Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Coconut, white amber, hazelnut, and anise.

bottle: coconut & hazelnut. :yum:

wet: beautiful. a sweet blend of coconut and hazelnut touched with a tiny hint of anise. the amber is just tying the whole thing together and just sings on my skin.

dry: as this dries, the notes blend perfectly. it's a smooth, lightly-nutty blend that i will wear all spring.

This yummy. In the bottle and wet, this smells like a really good, heavy on the coconut, Piña Colada. As it dries, I start getting some anise (a note I was worried about) but it blends really well with the other notes and I think it might be what's making me think of booze? The white amber amps the longer it's on my skin (love white amber), the hazelnut is also well-blended and turns the coconut scent into a drier, husky-type.

I find this one a mainly coconut scent, if the notes listed weren't listed I'd have thought this was fresh, creamy, meaty coconut husk with a dash of booze. Sadly, it's on the verge of turning plasticky on me, coconut does this sometimes on my skin.

Coconut! Delicious, creamy, fresh coconut. It's gorgeous.

In the bottle: Coconut with just a hint of anise in the background.

On my skin: This didn't morph on me from wet to dry. It's a beautiful and soft coconut scent. Not picking up too much else but this is so lovely, I have found my go to BPAL coconut. :)

ETA: This has shot up my faves list. I think I can safely say it's my favorite of this year's Lupers.

Edited by Antoinette

Coconut and hazlenut in the bottle. On my skin, coconut, hazlenut, and anise. Basically, with my skin chemistry, an utter disaster.

This perfume started out as crisp, fresh coconut. Oh, I was so deeply in love. But within ten minutes, the spots on my arms where I tested the oil were bright red and burning. Wow. That's a first for my BPAL tests. I braved the burny part to see what would happen and within an hour the perfume turned to full-on baby powder. :cry2:

I like this a lot. It is what I was hoping Paper Kite would be, without the plasticy undertone. Winner!

Harigata II - This is lots of sweet coconut with the tiniest bit of anise in the background. I don't smell any amber or hazelnut at all. Not a drop. It dries down to a soft, sweet coconut scent, pretty much a single note. Unfortunately, the coconut in this goes a little plasticky on me, as coconut often does. If I was a bigger fan of coconut scents in general, it would make an awesome scent locket scent. I think coconut lovers have to try this one!

In the bottle and on my skin, this is heavy, buttery, sweet (can be a bit cloying) coconut cream. I love coconut scents lately, so I like this, but I was really hoping for some of the anise and hazelnut, and for the amber to give it less of a foodie edge. And I don't smell any of the other listed notes at all. Not even a hint of anything non-coconut.

Harigata II is buttery, intensely sweet coconut cream from start to finish, with no anise, amber, or hazelnut to be found. I'll like this for layering with other scents, but it's honestly a bit of a letdown that I can't smell any of the other notes.

Extremely sweet, candy-like coconut and hazelnut. A light anise note emerges in the drydown but it's not strong enough to keep the coconut and hazelnut from being cloying and a little bit on the fake side. If this were a piece of candy, it would be delicious; as a perfume it's just too sickly-sweet. Good staying power, though!

This is my Shunga winner for the year! :D

Now, my skin has a tendency to amp sweets, so this smells much more like coconut macaroon, less like fresh coconut. If I concentrate on huffing my wrist, I can detect the slight nuttiness and the hint of anise blending with the coconut (the white amber is basically undetectable, but I imagine that will change with time). The combination really sings on my skin: it's creamy and comforting, but still light enough to wear in the office and as the weather warms.

Love.

This is going to sound weird but after about a half hour of wearing this, it smells exactly like musky coconut cream on me. And......I.......LOVE IT.

How are people not going batshit crazy over this? I briefly sniffed it in the bottle before I got it home, and although it was lovely, I got mostly coconut. Once I skin tested it, I could pick out hazelnut and something that gave it a little depth, which I'm guessing was anise although it didn't have the 'OMFGANISELIKEWHOA' effect that it usually does for me. Not a fan of anise. Anyway, it ended up being a creamy, musky dark coconut scent with medium throw and plenty of sexiness. :wub2:

Origin: decant circle

Initial Thoughts: Coconut always makes me stop and read the rest of the notes. I'm hoping that like white sandalwood and white musk that white amber will play nicely on my skin. I'm not hugely fond of hazelnuts in my chocolate, but that's entirely different. Anise is a question mark.

In the vial: Rich, deep and sexy coconut, and then the hazelnut or anise steps up and adds another level of sexy.

