Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jupiternf

Gingerbread Zombi

I'm all gone!

Gingerbread with dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth.

This arrived frozen, under a foot of snow on my porch, and this was the first bottle I tried.

In the bottle, I get dense moist gingerbread. I think the earth element really intensifies that aspect of chewy depth.

Wet, a blast of foody ginger and faint rose, more like a wisp of rosehip, with the dried vitamin c tang that I love. The moss and dirt make me want to eat my arm. I AM SO IN LOVE. :wub2:

Dry, the ginger sticks around for hours on me, with the tang of rose getting softer and the earth elements taking the foreground.

I wore this to bed and it stuck around till morning. The throw is pretty subtle, which I like. It is like a ginger rose cloud,sating my garden itch when the snow is piling on.

This blend is an instant top ten for me. I love Shub best of the entire general catalog, so if you like that, do not miss this.

I'll note upfront that I do not like Zombi: it smells like death & decay & molding things & moss

Gingerbread Zombi is pretty damn funny. It's death and decay with a gingerbread finish. Completely confusing and weird to my nose. I will say that the gingerbread helps to bring down the zombiness of the zombi to maybe more of a leaves & dirt stage rather the death & decay. Not anything I ever want to smell like (wouldn't do a dry test, yeck), but really interesting combo if you enjoy unusual scents.

My Gingerbread Zombi experience went a little something like:

CINNAMON!!!

Ginger!

Dirt.

...Rose?

After drydown, more of the other gingerbread spices come out-- mostly clove on me, but also allspice and nutmeg. It's also more earthy after drying. The rose is very very faint and a dry, potpurri-y sort of rose.

Maybe it's just my skin chemistry, but while Gingerbread Snake was more of a baked goods smell, this one reminds me of raw ingredients. Cinnamon can be a migraine trigger for me, and while the lab's cinnamon has played well with me thus far, this one is venturing a little into nausea territory.

Throw is on the lighter side, and it sticks around for a few hours.

Gingerbread, aquatic moss, and a touch of roses.

This one is a foodie/floral combination with a high aquatic overlay. Oddly enough, the top note smells almost like a tobacco leaf (I blame the aquatic + spices component). If I keep sniffing at it, that's when I distinguish the components.

Oddly compelling.

Zombi is one of my all time favorite Bpals. It's a lovely rich rose/moss/earth blend that lasts for hours. I was sort of worried/intrigued about what gingerbread would do to it, so I had to try a decant.

In the decant: All gingerbread, all the time. Moist and delicious, I wish it was edible.

Wet: The gingerbread stays true for about 30 seconds, and then the blend begins to morph. There's a hint of faint rose, followed by intense spicy CINNAMON. The cinnamon really amps up, and I agree with a previous reviewer that it did make me a little sick to my stomach with the intensity. The throw is insane at this point, cinnamon in the forefront with what's left of the gingerbread floating around the edges. My sister said it smells like Christmas.

Dry: An hour and a half into the wear, the cinnamon is still noticeable but a lot calmer. The rose has come out and mixed with the cinnamon, ginger and dirt notes to make something that is actually rather stunning. I'm still getting reminders that it used to be gingerbread, but they're fewer and farther between.

Ultimately Gingerbread Zombi reminds me of walking among the stalls at renaissance festivals. On me it is a powerful blend and a little goes a long way. It is still going strong into hour 3 at this point.

Someone made me some lovely gingerbread but they dropped it and now its all trodden in the dirt. If I got roses to make up for it that might help but there's no trace.

Oh, I adore this. I'm not sure what there is to say - it's a perfect blend of Zombi and gingerbread. The earthiness prevents the gingerbread from going too sharp and foodie on me, and there's a really nice bite from the roses and moss.

It seems like such a strange combination and concept, but it works REALLY well. I'm in love.

Yay, I finally got my hands on some Yule imps; I can begin the testing now!

In the bottle: Gingerbread! And maybe some dirt! I want to eat this gingerbread even if it fell on the dirt.

