Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Rosalind

Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers.

This oil smells mainly grassy, but very fresh. The florals are very faint and not all that noticeable. It does smell a bit dewy as well. It's a young, clean, fresh scent. It's pretty, but too feminine for me personally.

Rosalind

I was expecting to love this, with the "green grass" description. I guess I'm too used to Gap Grass to detect it here though. I don't get berries either. Just sort of a clean, fresh floral. It goes a bit soapy on me however.

All well, can't win 'em all...

Rosalind is, for me, an almost-pretty scent. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to grass, and this is one scent where my natural inclination to shy away from grass is fairly evident. The floral scent blended with the grass is soft and pretty -- very springtimey. The berries are very muted in this blend, and compliment the florals really well. Unfortunately, the grasses are killing it for me. Moderate throw and for me, typical staying power (about 90-120 minutes).

in the imp:

Smells really, really green - fresh-cut green grass.

wet:

Oh, pretty! Right now, it's a very fresh green floral. Smells so clean and slightly sweet. I'm not getting any berry scent yet, which seems funny as usually scents with those notes are like, "Hey! Berries!" on me at first. Just a slight sweetness.

dry:

Gets softer, but stays pretty true to how it smelled at first. I never get a strong berry scent at any point - by far, the grass note is the strongest in this. It's just so, so pretty and fresh and feminine.

overall:

Lovely! I was 99 percent sure I'd like this one a lot, because I love "green grass" anything (including the smell of actual grass being cut despite my allergies to it, hehe) and I was right. This one is really "me" - soft, girly, green and pink.

Rosalind

In the imp: dewberry! Yes! It smells very much like the Body Shop's Dewberry, which I used to wear a lot.

Wet on skin: still dewberry, with a hint of grapefruit and a hint of green.

Dry on skin: yup, still dewberry. Which shouldn't come as a surprise since the description mentions both dew and berries…but this is a little more complex despite it's similarities to the TBS scent. I get something like grapefruit, or citrus at least, it's a tangy fruit scent, it's very fresh. I also get grass notes, green and tangy, surrounding the berry. It's a very wet scent, dewy and moist, and also very refreshing and alive, a real springtime or summer morning scent.

After a while: I think I'm getting flowers now…very soft, gentle, fresh spring blossoms…I can't say what flowers they are but they are very pretty. The dewberry-citrus scent is still very strong-in fact, the citrus note seems slightly like yuzu now, I get a slight Aizen Myoo similarity at times.

The drydown is all dewberry with a hint of flowers, but I'm really surprised at how long the 'citrus' (if that's what it is) is lasting-it got remarkable staying power in here.

Eventually this becomes a sharp white floral-citrus that fades away quickly.

Verdict: I used to wear dewberry lotion and wash with dewberry soap a lot as a kid/pre-teen. This smells just like the TBS dewberry, or the Boots dewberry which smells identical to me. This is, as far as I know, the only BPAL which smells of dewberry (Cheshire Cat had a hint of something like it at the end, but not like this) however, this scent has a little bit more to it. I get lots of citrus-grapefruit or yuzu, sharp and crisp. I get a little greenery, and just the faintest hint of white spring flowers. Oh, and the dew? I'm amazed at how Beth can make a scent smell wet without any blatant aquatic notes-she gives the impression of dew amongst flowers and fruit. Despite the incredible longevity of the citrus note here (if it is citrus) the scent as a whole doesn't last long on me. I might keep the imp-no bottle yet-because this is a fresh, zesty, happy and light scent, great for summer, and because of the old dewberry nostalgia.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Cheshire Cat, Aizen Myoo

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Although I smell the grasses, I also smell something astringent. I can't smell berries at all! This was really disappointing, but I'm sure there are other scents with berries that I will like.

On: quite aquatic; the berries must be juniper berries, because this smells piney and almost ozoney. Not my kind of thing, though I'm sure it's lovely on the right person.

Sweet grass, faint wildflowers, and slightly flat-smelling berries. This smells almost watery in the imp. A very light scent. It's so natural-smelling that even if you slathered people passing by may think they're smelling actual nature and not someone's perfume. It's a very pretty, fresh, natural scent (actually it reminds me of the sleepaway camp I went to when I was younger...), not perfumey at all. On me, I get mostly grass and berries. The berries go a teeny bit flat and synthetic-smelling, perhaps because of my chemistry, making this blend not for me.

rating: 3/5

In the vial: very fresh and green

Wet: fresh, green and softly floral

Dry: this scent stayed green with just the faintest whiff of floral and berry fruitiness. A lovely surprise!

This is an almost transparent scent, fresh but elusive. It's like sweet grass and pale flowers, but the scent is carried on a breeze. Pretty, but insubstantial.

My nose wants to like this because it is so ethereal. Unfortunately all I take from this one is some kind of boutique cleaning solution.

Too bad...

The first thing I smell in this is the berries. They're lovely, fresh, dew covered, and delicious. The freshness mixes with the grass and the budding florals and becomes this ...greenness around the fruit.

Rosalind-

In Bottle: Mm, very warm and berry-ish.

Wet: Very sharp smell like black pepper!

Dry: Hmm. This dries back to the berry scent, but it's a quick fader and always has that sharpness underneath. It doesn't do anything for me.

Overall: Not for me.

Frimp from the Lab!

Wet on skin: Um! This is somehow sharp, maybe it's the grass? A little sweet, berries, but no floral.

5 minutes: Still sharp - a little too much so, I think. I don't know what this reminds me of, but it's not a grass smell. I like grass. This, I do not like.