Wet: Very coconut, with all the other notes working behind it to make it incredibly sultry and nuanced.

Drydown: The anise rises to the top, and practically drowns the coconut. And I discover that I don't care so much for straight anise. Phooey.

Verdict: I might use the rest of the decant in a scent locket, but this one isn't for me.

Harigata II opens with a really good creamy coconut note that smells exactly like Lush's Trichomania shampoo.

The amber smells like soft clean skin.

Hazelnut adds depth and warmth.

The anise is not too strong. It adds a clean tea-like quality to the scent.

Harigata II is so good. Definitely my favorite of this year's Lupercalia scents, and also my favorite coconut scent. :wub2:

Placing this one up there with Beanman and Beanwoman from last year and Tiki Princess as absolutely gorgeous and easy to wear coconut blends!

This is a slightly nutty, warm coconut.. almost sandalwoody because it feels brown with the hazelnut. I don't really get any anise on my skin, weird. So comfy and pleasant

Yay, my second winner of the Shungas! :D I get a lot of soft, creamy coconut and warmly nutty hazelnut on a bed of slightly sweet and musky white amber, with just a hint of anise to finish. This isn't an in-your-face herbal anise scent at all. It's actually rather comforting.

This starts out a delicious coconut with just a hint of hazelnut and anise. The white amber is very mellow and I think it's what helping this from being too sweet.

It does remind me of the Deathly Pride a bit, but perhaps a more feminine version. It does go through a slightly off phase. Not quite plastic or chemical, but just a bit harsh. That fades though and the amber takes over. Once it's fully dry it's mostly a creamy, slight sweet amber scent. Very pretty and feminine without being too girly or sophisticated.

This is more of a late summer night scent as opposed to a coconut beachy scent. Very nice but I actually have something that is very close to it, so I might pass on buying a full bottle. I do like it though, so if I can find one to swap for I doubt I would say no. :)

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Bottle: Very strong coconut, much sharper than the coconut in say.. Tiki King. Definitely get the anise, but not much else.

Wet on Skin: Coconut, and the licorice has come out to play much more. There seems to be some hazelnut in the background, but the anise is overpowering it.

Dry Down: The amber seems to come out and play more. The scent seems to get more warm as it goes on, but I can't get past the anise.

Overall: 3.5/5. This is a great one for coconut lovers, and though I like coconut, it was a little too dark for me as a scent. I don't think I could get past the anise, as I hate hate hate licorice.

I love coconut and this one does not disappoint on me. As Amaranthus noted above, it smells--at least on me--*exactly* like LUSH's Trichomania solid shampoo, which has always been a dry but not dusty coconut on me, like dessicated coconut almost.

I put this on and I smell coconut and anise most predominantly. As the anise wears off, the hazelnut comes out more to play. It's definitely light on me--I have to put my wrist near my nose to smell it, but when I do, it's just beautiful. This is the best of the Shungas this year for me!

This would be my HG coconut scent if it weren't for that pesky anise note. That said, once the anise burns off. . it's a lovely creamy sweet coconut that I adore. Sadly, it only last long enough to become that on my chest. But man. . it's amazing there. . . for a loooong time!

Ummmm.... Ok. Who put Paduan Killer Swarm in my Harigata decant? Come on, fess up. Not funny, people.

Yeah. There's something about these 2 scents that don't really work for me. Must be the anise/coconut combo. *sob*

eta: Over a year later, I swapped for a half bottle. The dusty coconut backs down soon after application and becomes a buttery coconut. Then the hazelnut slowly comes out, followed by anise. Coconut fades a bit. After about 2-2.5 hours, it is the perfect blend of all 3 (I don't know what white amber smells like). And it lasts! If I can get past the first half hour of dusty musty coconut, this is a lovely scent.

Edited by surlygurl

This is a smooth, coconut and hazelnut blend. There's a faint hint of anise in it, but I mainly get creamy coconut and hazelnut.

Definitely not for me.

Mmm. Bought a bottle of this after testing.

Wet: creamy coconut, hazelnut and anise. Lovely complexity and simplicity at the same time

Drydown: creamy coconut, warm hazelnut, and sweet light white amber. The anise has moved to the background. I love this one.

In the decant: Anise and amber, oh dear.

Wet: Yay, there's the coconut! And the lovely nut!

The dry-down: A lovely hazelnut blend, with the coconut adding some sweetness, and the amber and anise keeping the nut note in check. This is not as intensely SN Hazelnut as Cristina; in fact, it's as though Cristina and Snow White had a love child in the springtime. :) Upgrading to a bottle!