Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puck_nc

Annurca Apple Blossom

While this scent is fresh, crisp, refreshing, and redolent of spring mornings, it also possesses an ancient timbre: this is the fragrance of the apple orchards of ancient Herculaneum.

Origin: Straight from the Lab!

Initial Thoughts: First, YAY for single notes! Second, I have found that I tend to enjoy the blossom scent more than the fruit (Peach Moon's peach blossom was divine, orange blossom tends to play nice for me, etc.), so getting an apple blossom accord was a no-brainer.

In the Bottle: A beautiful green floral apple with a bit of wood in the background. Fresh and springlike.

Wet: Nice! The apple blossom jumps out strongly, a little sweeter than in the bottle. It's skating to the edge of a candy scent, almost like a Jolly Rancher Sour Apple, but not quite. My husband claims that he smells something artificial about it--I don't get that.

Drydown: The candy undertone fades back to the more pure floral apple blossom, with just enough leafy/woodsy background notes to give the impression of walking in an orchard.

Verdict: Love it! I am so happy I have a bottle!

In the bottle this smells just like Suave Green Apple shampoo, which is not altogether unpleasant. It mellows on the skin, though, with a much more realistic apple fruit scent mixed with the soft floral and wood of the blossom emerging. Even better than I expected it to be!

Edit after a full wear:

Man my skin is weird. My wrists eat this scent. I mean, really: It's like there is nothing there. But there is the loveliest waft coming from the crooks of my elbows! SO WEIRD!

I also noticed that this oil seems thinner than a lot of the others I have. It almost feels water-based instead of oily, and it sloshes around the bottle that way as well. I don't know that I've ever noticed a consistency of an oil so much.

Edited by Leopard403

I was so excited to order this because I love the smell of apples, and I was hoping this would be that perfect "orchard in a bottle" scent. Did it live up to expectations? Read on, friends...

In the bottle: Sniff, and...It's early October, I'm up in uber-Northern NJ with my husband, we've gone on a day-trip to an apple orchard. I'm in the orchard, the sky is a brilliant blue with some lazy, puffy white clouds crawling across the sky. The air is fresh and just a bit cool. The sun is filtering through the trees, I can hear a light breeze rustling through the branches. I'm munching on a perfect apple (Winesap, my favorite!) I just plucked from a tree. The apples smell amazing, the air is filled with the soft scent of the apple blossoms and the sun-warmed trees. This is a perfect moment of happiness. And sniffing this from the bottle takes me there. It is amazing, truly.

Wet on my skin: Pure sweet apples, soft floral blossoms, a nice understated grounding of wood.

In my locket: Remains true to the smell out of the bottle. Amazing.

Drying down: The apple notes are becoming softer on my skin, and they mingle beautifully with the woods and florals. The throw is pretty decent, my husband could smell the bottle when I opened it from about 5 feet away from him, and when i had it on, he could smell it sitting next to me in the car, but he said it wasn't offensive or overpowering, he liked it a lot. Had nice lasting power, too - 5 hours into wearing it and I can still smell it.

This is such a special scent to me - it's seriously like warmth and happiness in a bottle. It could be because fall was the season when I fell in love with my husband, and this scent is so evocative of those afternoons with him in the apple orchard - afternoons I look forward to every year! Beth has bottled magic for me with this one! :heart: I have 3 back-ups on the way to me, this is one I absolutely need to stock up on!

Annurca Apple Blossom:

This reminded me of the Strawberry Shortcake doll Apple Dumpling that my younger sister loved so much in the 80's. Very pretty & long lasting power on my skin. I love single notes. :D

I opened this and tears came into my eyes.

My elementary school was surrounded by crabapple trees, and there were many such trees scattered about the neighborhood.. In the spring, they were so heavy with pink and white flowers. It was my favorite time of year.

Sometime when I was in high school, the trees were cut down. I assume disease... they were old. They were not replaced. It made me so sad.

Then I moved away, and have not been near an apple tree in the spring since.

I cracked open the bottle and those trees came back. The sound of happy bees, the joy of those trees in full bloom...

