Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

Vanilla, but not the rich golden sort from Snake oil. This was light, aged, fading vanilla and a touch of dust and my grandmother’s perfume. Pretty and nostalgic but not really something I wanted to smell like, this would have made a nice room scent in my mind as my skin made it go a little plasticy at the end.

ANTIQUE LACE.....

Which as the Imp lies on my desk with it's label slightly twisted is reading: Antique Lice.

Nevermind.

My first whiff out of the vile is not too promising. It smells plastic-y right way to my nose and not at all what I was expecting or - good news - what it ends up smelling like which is lovely, sort of whipped cotton candy-ish....but in a good way. Nostalgic for sure.

As it dries down it turns into a whispery soft vanilla type fragrance that I do love as it wears on over time.

I wore it all day yesterday and kept getting scent glimpses of it that were so evocative and very distinct for such a soft fragrance.

One image that kept appearing was of an open window in an old deserted house with shreds of an (antique lace) curtain slowy billowing in and out - like an inhalation and an exhalation.

I pick up hints of musk and soft, warm 'low' notes....it is powdery on me but it is very pleasant. My husband mentioned I smelled like a baby. Innocent and sweet. But since this is Antique lace maybe I am an OLD baby. heh....

I do really love this soft scent and am happy I have my imp - might have bought a bigger bottle but it was not to be....:P

ETA...weeks later.... I have worn Antique Lace everyday. It is the one I reach for when I need a lift....it is my absolute favorite scent....soft, calming, sweet and when I wear it I get comments from all around me on how wonderful it smells. this is a scent t hat brings joy into a life. my imp is just about gone - boo hoo!

Edited by fragrantgrasse

I got half an imp of Antique Lace in a swap. What a pity it has been discontinued, I hope Beth can reformulate it. When it hits my skin, I get vanilla, sugar and the linen note. The linen note is not really fabric softener or laundry detergent, it's more the scent of clean cotton being steam-ironed. It's very soft and lovely, not harsh at all. Eventually, all the notes blend together into the smell of caramel on my skin. It's so soft and comforting, yet a very long-lasting scent. I will treasure and hoard my little half imp :P !

Edited by ChupaChup

I got this as a gimp from the lab. I was excited since it was new, but I set it aside as the description was nice but not demanding my attention. Shortly after that Beth announced it would be discontinued and people starting posting, lamenting over the loss of such a fabulous vanilla scent. Huh? Vanilla? I did not know that.

Yesterday I finally tried out my imp, putting some on before dashing off to work. It lasted all day long with the same level of intensity. This is the longest lasting BPAL, and it has one of the best throws. I'm sad already.

1st stage: Vanilla! And honey! This is sweet. Not sugar shack sweet, or cloying sweet, just a round, full fresh sweetness. Warm, almost. It's comforting.

2nd stage: Tea! Lots of it. The sweetness is still there, but it's in the background.

3rd stage: Soft light flowers. Nothing too brash, but it mingles with the tea and the sweetness for a fresh calming scent. Mmm...

Dry: No more flowers. Now the tea is in the background and the vanilla/honey has taken center stage again. And in this stage it lasts and lasts.

Final Verdict: This is like the love child of O and Dorian. Actually, that wouldn't work if you know the descriptions of those two. Well, this is the um, byproduct of their uh...fun together. :P Antique Lace is like O without the in-your-face sensuality, and Dorian without the tanginess. God, this is fantastic. I'm surprised by how much I like it.

I'm almost sorry I got a bottle of this because I will miss it so much when it's gone. (Oh well--'tis better to have loved and lost, right?). :P

Antique Lace is warm, sweet, soft vanilla. It starts off not really smelling like anything on me--but after an hour or so the scent really blooms. It becomes warmer and softer. It's very comforting. At the very end of drydown, I get a touch of soft, faded flowers. It has shot into my top-five list. sigh. :D

Ok, I'll admit it--the scent description didn't sound too inviting. At all. But then I kept hearing that it was a soft vanilla, and I adore vanilla, especially BPAL vanilla, so...

omfg. This is amazing. It smells like soft snuggly warm cotton...like...like...a fluffy little white kitten, or getting a hug from an adorable little girl dressed in a fresh white lace spring dress.

