Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Rosalind

Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers.

Rosalind goes on as a very astringent grassy blend, and stays that way for at least an hour before the berries begin to show. I also feel like I can smell something lemony in there, as other reviewers have noted. I don't get a lot of floral notes, they are very subdued on my skin.

I love the idea of Rosalind, but my chemistry makes too much of the grass notes and they smother almost everything else. I'm a wee bit sad, because I love the character of Rosalind, and would like nothing more than to make this a signature scent.

Edited by LiberAmoris

Isn't it wonderful how the name of a BPAL scent so often IS the best way to describe it? This mix of herb and sweetness (must go berry and sweet faster on me than some) with just a bare hint of flowers might best be described as how an androgynously lovely young person, living in an idyllic forest, with a heart full of young young and longing love, might smell.

If you are a wee slip of a girl, who knows how to climb trees, this is so for you.

If you still have that girl living somewhere inside you, you'll love this too.

Edited by Kaygee

In the imp: Oh, lovely, although I miss the berries. Grass and sweet flowers, like a spring bouquet.

Wet: Same as in the imp, a very fresh, clean scent. Slowly the berries peek out a bit. As other reviewers before me I picture a little girl in a pretty dress, running down a hill carrying flowers.

Dry: Settles into a somewhat powdery flowery scent with a tang of herb grass mixed in. Every now and then I catch a whiff of berry. At first it had quite a throw, but it fades quite fast.

Overall impression: I really wanted this to be a keeper, because it's so lovely at first. But it fades too fast and has too much flower and not enough berry for my taste. Reminds me of a potpurri.

This starts out very herbal smelling. Then has a floral wave, then goes green. I never got any berries once it was on my skin. It is a little sharp to me.

Rosalind

This one is a morpher and not quite to my liking. It starts out light and fresh and grassy with a hint of floral like peony or lily of the valley. Unfortionately slightly soapy/sharp. It dries to something very light and generic schampoo fresch, grassy/floral/citrusy. But what clings to the skin is a candy sweet berry scent I think of as hot pink. Very girlie and cute and a bit over-the-top. Evil berries.

First Impression: Aquatic floral.

Dries down to: A soft, fresh floral with a hint of berry - like a garden after a spring rain.

Additional Comments: This is a very delicate floral and the berries give it a bit of volume. It feels "pure" to me and is quite pretty although delicate and short-lived. I can see wearing this out to an afternoon tea.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Rosalind is a light green and aquatic scent, with a hint of berry. On me, the grass note stands out the most with the aquatic note second, but then the berry comes out more and the wateryness of this recedes. Oh aww... I've only had this on for a few minutes now and it's already faded quite a bit :P

The description of this sounded so pretty. As for a background, my skin usually really picks up on the berry notes. This one however? I didn't smell berries at all. I got a very green smell from it along with florals that worked horribly with my chemistry. This one failed miserably. It's now enjoying a new home with a friend of mine.

Oh my goodness, this is heavenly! Exactly what it promises; berrries, green grasses and flowers! The light, gorgeous florals are on top, they are amazingly innocent and alluring. They are undershadowed by a beautiful green, planty note, sort of like the grass note in Two, five, and seven. The berries are shot through the base of this scent, and they are sweet, tantalizing, and not at all overpowering. This scent is beautifully blended, and each time I sniff it it smells a little different. I love Rosalind, I don't know why I waited so long to try it, it's fabulous!!! :P

In the bottle: A little flowery, but so light that you almost don't notice it. Almost a kind of... clear smell to it. Reminds me of spring... which I suppose is the idea.

On my skin: There's a flower, I can't name it... a lily or a tulip... maybe a daffodil. Not overpowering, it takes a good whiff right next to my arm to smell it. Nice and light. A little more drying and it begins to smell a bit like a spring garden. There's something else, like, fresh cut grass almost. Sort of smells like an early morning in May. It has a clean edge to it.

Final Thoughts: Subtle and springy. I like it. Kind of on the pretty side, but I like it.

Rosalind smells like soap. Very clean, pretty, green soap. I'm normally one to give the soapy clean smells their due, as I hold clean smells as crush objects, but Rosalind is a little different. It reminds me of the Sea of Glass imp I tried not too long ago, as there's a bit of saltiness in the fragrance. I haven't caught any sort of berry smell in the test spot at all.

This would make a nice room fragrance, but I'm not impressed enough with Rosalind to keep this freebie imp, though I'm always much obliged to test whatever the Lab sends to me eventually. I think Rosalind might actually work better as a scent for my boyfriend to try, as it smells very unisex, if not a hint masculine.

-doreen

in the bottle:

wildflowers

first impressions on:

green grass and wildflowers… I don't smell much berry. Very nice and refreshing, perfect for a spring day. Lightly sweet not sickening, the grass notes help keep it fresh.

wearing it:

dry the berries are still subtle but they're there. Smells amazing! Like youth, and spring. Reminds me of Demeter's "wet garden" which I love, only this lasts longer

overall:

Love it, would consider a bottle when I run out of the imp.

rating: 8/10

Edited by HennaFairy

In the imp: green sap, damp blackberries, and florals.

