Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fireweaver

Before the Snowy Window

Snow-dusted cherry blossom, passion flower, peach musk, and tuberose.

wet and in bottle- fir/evergreenish scent with some vague florals waaaay in the background.
drydown- tree and florals start to mix. Can pick out softness I get from cherry blossoms, but the others mix together with the musk.

It's a bit tree-y for my liking, although the drydown wasn't bad. I'll let it age and see how it goes!

In the bottle--cool floral, with musky tinge

Wet--I get an initial blast of the fruity aquatic snow note familiar from Yellow Snowballs. It's not something I love, so I'm a little nervous.

Dry--The snowy note subsides, or perhaps melts away, and the florals come out. I have mixed experience with the Lab's tuberose, often finding it to be just another sweet floral. Not so here--I think the peach musk adds that rich exotic muskiness I associate with tuberose and love it for. Although there's a certain fruitiness to this blend, I don't pick out any peach in particular. It's really a lovely, well-blended tuberose.

Another success--3 out of 3 Lupers so far are total win!

Gah. NOT what I was expecting. Old lady perfume (I assume that's the tuberose, which never smells right to me) and... pine? Unfortunately, this doesn't change much once the stuff hits my skin. I'm reminded of something out of my grandmother's old perfume cabinet. Yuck. Time to go scrub my wrists.

In the Bottle:

Heavy use of BPAL's 'snow' note

It actually smells more like a Yule blend than a Luper blend.

To me, this smells like 2010's Winter-Time mixed with Nuclear Winter

On my Skin, Wet:

Still heavy snow and a very slight touch of pink blossoms

On my Skin, Dry:

Snow & Sandalwood

(WTF?)

Verdict:

very different for Spring!

A very unique scent that embodies the transition from one season to the next.

On my skin this actually reminds me of a cooler version of Street Festival. The passion flower in this smells very similar, maybe a tinge more floral, than the passionfruit in that, and amps miles over the other notes. I barely get any peach at all though I do sense something vaguely musky. It's not unpleasant, but I was really hoping for more cherry blossom and tuberose.

This blend reminds me a lot of Ondurdis. A bit of sweet fruit burried under a ton of bpal snow. After a couple minutes the cherry blossom does open up a bit, and you can finally smell a bit of fruity musk. I dont dislike this, but it did seem that even after hours in, the snow note was still more prominent than anything else. I have one decant left of this, and that will probly be all I'll need.

Opens with a blast of the typical BPAL snow note and then settles down into a vague floral--I can pick up a bit of tuberose but that's about it. Very faint with little throw.

Strong snow note, almost exclusively at the beginning.Then get a bit of cherry blossom, but almost no musk or tuberose.

It's like cherry blossoms peeking out through the snow at the very end of winter.

Once that infamous snow note's in there, it's all over for me. It's usually all I end up smelling. In the vial, this is 98% snow and something vaguely sweet at the very end. It's probably the cherry blossoms buried in the seemingly heaps of snow. As soon as I apply this to my skin, I can detect something dry and on the woody side hiding behind the snow. Snow and dry wood: two of my least favourite notes. They're two of the more tolerable least favourites, but are still bound to ruin a blend's potential, at least for me.

Oh, this is so pretty.

The snow note is certainly there, but it doesn't overpower everything else like it does for some other reviewers. It's not the same snow note as in Snow White and Pink Snowballs (the only BPAL snow blends I'm really familiar with); there's a bit of ozone there, but the other notes keep it in check. I'm not familiar with passion flower, but when wet, the main players are the snow note and cherry blossom, while a hint of tuberose adds a creamy texture and mellows the snow note.

As it dries, the peach musk comes out but the other notes are still there, though the snow note has faded considerably. It's very evocative of the transition from winter to spring, and this practically thaws on my skin as I wear it. Amazing and beautiful.

In the decant: The icy snow note and some cherry blossom and peach musk. Lovely!

Wet: Boom! There's the tuberose, alas. :(

The dry-down: The cherry blossom is trying to battle its' way back through the tuberose. The peach musk is trying to assist. The icy snow note melted away. This is for the scent locket. Would have been amazing without the harsh tuberose.

Origin: Decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I might be able to wear peach musk without amping it terribly. I'm not sure if the tuberose will behave like rose rose and go skanky-green on me.

In the Vial: A pink floral with the chill of a snow note. Light and pretty.

Wet: The musk comes out as musk does on me, but it's not mowing down the other notes. The chill is there as are the florals.

Drydown: Well, it took a while, but eventually the musk did start to take over the scent. And what is left able to fight back is the chilly note which has morphed into an evergreen note. My impression now is of a very light and pretty Christmas tree.

Verdict: I may keep and finish the decant, but I'm not sure I need a bottle given how many evergreen scents I have already.

Strong snow note at first, but a very pleasant one. This is reminiscent of the recent Yule Ondurdis, though this one fades much more quickly. While it lasts, this is a fresh green floral, and I do like it, but not bottle worthy due to the fast fade factor.

Pine, peach musk and a hint of tuberose.

I was hoping for an icy, chilly snow like from Kingfisher, but this is straight up PINE, mixed with tuberose. Which oddly makes it smell like a bit like a cleanser.

SKIN FAIL.

