This does work for dreams. I would not say that I get especially prophetic dreams. But they are lucid, strange, interesting, and very detailed. This is awesome stuff!

edited to fix my bad vocabulary.

Edited by Diana