On me, wet: hmm, it's gone to strong florals over citrus and aquatic. Smells a bit like an air freshener.

On me, dry: erk, now whenever I sniff at it I feel like I've literally stuck my head into a damp cloud of strong floral air-freshener spray. Yargh. I thought this was supposed to have berries?

Verdict: Unsurprisingly, not a keeper.

I received this one as a freebie and I don't get any berries or grass out of this scent. All I get is an herbal, soapy smell that is slightly sweet and slightly headache inducing. I think that Amsterdam is a much nicer/prettier variation on this theme.

Gorgeous! Light berry/grassy/watery smell, no soap in sight. It's absolutely fresh and clean and I bet the SO would love it on me (he's a big fan of perfume that doesn't smell like perfume). This is the prettiest "pink and green" BPAL I've tried yet. Perfect for spring.

Only problem is, it is next to no throw or lasting power on my skin. But that's probably just me and my crazy skin, because it sucks up allllllllllll aquatics/grassy-herbal/berry scents in moments.

I didn't smell berries with this one, alas, just roses and grass. I had a grass perfume from the Gap once that smelled very much like this. The grass kind of overwhelmed the mixture on me. Just made it a little too sourly green for me to really enjoy.

Glasgow ended up being what I hoped this would be.

grass grass grass!! But I liked it! Like when someone is mowing the lawn... Normally that makes me sneeze, so it is nice to smell and enjoy it without that. Once it was on my arm a little while, the grass calmed down a bit and allowed a bit of a floral scent to come through...

love this! :P

In the bottle: Very clean synthetic herbs... it reminds me of some kind of detergent. Ew.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, lemony green grass that has a synthetic vibe.

Drydown: Other herb scents come out around the grass, and I suppose this is the scent of red berries. It smells extremely chemical to me, worse than tart. There's a herbal quality to this, but I can't put my finger on which herb it is.

Overall: Ick. Chemical and acidic, with very fake grass and berry notes. A huge dud on me, it's the kind of scent I try to avoid putting in my toilet because it smells too fake, so I'm certainly not going to wear it on my skin. Besides, grass smells tend to give me a headache.

Hm. Wet, this smells like lemongrass to me. It goes from lemongrass to lemon-scented detergent before fading away half an hour later. I like the wet scent enough to use this in a locket, but I'm less wild about the detergent scent it morphs into, so I doubt I'll pick it up beyond the imp.

This grass note smells very soapy on me. After awhile it fades and sweet flowers spring forth... not bad at all. Sweet with just a hint of berry fruitiness.

The soap note brings down the score for me, but I would still consider getting a bottle of this.

Bright happy springtime grass, with a waft of rose. Green, cheerful, sunny, lovely...

... and completely gone in ten minutes. Woe!

Faint grassy and floral notes with a very very fine touch of berries comes breathing out of the bottle. Wet, this disappears into the softest caress of berrie leaves and unopened buds. Dry, this is dusty florals and grass, incredibly vague or light - I can't tell which. Warmed, this becomes sweet berries in your mouth with flower petals in your hair and grass stains on both knees of your new pair of white stockings - delightful and oh so very innocent but damning. If mom's not going to spank you for ruining the stockings, you'll have a tummy ache from too many berries. This isn't foody at all, and it hardly is fair to call the green note "grass stains" in the sense of how most people represent grass stains. I'm talking about those dainty green dots little girls get when they sit on their knees during the tea party in the back yard - sweetly green and tender, not dark and irremovable stains so much as a breath of grass over skin. This fades classically, going from berries over petals and grass to petals over berries with grass hovering in the background. A final kiss of flower buds and this is gone.

Rosalind

In the bottle: A mix of tart and sweet. Sort of a generic shampoo scent.

On me/wet: Green, herbal, a little floral. The sharpness made me sneeze (never a good sign). :P

Drydown: I can't pick up any real distinct notes from this one. The sharp green has gone away, leaving behind a light floral with a sweet-tart, muddled berry scent wafting in and out. :D It's getting prettier as it dries, but I already have favorites in the berry scents and light florals. Not a keeper for me...

In the imp: huh. Much sharper than I was expecting. Almost bitter.

Wet: Still quite sharp. I second the adjective "astringent" I saw someone else use. This is full of sharp, bitter herbs and grasses. I don't scent a single berry or floral yet.

Early dry down: This has faded a bit and the bitterness has mellowed. However, this is still mostlly herbal on me. It smells like the OLD version of Clairol Herbal Essence -- the green shampoo with the mermaid on the bottle.

Late dry down:

After an hour, this pretty much faded away completely. I was left with just a bit of the shampoo scent against my skin. It's not unpleasant, just nothing to squee about.