Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Somnus

Named after the Roman God of Sleep. This blend helps bring on deep, restful, natural sleep.

At first whiff I thought this was the worst smelling bpal ever. Smelled like my cat's litter box! Reluctantly I wet ahead and put on a tiny bit. Upon drydown I was surprised that the lavender was there! The cat box had gone away! Once I get through that initial 5-10 minutes of "ewwww" it smells good! Very comforting.

Lavender for sure. I can't really pick out much else! Maybe thyme?

I did use it last night as a sleep aid, which worked wonderfully. Softens nicely and smells a bit like fruity pebbles. How weird is that?!

If you like rose and jasmine, this blend is for you. If rose and jasmine turn to baby powder and cat pee on you, this blend is not for you. Sadly, I am of the latter group and thus, Somnus is not for me.

I received this as a frimp from the Lab:

In bottle: Very strong floral....soapy and sharp smelling

Wet on skin: Smells like old lady flowery soap.

Dry on skin: Dove soap. That's what it smells like. Very sharp and it hasn't mellowed at all.

Verdict: I slept the same as usual except every time I woke up (I wake frequently most nights) I realized that I really didn't like the smell of this. Definitely not for me.

Jasmine and lavender. It smelled ok, and half an hour after I put two drops under my nose, I was yawning, then staggering off to bed. I slept for seven hours, with no tossing and turning and awoke feeling great. The smell was gone in the morning. This is the first night post flu, that I was able to sleep without Nyquil D.

I've had trouble falling asleep for about two years and, while Somnus doesn't knock me out, it helps me calm down much quicker than usual and has me skirting the edges of sleep. Even though I'm still awake, I nevertheless feel more rested just lying there, inhaling the scent and listening to my breathing slow to sleep levels. If I put Somnus on before I've gotten ready for bed, it swiftly has me yawning and feeling drowsy.

The scent of Somnus on me is strongly lavender with just a hint of jasmine. It's not something I'd wear except for sleep purposes, but I don't mind the smell. I find it a nicer, calmer, and cooler scent than Baku, the other sleep oil I tried. Hard to tell how long Somnus lasts as I've only been using it at night, but there's little trace of it when I wake up in the morning.

Edit: My mom, who also has sleep problems, found Somnus too strong for her tastes and reported it gave her a headache.

Edited by pteron

I adore lavender and herby clean scents so I was very excited to try this one!! On me it's very clean, soft and lavender!! Very relaxing and cool. It makes me feel calm and almost soothes any worry away that I have.

I wore this during the day - and it was pretty and refreshing. can't wait to try it at night and see how I sleep.

A gorgeous swtt herby lavender scent :heart:

Jasmine jasmine jasmine. Apparently I amp jasmine! Who knew?

(Maybe there's lavender in the drydown, but I didn't wait. It would probably have been unsuccessful anyway, as lavender hasn't shown up strongly on me in any of the lavender blends I've tried.)

Didn't like this one too well. It has a very strong jasmine scent and jasmine just ain't my thang. I didn't get any lavender in the bottle or on my skin, unfortunately.

In the vial, of course it's lavender heavy. But I'm also picking up juniper(?) and maybe sandalwood or something a little woody. Color, lilac.

Wet on my skin, it's a little greener than I care for. Kinda makes me want to sneeze, actually.

10-15 minute drydown - I'm thinking there might be some lilac in here as well. I'm smelling something very similar to Needlework that I didn't care for. I like lilac, but only in certain blends.

30 minute drydown - I don't think I care for the scent of this one. Unfortunately, I don't get any of the jasmine anyone talks about, because I love jasmine.

Lavender, chamomile and cooling mint. The lavender in Somnus is softer and sweeter than any other Somnium blends. This is the blend that I associate with TKO. The other blends seem more astringent, herbal, and medicinal. With that being said, I love lavender. In any shape or form, and whatever it is blended with seems to only enhance it. I adore the Somnium category. :wub2:

The smell of Somnus is the smell of lavender absolute - plain old 100% lavender oil. Jasmine? No.

Lemon? Uh-uh. Rose? You've got to be joking. I have a little bottle of lavender absolute that I got from a local lavender farm.

That oil and Somnus are identical. It didn't seem to help me sleep, but I woke up the next day with a stuffy nose and a headache.

I won't be buying this again, but I may try another Somnium blend.

Lavender and jasmine. I appreciate the effects of each essential oil in their individual forms, but not together and not on my skin. I would like to test this on a spot on my pillow to test the effectiveness on my wicked insomnia.

I definitely get a lot of lavender on this one. It is a lot brighter/sharper than I thought it would be, but it was not unpleasant. I slept very well last night.

In all fairness, that could have been the NyQuil. :lol: I will definitely try it again.

Overall, I liked it.

Ugh, all I got in this scent is jasmine, which smells horrible and disgusting.

On the other hand, I wasn't wearing this to smell nice, I was wearing it to sleep easier. And... I think it worked! I dabbed a little under my nose on a red-eye flight, and zoned off into deep sleep almost right away. And I do mean deep sleep: I never half-woke because of cramps or feeling cold or a crick in my neck until four hours later.

In conclusion: smells gross, but it does the job if I try not to think about it too much. I'll use it on occasion until I get something that doesn't smell like jasmine.

There is something very bitter and off-putting here, along with an 'old lady' smell. This is bringing on a massive headache and I wouldn't dare try and sleep with it on.

Ugh, daylight savings is killing me so I decided it was time to bust this imp out for a testdrive.

In the imp, this is a sharp lavender scent. Not surprising-most sleep blends have some lavender in them. Not getting in jasmine, like other reviewers have. Just sharp, almost crytalline lavender.

Yep, a sharp lavender scent. Not unpleasant, but not something I would wear as perfume, which is fine because this blend is not meant to be perfume. We shall see how it helps me sleep, so the rest of this review will be put up in the morning...to be continued!

Ok, overall this was a pretty good sleep blend. I had a restful night's sleep and no weird/uncomfortable dreams like when I used Temple of Dreams. May see if I can find a partial bottle of this.

In the vial: Definitely lavender, and I'd also put money on chamomile being included. This does smell very calming.

On: This reminds me of a friend's bedroom - she uses lavender sachets in all of her cabinets and closets. I'm usually not a lavender girl, but this, I can totally see using as an aromatherapy blend, not a perfume. It's incredibly calming. Sniffing it, I can feel my muscles losing their tension (and I didn't even know they were tensed!). Once it's dry... uhhh... Rose?

Later: Damn. You. Rose. *sigh* I'll keep the imp. I can put it on my pillow, maybe that'll keep the rose of doom from showing up...

Origin: half-bottle obtained in a swap

Initial Thoughts: I got this early on, before I was fully aware of the Panacea & TKO.

In the bottle: Very definite lavender, with extra herby.

Wet: Gentle lavender. This doesn't have the bowl-you-over effect of TKO's lavender.

Drydown: It stays very soft for me, adding some more floral. If there is rose in here, it's behaving itself miraculously and not going stinky on me.

Verdict: It's pretty enough for me to wear as a perfume. We'll see how I sleep tonight after dabbing it on my temples and throat.

Prologue: I purchased an imp of this from the lab. I wanted something that would help me sleep during the week, if I needed it.

Intro: In the imp, the lavender is definitely the most prominent note. Perfect.

Exposition: I decided to try this on a Friday night, because I had to be up pretty early the next morning for a meeting. BF was still playing video games in the room, and was talking pretty loudly, so I wanted something that was going to knock me out. I wasn't sure where I would apply it, so I actually applied the tiniest dab right under my nose. I doubt this is the best place to apply Somnus, but I was a little desperate. The lavender is still the most prominent note, but there is a soft herb scent to the oil as well. Seemed a dash sweeter than just plain ol lavender, too. Unfortunately, I could barely fall asleep that night, and didn't even stay asleep. I'm immune to Somnus! :cry2:

Epilogue: I was looking forward to this scent the most when I ordered my pack of imps, because I have been having trouble sleeping lately. When I used it the first time and it didn't work, I was so disappointed. I ended up using it again on a different night, and did not notice any difference in feeling rested or staying asleep. I really wish it would have worked on me! Though, to be honest, I wouldn't mind falling asleep to the scent of this every night if I could. It is a mind-clearing, relaxing scent.

I get lavender and honeysuckle out of this. It is relaxing, more so than simply smelling something pleasant is for me, but in the amounts I use (I'm a dabber, not a slatherer), it's not strong enough to wind down my keyed up night owl ADHD brain on its own. I do like the smell, and it's definitely more relaxing than the other lavender blends I've tried to use as amateur aromatherapy, but the effect isn't very strong.

I had this imp for a long time. I am an insomniac by nature and like to be (haha, it helps when I want to write in the wee hours of the morning), but yesterday I was anxious, headachey and in a bad mood and wanted nothing more than to just get to sleep. Took a painkiller and reached for this.

I got very strong lavender first, not a fan. Started to smell like my mum's incense sticks at the prayer altar. They're nice, but on my skin...not so much. Within minutes, I could smell jasmine. Oh no. Jasmine gives me a migraine. The scent was so strong that my brother was keeping his nose under his shirt the whole time. *lol* I wanted to wash it off so badly. Then I fell asleep.

I think I slept at least 10 hours. My painkiller is non-drowsy, so I'm not sure if it was my own fatigue that caused me to be knocked out or Somnus. It's a very rare thing for me to drift off at 11pm. Gotta try this one again on a day where I'm calm.

Edited by symphonyinsilence

This scent doesn't make me sleepy at all! in fact it wakes me up!

I must say the drydown is much better than the inital wet stage.

Edited by Cattastroficka