Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is a Mexican paean to La Huesuda: dry, crackling leaves, the incense smoke of altars honoring Death and the Dead, funeral bouquets, the candies, chocolates, foods and tobacco of the ofrenda, amaranth, sweet cactus blossom and desert cereus.

DDLM 2006:

The upper note is very sweet, candy and flowers. There's an earthiness hiding underneath, I would guess that as the leaves and incense. Not any change that I noticed from wet to dry. Faded almost completely in about five hours.

Af first sniff I liked this scent, but after wearing it to work today I find it a little unsettling. It's a touch too sweet. I don't think this one is for me.

(edited to add description) Edited by Shollin

I have versions from 04, 05, and 06 on various parts of my arm right now, to compare them all.

04 version: Wet, it's sweet, only faintly floral, and it has a dry scent that I think is from tobacco? It's quite different from the 05 and 06 versions. It smells full and deep, and it's entirely pleasant. I can smell the chocolate in it. A very comforting scent. It does get a little smokier when it's fully dry, but it still has that wonderful rich scent underneath.

05 version: Wet, it's sharper than 04. It has more of a planty scent to it. It also smells like it has more incense in it than the 04 version. I think the reason I don't like this one as well is that it doesn't seem as complex as 04. It smells like a very even sweet, dry incense that doesn't morph much. When it's dry it has a pretty floral overtone but I'm not really a big fan of the floral + incense combination.

06 version: Wet, it's very similar to 05 but sweeter. Dry, it's not as floral as 05, but still quite similar. This one seems the most perfumey of all of them.

Although I think they're all great artistic interpretations, the 04 version is by far my favorite, and I'm not surprised at all that it's more popular than the more recent versions. 05 and 06 kind of have an over-the-top sweet incensey scent that's a little too much for me, and 04 doesn't. Maybe 04 just works best with my skin chemistry.

This is really nice - sweet, incensy floral on me. It is very warm and not dry at all. I don't get any food notes although it gets sweeter as it dries. I have an '05 decant and tried it 5/07 so this must age very well! I love it! Does not disappear on my skin when mixed with some sweet almond oil. For me, a perfect scent for autumn so I will save this for then and hope it comes back in 2007. I would be very happy to have a version that sounds like the '04 - less sweetness in the dry down.

Edited by gailprentice

In the bottle Dia De Los Muertos is a complex floral with a kick of incense. Initially I'm worried. Where are all the spices and chocolate and pan dulces and goodies?

On the skin it warms up almost immediately. Still predominantly an incense and floral scent, but with spiciness and the underlying aroma of baked treats. No chocolate at all, sadly.

As it dries down and fades a few hours later, I catch a bit of tobacco and cocoa. Reminiscent of Tezcatlipoca.

What a lovely, intricate scent! Not at all what I was expecting, but I'm so glad I got a 5mL. :P

DDLM is the exact capturing of autumn in a bottle. It is leaves and decay, cold nights, howling winds, long shadows, and the scent of woodsmoke on the air. I smell incense, too!

This scent got a 5 out of 5 rating on my scent reviews spreadsheet. Lovely autumn scent and it is mine, all mine!

In the (2005) bottle this smells interesting, and I can pull out little wafts of the components listed in the description. On my skin, I get serious bouquet with some foody/tobacco/chocolate hints floating around the edges. I get no autumn air, nor smoke of any kind. :P The flowers smell heady and purple. This is a "dark" scent, which I like. Unfortunately, I don´t like florals and my skin amps them (of course). In addition I never get to experience any of the elements that are conceptually so cool. I never wear this. I have tried over time, and the flowers just seem to get stronger, so I have finally decided that this is going into my swap pile. Boo...

2007 version

This one starts out a little sharp on me. At first when it's wet on my skin it's very dry and smoky with a dry leafy type of feel to it. As it dries, I start getting a sweet but dry wine note and the smokiness becomes a wafting incense scent. There might be florals mixed in, but I can't identify anything in particular.

After a while, a light spiciness starts to appear and the blend smooths out a bit more. It's a very appropriate Autumn/Halloween scent.

As someone who amps sweet usually, this scent really does not get overly sweet at all. It is very strong though and it doesn't take a lot to leave you super scented.

ETA: I put some on tonight and this is my 3rd time wearing it. The deep but dry wine note I'm getting has faded a little and it's starting to smell a little floral... almost like a deep and fruity champaca scent. It's hard for me to tell though so I'm sticking with wine, but it might get more floral on others.

Edited by Delirium1009

For the 2007 version...

This was the fragrance I was most excited about when I placed my Halloween order. I love the concept and all the notes sounded like they would be a unique mixture on my skin. I tore into my package today and slathered this on before even opening my other bottles.

