Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pkwench

Pluto

Covert Operations - Enigmas - Defiance - Psychoanalysis - Terror - Anonymity - Immortality - Sadism - Transformation - The Unknown - Discovery Of Error - Detection Of Injustice

I've always held a rather pointless affection for the last 3 planets in our solar system. The blue twins have their own frozen mysteries and beauties, but tiny Pluto, the little guy in the back of the class, for some reason I've always had a particular soft spot. So, of course, I had to try Pluto as soon as it was listed. Since it's so recently been dc'd, I'm twice as glad that I did.

Warning, I'm awful at pulling out particular notes. Perhaps the next reviewer will be better at that aspect of it.

In the vial, Pluto is very chilly and almost metallic. There's a sharp, but pleasing, note that goes straight to the nose, forcefully opening up those sinuses and shouting "Smell me, bitch". I loved it for that. *G* It's a very strange thing, what I'm about to say, and only people that have smelled this particular combination will understand what I mean. On the second sniff, Pluto reminds me, not smells like exactly, but reminds me of the linseed and turp combination I used in oil painting in college. I was always heavy with the linseed and a freakishly sloppy painter, so the smell of the linseed in particular always reminds me of that. It's probably also why I find Pluto to be so instantly pleasant. I haven't painted in 10 years, but it made me so happy.

Wet: It holds that same linseed/astringent/metallic quality for a few minutes. It's a very strong and dominating scent, but one you sort of seem powerless to dislike.

Drying: The smell of skin comes out and the strong note tempers down into something smooth.

After about an hour: It's morphed into a lovely, metallic sort of citrus/astringent on skin scent. I know that sounds peculiar, but it's very clean smelling.

Pluto? I love you and will love using my imp! Also, I'm stupidly touched that it came to me tarted. :P

(ps-I didn't see a thread for Pluto, but if I've mistakenly started one when one already exists, please merge! Thank you!)

First sniff: Appropriately, Pluto is dark, cold and mysterious, a woody-resiny scent with maybe a hint of mint?

Wearing: I’m almost positive there’s mint in this, or at least something that makes my nose cold the same way mint does. The aura is mint and dark wood, with a hint of incense. I liked this one on me more than I expected to. :P

pluto is a strange, strange beast.

it's kind of bitter/metallic in the vial.. the moment it touched my skin, it became aquatic. as it's drying, it's kind of like undertow without the rotting wood (though there's still a woody presence) or super strong mint.

not sure if i adore, but i think i like it. we'll have to bond some more.

Hmmm. Fruity/alcoholic/astringent in the bottle. Something sweet that you'd put on an open wound, LOL.

On the skin...musk and floral. A similar note is in Le Petite Mort and Hell's Belle, I think. There's something really familiar there. A background of some aquatic note as well.

This is great, a very complex scent. I'm happy I got it before it went away.

Pluto is very close to what I was imagining: ice and stone.

There's a kind of turpentine/menthol coldness on application, followed by the dusty smell of snow. I can see myself wearing this when I want to be distant and opaque.

at first: a sharp floral scent, with a lot of other notes.

on: i can't describe it. it may be fruity or citrussy.

1 hour later: i think i may be smelling patchouli or violet. odd, but pretty.

3 hours later: still odd, but i like it. i still can't pick out any specific notes.

6 hours later: very light and soft. once again, i pick out the notes, but i like it.

overall: well, i like this, but i don't know why.

In bottle: Cedarwood and oakmoss, and something almost metallic. No, not metallic...it's hard to explain. It's almost like paint thinner, over the wood notes.

On me: The wood notes are very strong, but an aquatic floral is bubbling up. It's almost like cedar and mint and salty tears. It's quite unique - offhand I can't think of anything like this.

Pluto:

Originated from: Celestials Circular swap

Wet: As with most of the celestial oils, I get something strongly herbal upon application. It then fades into something totally different.

Drydown: Pluto took a sharp turn towards something blue, perhaps aquatic, and white.

Longterm wear: After about an hour, Pluto turned soapy on me. :P I doubt I'd wear it often, if at all.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Dark. Some sort of wood? Maybe a resin? I'm not sure. It's very mysterious and remote.

Wet: Sharp and vaguely metallic? What is that note? I can't identify it.

Drydown: Cedar? It's musty and cold in this stage.

Final thoughts: This is very appropriate for this planet, but I don't think I'd wear it.

Pluto smells like deep space.

No, well, it smells like eucalyptus, too -- a very strong, medicinal, menthol smell -- but it reminds me of the faraway blackness of distant outer space. I feel like this is what the quantum physics scents will smell like -- there's a cold, clinical distance in this, a sort of ozone behind the menthol. Now that I look at the other reviews after writing down my impressions, I agree with the descriptions of it as being cold and metallic. The methol smell becomes less strong with time, into a more cold and glossy mint. I see dark, dark metallic green in my mind when I smell this, or dark hematite.

I probably wouldn't wear this if I had more of it, but I can see being in the dark of night under a moonless sky and using this for something profoundly introspective, or for some sort of banishing, or work with outer planetary aspects. But since I just use oils as perfumes right now, I probably wouldn't use it. I am anxious to see what some of the astronomical/physics inspired scents will smell like now, though, because I think this is a brilliant use of scent to convey something so very distant, alien and cold. Also -- it clears the sinuses!