This sounded good to me up until the tuberose. I usually enjoy snow, cherry blossom and peach notes. Before the Snowy Window smells more pine/evergreen-ish than the usual snows notes on me, though, and the tuberose (of course :/) amps up to join it. I get a little undertone of sweetness from the cherry blossom, but it's not enough to settle down the sharpness of the pine and tuberose.

Pine and perfumey white floral :(

Smells almost exactly like snow angel, only with the cool mentholish note. After a bit, I lose the snow angel sweetness. :( This one just isn't for me.

Well I expected that that will not work for me but i had to try it anyway. flowers and my skin never agree.

It was not super horrible grannyish but it was not me either. very perfumy floral on my skin.

My imp is a decant from the lovely and generous spiresinthesnow.

In the imp: Oil is clear and a pale yellow in color. I can only smell a single note - of pine/ snow.

On me, wet: Pine and now, an even stronger, sinus-clearing, eucalyptus. I chose this blend to try because of the delicate florals and the peach - I hope they will show up!

After 10 minutes: The sharp eucalyptus has vanished, and now it's back to all pine again. There may be some teasing hints of other things starting to come out, though.

After 20 minutes: Nope, not really. There might be the teeny-tiniest hint of peach musk timidly peeping out, but it's so faint that it's just as likely to be my imagination.

After 30 minutes: Yes, the peach musk is now definitely there, to sweeten and balance the pine. And maybe some cherry - the fruit, although there are some florals showing up too. The pine has settled down significantly, but this is still a pine-based scent. It's gentler and much more interesting now.

After 1 hour: The pine has finally agreed to share the limelight, and all the notes (besides pine, they are the musk and some mild florals - the slight fruitiness is gone) are now well-balanced. The overall fragrance has become very soft and subtle.

After 2 hours: The musk has gone powdery, something that it always does on my skin. But I don't have a problem with that. Ditto for the florals, which are barely there now anyway.

After 5 hours: A little powdery musk still remains.

Verdict: I love the concept, and the choice of ingredients evokes it successfully. I also love the artwork. This is a nice pine-and-musk winter fragrance, and my imp is just the right amount for me. The florals are not a strong enough presence here for me to need a full bottle.

My rating: 4 stars

Like other reviewers have said the snow in this does smell like Pine.

The pine begins to fade after a few minutes but it's stil there but now I can smell the peach musk and passion flower coming out and it begins to become a strange combination of sweet fruitiness mixed with pine.

It takes about a good hour for this to really change into something similar to what I would have imagined it to be. The Pine has almost gone leaving a hint of snow, I can actually smell the cherry blossom and the peach and passionflower are in the background giving the slightest amount of sweetness. So, it takes a while for this to morph into something really good.

Edited by becca_s

When I saw the list of ingredients I had to try it. I thought for sure it would be a winner and want several bottles. In the vial it smelled quite strong. On my skin it amped and it smelled like a piney scent which I like but I started to get a headache and my nose stuffed up. So Im not sure about the smells after it dried. I couldn't really smell cherry blossoms or tuberose. No peach for that matter. Sadly I'm allergic to it but would probably wear it if I didn't have a reaction to it. I'm allergic to most things btw out of the 60 things they poked my back with they all swelled . That is why I wear oils and a very limited number of perfumes that I guess bother me the least.

i bought this one because i love cherry blossom and was intrigued by the peach musk. i don't get a ton of cherry blossoms- they seem more snow-covered than dusted, to be honest! the snow is a cold piney blast with some sweet florals and musk. it's a really wintery scent and it kind of tickles my nose. not my favorite of the shungas, i'm afraid.

Bottle: Tuberose and BPAL’s snow-y note. And something almost sour? It makes my nose scrunch.

Wet: Almost identical to the bottle, though the sour note disappears very quickly. It’s all covered by the snow-ish note for now.

Drying: There’s the cherry blossom! It’s surprisingly strong, compared to the other notes. I can smell the sweetness from the peach coming out too.

Dry: I’ll be honest- I don’t know what passion flower smells like but I have to assume that this is it. I don’t want to say it makes it tropical, but there’s something akin to that feeling there. Like a very powerful flower that takes over, but not the tuberose (to my surprise!). The cherry blossom is still there, lightly above the rest, and the sweet peach lingers around. The snow note has receded now, as if just seen outside a window.

Verdict: I really like this. It’s definitely something I can see me wearing for a date night with the boyfriend.

Imp: So i just smelled a scent last night for another brand that was supposed to blend herbs that smell like cheesecake? It smelled all medicinal and overpowering and omg in my face I maybe almost puked a little. Anyways - In the imp I smelled that note. UGH. But, it's not blended like a crazy person so I'ma try this anyways.... herbal and tart in the imp. Scaring me.

Initial Skin: mmm good. Back to bpal yum. This is herbal floral, with a ... well duh but a peach musk. This is the first time a musk is as self evident as the name suggests. It's peach, but no juicy ness just the scent, musked up to make it feel dusted over skin.

Drydown: Oh wow. These all start to really meld together for me. It's floral-dominant but not powdery or overpowering, with a gentle dusting of fruit. Medium sillage (I would call it appropriate distance), very sexy feminine as the lupers tend to go. Peach becomes more prominent as time moves. Really love this peach musk thing happening. LOVE it.

Verdict; Winter florals rolled in sexy mushed peaches.