10 minutes: Unchanged from 5 minutes, drat it!

2 hours +: Somewhere around an hour or so this mellowed considerably. It's now a light, very sweet (berries I assume) floral. Very pretty, good for spring I'd think.

Final verdict? A keeper for the imp - nice if I can get past the drydown stage!

Wet, this was a light, aquatic floral. Drying, it smelled...lemony. Huh. Dry, five minutes later, it's....soap.

Oh, well. ::tosses in the swap pile::

In the bottle: grass, clover, and dandelions.

On the skin: Still very wet and green, like a freshly cut lawn on a spring morning. I’m a bit disappointed there there’s no berries here!

Drying, it becomes less grass and more flowers, and once it’s dried, there’s a definite feeling of spring to this one. It’s light and subtle, and reminds me of a certain Enraged Musk of a Bunny-type persuasion. Very fresh!

Right out of the vial I smell very young, fresh berries, still on the vine and not yet picked :P

On my skin this turns to a sweeter berry with some light grasses in the background. I'm getting a slight breeze of flowers, but not too much. it's very light.

As this dries down the flowers bloom even more. it's actually giving me the image of walking through a meadow during the peak of summer. I can see tall wild flowers all around me, thick grass, bushes ripe with fruit. Mmm! This is gorgeous. I love that the flowers are only faint in the background. if they were any stronger I don't think I'd like this blend very much, but everything is mixed so so well.

This is definitely a spring/summer perfume. I can see myself wearing this on a really hot day, waiting for a sun shower to cool me off.

I'm not sure if it's something i need in 5ml. I'm going to put my imp away until the warmer weather comes back and see how it hold up when the flowers are in bloom :D

Very fruity, with light florals and a hint of something sharper. Medium throw. It feels sort of "heavy," but that doesn't make any sense...not in terms of heavy scent but rather heavy weight...maybe "deep" is a better word? I'm also getting a slight aquatic feel.

This is mostly green, slightly floral, and no berry, at least on my skin. It's very fresh and youthful and reminds me of a spring day. Beautiful!

Initial impression: I was worried about this one, since many of the fruitier BPALs haven't worked all that well for me....I'm usually left smelling (to myself, anyway) like a my seventh grade niece. But this is great. I'm initially getting almost all green grass, which is very wonderful and refreshing.

Wearing: As it dries, I get more sweetness, but it's not really identifiable to me as either berrylike, or floral....just a nice sweetness to underscore and further sweeten the grass vibe. Many florals just seem to go instant Motel 6 soap on me, but this doesn't seem to be doing that....AND, I don't think I smell like a teenybopper, either, which is ALSO good.

Verdict: I'll admit that this scent seems a little out of phase for me.....it does seem much more appropriate for the spring and summer months. My imp will have to wait until then to really get tried out properly. In fact, this seems like a good candidate for a cycling scent.......I'm a touring cyclist, i.e., lots of miles, not so much worried about beating Lance Armstrong to the destination. :P I do "Century" (100 metric miles) rides on Sundays in the spring/summer (before it gets TOO hot down here on the Gulf Coast) with friends, and also do some longer bike tours throughout the year. I feel pretty skanky after riding, and have been looking for a not-overwhelming-to-others scent that I could dilute down to eau-de-toillette strength as a spritzer. This might really fit the bill.

In the bottle: real green! So close to fresh-cut St. Augustine grass.

On my skin: smells 'clean' with a slighty sweet undertone. The grassy smell has morphed and has a dusty feel to it similar to 'hay'.

Drydown: this gets softer and dries down with a hint of sweetness, but not cloyingly so. The hay note that came out in the center stage disappeared and the fresh cut green grass came back. Very fresh and feminine!

on me, this is a blend of red berries, cherry (not listed in the notes, but i swear it’s there!) and greenery. i’m not picking up a specific “fresh cut grass” scent that i was expecting, and i can’t smell anything floral. i guess this is supposed to be a springtime scent, but it reminds me more of the holidays because it’s a bit like potpourri. it's pleasant – probably a good room scent.

first sniff: green. The smell of green grass wet with dew in late spring or early summer. For some reason, I'm reminded of picking wood sorrel out of my lawn as a child and crushing it between my hands: green and sweet. The berries are there, but they're in the background.

wet: This is very green to me. There is a slightly soapy note at the very beginning, like my husband's Irish Spring soap. The grass smell is so strong it feels like I might sneeze...

dry: The grass dies down and the berries start to come out for me. As quinkel said, this is an evil version of Dewberry.

This will be great when I need something fresh and juicy during those hot, dusty days of late summer.

This did smell quite pretty in the imp--light grasses (not heavy fermenting grasses freshly cut in spring, or dried out grasses in summer) still in the soil and some wild berries. Sadly, on my skin, it vanished in less than 45 minutes. While it was on my skin, it was a light base of grass, and the berry note did not emerge until it had been on my skin for about twenty minutes. By that time, the whole thing was faint.

This smells like . . . shampoo! A very clean meadowy smell, like laundry washed in sweet berry/floral soap hanging in a field. This is a relentlessly cheerful, springtimey, smiling scent.

I just got out of the shower, and I couldn't much smell it after applying it. That is how soapy-clean this is. Frothing and sudsy, almost.

Beyond the flowers and grass, there's not much; a vague green wood scent and a hint of waxy berries, as though the field borders a forest. It's still cheerful and good-natured, without anything really distinctive about it at all.

Recommended for those who like clean, soapy scents. This is bright and mild, and even works on me. The floral and grass elements are very well-balanced, and the berry is barely an influence.