I never even really thought of the trees as particularly fragrant either.... but scent memory. They were, but it's not an overpowering smell. Just the sunny smell of childhood.

sniffle.

This is not particularly wearable for me - apple fruit works, but apple blossom goes a bit soapy. I smell good and clean, but very much changed from the bottle. Still, I will treasure this - what a bright and happy and fresh scent! I think I might make this a pillow scent.

this smells like ... hairspray.

Salon Selectives hairspray, to be specific. which, admittedly, has ruined most apple scents for me.

motz.gif ... since i was surrounded by girls who must have gone through a can of that stuff a week.

995e4f6e.jpg

eta: i adore Snow Glass Apples.

and i've tried this a few more times since i posted this review and ... noap. still smells like teh hairspray from 1991.

fear.gif

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Thoughts before testing: I literally squeaked with excitement when I saw that the single notes were making a return, and so this and Spanish Red Carnation were instant purchases for me.

Wet: This smells, I kid you not, exactly like the Head and Shoulders green apple shampoo I have in my shower. This is actually not a bad thing as it's my favorite shampoo, lol. Very juicy, very fresh, very pretty.

Dry down: This is so stinking pretty.

Dry: Very fresh, very floral, very pretty.

Final thoughts: I feel like this isn't a helpful review at all because when I sniff my hand my brain goes blank and all I can think is "PREEEEEEEEEEETY!" :rofl: Apple blossom can sometimes go soapy on me, but this didn't at all and lasted forever (six hours and still going strong!). This is a really bright, warm, lovely perfume. I've been on the hunt for an appropriate scent for summertime because most of my BPAL is creamy/spicy/strong which can be overwhelming in the heat and humidity. I do believe that Annurca Apple Blossom fits the bill!

Verdict: :love!:

I haven't always had the best realtionship with apple blossom. Sometimes it's worked, sometimes it hasn't. I turned Eve v5 into cheap cloying floral soap, but got on very well with Valse Finale et Apotheose. Naturally I hoped this would be like the apple blossom in the latter, and it was. :lovestruck:

This is the perfect fresh, clean floral. It's a bit more appley wet, reminding me a bit of the Suave apple shampoo I used to use in junior high, but quickly dries down to a cool floral skin scent. The clean aspect isn't the floral guest soap I got in Eve v5, just fresh and clean like just-washed skin and the scent of spring flowers on a cool breeze. It's perfect for warmer weaterh as well as those days I don't feel like wearing anything heavy. I am so glad Beth is bringing single notes back, and can't wait to see what's next!

When I first smelled this I though Garnier Fructise! Lol, this is very similar to what I remember that brands shampoo smelling like. How funny so many of us are getting that shampoo connection. Anyhow, OPther than noting that, I agree with everyone for the most part. Its mainly a green apple scent, with a bit of blossoms, and maybe some wood, that on me at least, barely makes an appearance, and only at the last couple of hours. I'd say the notes I get from this = 80% green apple, 15% blossoms, and 5% wood. Its nice, but I cant stand to smell like soap or shampoo.. or anything clean for that matter I suppose :rofl: That said, it is a single note, so I guess I could attempt layering. ... or just sniff it every once in a while XD

It's funny, it's been so many years since I've used mainstream haircare products that, for me, my first reaction was NOT shampoo or hairspray but...candy? And...lipgloss? Hmmm :think:

That said, I can see how one would jump to body products upon initial investigation of this single note.

As with Red Carnation, I notice right away that there's little difference between what I smell in the bottle and what blooms on my skin. So as I said in my other SN review, it certainly seems like these are of the "What you see (smell?) is what you get" variety. Which I like. Sometimes I want something straight forward with no surprises.

All that said, I think what I'm realizing about myself is that it takes a LOT of finesse for me to like an Apple scent. Last autumn's Spiced Apple Cider was pretty much the be-all, end-all for me with Apples.

Maybe it's the lightness of this one (it has a decent throw but it's a rather timid apple- less crisp than some others, less foodie.) The blossom aspect as opposed to being straight up fruit, perhaps.

