Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Numanoid

Snake Oil in the Pumpkin Patch

Snake Oil in the Pumpkin Patch
There's all manner of shenanigans in this year's pumpkin patch! Pumpkin'ized hybrids of GC BPAL scents abound!

OOH fun to be first!!

Wet in bottle: Mmm...there is that lovely hint of Snake Oil...and some buttery pumpkin!

On Skin: First sniff, very snake oil, but then that lovely pumpkin is peeking out around the corner! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping this would smell like!!

Drydown: This is AHHHmazing....anyone worried about it being a vegetable-y pumpkin, it is NOT! Very yummy....it is a great mix of Snake Oil and walking through a pumpkin patch. I detect a VERY faint hint of something "hay-like" but no worries for those of you who love SO and pumpkin!!! Get this....get it NOW!!!

There is a wonderful sweetness to this as well....foody lovers will love this! Back up bottle worthy!

ETA: Half an hour later.... :thud: I can't stop sniffing my wrist! Smells so good....great throw as well!!

I wasn't sure if this would work on me, as Snake Oil is a scent I want to love but can't. Still, pumpkin does wonders on me and I wanted to see if that would finally produce a Snake blend that I could wear.

Upon applications, it was mainly Snake Oil with a touch of pumpkin, but after a few minutes, the pumpkin really came out to play, to augment but not overcome the Snake Oil. And now it is just so pretty--I keep sniffing my wrist, and The Man loves the spices. I don't find this foody at all, but more spices.

Very much love! Will have to get some backup bottles before it goes down!

While wet, this is very much Snake Oil with a pumpkin note that mellows the typically strong fresh Snake Oil scent. Snake Oil of any vintage really agrees with me, but I think this is going to please even those who only like it aged. When it dries, the pumpkin is more prominent than it was in the beginning.

If you ever thought you wanted a pumpkin Snake Oil, I say get it as soon as you can.

Addendum: This is not buttery, but it's sweeter than raw pumpkin. I'm hoping to buy a couple of backups, because I could easily wear this daily during autumn and winter.

Update on 10/7/2015: Two years later, this is pretty much a sexy spiced pumpkin cake with vanilla buttercream frosting, or Snake Oil with a shot of pumpkin, depending on when and where I wear it. It has more throw than ever, so I can just put one dab on my throat and one dab on the back of one hand (then smush both hands together) and that's plenty.

Edited by boomtownrat

SNAKES IN THE PUMPKIN PATCH

Fresh out of the mailbox, this starts off very pumpkin-y, with a bit more than I want of the buttery note that is predominant in many BPAL pumpkin blends.

Once drydown occurs, though, this scent turns into magic. My beloved Snake Oil finally starts to assert itself, and the pumpkin blends into it and becomes slightly creamy and spicy and it is just heavenly. The buttery note is obliterated, thank God. I definitely still get pumpkin, lots of pumpkin, and it is lovely with the SO.

I slathered some in my cleavage and my youngest son told me my shirt smelled good: "like coffee; no, candy; sweet like pumpkin pie...it smells like Halloween!" :lol:

This will age magnificently and will now be my Go To Autumn Pumpkin Scent. Thank you, Beth! I am so happy to finally have a pumpkin I can wear!

:wub2:

ETA: SWEET BABY JESUS.

I can still smell this on my body this morning, even after a quick shower. It is addictive, folks. I need fifty-seven bottles.

Edited by OctoberGwen

This baby is an absolute dream; As the other reviewers basically have said this is a spicier, creamier snake oil with sweet pumpkin. This, to me, would be more of a day appropriate snake oil because I can't really wear my regular snake oil to work without my colleagues telling me that I smell like a head shop....it's just a little too sexy. Somehow this makes you smell edible but in a much more foody less pure spice kind of a way. I hope that made sense.

I love this, I love this and I want another bottle! Ugh! I have a feeling this will get a lot of uses this fall and beyond!

Holy moly. Gorgeous pumpkin spice with Snake Oil lurking underneath...instant love. I would literally buy 5 bottles of this if I had the money. Love.

Hey! I wanted to add here (13 Oct) that Im wearing this today and the Snake Oil has won out over the pumpkin spice! This is now glorious Snake Oil with a hint of pumpkin spice. Wow.

Edited by Herb Girl

This is exactly what I expected it to be: the pumpkin scent from previous pumpkin patches, plus Snake Oil. It reminds me of a previous pumpkin patch scent--Pumpkin IV from 2009, maybe? As it dries down, the spicy pumpkin stands out more, and the Snake Oil sort of floats above it. I'm definitely curious to see how this ages!

Let me start by saying that Snake Oil is I want to love but it won't let me - on my skin it's all honeyed sugar syrupy sweetness. Even aged, Snake Oil doesn't work out for me and I have some old stuff around here (my spouse wears Snake Oil quite well.) This? This works.

