Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dianella

Hunter Moon 2004

... A blend of traditional lunar oils touched with dry leaves, autumn bonfires, warm mulled wine, feral, animalistic notes and the chill of approaching winter.

Origin: Swap over at alchemylab

In the Imp: Pine, cherry and musk. Faintly sweet. Yum.

Wet: Fine pine, slightly woodsy, bit of fir, almost a sweetish smoked berry smell.

Drydown: As above, so below. This is gorgeous, and very raw. In fact, it is precisely the way I'd hoped Samhain would have smelled.

Verdict: I *must* hunt down a bottle. It is divine!

5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrrve

When I was growing up we used to go to this Voyager reenactment in Lafayette, IN every october called "Feast of the Hunter's Moon". There were always bonfires and open fire cooking, tons of merchants w/all kinds of things - wood, and leathers/furs, clothes, and people demonstrating crafts - blacksmithing, candle making, dyework. It was a cacophony of wonderful smells.

And lucky me, this smells just like it. It smells like fall and outdoors and working with your hands. I love it!

I will be selling my soul (or what's left of it) to obtain mass quantities of this scent.

huntermoon.jpg

I smelled Hunter Moon right after Wolf Moon and the comparison brought out the slightly fruity parts of Hunter Moon, I imagine that is the wine component. This one actually reminds me of Wolf Moon quite a bit. I made the icon the color which I think this blend reminds me of, a greyed purple.

somehow I don't get bonfires or leaves out of Hunter Moon, but it is pretty.

Hunter Moon is predominantly the scent of musk and dry leaves. There is a hint of autumnal spice to it, but it’s faint and it’s difficult to catch beneath the heavy scent of dry, autumn leaves. The scent is dark and heavy, and not remotely pretty. It’s not what I’d call a feminine scent, and I don’t see many men being able to wear it, either – perhaps the “outdoorsy” or “woodsy” type men could wear it well. It makes me think of red plaid shirts and lumberjacks. It’s definitely not the kind of scent I would ever wear myself. It had a low level of throw and medium staying power.

I was getting a lot of autumn spices in this. And something that I really can't place. My boyfriend and my roommate's girlfriend both thought it smelled like a head shop. There is definitely the animal musk notes coming out. It is just too heavy and not quite right for me. Oh well.

In the imp? Hmm. I'm not actually sure... wine and animal musk with a touch of kindling smoke. On me, this is fresh kindling and a soft breeze dancing through the leaves with just a dash of animal musk in the background, like horses just upwind of you. Pleasant and refreshing if a bit cool. Warming... OH! *loves* This suddenly turns very animal... horses with a touch of a doggish scent... very much like the fields outside of the stable I used to frequent. Oh, this is... this is outside in all senses of the word. There's a smokey-ember to this as well... Oh this is just lovely.

At first this was too strongly winey, with a metallic, almost fake-grape scent. After a while, though, it settled down to a very dark, woodsy, leafy scent, with a thread of smoke running through it. I don't like it as much as Samhain, but I admit it's what Samhain should really smell like. I'll keep it around for those autumn days.

I get such different take on this one then many others

In the bottle: I get a sweet I think the wine scent, with spices and what gives me images of dried leaves. It is very much a fall scent.

First on: The spice kicks up and there is an almost waxy scent. The spice rises with a cinnamony and something dry and rich behind it. It also still has the wine scent and something slightly smokey. This gives me the image of a sultry woman.

Drydown: This turns into a mulled red wine. The spice tasty warmed in a exotic red wine. It does gain a touch of sweetness but still is red, rich and hot in its scent. I want to drink this one dry or make love to it.

Overall: This is a hot, sexy and oh so yummy interpertation of Fall. This is the scent for kicking up leaves and driving the boys and girls nuts! You would stay very warm with this one.

In Bottle: Smoky wine

On Skin: This is an autumn scent for sure. The wine is the first note I smell… deep and red with a slight spice, followed by smoke. It does smell like a leaf bonfire, amazing how Beth does that. The lunar oils lend a nice smooth feel to this scent… they always seem to be slightly creamy to me and really bring a scent together... I love that! I smell a pine or mint or something herbal that does give the scent a light chill… very nice! The animalistic note is a musk of some sort, soft and fuzzy helping mellow out the herbal/pine note. The wine remains in front and gives the scent a feeling of cheer. As with almost every Autumn/Fall scent I’ve tried, it’s not for me. It is quite pretty, I’d just rather use it as a room scent. Medium to strong throw, average wearlength.