It starts out smelling strongly of heavy incense and a peculiar smokey dryness. The smell of musky florals is sitting right at the top too. It thankfully doesn't have the cloying sweetness I was dreading. I feel like I'm being overwhelmed by the notes in this so much that I am having odd sensations. It has an atmospheric quality that makes me feel like I'm in the midst of a pressing crowd of people, and the smells wafting around are all foreign to me, and yet I know every single one.

Some light fruit appears as it settles down, and it feels more familiar. The incense is so beautiful and intense....it tempers the emerging sugar sweetness. The floral notes are fading quietly into musk and tobacco.

This is powerfully evocative for me....it reminds me of growing up so close along the border to Mexico. These smells are so exact they cannot be anything else to me. It's comforting but very sensual and exotic. I am so thrilled with this. I couldn't have imagined this being better.

On me, Dia de los Muertos '07 smelled like floral with a little bit of incense. I was on the fence about keeping it when it started to burn. So, off it goes.

ETA: Even though I washed it off a couple of hours ago, I can smell cocoa powder on my wrists. Not bad.

Edited by whiterosepetals

Ok, so this is a stretch for me. I don't really like cactus. Probably because I've never smelled anything I really like where that is a main ingredient. But this has a nice floral over top of everything else, and then there's the tobacco which I LOVE. I like this. It could become a top runner for my Autumn faves. We'll see. I don't really appreciate the chocolate, but it does kind of work itself in there somewhat complimentary. Maybe it's just my skin that makes the chocolates go weird sometimes. Overall, a keeper. I'm anxious to let it age and see what it becomes.

In the bottle:

Sweet florals.

Wet:

The same, at first. Then something that's either spicy or soapy, but I can't tell which yet.

Dry:

Hmm, spicy AND soapy? Maybe I will let this one age a bit and try it again.

Edited to add:

I guess I was a little too impatient. It dries down rather nicely. I will try this again after a week or so and try to remember to update this review.

Edited by n3m3sis42

Very floral on me, with jasmine coming out a lot. It isn't 100% jasmine, not by any means, but one me it's close. I am sad that I am such a J-Magnet here.

(07 version)

This was fine, lightly floral and sweet, with a little bit of spice, the first time I tested it on my arm. However, when I put it on my wrists to wear as a single scent, practically all I could smell for an hour and a half was jasmine..and not a sweet jasmine, a sharp, headache inducing one. *sigh* I might try it once more but I think that experience has tainted DDLM for me..

Dia De Los Muertos 2007 - This year's blend is different from previous versions of DDLM. It's predominantly cactus and incense on me and I smell no chocolate whatsoever (SCORE!) It's got a hint of tobacco to the overall smoky incense scent, which is brightened by the sweet cactus flower. This is my favorite of all the DDLM blends, and I'm delighted to have a full bottle of it. It's got above-average throw and about average staying power.

Dia de los Muertos 2007

Bottle: Faint night florals...

On/wet: Still the florals, but it seems to be warming a bit. The floral is very clean, with a hint of something sweet beneath it.

Drydown: Hmmm! Still sweet, with what seems to be a dry cocoa powder and fragmented bits of sugar in it. There seems to be a faint incense-tobacco note in it too, and a floral which smells light a lighter, cleaner sort of gardenia (not that I have any problem with gardenia, but it gets really heavy on me...) Overall, a floral-cocoa combo... :D anyhow, :P

Edited by YoakeNoKami

05 version.

Bottle: Some mixture of sweet alcohol and floral soap.

Wet: Plasticky wine and floral.

Drydown: Plastic wine and floral. I keep hoping it'll change.

Dry: Faded plastic wine and floral.

My rating: 1/5. Not going to try this year's either. Chocolate notes tend to turn to plastic on my skin. Ugh.

DDLM 07 is a tragic disappointment. I love with a passion DDLM 06 and have been wearing it a lot recently thinking I could stock up again with this years version. But no :P :D DDLM 07 has jasmine or somesuch in it and I amp jasmine until it is the only note that can be smelled. No cactus, no cereus, no chocolate or incense smoke, just jasmine. I am SO sad about this.

DDLM 2005 - pure jasmine headache :D

DDLM 2006 - too scared (and dumb!) to try for fear of previous year's experience :P

DDLM 2007 - straight sniff from the bottle *is* jasmine, however; once applied

this warms up to a sultry, seductive, somewhat spicy scent with the jasmine playing

ever-so-nicely in the pumpkin patch far, far away :D

this is a tremendous morpher on me ... dried floral and smoke take over after 30 minutes

or so; an incense touch to boot...

i am gushing and completely thrilled i took the chance on DDLM 2007...a total winner this year!!

thank you beth :)

DDLM07:

In the vial: mmmmm, sexy men's cologne. As my friend who tried it out said "This is the smell of a good man."