In the bottle: vanilla buttery pumpkin

On the skin: This warms up and has a bit of spice to it that fades pretty quickly into a mellow, creamy scent. There's a nice warm-pumpkin-pie-filling (the way it smells _before_ you cook it) smell here and the pumpkin fades over time. This has a foody edge without making me think "Gee, I smell like a bakery." A little like someone over-vanilla'd the perfect pumpkin pie filling. Definitely a winner and I expect it to age very well.

Snakes in the Pumpkin patch is basically the SO everyone loves with creamy pumpkin shmeared in the background. It adds a slightly foodie tint to SO but not so much that it heads into bakery territory. Finally the Lab made a pumpkin blend I can wear! This is going to be utterly FANTASTIC aged, but while I'll definitely grab a bottle I don't think I need more than one...maybe.

ITB: Pumpkin, spices, a touch of breadiness, and Indonesian oils steeped in vanilla slithering subtle beneath.

Wet: The Indonesian oils are much stronger on my skin. It makes the pumpkin take on a slightly heady tone, although there still is a foody quality to this, especially with Snake Oil's sugared vanilla.

Dry: Light pumpkin with a touch of smoked vanilla and slightly heady Indonesian oils. It's really nice once settled. It reminds me of freshly extinguished incense.

Ok, I have very high hopes for this one because I love Snake Oil, and I so want to love pumpkin scents because they smell so good... until my skin gets involved. It amps all the spice and lets nothing else through! So here goes..

in bottle: HOLY MOTHER SNAKE OIL this smells so amazing!!! Please please please work for me!!

wet on skin: CRAP!! Within 2 minutes all spices and NOTHING ELSE!! Seriously??? Stupid skin chemistry!! :evil:

drydown: Still extremely spicy, I'm still not getting any pumpkin, barely sniffing any Snake Oil, it ain't looking good.

after a few hours: spices calmed a little, and now Snake Oil is coming out, but with a plastic note to it. Well damn, yet another pumpkin that's not even remotely pumpkin on me... and I really need to go wash it off :cry2: getting a headache

edited for spelling!

Edited by Dedee

In the Bottle: Ooh yeah, that's snake oil alright. This is very richly cakey, dusted with SO. Not too heavy though.

Wet: This is so yummy! It's snake oil, but it's mixed with deliciously rich spiced pumpkin cake.

10 mins: This is quite heavily spiced, but the spices aren't cloying. Can still smell that delicious rich cakey undertone.

Drydown: Recognizably SO, but probably a little heavier on the spice than vanilla. Has a deliciously caramelized, cakey aspect that lurks underneath the spice.

Verdict: This is good. Really good. It's spicier than straight SO, not as vanilla. And the pumpkin definitely gives it a golden, caramelized feel. I like it a lot, and will definitely be keeping my bottle.

4.5/5

ETA: Tried this again today for work, and got walloped over the head with cinnamon. The spices in this are drowning my beloved SO unfortunately. And boy this sucker is STRONG. I've been wearing it for 8 hours, and can still smell it on my wrist. It's not quite faint, but not a huge throw either. At the moment, the spiciness is REALLY grating on my nerves for some reason, so I think I may have to let this age and hope the cinnamon fades and the SO becomes more apparent.

Updated rating: 3.5/5

Edited by welcometothefamily

I'm going to have to try this again post-shark week because it is all spice all the time. Where are you, Snake?

So, regular Snake Oil doesn't work on me, but Snake Charmer does, so I had hope for this one. Indeed, the pumpkin makes it a touch foodier and mellower and less head-shoppy on me, like a Snake Charmer cousin, and makes it really nice.

I still have a nearly full bottle of SC:Res, so I don't think I need a whole bottle of this one (especially since I am in love with a TON of Weenies this year) but I will definitely keep/age the imp to see how it matures.

I get lots of Snake Oil when this is wet, then the spicy pumpkin starts kicking in. Now, after about an hour I can get the Snake Oil again, sort of floating under and around the pumpkin. It's a really nice blend! I was afraid that I'd be getting Pumpkin scented baby powder but so far so good. It *almost* makes me want to order a bottle of snake oil and try one more time ;)

Can't wait to see how this ages. I love my aged Snake Charmer and WILF!

This is my very first purchase from BPAL and I will be ordering more scents in the future for sure!! this scent is LOVELY!

At first,in the bottle/wet it seemed too much like incense/a headshop smell which I wasn't so fond of (maybe that is the snake oil?)..but after I let it dry it smells so pumpkin-y and delicious. It's not a heavy pumpkin,just a smooth,warm,comforting autumn pumpkin with a little spice..I love it so much!

I have honestly never liked perfumes or scents because they are so overburdening and my nose is so sensitive to smells,but this was such a wonderful surprise. Something about this scent just makes me feel cozy.

Snake Oil is one of my most favourite BPAL scents ever, both fresh and aged.

Pumpkin scents I generally don't wear a lot of - most of them are too foodie for me, and while they are fun, it's not something I normally want to smell of.

