Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

PROGRESSUS
Make a purchase at Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab on Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, or Cyber Monday, and receive a free imp of PROGRESSUS: a blend of Solar oils believed to generate abundance, augment success, and bestow good fortune, including golden amber, honey laurel, heliotrope, saffron, and Atlas cedar.

Yum! This smells rich, appropriately enough. It's woody, resinous, and somehow metallic. The Atlas cedar is not a pencil-shavings scent, but has a real depth, anchoring the brightness of the saffron. There's a warmth from the amber and a sweetness from the heliotrope. I'm unfamiliar with the scent of honey laurel; I think it might be the sort of bay-leaf tinge I'm getting initially that contributes to the "metallic" impression.

As it dries down, the resins and woods remain and I get more vanillic heliotrope, less metal. There's also something earthy that I can't identify, but love.

I'm so glad I ordered when I did to get this lagniappe. It's delicious in a strong, dark-golden way.

Somewhere between the wet stage and the complete drydown I get a bit of the "metallic" quality that MountainGrrl spoke of, but thankfully it is short-lived. This is an interesting, amber/woodsy, warm blend that I find oddly comforting.

I wanted this for its good fortune drawing properties, but I love the scent as well.

Thank you, Lab! It is always such a pleasure to shop with you on Black Friday. :wub2:

I'm really loving this. It took a bit to warm up but then wow! Rich and warm and woody (but not woodsy), with an edge of sweet. Even the metallic is warm, like the reflection of sun on polished brass.

This SMELLS like abundance! Rich, golden, sweet wood...it reminds me a bit of a Variety of Pleasing Amusements. I'm thankful for my imp, and wish it was GC!

This scent is very warm... it smells golden (Lab magic strikes again!). I get cedar, and something metallic. When it dries on my skin, it's all polished wood with a subtle background of spice (I can detect the saffron if I concentrate). Reminds me a lot of the wood note in Bezoar, only Progressus smells lower-pitched to my nose, if that makes sense. It's a masculine scent to my nose (though I wouldn't hesitate to wear it myself... I'm just saying, I bet this would smell incredible on a guy!). Really happy I got to try this one!

Many thanks to Beth and the lab for giving us these cool magical lagniappes!

Such an evocative scent, the image that popped into my mind was our brass section in band: shiny gold polished metal. An appropriate metaphor for drawing wealth!

Oh, I very much like this. I thought I loved last year's Black Friday scent, but this one is possibly even better. It's also a bit sweeter, and has a great deal of throw on my skin, which is nice. I like to be complimented on my perfume, but so many BPALs cling so close to my skin that I feel like it goes completely unnoticed!

Like most of the others who have reviewed already, I get a slightly metallic scent at the start; it's like the smell of warm metal, though...it's sort of like being in one of the pewter shops at a summer Ren Faire, or like being close to the wood stove at my mum's when it's ripping hot in winter. It's only a little bit metallic, though, and it's mostly consumed by the scent of honey and cedar that rise straight to the forefront. The honey quality (I can only assume it's the laurel? Possibly the heliotrope?) comes out rich and deep on my skin, with the cedar light and woody behind it. It's also warm and dry with the amber, and there's a light quality that may be the saffron, or maybe the heliotrope; whatever it is, it's light and flowery, and cuts the honey's thick heaviness to keep it from being too overwhelming.

This is a very warm, cozy, rich scent. As Kajacana said, it literally smells golden. There's almost a fuzzy quality to it for me, as well--it kinda makes me want to snuggle up with something that smells like this (possibly the fiance, if this smells anywhere near this good on him :3) for a nap. Definitely wish this was a GC scent.

I had no idea what this was when I placed my order on Black Friday weekend. I was just thrilled to get an extra special imp. I didn't know what it was for or what was in the blend until after I put it on. Oddly, my first association was with Blockbuster, but it lacks the funk that BB has.

I was not impressed by it in the bottle. Maybe it's what others are perceiving as "metallic". But as it dries, it warms up nicely to a dark, rich cedar & amber with a hint of something floral. It smells to me what I think a cedar hope chest might smell like. It's an appropriate relation.

To wrap this one up into a few simple words: warm, woody, rustic and aged.

Speaking of aged, I think this is only going to get better with time. Too bad it's only an LE imp!

starts off slightly metallic (not a fan of this, but it is minimal and only lasts for a short time). On the skin it opens to a deep woody warmth and then as the skin heats it up, the honey laurel comes out as a light, sweet honey scent that is not headache inducing at all. There is a slight spice to this honey scent that makes it unique to my small bpal collection and I am happy to have it. As of this moment, it has been on for 3 1/2 hours and it still going strong.