In the bottle: Very spicy, smoky wine, with a crisp green side to it.

Wet: A biting leaf scent and just a hint of walnut, I think. It's a cool blend, I can't smell any wine anymore. There's a headache inducing aquatic in there, too.

Drydown: The leaf scent becomes clearer, purer, and still very crisp - these are freshly fallen leaves blown in the wind, mixing with the smell of bonfire smoke. I still get this walnut smell, which I associate strongly with autumn. Extreme drydown is icy aquatics.

Overall: It's a crisp autumn blend, but it's rather one-dimensional. I get cold aquatics, leaves and a bit of smoke, and hints of spice sometimes. I don't get any wine or musk. It tends to give me a sore throat, as most smoke scents do, and it's not terribly original. I prefer Devil's Night or Wolf Moon, in the same category of scents.

I got an imp of Hunter Moon from my Autumn Switch Witch Diana! :P

It's been a looong time since I've reviewed any BPAL (at least if feels that way), and is seems like my nose have become uneducated during my time away. Please bear with my vagueness.

Wine is a very hit-or-miss note on me. It teeters on the edge of being the same kind of cloyingly annoying fruitiness that I get from currants and berries, or it goes to a nice, dark, somewhat smoky place.

The wine in Hunter Moon is very strictly on the fence between these two extremes. I think the base lunar blend might be what holds it back from going too fruity, but it is also what keeps it from going darker.

Strangely, the smoke part comes across as an aftertaste of graphite pencil shavings in the back of my throat. This note comes out at first, and comes back again hours later.

I have to agree - this is an autumnal blend, but a cold one.

I wasn't sure if would like this when I first sniffed it. I think I was smelling the leaves. It had a men's cologne feel to it. No wine or smoke on me. I've had it on about 2 hours now and it's settled down into a deep, yet gentle animal musk. I still prefer Coyote, but this isn't bad. Definately a guy's scent though. (Which of course means I'll wear it anyway!)

In the bottle: herbs, smokey wine, robust musk.

Wet: something spicy kicks up to the surface mixing with the wine and gives the impression of mulled wine. There is a pine or fir note sitting in the background that gives this scent a true backbone. WOW!

Drydown: this is gorgeous after 30 minutes beyond application. A smoked, sweet berry (almost like juniper berries?) scent somehow rises to the surface and mixes with a leafy, bonfire note. Reminds me of the years I spent as a youngster around the Fall bonfires after dusk where all the scents of the day co-mingle and leave you warm and breathless. Another blend unique to itself and a winner! :P

Starts off as wine and then wine and honey. Quickly dies off to almost nothing - I have to mash my nose into my wrist to smell it. As it wears on, I think I smell patchouli (is that the winter note?), and then it turns into (fortunately faint) patchouli. Stays at patchouli for a long time before finally turning into a faint berry scent and then dying. I really wanted to like this one - I was hoping for mulled wine - but that's way too much patchouli for way too long.

Such a great scent...very characteristic 'bpal' scent. I don't really get the notes listed, except for the wine. It's a deep, musky and smokey purple scent with wine. Wine and grape notes rarely work on me but this is wonderful, a great exception to that rule. It's a nighttime scent. Makes me think of tree branches blowing in the wind, just before a late spring storm (although there's no ozone or even strong woods to my nose....that's just the mood of the scent, the way it makes me feel). This decant will hold a special place in my collection.

I had a bottle of this when it first came out but passed it along because it seemed a little too sour to me. I had an opportunity to get a bottle again recently, thinking I might appreciate it better now. I do!

What were slightly sour wine notes to me three years ago have matured and aged into a much deeper, fruitier wine -- I can almost smell the dust that has accumulated on a wine bottle in the cellar for a long time. Dark, dusty greenery like dried ivy is scattered on the dark ground. I can sense some hint of something like black musk in the background -- slightly powdery, a winding spiral of scent that just creeps up the back of your nose and lingers there. The red-purple grapes have turned more sweet than sour.

There's a bit of a chill in an early autumn forest, right when the humidity has broken and the first hint of frost hangs in the air.

If you didn't like this first time around, seek out some aged, it's done so beautifully!