On my skin: Gingerbread galore, woohoo. Now I want to eat some. :| The cinnamon in it is lovely and amazing and there is a faint hint of dirt trying to come through. Half an hour later or so I can also smell a bit of the moss, sweetening things up from the rough spicy scent of gingerbread and dirt. Gingerbread zombi is a combination that works in all its aspects so far. The only downside is that it has made me hungry for some real gingerbread. XD Another quarter of the hour later or so, the gingerbread finally decides to go to the back leaving the hardy moss in its place as the dominant scent.

Drydown: Sweet, very mellowed down cinnamony gingerbread with moss. Just lovely. <3

In the decant: Dirt and Gingerbread

Wet stage: The zombie part is stronger than the gingerbread. Like zombie with some spicy sweetness

Dry stage: Zombie dies down a little; just enough so that gingerbread can poke its head out. They play rather nicely with each other. From a distance this smells like fresh gingerbread. Its oddly moist. Its only when sniffing close up that I get the moss and dirt. This is an odd combination but one that works! I'm really happy with this. :lol:

In the bottle - Gingerbread and moss on a crumbling gravestone

Wet on me - A dry leafy mulch overlain by the spice of the gingerbread

Dry on me - Soft mulchy loam and a hint of dirt

Overall - A mote genteel sort of Zombie, but the gingerbread runs away :lol:

I'm sad that I didn't like this as much as previous posters. :( I was kind of hoping for a rose-ginger-dirt scent, in that order, but what I got is more of a ginger-cookies-dirt kind of thing. And it's not my thing. There's something vaguely repulsive about it with the sweet ginger cookie and dead dirt notes that just doesn't sit right with my nose, which I think might have been eased if there was a stronger rose presence.

This is beautiful and unconventional. It smells like a swirl of dry earth mixed with freshly-rained on rich, rich earth and the dry spicy gingerbread notes folded in. I tried it at a Meet 'n Sniff and kept waiting for it to turn into something unpleasant (thinking it was too good to be true). It's not.

Rich, loamy, crumbly earth and muted but still spicy gingerbread. If you wear this, people will be asking you about it.

ITI: It's that strong gingerbread notes that overpowers almost everything. If I concentrate, I can pick up dried roses and earth.

Wet: Gingerbread and dried roses - that's it. It reads as a spicier than some of the other gingerbreads, but it doesn't have the same depth and complexity as the Villain counterpart.

Dry: Once it has dried for a few hours, the rose is much clearer, as is the rose-leaf and something that strikes me as a spicy brown musk, which might be all that remains of the gingerbread.

Who would have thunk that roses and gingerbread would go so well together? Some dirt here too, which is OK, as I kind of like the labs dirt note. So roses, dirt and gingerbread, but not foody or uber sweet at all. The whole effect is rather spicy and fresh, like the smell of ginger bread baking next to an open window freshly turned soil in a garden bed of roses. I like this, the rose behaves and does not go sour, so very unique, but not really my style. I probably wouldn't turn down a decant, though, if one were to fall on my lap. As for the rest of my decant, I'll use it when the mood arises:)

This is instant top ten for me too. I already love Zombi, and the spices give it such a delicious new dimension. The dirt and the roses smell edible, too. I bought a decant, and I'll be looking for a bottle.

In the decant: More gingerbread than Zombi. It's gingerbread with a bit of dirt.

Wet: The gingerbread dominates. It is really strong, and there is only a hint of the Zombi part of the scent.

Dry: Still mostly gingerbread spices on me, with just a hint of Zombi to suggest that there is something not quite right about the gingerbread.

Verdict: I am glad that I was able to try this one! I like it, but I don't feel the need to try and hunt down a bottle at this time.

ETA: I did end up hunting down a bottle of this after all. :lol: I regret nothing.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Oh, this is fun! From afar, it smells like a great foodie scent, then up close, I can smell zombi in it. I love zombi and holiday foodies, so this is a keeper that surprisingly works!

Dude this works! Spicy cinnamon, slightly sweetened earthy rose, or rosey earth. It has killer thow. Goff AF, it really makes me miss the goth clubs. I smell spoopy and no one except me is here to enjoy how glorious this scent is, so I'll just be here behind my computer, lol.  :type:

Edited by RoseThornAndOak