Definitely agree with the first review--delicious in a strong, dark-golden way. It's bright, and I agree with an almost metallic tinge that I think might be the saffron and the heliotrope, but I'm not sure. There's a brightness to it that cuts the depth of the cedar and warm, rich amber, and a sweetness to it as well. It almost smells nutty, but it isn't quite nutty, either, just gives me that impression. There's a honeyed, almost bay-leaf-esque scent to it that I assume is the honey laurel. I was dubious of this scent in the imp, but I wanted to use it for its magical properties, so I used it anyway--but it's lovely on, warm and woody and sweet and just, yes, rich. It smells almost thick to me, but in a bright, polished, open, warm sort of way--I agree that it's almost snuggly. I definitely get the cedar, but it's a warm, deep, enriched, almost honeyed cedar, not a hint of pencil shavings in sight.

Very nice indeed! And it's so cool of the lab to include these magical extras--I'm very grateful and it's awesome to be be wearing this!

Echoing all those who say this is warm, sweet, and golden. Golden amber is always a good note on my skin, and it’s playing nicely as usual here. I also get the faint metallic note as the oil dries down, though it’s not overpowering or offputting. There’s a light sweetness from the heliotrope and what I’m guessing is the honey laurel. I don’t usually like floral notes, but I like this very much. The cedar is not nearly as strong as I expected, considering that I usually amp any and all woods.

I also wish this were GC.

Thank you so much for this blend! I love it.

Yes, it smells warm and golden and, dry on my skin, reminds me very much of Oblivion.

Here's hoping it helps bring about some progress in my life.

Progressus smells golden. From the imp, I mostly get honey, heliotrope and amber.

On wet, its the honey laurel that is predominant, with amber and saffron... and perhaps a touch of cedar. It's a dark golden blend, and for a strange reason seems a little 'heavy', like it carries some weight to it.

I was a big fan of Economic Recovery, which was the 2012 blend.... and they are both very different in feeling. Whereas Economic Recovery smells like old money, and feels like its about money, Progressus feels like it has a broader scope.

I may need to find more. :)

Thank you to the lovely Mellifluous for frimping this to me! :wub:

The first thing to hit my nose here is the laurel honey - very fresh, and almost 'green' smelling. But right behind it is a gorgeous glowing amber softness, and then the bright saffron peeks through the honey-amber haze. A few minutes later, the waxy sweetness of the heliotrope appears. The only thing I never really find in its own right is the cedar, but there is a 'woodsy' kind of undertone to this blend.

Unfortunately, the honey drowns out everything else here... that's just how honey rolls when it gets on my skin. BOO! I love all the golden warmth and brightness of Progressus, but that damn honey just spoils it... this ends up being just all honey all the time :(

I'm getting mainly cedar from this, both in the vial and on the skin. The rest is a jumble of deliciousness that I can't quite distinguish (I'm not super good at identifying individual notes...)

It's sweet and woodsy and spicy, and I really like it! That's all I can say. Definitely keeping my little imp.

Got my imp the same place the rest of you did :)

Now I'm wishing I had bought every bottle from that lot separately to have more imps of this!

IN THE IMP: Lovely lovely lovely. Truly a golden scent crowned with regal cedar.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: I love this. The amber and cedar amp up right away and the sweetness and floral sits at their feet. This is such a "me" blend.

DRYDOWN: Subtle, lovely, uplifting. Every note works perfectly.

OVERALL: I love love love this. I wish the Lab would consider putting bottles out there ... perhaps, based on the description, it might be in the next TAL update??? (Wishful thinking).

On a scale of 1-5, a definite 5.

Wet: This is the most beautiful honey playing with cedar. The honey laurel (the only listed note that could be the honey) is deep and green and sweet, warmed by the cedar. I usually amp cedar to high heaven, so it's nice to see the cedar being a secondary player.

Drying: The amber is much more noticeable now, adding even more dimension to this stunning scent. There is also a floral note which must be the heliotrope. usually that goes right to my head in the worst ways, but it is kept beautifully in check by the cedar and honey.

Dry: This gets close to the skin as it dries (though I did test just the tiniest amount) but is snuggly and bright. Very much an uplifitng, sweet but not foody scent.

I want all of the imps. All of them. Such a shame I'm probably going to be hard pressed to find any extras. XD

In the imp: First thing that hits me is the "metal" tang. It's similar to the one I get with Plunder, though the core scent is very different - Progressus strikes me first as metallic cedar.

Wet on my skin: The earthy tones come strongly into play. The combo of notes makes me think of patchouli. When I make myself try to sort them out, I come up with "green" (probably the laurel) and "roots" (cedar plus the other oils?)

Drydown: Smoky patchouli. I could also call it leafy, woody, earthy...you probably get the idea!

This has a pretty big throw for me and lasts a long time, easily a full day. It's not to my taste, but for those of you who like these tones, worth checking it out in swaps!

Woodsy and warm. The cedar and amber are lovely together. Wish I could pick out the saffron, but my nose isn't that refined. I really love it, reminds me of Incensio de Santa Fe cedar incense that I love. My husband swears he picks out a chocolaty note. The only downside is that it's not super strong, so I'd have to slather it on. Wish it came in a 5ml.

About my skin: My skin loves sugar and cakes but any chocolate and many vanillas turn plastic and powdery. Booze gets amped (but wonderfully) and will tone down the plastic smells of vanilla but NOT chocolate. Wine, creams and honey often turn sour immediately. White, red and dark musks are love. Vetiver and Civet are not. I can also be sensitive to cinnamon in a blend but a little Snake Oil almost always takes the burny away.

About my nose: Kitchen spices (peppers, ginger, cardamom and sage) make me sneeze. Frankincense reminds me of sage. I dislike the smell of leather. Almost anything floral or wood (including sandalwood) gives me a headaches but I can do bergamot, rose and sweetpea in small doses. I don't like licorice either. Forest smells are great, decay is not. I really love linen and clean smells. Citrus is hit or miss.

Imp: Amber! Amber and it's so good and so warm!

Skin: I'm getting a sort of sweet honey amber. Actually, it's really nice. Honey almost always goes sour on me within seconds but the amber is saving it. I'm getting some light florals too (helitrope sometimes plays nice in blends where I amp something my nose really likes, like amber and resin) but it's wonderful! Unfortunately, at the thirty minute mark, it's ALL CEDAR. There goes my skin ruining a good thing.

Verdict: Not going to keep this at all. Any sweetness has died and it's not ALL CEDAR AND WOOD ALL THE TIME. For people that like cedar, this is going to be gold on you. But for people like me, who prefers sweet things, its a disappointment.

I seem to have been lucky enough to get this one well after Thanksgiving/Cyber Monday, thanks to Ted's kindness for throwing it into my BPTP order! I dig cedar, so I've got high hopes for this one.

Wet: An odd, musty cedar. Not strong at all! I'm immensely surprised, I expected this to be a very strong scent and I'm barely getting honey and cedar, and maybe a breath of florals.

Drying: I essentially have to put my nose on top of this scent to get anything at all, and all I'm getting is wood. I think the saffron may be peeking out with a touch of spice. So faint though.

Dry: This has to be one of the lowest throw BPAL's I've ever tried. Maybe it just happens to be the imp I got my hands on though!

Um, wow. I keep waiting for the amber in this to turn on me but it isn't (doubly surprising because of the saffron). This is gorgeous! As others have noted this is not a dry cedar at all but a rich, warm one that blends in so well with the amber that they almost become one complete, resinous note. The honey and heliotrope are sweet but not too sweet, similarly blending in enough that it's hard to pick the scent apart. It's perfectly blended and nothing takes over or sticks out. Overall this reminds me a bit of a deeper, sweeter Palmyra.

Wow this is incredibly golden smelling. It's amber and cedar with a helping of saffron. It dries to also have some honey notes join in, and the cedar settles down a little. It all blends to be a very warm scent. It's perfect for winter and it oddly feels a bit hopeful. I'm not a massive fan of resins most of the time, but this is so incredibly beautiful. I'm very happy to have my imp.

Another pretty and golden scent today!

On the wand, Progressus is a woodsy, saffron-threaded amber.

Coming out onto the skin, the oil is a lovely amber color. It warms up and blooms on my skin immediately, with more throw than I expected. It throws out even more saffron, along with the lovely amber, and now the cedar and a light honeyed and floral sweetness. The cedar adds a bit of a rustic quality, but the blend is polish-smooth.

This is really balsamic, and solar, and I love it.

I feel incredibly lucky to have received this from a recent Etsy lab/post order! It's pretty rough when it goes on wet. The cedar and the heliotrope are battling it out, and end up smelling tangy. It calms down, and the honey laurel saddles up to the cedar, and the amber lays down on top of it to round it out, and femme it up. Still manages to stay on the unisex side to me, though.