Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

I absolutely love this oil. It reminds me of suntan lotion, but in a good way. [...]

Yes! When I put this on, I said, "Oh, my God." It took me back to a very particular time and a very particular place. The suntan lotion it reminded me of was Bain de Soleil. There were overtones of what very white clean cloth in strong sunlight smells like, and a tiny hint of salt sea air, and flowers just around the corner somewhere, and a lot, oh baby a LOT of teenage hormones. It smells like our class trip to Florida, 28 years ago. We were trying so hard to be wild and wicked, and we were really so sweet and wistful. Especially that moment on the terrace in the place we stayed, looking at somebody I always wished I could have, and knew I'd probably never get.

Thanks for the nostalgia hit. This is an amazing scent.

at first: amazing. wonderfully soft and powdery, with the sweetness of the vanilla

on: gorgeous. very soft and powdery. vanilla perfume

overall: i just love this! it managed to stay pretty true to the original scent the entire time i wore it. the description is right-on when it mentioned long-faded perfumes. i think that's where i'm getting a lot of the softness from. this is a wonderful, cozy scent.

~Antique Lace~

In the bottle

soft vanilla with a very light perfumey quality

On

Mmm. It reminds me of the perfume my Aunt use to wear when it was a special occasion. It's medium light musky vanilla with a light perfumey floral in the background.

30 minutes

Soft and powder vanilla floral. Very elegant beautiful scent.

Throw:

More than average-lovely

Scent category:

Foody/Floral/Animal Musk

Summary

Boy if Tiffany's got ahold of this scent, they'd make millions. That's how good this is. It's so unassuming and lovely. There's not one thing in this blend that is offensive, strange or even questionable. Just enelegant, lightly perfumey vanilla andmusk.

Purchase again?

Yes! a 10ml if I could.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

The original description of Antique Lace didn't sound like anything specifically exciting, but the wave of unhappiness after it was discontinued made me curious. I was lucky enough to pick up a few bottles at Convergence, and oh my god, everything that people say about Antique Lace is true. It's so very very worth the hype, and it holds a permanent place in my top five scents of all time (and possibly my top three).

Antique Lace is what I wanted Chaste Moon (and Milk Moon for that matter) to be. It's the stronger, more seductive older sister of Snow White. It's the perfect perfect perfect vanilla, and it lasts for hours on my skin. I love putting it on right before I go to sleep, and even though it's not too much of a summer scent, I have big plans for the winter.

I've seen many a bottle going on eBay for upwards of $70, and I love a profit as much as the next girl, but honestly, you'd still have to pry my last bottle out of my cold, dead hands. This one is never coming back, and just smelling it makes me so happy that I really don't want to live without it.

Edited by chopchica

I missed the boat on this one when it was available from the lab, because frankly, the description didn't grab me. But, I bought a bottle from a forumite after it was discontinued because I was curious, and since I knew a few people that liked it, I figured I could always pass it on if it didn't suit me.

When my package arrived, I sniffed...

EEEEEEEEEEEE! Why didn't anyone tell me this was a musk scent?! :P

On me, Antique Lace is a sister-scent to Morocco and Oisin. White musk really blooms on my skin (and luckily, I love it), so I probably get more of a similarity between these scents than most people do. Antique Lace is a bit more creamy, and does have a bit of vanilla, but I still find it really close to Morocco, one of my other favorites.

I've managed to build up a respectable stash of Antique Lace in the last few months, and I will cherish every drop. Truly a gorgeous blend, and I'm sad it's gone and not as many people will get to experience it.

I just deleted my whole long review... oh well.

Very sophisticated vanilla and musk. Just wonderful. Vanilla without being cloying or too sweet. I consider myself very very lucky to have some of this baby.

I received an imp of this as a generous gift from the Lab, and I refused to try it for several weeks because I was afraid I'd love it. And sure enough... It's gorgeous. An innocent, sweet vanilla (as opposed to Dorian, which I'd say is a stronger, sexier vanilla). It reminds me a bit of angel food cake, in that it's sweet and light and airy. It lasts a long time, though, which I'm grateful for. I'm definitely going to cherish this imp. I'm so sad that this got discontinued before I discovered BPAL!

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Beautiful.

In the imp: Oh, vanilla, how I love thee.

On skin, wet: Lovely, crisp vanilla. The linens are very soft, but in a crisp, almost sharp way, if that makes sense.

On skin, dry: Crisp, powdery, smooth. It's confusing, I know. I'm starting to get what I assume is the "long-faded perfumes," and they're lovely.

Conclusion: This is absolutely beautiful. This has such a lovely depth to it. It's a very swanky, almost ritzy perfume, kind of like Black Opal, but in a very different way. I'm so glad I can now get a 10ml!

Edited by Aredhel

antiquelace.jpg

One of the prettiest most winsome scents I have smelled from BPAL. I have gotten an empty imp from Joseybird, and a supernaturally generous several drops from the Divine ChupaChup.

