Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

All the depth, beauty and darkness of All Hallows Eve. Truly, the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein.

I don't recall really liking Samhain when I first got my bottle, which was at least 2 years ago. I stuck it away somewhere and didn't see it for a long long time.

Now it's a whole 'nother creature! Wet I smell sweet leather, which I'm guessing is the damp woods and patchouli. On I get strong fir needle, which I'm not crazy about, but it is only offensive up close. With a little distance I am LOVING that 'leather' scent combined with the traditional autumnal notes of pumpkin and apple and soft spices.

Yay for aging!

Samhain '07 was one of my earliest BPAL loves, and is still on my top ten list. It's one of Beth's most amazing "story" fragrances, scents that actually tell a story or set a scene as they unfold. (How do she do that?) Samhain's "story" is that of standing in the doorway on a cold October night. Behind you is the scent of cold air, wind, fallen leaves, a little smoke, a little evergreen. Before you are the scents of coziness--apples, spices, pumpkin pie, warmth. A perfect evocation of the night when the wall between this world and the next is at its thinnest. And with this expectation, the '09 is slathered on.

In the imp: Patchouli like whoa.

Wet: Patchouli fading to evergreen, then clove and nutmeg.

Dry: Still patchouli and spices. Not at all the perfection that the '07 was, but perhaps it's because the '07 was acquired in mid-'08 and had had time to age a little.

Verdict: I'll stick to the '07.

Samhain '09

So much of what I have is floral (because that is what I like) that I thought I would stretch out this year and get some seasonal scents. I picked out Pomona and Samhain '09 from this year's Halloweenies since they looked like they would work best with me and also seemed like they "smelled like autumn". Pomona I adored (see review). Samhain...well...

In the bottle: Me likey. Nice blend of woodsy scent. I'm getting the fir and spices especially. And patchouli.

Wet: The woods are screaming! Or maybe the patchouli! No, it's my nose!

Drydown: Dang, but that patchouli is STRONG. Everything else bows down before it. orz

More dry: Okay, that bad boy settled down some and let the others come out to play. Getting some fir now. And a bit of the spices--my nose isn't sophisticated enough to pick out which ones, but they are on the floor playing in the background while Fir and Black Patchouli sit at the kitchen table and talk.

Yet more dry: A bit of sweetness is coming out now. Nice. I like sweet.

Well, that was an adventure in fragrance!

Verdict: Samhain '09 really does smell like autumn. But I think I'll let the oil age a while to see if it softens the scent some, as other reviewers have claimed. As it is now, the patchouli is way too strong and I don't care much for patchouli.

This is from a bottle of 08 . I get mainly apple & potpourri :eek: Not what I really want from a scent that is supposed to evoke Samhain . I have had this since I got it a year ago & sadly it's never gotten any darker then my description . I get no patchouli ( wish I did , it might knock down the sweetness a bit ) . It would probably make a nice room scent for fall / winter , but just isn't making it for me as far as a body scent goes .

Samhain '06

I really love this one! Received it as an imp and I'm now dying to get my hands on a full bottle. I don't even mind if it's from this year. I'm usually not a foody fragrance lover, but this is a perfect balance of various notes. On me, it evokes the scents of apple cider, patchouli, clove and wood. It has a slightly smokey quality to it.

I bought a bottle of this year's edition on a whim- and it was worth it.

In bottle: So nice. I'm getting a lot of the more incensey notes, maybe a bit of fruit of some sort.

Wet: Oh yes. There's apple in there, and a few other fruity/spicy things that make me think of autumn. Haven't been knocked over by patchouli yet, which is nice.

Dry: There's the patchouli. But it isn't obnoxious, and seems to work with me, despite what I was expecting.

Verdict: This was worth it. And I'm going to very much enjoy this scent.

2004 Version

In bottle: I think that’s mostly mullein, patchouli and the woods smells on top. The rest is very understated. This is really too strongly patchouli for me. Wet: It smells less of rot on the skin, and the spices are more noticeable. The whole thing lightens a little, which is all to the good and the apple becomes more prominent. Dry: It really is pleasant in the dry down. The patchouli and rot back so far down that the warm apple and spice blend really works out.

