Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hlinspjalda

Sumatran Red Patchouli

SINGLE NOTE: SUMATRAN RED PATCHOULI
Sexy, dirty, much-maligned and much-loved patchouli… oh, how you get a bad rap. Though some associate you with head shops and Dead show parking lots, you really are so much more:

You are utilized in Chinese medicine to normalize the flow of qi.

In aromatherapy, you are used to diffuse stress, bring comfort and succor, and alleviate depression.

You inspire lust, passion, and carnality, and create a veil of sexual intrigue unmatched by any other fragrance.

You correspond with Saturn and Earth, facilitating grounding, stability, and protection, as well as the acquisition of property and money.

You form the oft-unrecognized basis of innumerable perfumes, adding a unique depth and sensuality, sometimes imperceptibly.

Your olfactory profile is incredibly fluid, ranging from mossy and gritty to wine-rich and voluptuous, and you age like a glorious silver screen goddess.

So the next time someone tells you that you smell like an unwashed hippie, Patchouli, just smile your enigmatic smile. The enlightened know how amazing you are.

This is an answer to prayer. Red patchouli is my favorite patchouli note in the whole catalogue! I bought three bottles of it unsniffed. :blush:

In the bottle: Very intense patchouli, very dark oil (can't see through the bottle).

Wet: Needs time to settle in; it's dark and tannic right now. This is for patchouli lovers, not the patch-curious. I can tell it's going to be worth the wait for total drydown, but patience is required.

Hour and a half: Lovely slightly menthol patchouli, still a little too strong for perfect arm-chewing nomminess, but very nice. On me it's the same as the red patchouli in Anne Bonny.

Four hours: Yep, this is the one. Slightly menthol, arm-chewingly wonderful patchouli.

I am thinking of diluting this with about 10% carrier oil. It's a little stronger than I want it to be. But the nuances of this particular patchouli note are exactly what I was looking for, and I love it.

:squee:

This is a safety blanket in fragrant form, with a serene, grounding quality that I so need. I feel as if I've known it for a long time. Such a nostalgic aroma is something that I'll gladly wear all year round. It's no surprise to me that I love it, as Sumatran patchouli is one of the notes in my beloved Sic Erit. I'm currently wearing SRP layered with SE and it's seamlessly beautiful.

This patchouli is woody-sweet on me and not the "dirty hippie" scent stereotype. Sometimes I swear I get a whiff of cocoa, a ghost of cedar. It's just a little earthy. As hlinspjalda said, this is one for the patchouli lovers. I am one and I'll be buying more of this.

One night I daubed it on shortly before bedtime and in the morning it was still there. When I put it on my wrists I can easily smell it without lifting my arms, but it doesn't overwhelm me.

The oil itself is at least as opaque as #occupywallstreet. It goes on a deep reddish brown. Oh, how magnificent this will be with age!

ETA: I must note that on some days, even if I don't smell of B.O. anywhere else on my body, I can sometimes get that B.O. funk from this patchouli on my wrists. Occasionally black patchouli does this too. My body chemistry has an iffy relationship with straight-up patchouli and I think it's related to what I've eaten and where I am in my hormonal cycle. This morning, coworkers were saying it smelled of hippies in a part of the office where I had just been, but I was too embarrassed to say anything. I hope I can remember never to wear it to work again.

Edited by boomtownrat

Oh sweet baby Jesus.

This is just....gaaaaaaaaaah. Not catch-in-your-throat filthy patch, but a chewy, earthy, spicy patch. So rich and redolent and red. The patchouli from my beloved Tricksy, along with every other of Beth's patch blends that I love.

Patchouli connoisseurs, rejoice. And order seventy-seven bottles.