However, Snake Oil + Pumpkin is just gorgeous. I can smell that buttery pumpkin note, but the foody-ness is tempered by the sweet spices of the Snake Oil. I can imagine this is going to age magnificently, with the SO becoming more prominent as time goes on, but still that underlying base of pumpkin to round it out.

This really is fantastic!

I am not a big fan of Snake Oil. I mean, I like it, but it's not one of my favorites. However, I am a big fan of the blends that feature Snake Oil plus other notes, so this was an instant bottle purchase.

In the bottle: I mainly smell the Snake Oil. The pumpkin note is there, but it isn't as strong as the pumpkin in the other pumpkin patch scents I've tried (when sniffed in the bottle). It smells like a creamy, sweet pumpkin. This is really well blended.

Wet: Huzzah! The pumpkin is more prominent on my skin than it is in the bottle. However, that doesn't mean that the Snake Oil is in the background. It, too, is at the front of the blend, and it really complements the pumpkin note. The pumpkin note doesn't seem to be buttery at all. It's a nice, spiced pumpkin that one would use in baking. I am really enjoying this! The pumpkin really softens the heady spices that I usually get when first applying Snake Oil. This is a good thing, because I usually prefer the drydown of Snake Oil to the scent that I get from it when it is first applied.

Dry: This is mainly the drydown of Snake Oil with a hint of pumpkin spice. The drydown of Snake Oil tends to be different on me. Sometimes it is powdery, but other times, I get that lovely vanilla. Right now, I am getting the former, with the spices from the pumpkin, and a hint of vanilla. The drydown of this smelled better on the boy when he wore it yesterday (he usually gets that wonderful vanilla on the drydown).

Verdict: I am keeping my bottle because I like this, and I'm sure it will age wonderfully. However, it is not my favorite pumpkin patch scent this year.

*edited to add* A few weeks of settling seems to have done wonders for this. The spiced pumpkin note is more prominent now, and the drydown is a lovely pumpkin spice Snake Oil scent (as opposed to just regular Snake Oil with a hint of pumpkin spice). It ended up being one of my favorite Weenies this year!

Edited by dementia_divine

Straight up red musk heavy Snake Oil. No pumpkin, barely any of the other notes in Snake Oil, just red musk. It's the yucky kind of red musk too. bleh.

Straight-up Halloween sexiness in a bottle. This is my favourite of all of this year's pumpkin patch scents. I've only lightly skin-tested this baby because my bottles are going into my super-secret BPAL storage box of rarities and treasures and there they will sleep for the next 2-3 years until they're thick and oozy with aged Snake Oil goodness. I cannot wait for that day but wait for it I will and patiently so. Beth is a genius, if you didn't know. This is one of the best Snake Oil incarnations ever and so good I just cannot stop huffing my arm and making orgasm noises. Perfection.

Niiicceee. Perfect balance of pumpkin and snake. Needs a little aging - I will have to pick up a bottle and tuck it away for a few years until it becomes GLORIOUS. I have a feeling this will be crazy sought after in two years.

When wet, I pick up the spicy pumpkin, in about equal measure with the Snake Oil. As it dries down, I find the pumpkin mellows out, and makes this a somewhat softer Snake Oil with a slightly more pronounced spiciness. Once fully dry, though, I find it hard to distinguish from regular Snake Oil, so I probably don't need a bottle.

In The Bottle: Yup, that's Snake Oil and Pumpkin alright! :lol:

Wet On Skin: Ah, the pumpkin is coming out a bit more now. I was hoping for that, as Snake Oil can sometimes easily overpower anything in it's path.

Dry Down: Wow, I'm really surprised at how strong the pumpkin is in this! I feel like it's just sorta of hopping from foot to foot:" now it's pumpkin! Wait, but now it's Snake Oil! Aaaaaand now it's pumpkin again! But hold on-!" it's like this. Because Snake Oil is a scent that, for me, MUST be aged (at least 12 to 18 months. Seriously.), I have this feeling that when aged, this is going to change- for the better. I predict that the pumpkin and SO will mingle more, absorb each others' essence more, and become something really fine. Don't get me wrong- I'm happy to have this bottle now! but I know that in 12 months, this is going to be phenomenal.

Its SO alrighty. The pumpkin is spicy..and I amp spices.. so I'll just have to pass this to the hubby. He'll slather himself in it ;)

This was my first BPAL order.

First Impression of it in the bottle was that it was pure Buttery Pumpkin with a hint of spice. It was incredibly overwhelming to have on so I tried it for one day, then put it away for a couple of days to try my Imps.

Tried it again a few days later but put a few drops in coconut oil to dilute (and prevent a headache) and got pure buttery pumpkin with a hint of spice and just incredible. I spent most of the day sniffing myself.

Third time, I used undiluted oil on my skin and have gotten mostly a spicey scent with a hint of buttery pumpkin. Hubby says he smells both in equal measure and thinks its delicious.

Anyways, it's a total keeper for me, probably will buy a second bottle before it's discontinued.