Samhain 2008

In the imp, it smells vaguely sharp, with no specific notes I can detect. On my skin, it's luscious roast apple - not a crisp, green apple scent but a red, baked apple, fresh out of the oven, slightly sweet without being cloying. After a few hours, the scent gets spicier and woodier, the apple steps back a bit but remains the focal point. Good throw and staying power. I'm not sure I'd wear it as a perfume often, but it's a wonderful comfort scent for staying at home and snuggling up on the couch while rain and sleet are beating down the windows. Makes me feel warm and happy (and hungry for roast apple).

So far as I can tell, Samhain is what I've been craving since the weather went cold up here. In the bottle, it smells almost alcoholic- the apple, I think. And there's a background of woodsy spiciness.

On wet, it smells the same, which is awesome. The opening stages of the dry down push vetiver to the fore, making it slightly unpleasant, but in less than half an hour the apple is peeking out again, blending with the patchouli and spices into an amazing slightly-cidery mixture.

After sleeping on it for four hours, it reminds me of baked apples or apple pie- a bit of a winy note, very warm and comforting.

In my top ten, for sure!

This is weird. I'm not getting leaves or any of the other things people say. There is a bit of apple in the background, but overall it is a sweet, almost floral perfume.

The same thing happens with Joulumuori and Shivering Boy from the Yules. The 3 don't have listed notes in common, so I'm not sure what is having this reaction with my chemistry.

Samhain '09 is my favorite EVER! Being new to BPAL, but an avid forum reader, I had read about previous editions of Samhain and knew I had to try this year' version. I can't name a single note, except patchouli, but I love the spicy woodiness of the scent. The first time I wore it to work someone said it reminded them of an ashram they stayed at in India. I find the autumn association very cozy too. I think I've ordered three bottles already! :wub2:

Ooh a lovely winter scent. Warm and inviting. Unfortunately patchouli never does well on my skin and it screams when I first put it on, but then it fades to the background and I smell divine.

I smell like spicy apple pie. MMMMmmmm.

(5 min later I have hints of something aquatic!)

Edited by Lilly

In the bottle: Patchouli and smoke?

Wet: Smoke and apples? But it smells like the apples have been left in coals and are smouldering. Weird.

Dry: Earth and apples.

A while later: Apples and a tinge of smoke. Earth. A spicey honeyed warmth. Very nice.

Samhain '09

On the skin: Leather? I don't remember there being leather in Samhain!! Wow, on my skin this is a manly yet smooth leather with a bit of evergreen. And maybe some apples...

I still have no idea why I smell leather in this, but it would definitely be excellent on the right man. I think I need to try and track down a bottle for the SO!

I believe this is the 07 version

in the bottle: it smells like a smokey candle mixed with febreeze and alcohol. :S

wet on skin: wow, uh this smells very febreezy. Almost burns my nose a little. It smells VERY floral-y.

dry on skin: a bit of the apple is starting to come out. smells like strong, febreeze still.... I'll have to wait and see how it smells hours after application.

2009 version

Pale pink oil! The only other oil I've seen this colour was Egg'd Mailbox. Very complex and indeed autumnal. Crisp-sweet apple and lighter pumpkin hit first, then the spices, then the woods and earthy notes. A lot going on, but in a synergistic way.

Much more woods and patchouli and spice on my skin; the apple is immediately much fainter which reveals more of the pumpkin, that is now a little buttery. Patchouli, very earthy but not quite dirty or rooty, lots and lots of fir and other woods and a walloping dose of dark, smoky vetiver (this also give a touch of soapy cologne, paradoxically). Actually spicy now, real heat, without any one spice dominating.

Not much morping at all! Patchouli and vetiver and woods dominate with the spices just behind, but I do get a little of the mullein now and the pumpkin is holding, adding a rich buttery warmth but not much sweetness - this is only very delicately and softly sweet, and I would definitely consider this a masculine scent. Strong throw & longevity.

Earthier, darker, more masculine than earlier blends I've tried.

Samhain 2007:

Smooth, spicy apple and smoky leather. It reminds me a lot of Arcana's Guy Fawkes (which is my annual scrub hoarding purchase). This has aged very nicely. Yum.

Samhain 2009:

Apple and woodsy, a bit more potpourri than its aged cousin. After a few hours, they smell similar, though 2009 isn't as tenacious.

Edited by ralenth

I was lucky enough to get my hands on two versions of Samhaim: 2005 and 2009. This oil, dear readers, ages beautifully.

2009: Starts out sweet, all apple and pumpkin with a bit of spice. Dry, however, it's all spice and woods. The fir gives it a little bite. Stays like this for hours.

2005: This one begins with spice, mostly clove, but turns sweet and mellow on the drydown. The patchouli and pumpkin really come out, and I don't get any apple.

Verdict: I like them both for different reasons!

samhain 2007

in the imp: apples, cinnamon, a little bit of wood, something that's both leathery and grainy at the same time

wet: apple, cinnamon, wood, and oatmeal

dry: sweet cinnamon and pumpkin spice, with a splash of apple. it's deepened by a hint of smoke.

at first it reminds me of sweet cinnamon pumpkin but then the apple comes back to the front. this is very very nice. completely wrong in feel for the day, but it's very comforting at the same time.

samhain 2010

in the bottle: apples over something murky.

wet: wow, incense and dirt. there's nothing fruity about this at all. this is as about as dark and murky as my collection gets. this is totally not what i was expecting, but i like it- think dracul or similar, but not as incensy.

dry: this is really morphing as it dries. it stays very dark on my skin but the apple note comes forward a LOT more, so the entire blend gets a lot sweeter. it's like eating apple pie in the dark, but not nearly as spicy. throw seems to be minimal because i slathered this on accident, and my normally scent sensitive boyfriend hasn't commented at all. it'll be interesting to see what happens when this blend calms down a little more (it came in the mail yesterday) and ages a bit.

Edited by starfish327

This scent perfectly sums up Halloween and autumn in general for me. The only thing this is missing (to me) is the scent of smoke or some representation of fire, as this is the scent of people out in the woods having hot apple cider. Totally delicious.

I recently received a decant of Samhain '05 from a kind soul.

Imp: OMG this is so spicy and sweet.

Wet: Really sweet with a hint of smoky spiceness.

Dry: The allspice and pumpkin really come out on me here, with a backdrop of the apple and patchuli.

Overall I really like this. A great scent to break out on those first cooling days.

Funny how all I get from this is the "gentlest touches" but I am not complaining at all. It is wonderful. It is one of my friend's favorites but when I first got the imp, I didn't like it. maybe in the imp it was more fir needles and sweetness which isn't really a great combo. But I had to put it on and give it a swing. That's when all the apple, allspice, clove and nutmeg come out. This is a scent that will transport you to fall. You'll be walking through the fall festival, dried leaves crunching under your feet. The sky is cloudy. The weather is cool. This scent has made my day.

OH MY GOD :thud:

I had no idea I was going to like this scent, and certainly not nearly this much. It's patchouli and leather and spices and a autumn leaves with spiced apple cider. I couldn't imagine a scent that more perfectly captures autumn, and it's really, really yummy. :wub2:

2008 version.

ETA: My only complaint is that once dry on skin, it smells a little tiny bit potpurri-ish. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a perfume so I may have to retest, but I really do love that leather and patchouli notes...and it is a perfect capture of autumn in a scent...

Edited by talula_fairie

This is a review for Samhain 2010. When I received the bottle last autumn, I didn't care for Samhain at all. It smelled like burning plastic out of bottle and gave me a headache when I tried it on my skin. I decided to let to age for a year and see if I liked it better as time went on.

Well, it's been a year and I have to say Samhain smells lovely.

Wet on skin: very strong patchouli, vanilla, cinnamon, incense, and apples. A tad bit of crunchy, crisp leaves in there too.

Dry-down: Pretty much the same as wet, except slightly more muted with a decent throw. Very beautiful and wearable. I'm channeling autumn by wearing Samhain. :D

8 hours later: I can still smell Samhain, it's much lighter than at first, but still quite lovely. Glad I kept my bottle! It was worth the year of waiting. :)

Yay, my first review! Sad that it has to be this one though.

So, this is my first Halloween scent from BPAL, and sadly, it didn't work out for me at all!

In the bottle: Patchouli. Pure, undiluted patchouli.

Wet: My skin took the already strong patchouli scent that was in the bottle, and dialed it up to a 10. Bleh!

Dry-down: Muted patchouli, with the occasional almost non-existent whiff of apple.

Dry: No more apple, just patchouli.

Sadly, my nose seems to find the scent of patchouli highly offensive, and goes into convulsions whenever I get a whiff of it. So, Samhain 2010 is not for me. Oh well, I have a friend who likes it, and so I gave it to her.