I'm so glad I finally got my hands on the original version; this one has been very hard to track down!! The first thing I thought when i sniffed this was "Animalistic," and that was before I read the description! So yes, this is very much an animalistic blend, Beth nailed that one right on the head. The strongest notes in this are the smoky, bonfire notes, and dry autumn air. There is a spicy, musky undertone; this must be the mulled wine. It is sharp but pleasantly berry like. The bonfire note in this reminds me very much of the one in Hexxannacht, one of my faves. This seems like a masculine scent to me, and is somewhat strong smelling for a lunacy blend.

This is very haunting, unique, and lovely. I can't wait to try the newer version!

Not sure how I never reviewed this, because it is an absolutely gorgeous blend - I get a rich warm musk, sweet wine and just a pinch of dry smoky leafyness. Even three years later, this is still a beautiful ode to autumn.

I got to try this imp through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle courtesy of Moonarcana!

in imp: dried fruit & spices: almost 'pomander', slight forest smell: pine & oak... this reminds me a bit of a "country store" smell - Kirklands or the like.

on wet: 8:15 - much spicier, right off the bat with a musk that's somehow both sweet and bitter? And pomander fruit or mulled wine/cider in the background.

drydown: 8:30 - fruity now, very mulled wine or cider with only a hint of woods & musk. To me this isn't the hunt in the forest, this is the women at home, preparing the warm wine and cider for their menfolk when they get home.

8:45 - dried pine, mulling spices, soft fur & a lot less fruity. If it'd stay like this I'd love it.

9:20 - dried spiced fruit: pomander again, dry pine & oak planks, just the barest hint of fur. This could strongly remind me of "country store", but the musk almost keeps it from becoming totally that. Almost. All in all, not bad, but I'd like this to be less fruity and more musk-woody.

This was a sniffie from the lovely Siddal

I amp wine. It appears that I also amp mulled wine as that is very much the dominant note here on me. In the background there is a smoky note and I'm guessing there's musk in this because it comes across as very sexy indeed - definitely a scent for evenings and dress ups.

I can see why people love this.

Edit to say - feral animalistic notes = musk. I should have worked that one out!

Edited by LauraB

Sniffed in imp: Sweet wine, smoky woods, and sexy musk. Not my thing but a lovely scent.

Courtesy Moonarcana and the Civeteers:

As with the previously reviewed Debauchery (my first in the civeteer's circle), I'm getting a strange "freshness" from this scent. It's the only way I can think of to describe it, kind of crispy and cool. Which is making me wonder if civet smells "fresh" to/on me, which makes me think I'm weirder than I thought.

Of course, this scent also seems to be tinged with a fir in the initial stages, so perhaps that's where I'm getting it.

So...trees, freshness, and some sort of herbal quality similar to the proverbial Irish spring scent.

This morphs to a spiced muskiness, but that's pretty far down the line. There's a fruitishness too, which must be the wine note that people have spoken of, but it's much less alcoholic for me and more...fresh. There's a certain flatness that enters into it when the muskier part takes over later on, but I keep getting slight wafts of trees.

Again, I'd say not much throw, but that's not unusual for me. The part that does throw is the slight freshness while the darker stuff clings to the surface and requires nose to nook of arm work to explore. Unless that's TMI. :P

Wet: The first note I notice is wine. Sweet, spicy wine.

Dry: as it wears, there’s a touch of evergreen and lots of musk. This smells very much like a fall time scent to me. It smells of crisp autumn days, dried leaves swirling in the wind, a touch of smoke from last night’s bonfire and remnants of wine. Chunks of fruit sit on the picnic table. And we’re definitely outside, there’s a smell of dirt and loam here too. Musk is there too, but slightly muted. This is all about autumnal scents.

Overall: this is so evocative of fall time. The first time I tried this a long while ago I got so absorbed by the wine that I didn’t notice anything else. I’ve so glad that I had a chance to retry this and this is a gorgeous scent!

Thanks to moonarcana and the civeteers!

I do agree that this is a lovely scent.... I think the wine might be blackberry wine, perhaps its the cherry that makes me think that. I get a sweet wine, deep smoky musk and leaves. This has a similar feel in my mind as Mabon does, except it's an animal musk sort of blend.

I actually kinda really like this... but as hard to find as this is, I think I'll just be glad I tested it instead!