Maybe it's the thing that others find "soapy" or "shampoo-esque".

Whatever the reason, it's a perfectly fine scent, and I'm honored I got to test it, but it's not one for me. ;)

This is the rich smell of a green apple floral. It's light and delicate while wet but a bit too perfumey. Too bad it turns to expensive soap on my skin. Sigh. This was not meant to be. :(

In the vial: I mostly smell green apples - Granny Smith? - with maybe just a touch of florals. I'm disappointed, as I expected a single note to be just the flower, without the addition of the fruit. (Unless maybe apple blossoms - unlike orange blossoms - do carry some of the fruit scent? I'm not that familiar with apple blossoms - apple trees don't grow where I live. But other apple blossom perfumes I've used had no trace of the fruit.) It's beautiful and I love sniffing it, but I don't want to walk around smelling like any kind of food. Well, I'll give it a try.

On me, wet: Even fruiter. But I have to admit, it is an utterly realistic fresh apple. And then, within a minute, a bit of slightly sharp floral starts to peek out. It stays well in the background, though.

After 10 minutes: The floral has continued to strengthen, and is now more of a presence. It is a dry, powdery (in a good way) kind of floral - no longer sharp. I like this somewhat better as a perfume now. It is still more fruity than floral, though.

After 30 minutes: Some of the fruitiness has gone, but my skin seems to be doing weird things to this, because it doesn't smell like flowers, either. Just a strange, artificial kind of smell. With an undertone of motor oil.

After 1 hour: Same as above, although I'm picking up the apple fruit a little more - perhaps because the other things are fading?

After 2 hours: All apple (fruit). No trace left of the floral note. At least it's back to a normal apple scent anyway, no more of that unpleasant chemical-and-motor oil odor.

After 3 hours: It has settled into a stable fragrance of apple fruit as it gradually fades. It's weaker now, but definitely still around.

I then tried this in my perfume locket, in order to avoid the strange-smelling chemical reaction with my skin, and also to see if the floral aspect would remain longer that way.

At 20 minutes: It is all fruit. The floral has yet to develop, but that's not surprising. I've found that fragrances tend to go through all the same phases, but FAR more slowly, in the perfume locket as they do on the skin. (And without any detrimental interactions with the skin, obviously.)

At 30 minutes: I started to pick up just of hint of florals around the 30-minute mark. At first they are very soft, but after about a few minutes, I get the same slight sharpness that I noticed on my skin.

At 45 minutes: Lots of gorgeous floral, yay! Almost equal to the fruitiness. I love it at this point! The fruit note makes a lovely accent when there is enough floral presence to keep the overall fragrance from being foody.

Af 7 1/2 hours: I suspect that the throw might be more fruity, but up close anyway (to me while wearing it), the floral is still holding its own. Which means I'm still loving it. For me, the perfume locket is definitely the way to go with this. On a side note, while still wearing the locket, I went to bed on sheets that had been sprayed with Erebos Atmospheric Spray many hours earlier (maybe even the night before, I don't remember when I did it.) The combination of this with the faded Erebos is absolutely STUNNING!

After 14 hours: Now decidedly more fruity than floral, as when it started out.

My rating: 3.5 stars on my skin, 4.5 stars in the scent locket

This would also make a great room scent for the kitchen; or an air freshener in the fridge (I crumple up a paper towel into a small glass jar, drip some oil onto the paper towel, and put the jar uncovered in the refrigerator.)

Oh, oh, oh.

I think I'm in love.

It smells green, clean, and like apples. This is that green apple note from Snow Glass Apples. Obviously less icy, but it's the same. It's got a bit of a floral tinge to it, esp. when it dries.

Some would say that its too delicate, or perhaps soapy, or even perfumey.

Heathens. What do they know. ;)

Comparison of Annurca Apple Blossom to the original Apple Blossom SN of '04

Annurca Apple Blossom

In the Bottle: I hate to say this, but.... it smells like a canned scent you'd find at B&B. It's sour (like a granny smith apple that's had every hint of sweetness sucked right out of it) and aquatic with just a hint of floral. I love apple blossom, but this smells nothing like any apple blossom I've ever come in contact with before (perhaps Annurca is a very different smelling species)

On My Skin: Very aquatic, a bit sharp, still sour, and even less apply than in the bottle. I have an intense dislike for this scent.

