Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

POMEGRANATE I
Pomegranate, poet's jasmine, and benzoin.

Pomegranate I - This is gorgeous. It's a beautiful, sweet pomegranate. The benzoin is far beneath the pomegranate, but gives the scent warmth, depth, and texture. And then there's the jasmine... jasmine can sometimes be scary on me, and it's pretty strong in the bottle, but it turns out to be balanced beautifully with the other notes and once it's on my skin, it harmonizes perfectly with my skin chemistry. This is a gorgeous fruity-floral scent that I just can't get enough of. It really packs a punch (a pretty punch!) when I first put it on, but once it dries, it has a pretty low level of throw and the staying power seems to be slightly below average. I :heart: it.

Pom I is a nice fruity scent with a hint of sweetness and a hint of floral. I like it but it's really not me. I can't see myself wearing this so I don't think I will be keeping the imp. The wear length is also quite short on me. It starts off strong, but it was completely gone not even five hours after I had applied. It actually reminded me a bit of The Fruit of Paradise, but I like The Fruit of Paradise MUCH better then this.

Pom 1 goes on strong but mellowed out to be quite a nice fruity scent. I like it but not quite enough to purchase a bottle so I'll use my imp, will be a nice one around the holidays.

Wet: jasmine

On skin: lots of jasmine and nothing else

Half-hour later: a little bit resiny from the benzoin, but still lots of jasmine

In conclusion: is it possible to be punched in the face by a flower? Jasmine punches me in the face (and I was light in applying). I'm hearing Lou Reed sing "Vicious / You hit me with a flower." Wish the pomegranate showed up in this one.

Okay, when I first opened the decant, the jasmine slapped me right in the face. Whoa! Woe! I wanted to like this one! However, never underestimate the power of skin testing. On the skin, the pomegranate and benzoin really come forward. It dries down very evenly, with the ingredients in perfect balance. That being said, for me the jasmine is still just too piercing. Pass.

In the IMP it is absolutely amazing – very sweet with sharp hints of pomegranate. On my skin I am very happy that it smells exactly the same. Sweet sweet pomegranate with small hints of minty coolness coming through from the benzoin and a slight sweetness from the jasmine. Overall a very pretty fruity scent full of sophistication. I :heart: this.

The only jasmines that bother me these days are the high sharp types, where it goes straight to the top of my nose and has no warm, sultry body underneath it. This is not that type of jasmine, at least not on me. Honestly, I was more concerned about the pomegranate, which sometimes turns sour on my skin. My first test swipe of this got a bit sour, but that phase faded quickly and can be avoided, I think, if I apply a bit less oil than my normal slather.

Overall, this was for me a beautiful, more or less even mix of warm blooming jasmine on a balmy evening and pomegranate juice, with just a hint of vanilla-y smoothness from the benzoin underneath. And it's fantastic in my scent locket!

Edited by spanishviolet

This is my least favorite of the Pom scents. Jasmine is an iffy note for me. I love it when it's a sweet, gentle floral note, but hate it when it's a sharper version of jasmine. The jasmine note here reminds me of why I hate jasmine. It's so intense, sharp, slightly smoky, and unpleasant smelling on my skin. The pom comes out in the drydown and adds a sour aspect to the jasmine that just makes it worse.

The intense, sharp, perfumey jasmine + sour pom is awful and headache inducing for me. I had to scrub this one off. :sick:

Mostly jasmine, prevented from becoming completely sociopathic by the benzoin, with juicy pomegranate hovering somewhere between the two. My nose is telling me that this is the same jasmine note that was used in Peach Moon and the two blends do kind of seem like they could be cousins. I'm one of the six or so people on the planet who really dig jasmine, but I can definitely see why people are feeling abused by it. I'm kinky like that, I guess. ;)

I tend to love the poemegranate scents but they can be a bit sharp. For me, the jasmine softens the tartness of the pomegranate without lessening the impact and the overall effect is sweet and warm without being too floral. Mine came from the bottle, not a decant, so it's possible that may change the effect.

In the Bottle: yup, that's jasmine

Wet on Skin: The jasmine isn't going totally evil, but it is still drowning out the other notes.

While Drying: Jasmine and benzoin. Pom is nowhere to be found. The benzoin seems to be keeping the jasmine in check, but this is still too perfumey and jasmine heavy for my taste.

After a Little While: Whaaat?! Can it be?!! The pom has made an appearance, but even stranger, THIS ACTUALLY SMELLS LIKE THE REAL JASMINE FLOWER instead of the evil doom that I usually get with jasmine scents.

Later: Fairly quick fade. It is mainly a skin-close scent at this point. There is a slight sourness to it now.

Final Thoughts: Someone else mentioned a similarity to the jasmine note in Peach Moon. They are listed as different types (night-blooming vs poet's), however Peach Moon is the only other blend containing jasmine that I can wear (so far). It must be something about the fruit-jasmine combo that keeps the jasmine in check. I had very low expectations for this blend, so I was happily surprised.

Pomegranate I earns a 3/5 on my skin.

Pomegrante and benzoin. I get a whiff of jasmine on wet, but its almost straight up POMEGRANATE. As it dries, I get a little more of the benzoin.