On the wrist: chocolate, incense and the smell of tobacco? It's still a bit too masculine for me. My friend smelled of spicy hot cocoa.

Dry down: Oh no! Nothing but head ache inducing tobacco! Wah! On my friend it began to smell like leather shoe..

Dry: *washes with make-up remover and soap* My friend began to complain because it smelled like WET old leather shoe.

Oh well, I bought this for a friend who is making an altar for our DDLM themed party. It will smell pretty in an oil burner.

DDLM twenty-aught-seven:

In the bottle: Smoky, with a layer of sweet underneath. I want to say Star fruit, but I have the feeling it's cactus fruit. Either way, yummy!

On me wet: The smoky note is amped slightly- It's like someone threw the starfruit onto a bonfire.

on me Dry: Oh. My. Word. This is EXACTLY what I wanted O to smell like on me-it's like honey powder, and powder in a good way, not a "I smell like I'm doused in Johnson and Johnson's." way; and honey in a nice and pretty, non-cloying way.

DDLM 07, WHY are you a limited edition? you smell so good on me....

I haven't been able to wear DDLM in the past but decided to try this year's because of the sweet cactus. It. worked! It smells spicy and a touch sweet on me and Beth's scents with tobacco always seems to work. I don't like Jasmine at all but this is not cloying at all, it just blends nicely together and for some reason is very calming to me. I'm going to try it at night before bed. Another bottle for me before this goes away!

2005 Version:

:D SWEET MAMAJAMAS... Oh boy... this is soooooooo shugahboogah sweetness richness yummy good schtuff! I luckily got a bottle this year ('07) of prime, aged to perfection '05 DdlM MAGIC... grabbin' my bottle - here's the breakdown:

Oh, you putty, putty label... cute lil' farker! And that text... as someone who regularly dicks around in graphic design, I loves me some funky Western fonts, heh heh! Grand choice!

ItB: GLORIOUS, blooming, golden yellow/orange flowers... TOBACCO, BABY... lossalossatobakky! :D And some kinda ripe, candied fruit smell... but I don't know what the heck the fruit is... my nose says apples... but the tobacco could be teasing me and making me lie.

Wet on der skin: More of the same... but SMOOOOKAYYYYY... and RICH... verah, verrrrrah RICH!

Drydown: Uh-huh, more of the same.... a little bump in the sweetness, a little mellow-out on the tartness of the fruity feel... and a nice lingering smokey wafting of tobacco/foody/floral that is juuuuussst right. :P C'est si bon... umph!

5/5, fo sho... staying power is swell, throw is superb... and random peeps will stalk you for sniffs (and therefore, you can play BPAL evangelist, which is always fun... Go tell it on the mountain, anyone?)

evilmistressoftoast had a (wonderful) decant circle and i asked for the emoty of Dia de los Muertos. There was a wee bit left over, so I was able to try it out.

in the bottle: A good whiff of floral is predominant, but there's also this secondary scent of spicy and chocolate

wet: spicy floral. Actually, i hate floral scents and this one isn't bad at all. Whatever "the candies" is supposed to be, is coming out on top.

dry: spice, floral, candy, and every now and then, a little chocolate.

verdict: 4 out of 5 I'm not a big fan of floral; i avoid them at all cost, but this scent really works for me. Still, I wish the secondary scents were stronger.

edit: trying this again and again, I really grew to love the floral scent. It's a bit much in the bottle, but on me it really morphed into this sensual mixture of everything in the description. the florals are still on top, but the incense, tobacco, food, and candies play wonderfully against my skin. simply amazing.

Edited by lamenteuse

In the bottle: I get flowers, with a hint of sweetness behind. Can't quite pin down a particular floral: maybe Jasmine? Or maybe that's the cactus blossom? (Based on vague memory on the ingredients of my one Aveda perfume...)

On me, wet: um... still a flower -- again, maybe Jasmine, maybe cactus blossom, maybe even Gardenia? -- but now with a faint cloud of tobacco behind it.

5 minutes later: still mostly floral. It's a complex floral, though, which is kind of putting me at a loss for words...

About an hour later: still mostly floral, with whispers of tobacco and -- I think -- dark chocolate. I mostly get said whispers only when I press my nose against my arm. I see what people are saying about it being incensy. I wouldn't have used that word myself, as it's not All Souls incensy, if you know what I mean. Overall, I'm not huge on florals, but this one works on me. It's complex and warm and autumn-y. (Rather stating the obvious, no?) Good stuff.