Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

In the bottle, Grog is deliciously buttery, with an alcoholic kick behind it. Mmm. I want to drink this. For a while on the skin, I get pure yumminess, and the throw is lovely for a long time...but unfortunately, after it sits long enough, I get the sad result of what happens to many ultra buttery scents--burnt rubber bands. I get that smell sniffing directly from the arm, but even the throw after a while ends up smelling like latex gloves. Darn. Off it goes.

In the bottle: Butterscotch rum!

On the skin: Oy. I tried to eat my arm. :P It's like liquid butter rum lifesavers. Delicious! Highly sugary sweet, but with a big shot of rum.

in bottle: buttery rum, which makes me a bit nervous, as hellcat didnt get along very well with me.

on me: wow. buttery rum, still. and then more buttery rum. gets a little butterscotchy, but still, yum. i kinda wanted to have a drink that tasted like this. something to wear when pirates of the caribbean 2 comes out!

Gnaaaah!

Wow, this smells EXACTLY like hot sweet buttered rum. Unfortunately, I don't think I really want to smell like that. Still...whoa. Outrageous.

Also, it led directly to me learning to make *real* hot buttered rum, since it induced a craving for said drink in both myself and the friend who came with me...we bought a bottle of rum on the way home and made a pot of it when we got back home. Yum. Thank you, Lab.

Why do others get booze from the boozy scents when I seldom do? [insert pirate cuss words here!]

In the imp: Arrr! Hot buttered rum! This be the scent of the office holiday party!

Wet: Gooey butterscotch candy.

Dry: Hot buttered toast, with a coating of sweetness--like the cinnamon toast my mother used to make with lots of sugar mixed into the cinnamon. The throw is pretty good.

But where has all the rum gone? As far as I can tell, it was never there at all.

Fresh from the lab imp:

Butterscotch. From the imp, to my skin, to the drydown. No rum whatsoever, just a sickenly sweet butterscotch candy scent.

After the imp's aged for a few months:

Buttery rum, emphasis on the rum. From the imp, to my skin, to the drydown. I really smell like a drunken pirate! :P

Not something I want to smell like, but very interesting!

I like both boozey and foody, and I thought I'd like this. I was right.

At first it smells mainly like butterscotch, with a little bit of rum. Just like the other reviewers said. :P

But the extreme buttery quality fades pretty quickly... after a few minutes it's mostly rum with a little butterscotch twinge to it, and also a little bit of spice. Smells more tropical over time.

In the bottle: Liquid butterscotch. Very sweet - almost too much.

On wet: Still sweet, but now there's something starting to show up. Not quite sure what it is, but it's not a great combination.

On dry: Morphed into a very heady blend. I can now smell notes of tobacco or smoke mixed with the butterscotch. A bit boozy. Maybe I just put too much on, cause it's a bit overpowering.

2 hours: Faded away enough to be plesant. More of the rum notes are coming through now.

Throw: A little less than average.

Verdict: It's ok. Not something I'd wear everyday, but def. not one to get rid of. I woke up the next morning and could still smell the butterscotch faintly.

Butterscotch ahoy! This is liquid butterscotch candies in the imp and wet -- creamy and buttery and holy crap! Delicious!

Dry, some boozy notes come out and the butterscotch gets a little less foody. Maybe a tiny bit spicy. Still buttery, though, but not obnoxiously so. Yeah, I'm getting a bottle of this for fall.

eta: About half an hour later, oh no! It turns a little soapy and woody. I think I'll try layering it to see if I can avoid that. I luff it way too much to give up on it this easily.

Edited by karen

I kind of feel like I just rolled in Bailey's. At least, the intial application of Grog was a sweet, creamy, booze scent. On me, the booze quickly disapeers and I'm left with a milky, butterscotchy smell. Not bad.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Buttery coconut rum.

Preconceived notions: I'm not a big fan of rum, so I'm not holding my breath.

In the imp: ...Butterscotch? What in blue hell?