It's also insanely nostalgic. One of the most nostalgic, comforting scents ever, bumping Alice out of that spot on my list :P

I am so grateful to a wonderful forumite friend who sent me the imp and who is selling me a bottle :D :D :D

Got an imp of this with my last order in March. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I really love it! I get a warm, soft, foody vanilla with hints of sugar and something light and floral floating underneath. I do also catch a whiff of something alcoholic in the background. It works well with my chemistry, and I find it very comforting.

Hope this one comes back, perhaps reformulated?

From the prodding of SoapyRn, I ordered this in my Chaste Moon order and then it was discontinued. I will have to hunt this one down.

It is perfect. Clean, floral and Victorian. I can't even break it into a wet and dry area. It made me think of walking around a garden with a beau on my arms. Romance...

I adore Antique Lace.

It is a very creamy vanilla that has tremendous staying power.

When this fades (approx 14 hours later) I can smell the clean linen and soft flowery scent.

This is such a complex scent while still being soft and gentle on the nose:this is the first scent where I can pick out each note.

This so perfectly encapsulates the name- it is perfect...and I am sad that it has been discontinued. :P

Edited by Glitzie

*moans*

I just got a 5 ml in an ApCat order. Why was this discontinued?

It's a very foodie scent to me, very vanilla in the bottle on my skin it goes vanilla-y, creamy, custard-y, but not too heavy, there's a lovely fresh undertone in it.

If this is not reformulated, it's going to be a special occasion perfume.

It's so feminine and beautiful, very sexy as well.

Nyum nyum nyum.

I am so happy and grateful that Tesseljoan shared her bottle with me, :D :D It was long on my wishlist but was discontinued before I could order...

What a unique scent, soft vanilla, without the sensation of being foody. Perfect sweet for Spring/Summer.

It reminds me a tiny bit of a scent by Cerruti that I used to wear before BPAL.This will be my special scent for this Summer :P

Antique Lace didn't work out for me, I'm afraid.

It's a lovely scent, but a little too baby powder-y for me.

Oro

I absolutely love this oil. It reminds me of suntan lotion, but in a good way. It's soft and feminine. Gorgeous.

Antique Lace is a Beautiful vanilla, with a breath of clean laundry. I was almost hoping Quinkel would hate her half of the bottle, so I could have it back :P . It's beautiful and light so it's ok for me to wear every day, but it still is very special.

This was discontinued while I was waiting for my first order, so I was very relieved that I picked it because it would have stayed on my wish list either way.

Wet: Blueberry jelly belly bean. Then crusty toasty blueberry pie. I'm not sure why all the blueberries. Holy yum, it's delicious. I think this might've been a contender had it not been discontinued. It softens down after a while, I'm still getting blueberry but it's more vanilla-y. floral-y sometimes. and then... toasted marshmallowy. I don't know why it smells so foody on me but it does.

Later: I think my favourite thing about this scent is its sweet toasty-ness. Like creme brulee or marshmellow or blueberry pie crust. I guess caramel, although I'm not a fan of caramel because it's too sweet, and this isn't. I'll be using my imp sparingly so it lasts a while.

Bottle (Imp): Sweet and flowery.

Just On: Still pretty flowery, but I can deal with these flowers (a bit unusual for me). There's a bit of creaminess that I think I would really like to smell more of in this.

An hour or two later: Again, still a lot of flowers, and just a hint of creaminess. If it were to move more towards the creamy (vanilla?) side, and away from the flowers, I might fall in love with this one.

Around 6 hours: Now it's moved into a really flowery stage, and I don't like it quite as much.

12 hours: Through the flower stage, and it was pretty long, and back into a creamy light flower stage. If I could skip that heavy flowery stage, I might like it much better.

Overall: It's not a terrible smell or anything, but that stage of flowers in the middle really throws this off for me. I'm starting to figure out that certain flowers don't work, so I'm going to have to try quite a few more to figure out which ones do.

After reading other reviews: I don't get the linen part of this one, but that's okay. If I could tone down the flowers, I'd probably love this as much as so many others do.

Sweet, powdery, creamy vanilla. This is simply lovely. It's so comforting. It's borderline childlike, but so delicate that it's very wearable. It adds a touch of feminine sweetness to everything. When I wear it, I truly cannot stop sniffing my wrists.

