Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

Plovers Above the Waves

Rice flower, white cream, tea roses, abalone accord, white moss, beeswax, tuberose, and red currant.

I think this might be my favorite of the Lupers I ordered this year. It feels opalescent to me, with hints of color—like white streaked with fine pinks and reds. The rice flower, cream, and rose are the most recognizable notes, with the abalone adding a hint of salty tang and the moss gently grounding everything. The beeswax, tuberose, and red currant are very subtle. In the bottle I can smell the florals much more clearly than on my skin.

On the drydown it's absolutely beautiful and incredibly delicate—and the kind of blend that even people who are a little wary of floral notes might enjoy, because everything is so well-blended. It has cream, but it's not foody. It has florals, but it's not stridently floral (at least on me!). It has abalone and red currant, but it doesn't smell of the sea or dark berries. It smells like cloudy light through white, pulled-down shades, and the intimacy of skin on skin.

The closest comp I can think of is To Helen, from the 2008 Lupers...also a favorite of mine. And it reminds me a bit of Chaste Moon. It shares a creamy, dreamy quality with both of those blends—and yet, of course, it has a distinct and luminous voice of its own. Tough to describe but definitely worth trying.

ETA: Absolutely my favorite from my Lupers order, and it's hard to keep myself from wearing this every day!

Of the 2014 Lupers I've tried so far, this is definitely my favorite as well--and the other scents are going to be hard-pressed to top it. When I sniffed all my bottles, my nose was glued to this one for an embarrassingly long time. It smells magical and fresh in the bottle--cream without being foodie, floral without being overbearing.

The rice cream is divine. I am a huge fan of cream/milk scents, but they are often notes that overpower everything else. Rice cream is something I haven't tried before (though I love rice milk notes), and it manages to be creamy and sweet without screaming THIS IS A FOODIE BLEND. The tea roses and tuberose sound like a recipe for floral dominance but they play well with the cream, creating a dreamy and soft balance.

On the drydown other notes peek through: a hint of beeswax and an aquatic undercurrent from the abalone. It's not a dominant aquatic or even an ocean note: it reminds me of rain almost, or lakewater--especially in combination with the moss. Fresh and bright. I don't get any redcurrant, which is a blessing because I hate fruit in my scents.

This is such an evocative blend, and it paints a really vivid picture for me: a woman wearing a sleek white silk kimono, sitting on the dock of a small pond. Elegant but almost outdoorsy, it's very hard to pin down and totally addictive.

I never never never never would have chosen to even bother to sniff this one.

Roses and I almost never get along, and cream turns to cloying awful on my skin.

Oh, but it is so pretty in the decant, all soft and rosy and very Raptures and Roses of Vice. Same roses, maybe? And since I can wear _that_ rose! I take the plunge.

And it is just gorgeous. Somehow the rose and cream behave themselves and smell like, well, themselves. I get a lovely waxy feeling that must be beeswax. I'm missing the tuberose, which is sad, but probably don't care.

I'm going to have a hard time maintaining that "I can't wear rose" if I keep getting hits like this one.

Tzi

decant from lady meag. wet:creamy aquatic!!! so pretty and feminine without being floral. dry: creamy aquatic still with a hint of rose and the white moss grounds the scent so perfectly. will be buying a whole bottle!!

I can't even dare to put this on. Rice wine and tea roses. :sick: NO NO NOTES! This must go!!!

Not one to be daunted by the perfumes of Beth..I decided to boldly put this on. Of course...its gorgeous on me. This the only perfume where cream and rice wine have ever worked on my skin. I smell sweet, and delicious, and fruity. But alas..this is not a me scent so I will have to pass this on. :D

Edited by Dark Alice

So far, this has been my favorite of the ones I've tested. It is incredibly creamy and sweet.

I can't really pick up any individual notes, except I'm getting a bit of the tea rose, but not as overwhelming as roses sometimes go. It's heavy on the cream, but not cloyingly so.

Overall, it's a very light, almost ethereal, and creamy floral blend with a bit of an aquatic feel from the abalone accord. It's not an aquatic perfume, however, it just has a little hint of it.

I'm totally in love with it!

In the decant: Aquatic beeswax and rose.

On skin: Very light and a sweet aquatic. I'm not an aquatic person, so this isn't for me, but I wanted to try it out any way. I'm glad I did, because I'm not disappointed. It's very nice to smell, but not something I'd wear.

From the decant it's all BPAL's luscious cream note. I wish they'd make a single note because I'd take out stock, but I know better than to get hopeful about it in blends. I'm looking at you, Blossoms in Springtime, which smelled deceptively gorgeous in the bottle then went astringent and weird on me.

Plovers is indeed another morpher, but it's more delicate in comparison. It starts out big on the abalone accord, which is sweet in a wonderfully aquatic way. Then it quickly focuses on the tea rose and beeswax.

Very soft and almost "girly" to me. My beloved cream isn't too big of a player; it mostly comes across as a smooth and slightly fruity (maybe from the tuberose, it kind of has that vibe) floral.

This is gorgeous...but it smells EXACTLY like another BPAL blend I already own. (Too bad I can't remember which one right now...)