On skin, wet: Thick butterscotch with a sharp tang of rum beneath it. The butterscotch is most unexpected, but not unpleasant.

On skin, dry: Warm, buttery rum and coconut. Very odd, this one. Not at all bad or unpleasant, but very odd. After a while, the rum starts to thin out, and smells a fair bit plastic.

Conclusion/Notes: I think, sans rum, I might've really liked this. A few inches away, Grog's drift is a divine (albeit very foody), faintly-sugared butterscotch; nearer the skin, plastic.

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: Wow! This smells wonderful! Not too boozy, buttery, yum!

Wet: Nice, I guess. All the things I liked about it in the bottle have diminished.

Dry: Eh. It's not at all what it was in the bottle. Darn.

Wear again? No. There are too many scents I love.

Grog

In the bottle: Butter rum lifesavers candy. Yum!

Oh no! At first, I could only smell that vegetable oil scent that I also got from MB Underbed. What? But then, rich creamy rum. Gar! I even get a whiff of the cask it was stored in! :P

Grog - When I first got into BPAL, a friend told me Grog was the worst one on her and not to ever try it. So I didn’t for the longest time, but now, I have finally tried it, and I like it! It’s smells like a Butter Baby shooter (my favorite shooter drink of all time). It’s sweet and creamy and smells like rum and butterscotch. I don’t normally like scents like this, but this one is fabulous! I’m going to most definitely burn it in my oil burner, but I’m afraid if I keep wearing it on my skin I’m going to have indentations in my arms from where I can’t stop licking myself. It has the perfect amount of throw, and moderate staying power. I need more Grog! Love it!

In the imp: Butterscotch! And rum, too - it smells like a very dangerous cocktail, really.

On me, wet: now the rum is stronger than it was, and there's something buttery behind it. Still a lot of butterscotch, though.

On me, dry: still butterscotchy rum. It gets a bit more buttery and less butterscotchy over time.

Verdict: well, it's okay - it gets a bit too greasy-feeling for my taste, but it's certainly not horrible. Don't think I'll wear it, though.

In the imp - STRONG scent here, even when the imp is closed! Buttered rum, something deliciously tropical - coconuts and pineapple I think! (Note - I got this as a decant from a 5ml, which might explain why I could smell it so strongly in a closed imp - some might have sloshed over the side and dried)

Wet - Very complex – dominant is a buttered rum, but there's a fruitiness as well (coconut/pineapple?) Boozy undertone but not at all unpleasant. This is gorgeous.

Dry - The hint of booziness fades, and this smells of tropical fruit, stilll buttery. It does smell like fresh pineapple. I like this!

(time elapse) Uh-oh, what's this? A hint of smokiness creeping in... hmm..

(more time passes) GACK! Where did the lovely, sweet fruit go? All of a sudden my hand smells of burnt rubber! What happened?

Oh geez, I don't know what to do with this. The burnt rubber smell was *awful* and I couldn't get it off of me! My husband came in and asked why the room smelled like burning rubber. The strength of this scent was gorgeous when it was fruity and buttery and boozy, but the same strength was a curse when the scent morphed. If it didn't change so horribly I'd adore this. I kind of want to try it in my oil burner, but I hate the thought of getting it on my fingers to do so given how terribly it reacted on me.

In the imp Grog smelled like slightly buttery sweet rum to me.

Applied (and I was quite generous with appyling), the butter took over and I thought I'd ruined my day, as I had to hurry to work and no time was left to wash it off again.

I put some of The Apothecary in my hair to lift me out of that thick butteriness and left the house.

Alas, the scent changed, thank goodness. The butteriness faded a little and left me with a more sugary, cooky like scent. I really enjoyed that stage. It was warm and sweet, slightly spicy, but not greasy and thick anymore.

Still some hours later, I got a strong blast of thick vetiver and maybe a bit of tobacco. At that point it certainly leaned more to the masculine side, still being quite wearable for a female, though.