This is the patchouli single note I've been longing for! It's got a hint of sweetness, yet very earthy, not stinky, but absofuckinglutely the perfect patchouli to wear alone or for added oomph to my other beloved patchouli blends. This to me is the same patchouli that is in so many of my favorite blends. There is no menthol, just dark patchouli wiht a sweet ness in a molasses-sweet kind of way. I want to drown in this... 55 gallon drums of it would not be enough. I bought four bottles and am considering more. This will be the patchouli to age along with me, and to last me for the rest of my life. I swoon, I die, and die happy surrounded by this patchouli. :wub2:

This is a dry, red, parched earth kind of scent. No funky moist rootiness or menthol or unwashed hippies here. It's very different from the patches in Mme Moriarty, Banshee Beat, or Occupy Wall Street. This almost feels like the dust that would cling to your feet as you walked through an ancient town in the middle east. Not sure it's "me", but I'll have to test some more.

Delicious dark red, woody, earthy-sweet patchouli. Not too overwhelming and on my skin it is dusty, dirty, root-like. It makes me think of dry summer days, bare feet in the sand & sun-warmed skin. Absolutely love this and I will cherish my bottle. :)

Edited by leira

This is wonderful. In the bottle it's strong patchouli and reminds me if a good one I had over a decade ago. I can definitely smell that it is "red."

On my skin it is earthy, not dirty, nearly woody and also slightly sweet like there's spiced chocolate there.

Dry, it smells very much like LUSH Karma BBS and Double Fast Luck shower fizzy they had one winter. I've Always found this type of patchouli soothing and stress relieving.

I am very glad I purchased two bottles, which I rarely do since I have many wonderful bpal scents.

This went on so so dirty, I wasn't sure if I could make it through the day. It actually made my to act hurt a little. But now it is that perfect earthy patch I know from my favourite bpals. However, it's also going a little dryer sheet on me, it very clearly can't stand alone against my body chemistry. Huh. A dirt scented dryer sheet. There's a novelty product for you.

Eta: just ate some chocolate, and dayum, does this smell good with chocolate. :thud:

Edited by malibusunny

This is a very earthy scent, and also makes me think a bit of leather. It doesn't have that sort of hashish undertone that a lot of the patch scents have.

I'm not a huge patchouli fan, so I was pleasantly surprised by this (I got a decant). I wouldn't buy a bottle of it, but I am glad I tried the decant.

OK.. I just have to quote this from Beth's prose:

So the next time someone tells you that you smell like an unwashed hippie, Patchouli, just smile your enigmatic smile. The enlightened know how amazing you are.

Dude, I am enlightened. I AM SO FREAKING ENLIGHTENED THAT I AM A GLOWING ORB OF BLINDING LIGHT.

This is the patchouli to end all patchoulis the one patchouli to rule them all. It's the kind of patchouli that makes dogs fart on command, startles old ladies, and makes babies cry. The kind of patchouli that even the stinkiest hippie would say is a bit too strong, then hang their head in shame and go home to have a good bath and a nice cup of tea. It's the kind of patchouli that if you put more than a drop or two on your skin, follows you around for hours and hours and leaves little remnants of itself in every atom of the air that surrounds you. This is not a patchouli for mild-mannered young ladies who are afraid of being noticed - this is a patchouli that enters the room before you do and says SMELL MY MAGNIFICENCE, MOTHAFUCKAS. Just like that, all in capitals, because Sumatran Red Patchouli doesn't give a shit if it offends people.

As soon as I took the lid off my bottle, I knew I was in for a treat as I felt the warm wafting gnarliness of hot feral patchouli hit my nostrils. Resisting the urge to just tip the bottle upside down on top of my head and let this liquid perfection drizzle down all over me, I gently dabbed a little bit on to my wrist, leaned in for a good sniff, and then had a moment of total bliss as this wondrous scent enveloped me completely. Wearing this is like getting a hug from a grizzly bear it's warm, it's snuggly and cuddly, but it's also slightly terrifying.

I love that this patchouli is so warm and earthy and feral, but there's also a delicate smoky sweetness playing around in there. I don't mind a dirty patchouli, but this isn't really that fully dirty kind.. it's definitely more on the earthy/leathery end of the patchouli spectrum rather than the hempy/dirty side. For such a gnarly patch, it's actually very clean if this were a liqueur, it would be right up on the top shelf... this is the good stuff, the real deal. Completely beautiful on its own, but a fantastic base for layering so far I've tried it with Araña (amazing, glowing, gorgeous) and Gelt (unff, wanted to eat myself), and Spanked (don't try that one unless you want to be ravaged)... but the experiments will be never ending because this really is *the* perfect mixer.

So yeah, I love this Sumatran Red Patchouli which, incidentally, actually smells just like my memories of walking around in Sumatra and Indonesia through the haze of incense that's always burning everywhere but I suspect I should have bought more bottles. I am definitely wearing this the next time I travel back in time to 1969.

ITB: Dark, earthy, and almost rum-like.

Wet: I get whiffs of cocoa, menthol, wet soil, and a splash or rum for this patchouli scent. It's dark and enticing, not grunge-fest repelling.

Dry: It's a little smokier once dried, but I still can pick up much of the complexity of this red patchouli as I had once wet.

I have allergy issues with some of the patchouli blends, which causes them to break my heart (Implacable Beautiful Tyrant, I'm looking at you!), but I took a chance and ordered a bottle of this. It came a few days ago, and I've been letting it sit to settle a bit before trying.

In the bottle: I'm so glad I bought a bottle of this. It's nothing like I expected. Instead of "patchouli" I get wet, rich wood. It's almost like being in a forest right after the rain - it's a fresh, woodsy scent, rich and thick. I could easily just sniff the bottle all day.

Applied: I used a clean toothpick. I rolled the bottle (force of habit), dipped my toothpick in and applied to my left wrist - and was again surprised. The oil is dark, rich, and *thick*; one dip was more than enough oil to apply to both wrists and my neck. On the skin, I still get that same woodsy smell I'm loving. It's a relaxing scent.

Dry down: 15-minutes later, I'm standing in my local Starbucks, and am starting to notice something that smells vaguely of rose-scented soap. After I get back to my car, I realize that it's me :eek: The patchouli is starting to morph, but the woodsy scent is still fighting for dominance. It will be interesting to see how this lasts throughout the day, and whether or not the woodsy can prevail. If it does, I may need to get a second bottle quick before it comes down.

I was going to review this, but then I read sunshinedaisybliss' epic. All I can say is this patchouli is to other patchoulis what sdb is to reviews. This is the Harrods of hippy shop smells, the perfect, wonderful, high-end patchouli of your dreams.

Did I mention that I could smell it through a sealed bottle? :eek:

I don't think I will wear it very often because I don;t know if I have the confidence to, but I am really really glad that I bought this.

I found that this one isn't straight patchouli on me. It's equal parts patchouli and red rose with a touch of cinnamon. I didn't see anyone else mention the rose or cinnamon but it's very apparent on me. I DO amp rose enormously and cinnamon a bit less so, so that may be it. These are accords after all so they are all a mix despite being a "single note"

Having said that, I love this. The rose doesn't override the patchouli and helps bring a floral nose and point up the spicyness of the cinnamon. This one works really well on me, more than plain old patch does (which tends to take on an unwashed socks note on me after awhile).

Love it!

OK.. I just have to quote this from Beth's prose:

Dude, I am enlightened. I AM SO FREAKING ENLIGHTENED THAT I AM A GLOWING ORB OF BLINDING LIGHT.

This is the patchouli to end all patchoulis the one patchouli to rule them all. It's the kind of patchouli that makes dogs fart on command, startles old ladies, and makes babies cry. The kind of patchouli that even the stinkiest hippie would say is a bit too strong, then hang their head in shame and go home to have a good bath and a nice cup of tea. It's the kind of patchouli that if you put more than a drop or two on your skin, follows you around for hours and hours and leaves little remnants of itself in every atom of the air that surrounds you. This is not a patchouli for mild-mannered young ladies who are afraid of being noticed - this is a patchouli that enters the room before you do and says SMELL MY MAGNIFICENCE, MOTHAFUCKAS. Just like that, all in capitals, because Sumatran Red Patchouli doesn't give a shit if it offends people.

As soon as I took the lid off my bottle, I knew I was in for a treat as I felt the warm wafting gnarliness of hot feral patchouli hit my nostrils. Resisting the urge to just tip the bottle upside down on top of my head and let this liquid perfection drizzle down all over me, I gently dabbed a little bit on to my wrist, leaned in for a good sniff, and then had a moment of total bliss as this wondrous scent enveloped me completely. Wearing this is like getting a hug from a grizzly bear it's warm, it's snuggly and cuddly, but it's also slightly terrifying.

I love that this patchouli is so warm and earthy and feral, but there's also a delicate smoky sweetness playing around in there. I don't mind a dirty patchouli, but this isn't really that fully dirty kind.. it's definitely more on the earthy/leathery end of the patchouli spectrum rather than the hempy/dirty side. For such a gnarly patch, it's actually very clean if this were a liqueur, it would be right up on the top shelf... this is the good stuff, the real deal. Completely beautiful on its own, but a fantastic base for layering so far I've tried it with Araña (amazing, glowing, gorgeous) and Gelt (unff, wanted to eat myself), and Spanked (don't try that one unless you want to be ravaged)... but the experiments will be never ending because this really is *the* perfect mixer.

So yeah, I love this Sumatran Red Patchouli which, incidentally, actually smells just like my memories of walking around in Sumatra and Indonesia through the haze of incense that's always burning everywhere but I suspect I should have bought more bottles. I am definitely wearing this the next time I travel back in time to 1969.

You can't really add anything on this topic other than.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

Strong, clean dirty, patchouli.

I'm don't mind patchouli, but I don't wear it out in public, as the scent really isn't 'me'. I have Tricksy and use it for bedtime sometimes. I love Mme Moriarty and Banshee Beat, so I guess I like patch better blended with something. This one is a little more gritty than I"m used to, it smells unripe somehow. This is a really down-to-earth blend, and I quite like it. I do think it will get better with time. I may hurry up and try to get a bottle...

The only patchouli scents I've tried before this were Banshee Beat and Occupy. As tends to be the case, I love the former and not so much the latter. BUT I had to get this sumatran red flavor just to try! I'm so glad I did! Its a beautiful, calming, earthy patchouli. Its not really like either of the two others I"ve tried before - I suppose because it hasn't aged yet it doesn't have the sweet richness of Banshee Beat but it also feels much more grounded than Occupy.

Its almost leathery actually - slightly dry and dusty. Its not the chunky, radiating-off-your-unwashed-crusty-friend type patchouli. Its more like the sort you might expect get off the skin of a really hot Nomadic spice trader... or something like that.

I find it extremely relaxing, in fact I put it on before bed sometimes -- but that may be because I have other associations with the smell of patchouli (not just hot nomadic spice traders I promise).

So i have two bottles already that JUST arrived last week and they smell a little sharp but I tested a decant of this patchouli from weeks ago when it first landed and in the imp it was already much deeper and more smooth, so I anticipate these aging into bombshell type winners!

As its a single note, I've been having so much fun mixing it with other scents I have - I've had the best luck with Rose red and also playful wooden mallets.

I am constantly trying to like, be an old-timey alchemist and mix up Banshee Beat gold from random notes (ONE DAY I WILL DISCOVER THE FORMULA) but mixing this with the Bourbon Vanilla SN did not exactly do the trick hahaha. Soon.....

ANYWAY this comes down in a few days, I would say take the plunge and get it! I don't see how this one could let you down, unless you already dislike patchouli in which case theres no helping you!

:D

Edited by seussala

I am not a fan of patchouli, so I'm not going to give my review of this, but I thought I should share my boyfriend's thoughts on it. I bought a bottle for him because some of his favorite scents contain patchouli.

In the bottle: Chocolate and patchouli.

Wet: Intense earthy patchouli.

Dry: Fresh turned earth.

I thought he would love this, but alas, 'tis not so! I guess he only likes patchouli when it is blended well with other notes. He put some Scherezade over it, and liked it better that way, but he's not overly fond of the single note itself.

Hooray this is a light woodsy true patchouli on my skin, none of that metallic nastiness. Very wearable. :smilenod:

Um. I sure get a lot of rose out of this patchouli.

The patch scent itself is divine. Very very woody, almost cedar, nicely sweet. But where is the rose association coming from? I swear I get very sharp red roses too. This blend smells exactly like a patchouli rose I used to wear as a teenager.

Weird.

Tzi

Hey there, Sumatran Red Patchouli! Come on over here and stay with MEEEEEEE. Forever. And Ever. And E-VER...!

Ya know, this does seem a bit rosey! Hey, I'll take rose over menthol, like some patchoulis throw. This Sumatran Red is smooooo-ooth, warm, velvety, deep, and rich. It's woody, neither dry nor dank, but still earthy. The drydown is a-mazing: like dark cocoa incense. OMG. I die.

Agreed, THIS is the one patchouli to rule them all! THIS. Coming from a life long patchouli wearer. THIS!!!!! I gave up straight patchouli oil years ago in favor of BPAL blends (Snake Oil, Depraved, Dance of Death, Mme Moriarty-all my companions), but I will do this single note. Oh, yeah, baby! I will DO it!

Edited by lookingglass

Wet: I got just the smallest testable bit of this in a swap box, and it's thick as syrup and really in your face. It's spicy, bracing and gloriously dirty, as well as surprisingly calming. I have never used patchouli in aromatherapy and this may have to change, seeing as how relaxing this blend is.

Drying: Dusty, warm and surprisingly dry. This is not fresh turned dirty patchouli, but rather the smell of warm desert loam.

Dry: Ooh, I hate having just the smallest bit of this because it is stunning. Fortunately, the tiny drop I used for testing is throwing like whoa, the way patch does with me.

it was helpful to try on both the east african and sumatran red patchoulis simultaneously, so i could compare and contrast their scents. they both are obviously patchouli, but sumatran is a sweet, woody patchouli- a cuddlier and friendly patchouli! it is earthy, but not dirty and it is sweeter and more mellow than some of its counterparts, and has a touch of spice. it's a very wearable patchouli and smells amazing and complex all on its own, but could also be gorgeous layered with a vanilla blend, i think.

What a happy, beautiful scent.

I'm a long-time patch lover but having it all on its own like this is really a wonder. Sometimes notes don't have "legs" without anything else to support them, so to speak...

But SRP can definitely sashay wherever it wants to.

I've honestly never gotten the "hippie" or "dirty" association with patch. Maybe I just grew up in the wrong time period? To me it's always just been lovely, rich woodiness.

Here it's no different but somehow more vibrant.

Almost to a "t" this smells like sun-warmed driftwood nestled in hot sand on a picturesque beach. Absolutely love it and everything it evokes.

Edited by Balame

I love Banshee Beat and Silkybat so I'm always curious about patchoulis but they do not always work. I love that foody rich pathouli that almost reminds of chocolate.

This is the middle of the road patchouli though not to dirty and not to light. It's just right as Goldilocks would say. But it's not foodie or rich at all. Just very simple. Not saying that is a bad thing but it didn't blow my mind. I know it's a single note and maybe that's why it seems so simple to me. I must need my patchouli mixed with lovely foodie notes. Or something to sweeten it up. Glad I got to try this one though it helped enlighten my patchouli knowledge.

Edited by vanilla323