Vanilla from the gods combined with white musk in its most attractive form. Lucious, simple and beautiful.

So, we should all be indebted to ChupaChup for giving us the recipe for recreating Antique Lace:

Madini's Vanille

+ BPAL's Dirty

I have to say, that gets to the "dead ringer" category.

ETA: I am so very grateful that Antique Lace is back. I hope it stays back forever. This is a real miracle for me and a lot of others. I am one happy BPALer.

Edited by olympia301

I was lucky enough to receive an imp of this as a freebie from the Lab in one of my recent orders. THANK YOU LABBIES!! :P This is a warm, creamy vanilla; sweet and a bit powdery. It is very feminine, delicate and comforting. It reminds of the candy coating shell on the almonds that they give out as favors at Greek weddings. This is develops into the most gorgeous vanilla. :D It is fairly long lasting on me too. I really love this one and will cherish my imp. I bet it would be lovely layered with Snow White too. :D

My Impression: OMG Now I see why everybody covets and wants this scent. I was lucky enough to receive an imp vial that had just enough in it for me to write this.

Oh the sweetest vanilla, and florals (cant pick out individual notes). I can smell a powdery softness so delicate, regal & refined. This is so AWESOME...I only wish it were still available for order. :P

My rating 1 to 5, is a 5

Edited by ~AmusedMuse~

In the bottle: soft, sweet vanilla. Much gentler than the Vanilla Bean single note, akin to a honeyed vanilla as opposed to a straight vanilla.

Wet, on skin: Slightly floral undertones mixed in with the sweet vanilla, with a faint hint of what could be a pale amber or musk.

Drying down, about 15 minutes after application: Soft and delicate, like a freshly washed fuzzy blanket, still warm from the dryer on a cool night.

Overall impressions: Very comforting and soothing... to the point where this may just replace Dragon's Milk as my comfort scent (or at least be a very close second to it).

This is all creamy vanilla. No florals, no musk, just straight vanilla and it smells delicious!!! Too bad I did not get a bottle before it was discontinued because it smells amazing.

At last!

Now I know why everyone is raving avout this scent.

A perfectly blended perfume with a light vanilla base, very suble.

It's a bit powdery, like the scent of an old boudoir.

Classy, soft, delicate and feminine.

First sniff: How lovely. This scent is so gentle, so elegant, so understated… and so amazingly beautiful. Soft flowers and the barest breath of vanilla.

Wearing: Antique Lace is a soft-spoken, genteel lady. A wonderful warm, gentle, rich scent that lasts and lasts.

A very rich, warm perfume-y vanilla is what first comes to mind. Sadly, it turns almost immediately soapy after that first stage.

The blend is a combination of sharp and warm notes. Almost like trying to bake with ozone elements. There's something here (meaning the bright, twinge-ing note) that I believe is also in Yog-Sothoth (or at least it's reminding me of that particular scent for the moment). That component mellows considerably as the oil dries, but it's still not wearable on me.

Antique Lace is far too contradictory with my chemistry. I appreciate its uniqueness, and can certainly understand why it would be well missed. My imp will go to a more deserving home for certain.

Antique Lace:

Wet: soft. That's the first word that comes to mind. Soft. Mildly vanilla.

Drydown: This really does smell like linen.. soft linen from my grandmother's chest of drawers.

Longterm wear: The name really says it all: this really does smell like antique lace, without the mustyness and dustyness one might find. This is antique lace that's been handled with care. It's absolutely lovely. I'm sorry to hear that it won't be coming back.

Thank you for solving the mystery, Misfitroxy! I knew I'd smelled that weird note in some other BPAL, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was.

When I first put this on, the throw is the nice wistful vanilla that everyone raves about, but if I get my nose anywhere close to my wrist I smell the sickly, stale air freshener note that ruined Yog Sothoth for me. It takes about two hours for that note to dissipate. The vanilla keeps on going, but still, I'm afraid I have to put this in the "kinda nice" category. Given that this blend is some people's Holy Grail, it would be irresponsible for me to keep it, wouldn't it? :P [ETA: Wow, it took me all of two hours to find this one a new home -- I can be sure this imp will be very, very loved. :D ]

Edited by Loligo

Antique Lace:

In the bottle: Oh no, it seems like I'm going to fall in love with this! This smells subtley sweet, exactly like old potpourri with a touch of sugar or light vanilla.

Wet: Mmm, light sugary vanilla with a touch of poutpourri.

Drydown: This smells almost exactly like a lighter version of my Rag Doll.

Conclusion: God, I love this! I have to keep this, and acquire any amount that may come my way!

I got this as a gift from a very generous forumite. Bless her! I've been dying to try this for quite sometime.

In the imp, I get a soft, pleasantly soapy-fresh floral scent.

As soon as it touches my skin a soft vanilla scent rises above the floral. It doesn't seem super sugary or buttery to me, but rather a dry, sweet vanilla. At this point, it rather reminds me of Black Opal because it's a bit powdery (this is good powder), but instead of the flinty edge that Black Opal has there is the fresh clean linen smell, and a hint of flowers.