Altogether, I'm not sure that I'd wear this a lot. I should probably try again when the weather is more crisp in late autumn or winter. Grog doesn't really go well with the current heat outside IMO.

Throwing a glance at the reviews above: I never at any time got any fruits from it, but then my nose isn't all that good neither, so I might just not have noticed them.

i SO wanted the butter and sugar and butterscotch... even the whiskey!

i got this yesterday as a lovely GWP from a formumite...

in the imp, it smells like Buttershots -- which i lovelovelovelovelove.

as soon as it hits my skin, then i get the dark, spiced rum that's so nummygood with still a little buttershots sweetness on top.

within five minutes, though, it turns into Malibu (coconut rum).... spilled on the carpet Malibu.... which is wierd.

if this didn't have the evil coconut in it, it'd be perfect. that didn't stop me from slathering myself into a rumcloud last night right before i went to sleep, though. i will hafta get a bottle, even if it never touches my skin, cuz it smells SO GOOD wet.

AND i must get a bottle for my best girlfriend who's pregnant, and plans to breastfeed, and who is seriously missing her rum....

oooooo, maybe it'll go in a scent locket today!

edit: my friend (who i still plan to get a bottle for) was admitted to the hospital a few days ago (and had her baby, c-sec, 2mos early, a few days later) anyway. i took an imp of Grog up to the hospital for her, just to sniff, to hopefully cheer her up. we spilled a teeny tiny little droplet on her blanket, and the whole room smelled SO GOOD for hours. the nurses must've thought somebody had brought in a bottle. various members of the family tried it out, and it stayed lovely on almost everyone. i guess i'm just (coco)nuts.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Bottle: very boozy, buttery rum.

Wet: whoah, all booze - that sinus-pinging affect of taking a good whiff of a drink.

Dry: same, growing sharper.

Later: boozy...plastic? WTF? :P

Imp: Buttery and warm - slightly boozy and very very sweet.

Wet: Butter-rum LifeSavers! *gnaws wrist off*

Drydown: Something sharp and almost burnt comes up very quickly, accompanied by the odor of cheap rum. I hope this dissipates 'cause I smelled like this in college and don't need it again. :P

1 hour: The burnt smell (not quite plastic or rubber bands) continues. It's still pretty strong.

2 hours: The burnt smell disappeared rather suddenly, along with the strength of the scent. Now it's just a very quiet butterscotchy smell. Pleasant, if sweet.

Verdict: Not for me. I don't generally like foody scents anyway, but the weird ashtrays-and-cheap-rum effect sealed the deal.

Not quite burnt butterscotch and rum. On skin I get a bit of an aquatic note as well as a VERY light hint of fresh coconut. The rum fades to the background(but doesn't completely disappear), and I'm left with smoky-sweet concoction of pure yumminess :P

For those who wear different blends according to the weather/time of year, imo, this one works year-round. The fresh coconut, while super light, makes it great for the warmer months while the smoky sweetness gives it a depth and richness that makes it perfect for fall/winter.

This smells so yummy in the imp. Not boozy at all but way more foody. A rich, buttery, toffee (?) scent. It's the same on my skin. Sweet and foody and thick but not overpowering at all. This is fabulous!! Although I still like Gluttony better.

A generous gift in a swap. And so timely, with the recent Pirate movie..

Yo Ho Ho thar be Rum Raisin Ice Cream in yonder imp. Not much to add to the previous, just that the cakey buttery sweetness is somewhat "anchored" by spiced rum. Great at what it does, but foody isn't an everyday thing for me. But this will be perfect for a trip to the theater.

In the vial, this smells of delicious, yummy toffee liqueur rather than rum! It’s the sort of drink a pirate would drink if he drank girly pirate drinks!! Either way, it’s alcoholic – on my skin this morphs slowly from a boozy butterscotch into coconut rum, with lots of luscious notes you’d expect in a drink with a little umbrella. After a few hours this a gorgeously sweet Malibu-like boozy coconut scent on my skin.

Edited by kunoichi