Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

Something in this scent reads red to me, not sure which note. Definitely sugary sweet and warm, just a hint of almond. Too foody for my taste!

This starts off as a rich burst of sweet almond (which always translates to cherries to my nose), with a certain spiciness behind it. If I didn't know better I would say it was cinnamon, but maybe it is the rum lending the spice? The honey mead adds an incredible sweetness to the blend. So just applied, this is a super sweet, yet rich and spicy cherry blend, which I just adore... Quickly, however, all of the wonderful spicy cherry awesomeness fades away, and only leaves a lingering trace. After just a few minutes, the honey mead starts doing something weird and kind of plasticky, and a trace of the nuttiness now becomes apparent. On drydown, this seems to become a nutty honey mead scent with a trace of spice and red wine.

Marzipan in the bottle, and goes on as a slightly sweet almond extract. Shortly dries to buttercream, losing the almond. There's a brief honey note, and it finishes as a faint hazelnut. Not much throw. I really wanted this to be the almond, but alas, no.

Wet: Cherry. That's what almond extract smells like on me, for whatever reason.

Dry: Pleasant, but sort of vague and non-descript. Sweet. It's not blowing me away or anything, but it's not bad either. I feel like this might be a good layering scent for things that could do with a little sweetening (Café Mille et Une Nuit comes to mind).

Oh my, right out of the imp it smells like amaretto, boozy and sweet almond, always tricking me to think cherry. On the skin, nope nope nooooope. Smells like burning almond extract, like if you put almond extract in a oil burner. It is sharp and too strong on my nose. This is a wonderful blend if your skin can do almond, I found out that mine can't.

I guess I amp almond since Hellcat smells almost exactly like another cat, Bastet. The hazelnut and cream makes this slightly foodier than Bastet, but those notes are eaten up right away by my skin. Once they're gone Hellcat smells flat and dusty, like Bastet after its loooong drydown. As I'm still nursing an ancient bottle of Bastet I don't think I'll need anything more of this kitty than my one imp.

Wand: I could smell the buttery honey and almond of this as soon as I opened the vial. Up close, the mead and booze notes are also strong.

Wet: Buttery honey mead, almost sickly sweet almond, and booze. The booze goes a little sour or stale on my skin for a while -- something there is off. Then the whole settles into a warm, sweet, nutty, and slightly spicy rum smell.

Dry: That rum-dominant smell continues through drydown. This reminds me of the holidays -- at the least, it seems a cold-weather scent. Eventually, it leans back toward marzipan.

Once this settles, it's likable. I'll enjoy the sample but feel no need for a bottle.

Imp: sickly sweet "cherry" almond scent
Wet on me: still getting that cherry almond with the hazelnut undertones.
Drying Down: drying the cherry part goes away and now I get nuts and honey sweetness.
Dry: nuts and overly sweet honey. no rum alas :(

In the imp and on dry the almond smells like cherry cough syrup but that burns off. It finishes very warm and nutty with no traces of cherry. It's sweet, creamy, with just a hint of spice. This feels perfect for the holidays

Blehg, almond. I'm not looking forward to this but here goes;
I LOVE the rum notes bpal uses, and it's no different in here. Really makes me want to grab a drink right now. The almond stays very much in the foreground, but I don't mind it too much, strangely.

It's a quite sexy blend!
All of the notes are easy to pick out, but work together really well. Feminine, and sugary sweet. Not for me, but I see why it's so loved. :)

Hellcat is a strange little morpher on me. Wet, it was all the hazelnut almond rum buttercream amaretto Frangelico marzipan goodness I was hoping for. It smelled exactly the way I expected it to. Not that I want to smell like a girly hazelnut liqueur cocktail all the time, but yes, I want that option, and I can't wait to wear it during the holidays. But the drydown surprised me. It got, well, dry, and the notes merged into something that on my skin was a lot like - leather? I wonder if that's the "bite"? I still like it a great deal and appreciate the sense of humor in the way the scent and its description play out perfectly on me.

In the imp: ALLLMOND. There's a bit of buttercream and honey, too. But mostly, ALMOND.

Wet: The almond is pretty strong, and I'm getting some of the spiced rum on my skin that is looking to overtake it.

Dry: Spiced rum dominates, followed by the honeyed mead, and then there's the buttercream adding some creaminess in the background, while the hazelnut adds more warmth. There's still a breath of the almond note, but it is not as strong as it was originally. However, that does tend to happen to almond notes on my skin. It ends up being syrup-y sweet on me, and I attribute that mainly to the honey mead, which seems to be growing stronger over time.

Verdict: I typicall enjoy gourmands, but this one is too sickly-sweet on my skin. I'll pass my imp on to a friend that enjoys the Lab's spiced rum note.

Edited by dementia_divine

I was a little curious to try this even though none of the notes are things that I frequent at all. When I was frimped this, it was a nice chance to see that there's a reason I don't frequent these notes. It's incredibly sweet on me! Holy cow it's like someone spilled a high-end dessert table on me. I get a ton of the almond and buttercream, but I can tell there are other things behind it.

I'm not crazy about smelling like sweets, but I'm sure this would be perfect for someone who does.

This blend is so delicious that I actually did little sex noises.

Ahem.

In the vial it's sweet mead and rum, but on the skin there's a wonderfully sweet and poisonous little note of almond, like a sinister marzipan. There's a slight sourness and bitterness later in dry down, possibly from the mead, but on the whole it's rich and delicious.

Started off extremely Cherry Coke, but does evolve with the dry-down. Still a bit too sweet for my tastes, but pleasant overall.

Where I'd wear it: Biker bar