Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Rosalind

Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers.

I got this as a frimp from Blood onmy hands (::waves::P, which was a very nice surprise.

In the bottle:

Um... pink? I think it's the peony. It's a very sweet, yummy smell, not foody but somehow smelling like spun sugar should, or candied flowers. And a bit of soap, but in a nice way, like a fancy bubblebath.

Wet:

Oh, it's even juicier and sweeter now, and I think it's the berries. Also a bit of spice. Very pleasant.

Drydown:

Dammit, this one just won't last. It's very thin and faint with ten minutes. I might need to put more on, though, and maybe my allergies were acting up that day. The scent is so pretty and spring-like and delicious I can't bear to think it didn't work. :D

When I first opened the imp, I had to stick the vial up my nose to get any sort of scent from it. (My entire order smells like a head shop, so florals don't poke through that well.)

I knew when I ordered that florals weren't for me. I thought, "Hey, I'll try one. Why not? BPAL sounds so damn awesome, I just might find a nice green scent for me."

Hahahahahahahaha not.

Upon opening the vial: Yellow. Yellow, yellow, yellow scent.

On my skin: Lemon. WOOH, LEMON! Now it smells like...floral-scented disinfectant. It's been about fifteen minutes and that's all it's been; I'm getting a slight peek-through of berries.

I'll come back and update on the state of Rosalind.

(On a better note—no pun intended—I have Black Forest on the other wrist and am falling in love for the second time!)

Edited for spelling retardation. And later: A hint—hint—of berry, but it's not even enough to convince my stupid nose that it's berry. No sign of the disinfectant going away.

I knew florals hated me.

Another edit: I went and applied more on, since I couldn't tell if berries were peeking out at me or not.

I like it more. Unless it really changes, I won't wear it, but it's a nice, fresh, green scent, reminiscent of sunshine and green, grassy hills and little girls in pigtails and blue checkered smocks picking flowers...uurgh.

I actually think I really like this. I'd never wear it, not in a million years, and it's headed straight to the 'Swap' pile, but I like it. Go figure.

Another another edit: Wow. It fades quickly.

My last and final edit: I tried this once more, after having let it sit for a short while (just to let everything settle) and there is definitely an "Ooh, bubblegum" quality to it. It's a very dry, smooth berry that reminds me of air freshener. Citrus cleaner and air freshener—Lord, I should wear it when I clean motel rooms. *laughs*

Ooh, the more it sits on me, the more berry it gets. Sadly, I'm not a floral girl.

Edited by termite_of_justice

This was my freebie. I like it, though it smells about halfway between something you'd want for a personal scent and something you'd use to freshen a room. I got dish detergent, grass, herbs, and sort of sweetly astringent florals out of it. Not bad, not at all.

Then after about 30 minutes, it just...disappeared. Poof.

Well, shoot. I'll probably donate the imp to my mom or grandma, who might get more mileage out of it. Ah, heck.

rosalind.jpg

Slightly astringent in a cooling way, I think of that as the green grasses part. I was expecting roses here (because of the name) but didn't find any. That was OK. It was a bit lemony and tangy but I wouldn't call it a lemon scent. I didn't get much spice to it and no floral. Sad to say, it fled from my skin pretty fast. I think while she lingers, Rosalind is very pretty and cool, a great summer scent which you might want to keep in a scent locket round your neck. I wish it had more I could talk about beside "astringent" , I didn't pick up berries here regardless of the official description. Oh well. Rosalind was fun while she lasted.

Initial sniff: Wow, what a surprise. I didn't have this marked on my wishlist as a "need to try" kind of thing, but one never scoffs at frimps. :P And really, this turned out wonderfully! It smells of sweet berries and green-ness.

Skin Swipe: Hmm... veerrry familiar. Then I opened my new lotion from Illuminations, it's Apple Blossom from their Blooms & Blossoms collection, it's very close to my nose! Not exact or anything, but close enough that layering possibilities are there. :D

Drydown: Kinda disappeared on me after a little while; but fresh, light scents usually do. Ah well, it had a good run of at least a few hours.

Overall: This is such a fresh, clean fruity/green fragrance it's perfect for summer! Lasting power isn't so fly, but a little alcohol could fix that. :D I can't believe how close it is to my nose to my Apple Blossom lotion. How lovely. :D This is one of those scents that reminds me of soap, not because it smells like it, but because it would make a wonderful soap/lotion/clean girly toiletry line. :D

Bottle (Imp): Fresh flowers.

Just On: Quite flowery.

An hour or two later: Crap. Soap.

Around 6 hours: Yup, my skin wrecks yet another nice scent.

12 hours: Soap.

Overall: Unfortunately, I can't wear this one.

After reading other reviews: Everybody is so lucky that can wear this. I can't. <sigh>

Ooooh, pretty! :P

First applied: This is a bright, sharp, sunny fragrance. It makes me think of juicy citrus, sun, and sparkling crystal. Clear and bright. It is a good balance of light, crisp floral and what smell like citrus to me (although not listed as a note).

After 1/2 hour: This is not as sharp anymore; it has mellowed quite a bit. Now, it is a bit soapy, although not overwhlemingly so. What I thought was citrus has lost a lot of "tang" and now seems to be the berries noted in the description. I don't really get the green notes from this one.

I think this one will be another fast-fader on me. I really do like this, though, and I find it energizing. It has a sweet innocence to it, and I wish it had more staying power and throw on me.

Fresh, light, and green. A tad citrussy - perhaps a touch of grapefruit? Muguet? Fantastic for a supremely hot day. And it lasted for a few hours, when I didn't expect it to. :P

Oro

Wet on me this smells very green, with daffodils bobbing their heads in the background. Dry on me it smells of nothing, it's disappeared entirely, which is a pity, it seemed to have the potential to develop into something really pretty.

smells like a walk through a garden in springtime right after an april shower.... :D

lovely, refreshing, grassy, wet....some gorgeous white florals going on, too...

my only regret is that Rosalind fades and disappears much too quickly on me.... :P

In the vial: A bit of dewy grass and spring flowers, but I'm getting the same feel of fabric softener that I did from Lightning, and didn't like. I think that must be an aquatic note. If I try to ignore that, this is a sunny scent, not noon bright but soft and misty like the sunrise.

Wet: More floral than aquatic now, thankfully. I'm not getting any berry or grass. There's a slightly foody feel to it that I thought I got the faintest hint of sniffing from the imp, but I ignored, thinking it was my imagination; but it's still there on my skin, something like almonds or bread.

Dry: The aquatic note is still present, but not as unpleasant as aquatics usually are to me. This has grown much more floral in a soft, feminine way. I also detect the faintest bit of citrus, which could be attributed to the berries. And... this is clean and soapy, but in a nice way! Imagine that!

An hour later: Wow, this has turned out so beautiful! It immediately reminded me of my best friend and body wash and/or spray she used to use. Bright dewy floral with a soapy background.

Overall: I'm amazed that I actually like something with an aquatic note! However, this isn't something I'd wear as perfume. Clean, soapy scents just aren't for me. But for someone who does like that sort of scent, Rosalind would be perfect.

This one was a freebie from the Lab and was from my wishlist. Wet this smells sharp, aquatic and floral. It almost smells like white pepper. It starts to smell like bitter apricot with maybe a hint of rose underneath. It reminds me of a commercial perfurme and is a bit sour. This only lasts a few hours and isn't really for me. I ended up swapping it.

In the imp: Grass.

On, wet: Grass.

Later: The flowers peek out from behind the grass, but I don't get much berry. A hint of sweetness, maybe. Which is interesting, because usually berries overpower anything else in a blend, on me. So this is a nice change of pace. It's green, and fresh, but sweeter than Dissipation.

Rosalind is a very light scent on me. It goes on as strong grassy/aquatic notes.

Then quickly mellows into a lovely -- but faint -- tart berry smell with hints of something slightly bitter (mossy?)

It's quite lovely, but too 'pale' a scent for me to wear. I can barely detect it after half an hour.

at first: this is really pretty. i'm getting mostly the grasses and flowers. very nice.

on: wow. this reminds me of something. it's very fresh. i think it might just be the scent of grass.

1 hour later: there's a hint of berries, but this is mostly wildflowers and grasses. very lovely.

2 hours later: still fresh, with a hint of sweetness from the berries.

overall: this scent is so unique and refreshing that i have to keep it. it would make a great body spray, especially in the spring.

This is lovely!!

Sharp herbal, more like fresh cut stems than flowers. Reminds me a bit of the marigolds my grandmother loved so. A touch metallic, a bit perfumy...But a very elegant perfume. Feminine but not girly.

Beautiful.

this was a frimp, which i always appreciate. i think though, that rosalind is not for me - it's grassy, a little lemony, and there's something a bit dank in it...sort of sweaty-smelling. like rolling around in the grass gettin' sweaty. i dunno...i think with the exception of van van, which i like, i'm not so into grassy scents.

this is lovely and light. We'll see if it has any staying power -- but this could be a winner for spring days, or days for being reminded of spring.

n.

Very green and grassy. Occasionally a waft of berry will appear for a moment, but the lemony tangy grassy green remains the strongest presence on my skin. Shaaarp. Not my thing at all, the unrelenting herbal scent made me a little headachey.

I found it to be very long lasting (the ones I'm not as crazy about always last! :P ), and it didn't really morph much on drydown, so if you like it, it might be a real winner for you.

Edited by LyndaM

Rosalind is an unusual smelling blend for me - the herbal/fruity/floral notes combine in a way that's really unique. On me, it's like Empyreal Mist's bouncy, hyperactive sister - a very fun, fresh scent with something vaguely peachy lurking in the background (I know it's supposed to be berries, but my nose keeps telling me it's peaches and flowers).

Thinking about getting a 5 ML of this for early spring... it's just making me think of daffodils and tulips.

On initial application: Splash of green grass with a light floral. Less salty than Val Sans Retour.

Berries come out after the first 15 minutes or so, and then get stronger and stronger, with a hint of green behind it. Apparently my skin loves berries.

A lovely scent, but I'm still searching for the perfect green grass scent.

How can I not have reviewed this yet? Rosalind has had a permanent spot in my top ten since I got it as a frimp in my very first order (oh so long ago).

It smells mainly like fresh, dewy green grass on my skin, with the berries/flowers as a faint sweetness in the distance. (I love green/herbal smells, so that's great.) It's not heavy or sharp or too sweet or perfume-counter-y on me, just springy and uncomplicated and pale and wild and beautiful, and it makes me want to run through the Forest of Arden in an innocent maidenly fashion wearing white. Also, it lasts for a decent length of time on me, but I wouldn't care if it didn't.

In short, I adore it and never want to be without it, especially for spring. :P

My first thought of this scent was that she is Snow White's springtime sister. The florals are fresh, understated, and not at all cloying; the berries add a bit of sweetness. The green note is clean and clear, but still remains feminine and very light. Sweet and innocent.

In the vial: Fresh, almost sharp green grass. Something behind it, but I can't tell what.

Wet: Still green and grassy, but I'm picking up some florals behind it and - oh, the florals are going soapy. Meh.

Dry: Sweeter, still a little soapy, but nice and light

Later: The berries come through and it stops being so soapy. Sweet, fresh, fruity and grassy, but so light as to be kind of faint. I wish it lasted longer.

Verdict: Nice, light, and springtimey, but not necessarily the best for me. Still, I might get a small bottle.

IN BOTTLE: Just as the descriptions says. Lovely and clean.

WET: Ferns. I feel Victorian...like a parlor.

DRY DOWN: Ferns and lemonade.

AFTER 3 HOURS: The berries came out, but I still have a particularly fern smell overall.

BOYFRIEND SAYS: "Potporri gone wrong."