To zz: I thoroughly enjoy my heathen ways B) I can certainly see why you like it though. I think anyone who likes Snow Glass Apples would be pleased with this scent as well.

Apple Blossom

In the Vial: Sweet, apply, not nearly as floral as you'd think..... very pretty.

On My Skin: Still sweet and apply, but unfortunately this scent has a habit of turning a bit green on my skin.... leaves, green branches, etc. I keep a bit 'cause I love to sniff it, but never wear it for that reason.

Two very different scents. If you like aquatic scents, Annurca is the one for you. If you were hoping for something sweet and fruity.... the original would be a much better fit for you if you can find it.

Edited by SurrealReality

This smells like a shampoo to me. It's green apple, and fresh smelling, but there is a somewhat plastic or chemical note that pulls it towards soap. Oh well.

When I first put this on, I thought that it smelled exactly like Suave's Green Apple shampoo, and I see that others have mentioned that as well. Bpal's apple blossom always has a soapy undertone on me, and this definitely has that cheap, soapy feel on my skin. Like tart green apple (that turns a bit sour in the drydown) and a perfumey soapiness that gives me a headache :( there's also a dry, powdery something that comes out after about a half hour. It winds up smelling like a cheap, chemical-y, perfumey, soapy, sour, green apple with a side of powder.

This is kind of a mess on me, but I've never liked bpal's apple blossom, so it's not surprising that this doesn't work for me...

This is, indeed, a very "fresh and crisp" scent - in addition to the apple blossoms, I get juicy green apples themselves, too. The mix is very nice.

While apple is not particularly a scent that I like to wear, I find Annurca delicious and refreshing. It's the sort of thing I would pull out if I had to spend time in a hot, humid environment. It's cooling without being a "cold" scent.

Edited by OctoberGwen

I love apple, but usually fruit blossoms = shampoo for me, so I really didn't expect much from Annurca Apple Blossom.

:thud:

I. Love. This.

Yeah, there's a bit of a shampoo-scent feeling to it, but there's also kind of a green-apple-Jolly-Rancher-ness, and the balance is pretty much perfect for me. It's shampoo/fruit/flower/candy all rolled into one. I'd have been happy if it was all green apple candy, but the blossomy bit makes it a little more grown up, and I like that.

Very bright, 'young' kind of scent, very much like a shampoo, perhaps Pert, but nicer. Not really the apple fruit, but the apple blossom, though it doesn't smell 'real' to me, kind of like a synthetic apple. I still kind of like it, but it's not really me. I can see me wearing this if I'm in the right kind of mood. It would be nice for a warm spring day, I think. I'll keep my decant.

I don't know what to say except that I LOVE THIS SCENT. I am so glad I have a bottle! To me this is right up there with The Silver Apple of the Moon. Love, love, love. *sigh* And I think I'm going to put some on now :D

this is a white floral and crisp tart apple scent to my nose. the apple is fresh, tart and juicy- i feel like i smell the skin and the flesh and the leaves and blossoms of the apple tree, all at once! the floral and fruity components actually work really nicely together and make this a lovely, fresh, springlike scent.

as it dries, the tartness kind of mellows and it smells more blended- soft apple-scented flower petals. it is clean and fresh and i can for sure see where some might think it smells like soap or shampoo, although it is not overtly soapy to my nose. it's nice but due to the significant floral component, i don't think i could wear this one.

one more thing- it has very impressive throw!

The fresh juice of apples in the bottle. Goes on as a perfumy apple which quickly becomes Salon Selectives. I like it, mind you. I do think it's hilarious how many of us are getting hair care and body products from this.

I get exactly what is says on the bottle and it is BEAUTIFUL! This is a very pretty, effervescent scent and I'm happy to have found one floral that doesn't go gross on me. :squee: