Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
freneticfloetry

The Anti-Saloon League

THE ANTI-SALOON LEAGUE
Our version of a Black Cow, a 1920’s virgin thirst-quencher: sarsaparilla and cream.

In the bottle: Similar to a few milk-based blends at first sniff (Milk Moon '05, Nonae Caprotina, The Phantom Cow), but with a little kick that's intriguing.

Wet: Goes on like the aforementioned milk blends, then immediately rounds out a bit. The sarsaparilla kicks in just enough green to ground it.

Drydown: Oooh, it gets better. There's a mysterious whiff of something sweet...

Dry: It's not milky at all anymore. It's creamy and delicious and I want to eat my hand. Omnomnom.

Yes, I'm aware that this is a completely unhelpful review. Edited by Shollin

On the skin: Oooh! A Root Beer Float! Smells tasty!!

This one smells so yummy! Doesn't really change much as time goes on. It just keeps on smelling like a yummy root beer float! I want one now.

:yum:

-ETA- Okay, I am not sure how it is possible, but this scent has become even yummier! The cream just keeps sticking around making this scent so yummy! The sarsaparilla gets a bit... spicier, but the cream complements it perfectly! It really is quite amazing! This is also amazing because with the exception of Glowing Vulva, cream and milk notes go quite sour on me.

-ETA2- This scent is still going strong! It has gotten even creamier and doesn't really remind me of a Root beer float anymore. It is just an indescribable, creamy, sweet, lovely, and yummy scent! *swoon*

-ETA3- Okay, I got the SO to sniff this one and he rated it at a 10. He NEVER rates anything above an 8!! This one is a keeper!

Edited by Catseyes

In the bottle this stuff is amazing, a fizzy mix of cream and root-beer. It kinda reminds me of a root-beer float. On first application, it was a bit sour, though. However, on the dry-down, the cream comes out and there is just a hint of the fizzy stuff. Several hours later, this stuff is still going strong and smells INCREDIBLE--rich cream with a touch of ginger. So glad I was able to get a bottle!

Sweet and creamy with a tang of root beer - somewhat like a vanilla ice cream and root beer float, but with some extra vanilla syrup and cream soda in the mix too, and whipped cream on top. Decadent, but not cloyingly so.

Lighter, fizzier - lots of carbonation and much more root beer/sarsparilla, with a slightly syrupy and medicinal edge. I get the same vanilla note from XCLD13, Antique and Black Lace - the rich, creamy, potent one with a slightly floral and powdery undertone. The amping of the sarsparilla makes this less sweet, and it's also less creamy on my skin - instead, the vanilla cream has turned to vanilla powder, and it makes me want to sneeze a little. It's not even dry and it's morphing within seconds. I do get another cream note, a subtle and purer type as in Schlafende, but it's heavily doused by the other, much stronger notes.

This is a POWERFUL scent on my skin with tremendous throw. It is even fizzier than it was before, with plenty of that intense, powdery vanilla and still slightly sharp root beer note. Now it's more like - cream soda with root beer syrup added, and then a whole ton of vanilla added. I can still pick out the soft cream, so it's holding, but still very faintly. The intensity and powderinesss of this scent are really not working for me, and while it's not typically foody, nor is it all that sweet, it's too rich for me and has definitely become cloying.

Eek. This has developed a plastic tinge (I think it's coming from the sarsparilla, that has sharpened over tie) as well as that musty drydown I get from a lot of baked goods/foody scents and the vanilla powder has intensified even further. This stuff makes my nose and face itch, even sniffing from several inches away. I can see how this would be popular, and it's divine in the bottle, but on my skin it goes horribly wrong in about an hour. Strong throw and decent longevity, though it's faded a bit, thankfully.

Note: I do get some exotic dry depth that could be teak, as I initially suspected - it does remind me of Glowing Vulva in the bottle. But on my skin, the VANILLA POWDER OF DOOM just overwhelms everything else so rapidly.

Not for me. :(

Edited by Shollin

Sarsparilla note is much stronger than cream when first applied, but within a few minutes, it does smell like root beer float....then as it dries more and it's mainly just vanilla on my skin.

This was absolutely delicious. Started out very strong on the sarsaparilla with the sweet cream a fairly strong second. As it dried, the sarsaparilla fades into the cream (and the cream starts to get stronger, creamier and sweeter). I fell asleep wearing it and woke up to the most incredible vanilla cream scent still lingering on my arm when I woke up.

This is a strong vanilla scent, definitely in the same general family as Antique Lace on me. There is a rootbeer float stage, but as it dries, the sasparilla adds a kind of herbal, dry undertone, taming the vanilla. It is GORGEOUS and I totally understand why they sold out!

Yep, this is really good......

It starts out really buttery, kind of like Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener, but also like Glowing Vulva......both of those are very rich to me, and this seems the same......but ASL is a little more restrained. Still, this is buttery at the beginning.

As it warms up, I'm getting a more cologne-y element, almost like ozone. This is not what I expected at all, and I can't detect any milk or cream. I thought this scent would be very foody but what I'm getting is a very elegant, refined scent that would be great for special occasions. It seems almost too elegant for everyday wear. I would wear this with a suit and tie (and definitely will, whenever I wear those again!). It's not literally "sarsaparilla and cream".....there is much more going on here. I couldn't say what other notes are here, but I keep thinking of ozone, and someone else mentioned woods, and I'd say that is accurate too.

It's exquisite. It's a very special scent that I will savor for special occasions......or for those days when I'm feeling decadent and needing a comfort scent. It works both ways. 

Edit 5/12/22, I'm wearing this today.  I don't get anything ozone or cologney, it's sarsaparilla and cream.  Not sure what the heck I was talking about in that old review, lol.  Still a great scent, hasn't changed a bit.  Something makes this kind of powdery.  It's sweet and yummy.

Edited by forspecial_plate

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is really creamy with a little vanilla and a little sarsparilla. I was worried about the sarsparilla because I don't like the smell of root beer, normally, but it's good. As it dries, the sarsparilla comes out more, although the cream overtakes it again when it's totally dry. It's really good, and I'm sorry they sold out.

Holy cow I'm blown away!!

Sarsaparilla usually turns to root beer, but this is more of a cream soda on me. It's creamy, and sweet. I'm really surprised too, because foodies tend to be no no's, but this is a foody that I LOVE! :wub2: I hope that the creamy vanilla note becomes more prominent as it ages.

It doesn't morph like crazy, but as it dries, the vanilla note becomes more prominent (with sweet sarsaparilla mingling in the background)

throw is medium

Verdict? mmmm root beer float

Edited by Purrsnikety

This one reminds me of Boo, but with marshmallow instead of cotton.. it seems to have the same lovely cream note. The vanilla is sweet and sugary, with a slight fizzy feel but the sarsparilla isn't ginger-y like it is in things like Stimulating Sassafras.. mostly, this is all marshmallowy vanilla sweetness with just a hint of fizz.

ASL doesn't have the depth and richness of Antique Lace and XCDL13, but it's definitely in the same family of scents. Anyone who loves their vanilla straight-up sweet is going to love this one :smile:

I got extra cream with a little bit of effervescent sarsaparilla, but weirdly it's not foody; it's got a musk thing going that keeps it more perfume.

I was blown away to get a FRIMP of this from a lovely forum member.

Oddly enough, on me it is pure baby powder. Expensive baby powder, but baby powder nonetheless.

Cream. And ginger. Very nice. Rich. Decadent. Sinful. Lustful. Yum. It's almost manly on me as well. Sexy yet comforting. RAWR.

I was frimped a tester of this from Fairnymph along with some other testers to try. A big thanks to her again since the idea in my head was not what I got after testing. I was thinking I was going to smell more root beer, but I get a lot more vanilla/cream/baby powder from this. It is yummy, but I think it is on the lines of Antique Lace and not a really big foodie scent. It is beautiful so I am slightly disappointed it was not created as a LE or GC scent because I know it would have really took off. The loss of Antique Lace left a hole that this sure could have filled. :wub2:

Sweet, creamy sarsaparilla - sinfully decadent and naughty. I never really imagined one of my favorite childhood treats as a boudoir scent, but the Lab manages it, yet again. The throw was medium, but the staying power was phenomenal - lasted all day and could still smell it faintly the next morning. Delightful and a total keeper!

Sassaparilla flavored generic perfume!!! :rant: I can't believe this. The creamy note is here....but it smells artificial and this goes to some weird alcoholic generic perfume. :sick: There is fizz here...but barely. Where is my fizzy vanilla cream with the hint of spiciness that I was lusting after? :eek: I finally get to try something that sounds like it is up my alley....and this happens. :rantrave: *sigh*

Hey, this smells like Cream Soda, SARSPARILLA! ... hey, where'd it go? :( I got a few quick waves of awesome, but now, you have to go nose-to-skin to smell it. It's still really nice, though, subtle and sweet and awesome.

This is the scent where XCDL13 and Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener had a baby. However, it doesn't last nearly as long as either of those do on me. It's sad because it's a beautiful scent. Oh well, I'll just have to reapply! ^_^

True.. it doesnt last terribly long, but BOY is it good, even when faded!

It's the best, yummiest creamy root beer-- what I wanted Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener to be. It feels similar to Tombstone as well.. only better. It fades to a sweet, creamy, slightly spicy musk.

This one was a very pretty, sweet cream scent on me. I was disappointed in my chemistry, though, because not one bit of the sarsparilla that I could smell in the bottle would come out on my skin. So as pretty and sweet as it was, it ultimately was like a lighter, less vanilla-y version of Detestable Putrescence for me, when what I wanted was that slightly spicy root beer float. Nothing bad or offensive or anything like that, but when a super-special hard to find BPAL doesn't blow me away, to me there's no sense in tucking it in a drawer and not enjoying it, it's meant for someone else. So it made its way across the country to a new home and I scored a bottle of something else that was meant for me :D

Bottle: mostly cream

Wet on Me: mostly cream still , but faint touches of sarsaparilla that haunts my nose.

Drying Down: As this was drying I got a sawdust scent. Perhaps what an old saloon would have smelled like?

Dry: the cream has mellowed and the sarsaparilla has gotten over being so shy and the 2 are playing together nicely over a sawdust base. I like this!

I actually like Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener a lot more than Anti-Saloon League for a root beer float type of scent. This isn't nearly as creamy or sweet as SSS. I get a little bit of a root beer type of smell for the first five minutes or so on my skin, but not much after that. There's a sharp, perfumey, sour edge to this that goes to baby powder as it dries down (and it has a brief stage where it smells like dry wood chips). It's sort of like a heap of clean baby powder and a hint of something sour. It reminds me of Hellboy more than anything else.

I'll stick with Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener for a root beer scent. I don't find Anti-Saloon League to be really sweet, foodie, or soda-like at all after a few minutes on my skin.

Got this as a frimp from a wonderfully generous forum member.

Mostly cream, though there's a dark note to it. It's nothing I'd identify as sarsaparilla or rootbeer (certainly not that sticky sweet)... it's closer to sunscreen to me.

The first time I tested this, I regretted putting it on when I was on my way out the door, because it took all of one sniff to realize this was nothing I wanted to wear. But I must admit, while I was driving, I was exposed to a bit of the throw on this one, and it's pretty. Bordering on gorgeous. Still nothing I especially want to wear, because it's just not me, but I can definitely see why this one's popular.

It's a nice very slightly spicy vanilla, bordering on squeaky clean and totally innocent, but not quite there. The throw is just delicious, and so much better than what I get with my nose to my wrist, but I just can't ever see myself wearing this. So... off to swaps.

Edited by raisin

Medicinal, creamy rootbeer. It has a little fizziness to it, just like Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener. Anti-Saloon, however is less sweet, and more herbal.

:wub2: