Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Numanoid

Mr. Prenderghast

Sweet cigar smoke, brown wool, Old Furry Touk accord, and a little bit of coffee.

Wow...first to review. Ok...do my best!!

Wet: All I smell is sweet tobacco...not too strong, but that is all I get at the moment.

On Skin: Still sweet pipe tobacco, but a little sharp at the same time. I don't get any coffee out of this. I do get a sense of wool.

Dry down: Mellows nicely, but stays true to the above. I think this would be nice on a guy...not me.

Wow.

In the imp this smells of sweet and sour pickled paprika. :eek:

On my skin wet: Very strong and heady from the start. I'm not getting tobacco but a rather alcoholic heavy autumn scent like fermented fruit with brown wool. Drunk hobo in autumn wrapped in wool?

On my skin dry: Still heady. It's going a bit powdery and I'm getting the same elderberry note that XCDL13 has. It has turned into a deep, rather feminine scent.

I don't get cigar smoke out of this maybe I'm just not recognizing it. :huh?: Mr. Prenderghast is a nice autumn-y scent it sings on my skin but it's a bit too strong for me.

I got the same sweet/sour pickled vinegary scent Monday got in the imp. :ack: On my skin, it's still the same for a couple seconds but it soon begins to take shape, I start to get a musky and powdery scent and ah, now I get something transforming into... light coffee and chocolate? I also start to get what could be the wool, I was hoping this would be similar to the wool note in Ichabod Crane because I love it, but this one smells different to me, probably because it's 'brown' and not black wool. I'm not sure what that Old Furry Touk accord would smell like... It's actually not too bad now, like an old worn wool sweater with old coffee (I'm still getting hints of chocolate) stains and I get whiffs of stale sweet smokey cigar lingering in the air. I still get somewhat of a sour scent in the background though, hmm...it's kind of like ketchup?

After much morphing, it finally settles into a blend of dusty musky staleness (which is probably the wool), very light coffee (I still get the hints of chocolate), and faint sweet cigar smoke, along with that ketchup smell.

This took me on quite a ride, lol. It's definitely an unusual scent.

Ummm.... ketchup? I swear to god this smells like ketchup on wet. As it dries, the ketchup disappears and I get a sweet tobacco smell (sort of like the tobacco from Pinched), and hints of wool.

Really, this does smell like sweet tobacco. Not sure I want to "smell" like tobacco (its a tad too realistic for me). But wow, what a scent experience!

Wet: This smells like sweet pickles, sour pickle juice, and pepper juice.

Dry: Pepper juice and tonka with bits of coffee. This is definitely a scent experience. Just a nauseating one. :sick:

1. Pickles.

2. Tomato sauce.

3. Coffee.

4. Vinegar.

5. Tobacco.

See those five things? They are not things I want to smell like. Maybe if I were trying to attract the Hamburglar - he might fancy a gal who likes to smell of pickles and tomato sauce.. but I'm not that gal. If I want to smell like this, I can go eat a huge jar of pickled tomatoes then pour coffee over myself and roll around in an ashtray.

Even though the initial PICKLE blast does die down, and the whole thing eventually becomes quite pleasant (fully dry, I get a dusky musk and some fuzzy coffee with a touch of clove-like sweetness.. and surprisingly this does remind me a little of Pinched With Four Aces as ZZ mentioned) but I can't be dealing with the whole pickle business at the start there. Ick.

In the bottle: YIKES, bitter and pungent pickled-things sort of scent.

Wet on wrist: Blast of...vinegar?

On the drydown: It softens to a coffee-and-tobacco type scent with a little woodiness to it. So the wet impression definitely didn't stick around, thank goodness!

You'll like this if you like: Herr Drosselmeyer

I feel terrible for those of you who are getting pickles and whatnot, because this is amazing on me! It's sweet and tobacco-y, but it doesn't amp crazily on me the way BPAL's usual tobacco note does. It stays well in control.

That old furry touk, I suspect, is made of the furry brown musk that I love so much in Tanuki no Senkimochi, because to me, this scent smells like Senkimochi minus anise, plus pipe smoke and coffee. Comforting, warm, happymaking, and all-around GLORIOUS. :wub2:

Pickled jalapenos.

Then cherry cough syrup.

Haven't gone beyond that stage yet, I am too afraid of what will happen.

Updates when I manage to take that plunge.

Monday hit it on the head with drunk hobo wrapped in wool :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All of the ParaNorman scents seem to have a funky note in them and then either a too powdery or too soapy drydown for my tastes. Mr. Prenderghast has the pickled, sour, vinegar-y smell that others have mentioned, though it does settle down quickly for me into kind of a sweet, warm, slightly smoky tobacco, hints of burnt coffee, and powder. But the tobacco is a bit too sweet and I don't care for whatever is turning baby powder-y on me.

I think this is the first time I was almost too terrified to test a scent. In the imp it was pickles and Tabasco :sick: But I finally decided to be "brave" and give it a try ...

Well. This actually isn't too bad! The scent I got in the imp stays for maybe a second before it starts to warm up and mellow out. Definitely getting the sweet tobacco, though its still got bite to it, and something semi-spicy and cozy that I imagine is the wool. I don't get any coffee, which is disappointing, but overall this is definitely better than I thought it was going to be based on the imp sniff test.

Unfortunately there is still that slightly vinegary smell lingering way in the back and while it may be harder to detect the longer it dries, its keeping me from really enjoying this scent.

In the end Mr. Prenderghast isn't a terrible scent, but not one I will be keeping. Glad I finally tried it though! :lol:

Very sweet pipe tobacco with something odd. I'm assuming this is the touque accord (I must spell this correctly!!) After a bit, the oddness disappears, and it's all sweet pipe tobacco, and there is a substantial clove vibe about this as well. It is really reminding me of Velvet Bandito, though a bit sweeter. I really like this, but it is too similar to VB for me to justify any more. This is quite aged, and I'm not sure why this one isn't getting more love, it is quite sultry, warm and kind of sexy. I get no pickle vibe, but this is quite an aged imp. I've never tried Pinched, but I'd like to imagine this is what it smells like. If there was a bit of leather here, it would be to die for. :wub2:

Got an imp from spiralmissy's ParaNorman decant circle!

In the imp: Yeah, smelling that vinegar that others smelled. It's overshadowing the sweet tobacco and warm, fuzzy musk that are in here.

Wet: Blast of vinegar which morphs into wood varnish which morphs into... wood? Nothing rich or healthy, though, it smells like dried out, rotting logs of wood left on a forest floor for months. Bizarrely, I don't think it smells that bad. It reminds me of camping trips I've been on.

Drydown: The weird wood note morphs into sweet cigar smoke with a very slight nauseating edge. A vague brown musk emerges as well.

Dry: The cigar smoke becomes nicer, there's another sweet element in here that I can't place, and the musk is acting as a nice grounding agent. There's a nostalgic factor to it now, but I can't specifically pinpoint anything this reminds me of.

So this was a weird one. It's ok overall and the best stage is the dry, but I don't think I like it that much. Bit disappointed, I thought I'd like this a lot because I love tobacco but this is very different. Tobacco yea, smoke nay? I'll keep the imp around for now. Maybe it will get better with age.

You had me at 'old furry touk accord' :lol:

Yes, yes so he does smell like pickles at first... I have a feeling that pickle smell is some kind of musk, because a few other musky blends I love have been known to smell of pickles (Ivanushka)

On the skin this quickly becomes an amazing warm comfy scent. I don't get anything funky (I dont even get coffee) -- it's just a lovely sweet musky tobacco.

I'm surprised to see so many people having negative experiences with this blend as it was an instant buy for me after trying my decant.

Drunk hobo in autumn wrapped in wool, sort of nails my initial impressions of Mr. Prenderghast.

It's strange, because on paper, the individual ingredients sound intriguing, but what they neglected to mention is the fact they've all been tossed into a garbage bag and left to ferment in the sun over the summer. When Mr. Prenderghast is applied wet, it's sort of like that initial blast you'd get when opening the green garbage bag—a nostril searing mix of something sour and peppery, with a few stray ketchup packs lost in the mix.

I had been gifted a bottle of this, so I saw it as a duty to really give Mr. Prenderghast a fair shake. Every so often, I'd pull it off the bench, give it a whirl, and crinkle my nose at the onslaught of nicotine-stained yellow fingers and pickles. I even poured a small batch into an old furry touk, and watched Paranorman, taking a deep inhale whenever Mr. Prenderghast made an appearance... yes, hobo in wool.

But a funny thing's happened. I've tried it so often, it's almost become a nostalgic scent for me now. It's been aged about two years, and the aggressive onslaught has really mellowed out. What lingers is a warm, fuzzy, musky brown scent, like sticking your nose into the wool sweater of someone who chain smokes and pounds back a lot of black coffee.

It's a cozy, comforting scent, and it's also got a lot of staying power and throw.

Edited by nathanielhebert

Mr.Prenderghast is without a doubt the most unusual, peculiar (insert a bunch of other similar adjectives) bpal scent I have smelled thus far! I can't stop sniffing it because it is so strange! Smells like nothing else in my collection. My initial reaction when I smelled it in the vial- I was taken aback with the spiciness, and not in a bad way. It literally smells like hot peppers in a jar. Not something I particularly want to smell like myself but something that I am inexplicably drawn to. I have no idea what note in this is leading to spicy peppers...

On my skin it smells basically the same but maybe if I really stretch my imagination lol I get a hint of the coffee. And I do get some smokiness..smoked hot peppers in a jar...

Whatever this is I'm perplexed and fascinated by this scent. It's interesting that a lot of other reviewers smell a similar type scent to what I'm smelling in it as well.

I have had a blast reading all of the reviews above, and I am stunned that my impression is so different.

This reminds me exactly of darker, powdery Necco wafer candies! I get a combination of brown musk, wool, sweet tobacco, clove, and a hint of black coffee. While I do get a slight vinegar tang when it's still wet, it burns off quickly.

It's fuzzy, evocative, and very nostalgic.

Adding some joy to my days of isolation during this global pandemic by reviewing my hoard of scents.

this is day 5:

Mr Prenderghast

Wet: smells like some kind of liquor that’s been kept for a little too long... and although it’s not listed, I’m getting a lot of clove.

It’s quite... sharp and strong... a little off putting actually. 

I guess it’s a lot like the Character, at first your very unsure. It’s a little unpleasant almost. But it eventually settles and warms up to something... a little more friendly.

Once it’s does, it’s an old sweet cigar with in the pocket of a dusty woolen jacket with a vanilla/musky type backdrop - But it’s lost all its ‘oomph’... one minute it’s too powerful, the next it’s hard to catch it.

I love the lab’s wool note and it does come out in its comforting hug eventually, but I’d hoped it would have carried this scent and kept it cosy the whole time. 

I’m thinking it would work well layered with some vanilla from the start to soften that harsh beginning. And I’m betting a dude could pull this off better than I can....

Woof. Strong smell of pickles with cigars.

On skin, the vinegar lowers itself to a dull roar and the scent becomes all musk and smoke, bitter and a little sweet, too. Traditionally masculine and super comforting, like giving your dad a big hug-- it helps that mine is a cigar smoker. :P A very realistic old wool note shows up on drydown. Would be a nice atmo/linen scent!

Uhhhh I also get ketchup, but, like, specifically 'green' heinz ketchup from the early 00's they put out around halloween back then. (It was a game changer for me). It's a touch "spicy", but that's also the tobacco giving this an edge. Don't hate it but it's not for me.