Unfortunately my imp broke in the mail. :P What I got from this scent where it had soaked onto the note my swapper sent was the astringent and bitter/metallic qualities some reviewers have mentioned above, as well as a menthol-pine-mint sort of scent. I could swear I smell vetivert in there as well..in fact this was the dominant note for me. I don't think this would have worked out on my skin because pine, mint and vetivert don't like me, but it would have been nice to swap it for another Celestial. Ah well, better luck next time.

celestial circular swap

hmmm in the bottle, stone, aquatic. and resinous.

on it is very cedar, possibly eucalyptus...it is sharp makes my nose rn like a bugger as it dries it gets soapy yet still is sharp.

In the bottle: Strong medininal herbs.

First on: It's definitely icy, but not in a cold unfriendly way. My nose is a bit stuffy from smelling imps all day, but it reminds me of a frozen waterfall in the middle of the woods. Beautiful & icy, but alive & almost like it's inviting you to come touch it.

Drydown: It's morphed into a more aquatic & metallic tone, which is more what I was expecting from Pluto. There's still a woodsy scent in the background, but it's hidden by the metallic tang and the icy water. It's very fitting.

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

Very incensey, no sweetness at all. This was terrible with my skin chemistry (interesting, considering I'm a Scorpio and my understanding is its my ruling planet)

Bottle (Imp): This smells smooth, chilly, and the tiniest bit sweet.

Just On: The sweet fades away, leaving the smooth coldness.

An hour or two later: Hmmm, it's still chilly, but there's something else there now. I can't quite figure out what it is though.

Around 6 hours: Hmmm, a bit of breeze, a chilly breeze.

12 hours: It's pretty well gone.

Overall: Very cold, like the flagpole on a winter day, and a bit of breeze. Quite an interesting scent, and very fitting.

After reading other reviews: I get the cold metallic, but no wood at all.

From the Celestial Swap.

This one started off completely indescribable. I couldn't place it at all. It had an odd amonia smell when still weton my wrist. As the day went on, it faded into something vaguely like patchouli and something else I can't name, possibly musk and an aquatic note. It smelled REALLY good though and I love it. Appropriately, it is an enigma. :P

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

While sweet and classically "perfumey" in the vial, Pluto is green and fresh once it's on my skin.

It's greener than green, a dark, wild green that's sweet and fresh and growing, not cold or bitter. It could be the scent of some fantastic intergalactic forest that's flourishing many, many light-years away from our civilization and its concept of life.

I love it!

pluto.jpg

Menthol, vetiver, eucolyptus. Dark and rooty but with stone smell. Perhaps I am smelling lime underneat the stone. This is not a "feel good" scent of the year, but it certainly does capture what I like about the god Pluto and the planet whirrling out there so very far away.

there is something of a wild beauty in the background. Whatever it is, I don't know. Could it be a nod to the idea that Pluto, that lovesick dark entity finally did snag Persephone from the sunny earth and could keep her for 6 months, to brighten his life just a little? Or is it a homage to be intense glory we will never know first hand of the last of our planets to be discovered?

Edited by olympia301

First on, Pluto smells like a cold aquatic scent with the added bite of chilly menthol. Cold and slightly medicinal. Not me at all.

In the drydown, the aquatic notes move to the background and this smells like dark, rotting woods and earthy roots. It smells sort of like black patchouli and cedar on me, but darker and less spicy than either of those notes usually smell on me. And... the combination of this with aquatics and menthol is very strange and unpleasant on me.

I'm glad that I was able to try this one from someone else's imp, but I definitely don't find myself needing a full bottle or even an imp of my own. This just does not work well at all with my skin chemistry. The boy made me wash it off and refused to try it on himself. Sad, because I have a fondness for Pluto in concept.

Sweet, dark wood. Resinous incense.

Not what I pictured for Pluto, but I really like it. A touch masculine, but works well for me on those androgynous days. :P

So few reviews!

I don't know what I was expecting... mostly, I think, vetiver and dirt, maybe pomegranate. This is anything but, though.

What I get is: Clean, fresh pine needles (the wet, green kind, there's no powder-pine here), fresh-cut grass, a subtle hint of mint and/or cedar, and something indefinably sweet. For being representative of the Underworld, this is an awfully -living- scent, like lying on a new-mown lawn on a late-spring day, under the shade of a fragrant pine. It totally lacks the stifling powdery qualities of so many evergreen-type blends, and yet isn't acrid or overly masculine.

I admit, I don't usually wear pine-type blends. BUT. I could make a serious exception for this; it's positively gorgeous. And it doesn't make me sneeze or go headachey. I can't get over how fresh and gentle and dark it is... it's the fertile belly from which, in time, all life will spring anew. A fitting 'end' for the Celestial series! :P

Pluto

In the bottle: I don't know

On me: Definitely masculine. Like hugging my Grandpa when he's dressed up. I can agree with classic on this.

I swear I am smelling cherry blossom but as soon as I get that, it morphs into something more metallic and ozoney and then something a bit peppery. The play with the ingredients is amazing! I wasn't sure what to expect but I am very pleased with how this smells.

A sharp, wooded scent. This reminds me a bit of pencil shavings with a cedar edge. Is there some vetiver in there? Maybe that's the problem, vetiver and I hate eachother. This sort of reminds me of walking into one of those stores where they sell unfinished wood furniture. A bit too earthy and sharp for my liking. I'll find my bottle a better home.