As it dries, the vanilla settles into my skin and makes itself at home, with the clean florals underpinning it. I hate to keep using the word soft, but that's the word that keeps coming to mind. It's lovely, unobtrusive, and subtle. It's a gentle scent. It won't knock you down, or get you laid, but it makes me smile. I think it would a perfect scent for a bride to wear on her wedding day.

I don't always get mental images with scents, but this one makes me think of a walking into a Victorian show house full of antique furniture. The rooms are beautifully clean, with a vase of fresh cut flowers in the foyer, and a bowl of vanilla potpourri in one of the bedrooms.

I love this, but it's not something I'd wear every day. I'd love to have more, but I'll treasure this imp, and wear it on special occasions when I want to smell pretty and fresh, and not too sexy.

This has developed quite the legend around it. I love vanilla, and was curious to try it, but didn't feel like going out of my way to get some. Once I got a change to try an imp though, I couldn't turn it down.

Wet - Ah, this is a strong vanilla scent; it reminds me of the vanilla in Dorian, but without the other notes.

Dry - something else comes out under the vanilla, white musk I think. That is followed by the clean linen note in White Rabibit. As much as I love vanilla, this comes across as being a prim & proper scent. I like it, because I love vanilla, but I can live without a bottle. The imp will serve me nicely.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

The legends around this scent are amazing. I only discovered BPAL this past summer and quickly became aware of the coveted status of this particular scent. While the description alone didn't immediately capture my interest, the general desperation to acquire the scent did.

Origin: Scored off eBay when no one else wanted to pay to have it mailed from England, I guess.

In the Bottle: Wow, that's nothing like I imagined! It's all sweet and floral and faintly powdery, with nothing of the dust and old-lady preconceptions I had.

Wet: Is there some violet? I'm getting a bit of the acrid sharp reaction I usually get with violet, but it's very faint; violet often just takes over such scents on me. It's a bit faint, light, oh so sweet...is that wisteria? Something is tantalizingly familiar. :D

Drydown: It's staying very sweet...but not really candy-sweet or fruit sweet. It's so pretty... After a while I open up this thread to add my opinion and glance at the previous reviews. Vanilla! That's vanilla I smell, but it's not at all a foodie scent. :P

Verdict: You'll pry this imp from my cold dead hands! *starts haunting eBay and the sales forums*

Oh, I love this, I'm so glad it is back! I ordered a 10ml yesteray!

In the imp: faded flowers.

On wrist wet: Faded, dried flowers, and dust. It makes my nose tickle, but I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

After 1/2 hour: The dustiness is almost gone, I get the slight plasticy smell that I get with Snow White. (It isn't unpleasant to me, reminds me of new dolls when I was a kid, like Barbie, and Sea Wees.) Underneath the plasticy smell is the creaminess of the vanilla coming out.

After a few hours: The plasticy smell is there a tiny bit. Overall, the vanilla is there. It's not a buttery vanilla, Chopchica put it best in her review when she said: " It's the stronger, more seductive older sister of Snow White."

I couldn't put it any better.

Edited by oceandreamer001

The first time I tried Antique Lace, it smelled like absolutely nothing on my skin. It was weird - I could put my nose right up to where it was applied, and I couldn't smell a thing. So, I was not among the heartbroken when it was discontinued.

However, everyone seemed to love it so much, that I though perhaps I hadn't given Antique Lace the chance she deserved, so I tried it again.

It is so lovely!

Initially, she smells very vanillic, like a lighter version of SN Vanilla Bean - slightly spicy, a vanilla with bite.

As Antique Lace dries, the musk comes into play, and the vanilla gets creamier and sweeter. Though not buttery, I wouldn't say this is a powdery vanilla; it's very rich and sugary, which I attribute at least somewhat to the musk - white musk, I think - which almost always smells sugary and creamy on me.

After a few hours, I smell a very, very faint linen note in the background, but the florals that some reviewers mention never really come into play.

This is a perfect vanilla scent: light and creamy, feminine and innocent, like Dorian's little sister.

I ordered this imp just before Antique Lace was discontinued. Now that it's coming back, I finally got up the nerve to put enough on to review it properly.

The first thing I noticed about this oil was the gorgeous, clinging vanilla that makes up its most prominent note. It's smokier and less dessert-like than the vanilla you'd find in Snake Oil. Funnily enough, it reminds me of the scent of the dolls I had as a kid. It lasts a long time,too. The first time I put on a dab, the vanilla clung on to my shirt sleeves for a couple of days.

Next, after the vanilla, comes this delicate, powdery floral. It makes me think of my mom's makeup drawer, the way the faint scents mingled together along with the dried flowers on her dressing table. It's very pretty. This oil really evokes the idea of nostalgia for me. This is going to be my first 10 mL. I'm so glad it's coming back.