I sincerely hope that Antique Lace makes a comeback, because sadly, it's one that I overlooked until it was too late. I'm so greatful to have an imp of this beauty, and I find myself reaching for it almost daily!

:P

First Sniff:

Vanilla memory. I get a whiff of powder but its just gentle sweet vanilla, like old lace that if you touch it too much it will crumble.

Wet:

Newborn vanilla baby. Sweet, gentle vanilla with a hit of sadness. It's not a loud, abrasive vanilla a la Bath & Body Works but more calming and soothing. Barely there.

Dry:

More of the vanilla but it has a light powder haze over it, that just...I can't really explain it but the scent is sepia colored. The vanilla has turned creamy however

Aftermath:

...I NEED a bottle of this. In the worst way. I'm so sad I missed out a chance to buy one :P

Antique Lace stayed the same from in the bottle to completely gone on me. It was very different from what I was expecting given the description, and stayed a fairly true form of vanilla on me. I'm generally not a huge vanilla fan, but this is a sophisticated one, not a teenage sweet scent.

I work in a restaurant, where most scents leave my skin in a few hours because of all the different smells. After 8 hours I'd still get a whiff without even trying to, and after 12 I could still smell it when I sniffed my wrist. It's not an everyday scent for me, but definitely one I like.

This is a soft, sweet vanilla blend that melts slowy into a gentle floral. Except for the vanilla, the individual notes are impossible for me to identify.

The dry down (4 hrs +) reminds me very much of Dorian.

Antique Lace has become a real favorite; must be all the compliments. :P

I LOVE Antique Lace.

It's clean, fresh, & warm all at the same time.

Initially I got a deodorant vibe, (minus the sharp, chemical-preservative smell,) & wasn't sure I'd like it.

Then I realized it was the scent of 'clean'. It's the scent I want to keep after my shower, all freshly lotioned & wearing clothes just laundered but without 'fragrance'. Most especially, WITHOUT smelling like anti-perspirant.

And that's where the vanilla comes in & warms it all up. It can be warm-from-the-dryer &/or warm skin. (I can't decide which & don't want to.)

Yes, this IS like a skin-scent. Clean, warm skin. (Guess that means I decided :P)

Edited by bloodlotus1

Oh my. This is amazing. It's vanilla, but with this scent of... well, antique lace. I guess that's the musk, but I swear it smells just like my great-grandmother's lace tablecloth. So gorgeous. It's sweet, but not candy-sweet, and it's incredibly long-lasting. I wish this could be reformulated and re-released by The Lab!

In the Vial: Very Linenlike with a bit of Vanilla

Wet on the Skin: More Vanilla, less Linen.

Drydown: It soaked in fairly quickly, Linen and Vanilla. Not all that exciting or anything :P;

Conclusion: This is nice but I'm not excited over it or anything. I hoped I would be and that it'd be more cotton candyish, but, unfortunately for me it's not. Oh well. It's okay...

In the bottle: Vanilla... entwined ever so perfectly with what I consider to be a more 'powdery' floral combination. It also smells very much like a lingering perfume scent you might detect on someone's clothing. The vanilla is demure, and yet, it's the most prominent of the notes in this blend. I like that. Another thing I find endearing about this scent, is it seems to be very personal. It smells like... home. It smells like... my Mom. It smells like an emotion. How weird is that? Ok. Yeah, I'm weird.

On: The scent has become very clean smelling, and warmer. I don't think I've smelled many warm *and* clean scents, so this one is really unique. But, I suspect the warmth may have something to do with my own body heat and chemistry.

For some reason, I'm detecting cinnamon. But maybe that's just me. It's not very singular, but, I swear I smell cinnamon.

An hour later: This is where I make the final decision that 'Antique Lace' is a scent I am going to cherish. Why? Because it has STAYING POWER. It hasn't faded much at all. I can smell it all over me, and even around me. And, I'm not sick of it. Not even a little.

Yup. She's a keeper. I shall covet thee bottle... until you are dry :P Why must I fall in love with discontinued scents. Why oh why!!!

-Leslie

I was lucky enough to get a freebie imp of this in one of my orders after it was discontinued. It's a soft, lovely, vanilla scent. It reminds me of the creamy inside of white cream chocolates. It's got a milky undercurrent with just a hint of light, floral perfumes. I love this scent, how sad that it's not available anymore!! :P