This is Pink Snowballs but without whatever note that blend has in common with Snow White that goes to plastic nastiness on me and breaks my heart. I'm so excited because I LOVE Pink Snowballs! Yay, sweet rose and cream! :wub2:

Will definitely get one bottle, maybe two.

In the imp: Sweet and wet with a little bit of salt.

Wet on skin: Beautiful aquatics and light florals. This reminds me of Dragon's Tears.

Dried down: Creamier, and more floral now. The aquatic note is still there, but it blends beatifully with the floral.

Throw: I'm not getting much, but I keep sniffing my skin to get more.

Verdict: ***** Oh yes, this is another winner. This reminds me of Dragon's Tears, but the creaminess pulls it one more step up. Not getting the red currant at all, but I don't mind that. I don't know if I would care for the fruitiness in this.

wet this smells very creamy and sweet, soft and relaxing. on me, i smell a very strong aquatic note, which may or may not be present. now, i am getting the cream note from love's philosophy, the sweetness is fading into the background and i get soft roses, light cream and white moss.

its pretty. not sure if I want a full bottle. i will probably try it again.

i think i am mostly getting the rice flower, beeswax and the mixture of tea rose and tuberose, which oddly, smells like neither. there is also something a bit green and aquatic, which must be the abalone accord and white moss. something in this smells kind of dusty to me? maybe it's the rice flower. this is ok, but too fruity/sweet/aquatic for my personal tastes. i think if it had been more tea rose/white cream dominant, it may have worked better for me.

This is the one I had planned on being "the one". And this is why I get decants first.

It smells really good in the decant - creamy and sweetish florals. On my skin, the sweetish overwhelms everything. Sweet cream? Sweet florals? There is an aquatic and slightly salty something-or-other floating through it, but ultimately it is all sweet all the time. It was so sweet I had to wash it off. I'll try it again in a couple weeks just to be sure, but I don't think it's gonna be "the one" .

Light, creamy tea roses. This is light, pink, and creamy.

It smells pretty and fresh, and I think it would very apropos for a teenage girl.

This smells sweet, wet and salty. My skin tends to amp things like cream so that is the main note on me, beeswax is pretty strong in this blend and to me it is more of smoky sweet honey beeswax. Rice flower is also pretty strong in this blend. I'm not sure where the salt is coming from; it must be abalone accord, which is good because I was scared this would smell like funky fish or something. Thankfully Plovers doesn't come out fishy or weird at all. It's very pretty.

The beeswax and moss make it a bit heavier than what I had anticipated. The abalone accord give it a salty bite, but the cream, rice flower and tea rose and heavier tuberose keep it sweet and pretty. I am not getting any berries at all.

It also has some decent throw and it lasted very well on my skin last night. I put it on around 4ish and could still smell it at 10.

Am I keeping it? I don't know. This smells like a few GC blends that I already own. It has its differences but maybe not so much that it warrants me keeping it.

I really thought that this would be more aquatic, but I'm not getting a water feeling at all here. Kind of sweet, slightly fruity, creamy and waxy. It kind of reminds me of some of the beeswax blends that the lab puts out. For awhile, there was this amazing stage that I wish had lasted, it was intoxicating, kind of how a really good amber smells on me, but it was fleeting. This kind of smells like Bonne Belle chapstick after awhile. No need to upgrade.

Tons of cream, and beeswax, and just the lightest hint of feminine florals. No moss or currant here, and I'm not sure what abalone smells like, but I'm not picking up anything distinctly aquatic. It's a very light scent. Kind of like Chaste Moon, in that it is predominantly cream. A nice creamy/floral backup Luper for those (like me) who missed out on Reflected Vulva.

Roses typically hate me, so imagine my surprise at this blend working for me.

It's soft, creamy beeswax with a splash of dew-kissed tuberose. Plovers Above the Waves is gentle, and feminine. I will definitely add it into rotation for my girlier moments.

sweet creamy rose that has a good throw and lasts for hours. this is bright and light and girly. did I mention creamy? like giant dallops of rosey whipped cream. the beeswax here is subtle, adding more texture than strong fragrance note. one of my favorites of 2014's luper florals.

My decant is mostly tuberose and beeswax with something like a salty, slightly soapy aquatic undertone. I was hoping for more of a red rose, because tuberose is always too sharp and I don't get along so well with white florals. The beeswax tries to sweeten up the sharp floral, but I don't like its waxy sweetness here. The drydown is slightly soapy on my skin. I don't really smell any of the cream of fruit notes.

Goes on as a floral cream, which is interesting for a minute or so, but the cream fades, the floral remains, and then it turns to rose and I'm done.

This started off strongest on the tea rose on me, accompanied by some moss, tuberose, and cream. The rose remains ever present on my skin, but the moss increases in strength over time, and the rice flower joins the party. I think the abalone accord might have some ambergris or some sort of musky component to it? I didn't get much in the way of beeswax or red currant, but this is a very aged decant.

While I think this is nice, it's a wee bit too mossy for me. I wish the beeswax and cream notes were stronger on me!