Pass.

Fresh on my skin I get the jasmine from Lilith & the Jarocho *wrinkles nose*. But the pom blends right in and makes it all ok. Then I get something... creeping... slowly coming up from behind. It's the benzoin, and it's gently grounding the sweet pom/floral. I could really like this. But the the benzoin takes center stage and does a duet with the pom. Jasmine sits off the side of the stage and pouts. After a bit I think "I could get used to this" when it changes yet again. The benzoin backs off and the pom is the star of the show. Benzoin is still grounding this scent, making it grown up & sexy, but pom is the star.

Wow. This needs further testing. Lots of it.

This is AMAZING. The pomegranate starts out intensely sweet, but the jasmine balances it perfectly, lending a smooth, round floral note. In the end, I'd call this a jasmine blend, but the pomegranate keeps it from running rampant (as jasmine often does). I kind of wish this was a tea blend, because it's beautifully juicy even as the jasmine lends some sophistication.

Source: decant

In the decant: rich fruity pom, with hints of herbal benzoin and sharp, high jasmine

Wet: STRONG, heavy, and heady, a balance of the three notes, but all of them are smacking me upside the head.

Dry: It does mellow a little as it dries, but it's just too heavily fruity floral for me in the end, though I'm impressed with the balance of the three notes.

Bad BAD jasmine! I should have known you'd spoil this one.

Pomegranate is a note I love, but unfortunately I amp jasmine terribly.. so the uber-strong jasmine combined with the benzoin is creating a sour, nasty dirty toilet smell for me. Nice it is not. Keep I won't.

Pomegranate I is pretty much straight-up pom on my skin. It's like Swank (which I ADORE) minus the booze. Perfect! :wub2:

I swapped for a bottle of this on a whim-the only of the Poms I had tested had been Pom II, which I really enjoyed, so I figured I'd give this one a shot, since I like all three of the notes in it.

In the bottle I mostly get jasmine. While I like jasmine, I really hope it's still a Pom blend and not a jasmine blend and that the jasmine calms down on my skin!

Nooooooooooooooo. On my skin this is SO jasminey! I can smell the pom underneath the jasmine, but it is buried soo deep under the heady heady jasmine. Again, I don't dislike jasmine, but sometimes it's just too much, and here, unfortunately, it's too much.

Drydown is the same. Wayyy too much jasmine :( Almost straight jasmine. Not enough pom :(

Wasn't too sure if I would like this, as it contains jasmine. However, Pom 1 is surprisingly yummy. It's juicy wet pomegranates with benzoin. The poet's jasmine is hardly detectable. Unfortuantely though I spoke too soon. As soon as it dries the delicious pom disappears and jasmine pushes through. And keeps pushing through to the point where I am huffing and gagging. *shivers*

I couldn't wash it off faster.

Edited by Schmoozy

Ugh, cloying heady jasmine. I may get a teeny bit of pom at first, but this blend ends up being all about the jasmine. Not for me.

In the bottle - The slightly ammonia scent of the jasmine with just a hint of pomegranate

Wet on me - Mostly jasmine still, but slightly muted by the pomegranate

Dry on me - The jasmine dominates

Overall - Jasmine used to be a death note for me and whilst I'm becoming more tolerant of it in certain blends this just doesn't do it for me

Pomegranate I

On: Lovely, lovely jasmine. Sweet and heady. I'm not getting any pomegranate or benzoin.

Half an hour in: Sweet, light jasmine.

1.5 hours in: Still is still all pretty, light jasmine on me.

3.5 hours in: Still all jasmine.

Overall: This is a single note jasmine on me, but it's incredibly pretty, soft, and light, not overpowering at all.

This is almost a single note pomegranate scent on me, but just nuanced enough to be a beautifully simple fruity floral. I like Fruit of Paradise, but it never quite grabbed my attention. This smells almost the same, but it's lightened and given more depth of character by the jasmine. The jasmine is pretty well balanced with the pomegranate. I'm tempted to say that the pom is stronger, but I think the jasmine becomes stronger as it wears.

The benzoin, oddly, seems not to stand out as much as it did when it was new. I love benzoin because it's vanilla-like but has a sharpness, so it behaves quite differently in a blend. It adds vanilla without sweetness, without making a scent gourmand. Sadly, I can't detect much vanillin here, but the resiny quality helps to anchor the perfume and blends well with the bitter edge of the pomegranate. Benzoin only gets better with age, so I have high hopes.

Basically, you'll get exactly what you expect from this. The jasmine is a light, sweet, and delicate sort of jasmine. It isn't as heavy and cloying as some jasmines can be. If you like jasmine and you like pomegranate, it's pretty hard to go wrong here.

I ordered this un-sniffed as part of the Grove, and then I had second thoughts and fretted til delivery. I should have trusted my instincts, though. Although I'm part of the anti-jasmine tribe, 'poet's jasmine' is not the same note. This is beautifully wearable, with the jasmine and the pomegranate (which I don't have any trouble with) weaving seamlessly together. I can never pick out benzoin as a specific note, so I can't comment on that element.

Overall impression: Soft, sweet, pale yellow with a darker red beneath. Feminine and somewhat traditional - very easy to wear in public.