Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A popular holy day beverage in 18th century Ireland: roasted apples mashed into warmed milk and ale, with nutmeg, sugar, ginger, and clove.

In vial: not what I was expecting! Minty apple sauce! (warm cooked apples, spices, and sweet mint ... not what I'd normally expect with apple sauce but it could be tasty!)

Wet on skin: Juicy apples (cooked), spices ... maybe the minty cool blast thing is actually clove?

Dry: More warm and spicy cooked apples, yum! I can pick out some specific spices now - definitely clove, and ginger.

Later: more clove and ginger, less apple.

mmmm.... i swear i can almost taste it going down my throat! *yums*

in the imp:

the first thing that i got was a warm apple, mixed with cinnamon and ale. i'm not really getting the milk so much, the apple is shining bright and clean with the ale giving it a sparkly tinge.

wet:

the apple and ale are getting stronger.. mmm. i could drink this scent, it reminds me of a gorgeous cup of steaming hot apple flavored chai.

dry:

oh dear, it's starting to smell a bit like a xmas candle, albeit a rather yummy smelling one. still, i'm not sure if i want to smell like a candle. :huh?: i'll leave it on longer and hopefully it'll tone itself down a little. i'm still not getting the milk, but i'm getting a healthy dose of apple-cinnamon!

verdict:

i love how evocative this scent is, so i'll probably not ever swap it off. then again, i suspect that i'll be using it more as a room scent rather than a perfume.. i feel a little strange wearing foody blends. still, this is yummy, hooray!

This is a warm and creamy apple blend on my skin. Just slightly foody. The milk doesn't come out until further into the drydown for me. There are hints of cooking potpourri as someone else mentioned, and this almost ventures into candle territory on me. The spices aren't harsh at all. I like it, but I'm not in love with it.

Sweet clove, ginger, and spices at first. Over time this becomes a lovely creamy lightly-apple scent, sweet but not overly sugarly, warm, soft, wonderful. I don't like many of the foody things, but this is really nice. Definitely pondering a bottle.

The English were rather fond of this punch in the fall and winter seasons, too. It was not only drunk in the Georgian era (i.e. the 1700s), but also well in to the Regency period (the early 1800s). I've seen this referred to in many a Regency novel, and was always curious about it. If the real punch is as good as Beth's perfume that was inspired by it, then I really would love to try lambs-wool punch. :)

In the bottle: Apples and spices.

Wet: Oh, this is lovely. My nose doesn't want to leave my arm. There's the cooked apples, and the spices, and the sugar keeping things sweet, and just a hint of beer and milk. The milk reminds me a little of the milk note in Nonae Caprotina, which some people also compared to the milk note in Milk Moon. So if you like either of those scents, and any of the other apple scents, I think that you will love Lambs-Wool.

The Dry-Down: By this point, all the notes have blended together, but with the apple most prominent.

I might try layering this with SGA to amp up the apple, or with Gingerbread Poppet to amp up the ginger. And I need back-up bottles of LW, at least a couple.

Edited by thekittenkat

WOW!

This blend is a huge surprise hit for me. I added it onto my decant circle order last second, and it turns out that this is the only bottle I am 100% sure to order. Warm red apples, gently milky, with a sugary spicy blast. Spice-o-rama! It reminds me both of a spicy apple crumble/pie and mulled cider at the same time. I am not really getting the ale, although it may be adding some warmth and depth to the overall feeling.

The strength of this oil and its throw are incredible. This is one of the strongest oils I've smelled in a long time, and I suspect that with those spices, it will age just beautifully. I'm also confident that this will be popular on the forums for years to come.

This will be a lovely blend to turn to on cold fall and winter days.

This is pretty much what I was expecting. A spicy apple blend, that really smells good enough to drink. Spicy apple blends are something I like to smell in a room, though and generally not on me. This is very similar to Coral Snake, Fearful Pleasure and l'Autunno, though there are subtle differences. I don't need a bottle, but will definitely use up my imp one way or another!

In imp: very realistic nutmeg, ginger and clove, with beer, sweet warm milk and baked apples! It's very rare for me to be able to pick out each listed note as easily and clearly as that!

Wet on skin: mmmmmmmm! So pretty! Baked apples and spice and cream - I can almost smell the raisins and brown sugar the apples are stuffed with, but that might be association!

Dry on skin: so very yummy and autumnal and foody. Still baked apples and spice and cream and absolutely gorgeous! Must buy lots of this! With the milk note being so very creamy, it's actually an autumnal version of Agape, with the apples and cream warmed up by lovely spices. It's also one of the few spicy scents that doesn't irritate my skin - hurrah!

As soon as I saw the Weenies updated I knew this would have to be my one unsniffed bottle, because I have an unhealty love for apples, and this looked like a sure winner.

In the bottle: Warm apple with sugar and spices in the background. Yummy but nothing to write home about.

Wet: Oh god this is delicious! The milk comes out and this is the perfect apple pie! Def. foody, but not too sweet. The apple remains the dominant note -stewed apple, like the ones my grandma used to make, stuffed with butter, cinnamon and cocoa. How does Beth do it?- and the spices are gorgeous without being overpowering or falling into the "generic spices" pit. This is much more "solid" scent than the other apple ones I have (Fearful Pleasure, Coral Snake, Poisoned Apple, Verdandi), it's...toothsome.

I can't detect the ale, and the milk note seem to work o me. I was a bit worried because "cream" usually turns into burnt rubber on my skin but here there's no sourness or anything off, it just enhances the feel of apple pie that I get from Lambs Wool.

Dry: the apple backs down, but it's still there hidden in the spicy sweetness. Nutmeg, ginger and sugar are wonderful toghether. Sweet enough not to turn into dusty autumn pot-pourry.

Verdict: This is fabulous :wub2: For the first time in months I'm seriously tempted by a back-up bottle...I want to wear it, use it in the oil burner, make a spray and use it on my pillow...it's being warm and cozy in front of a fire, pie baking in the kitchen, while outside the leaves turn red and fall and the rain drums against the windows.

Also, this layers wonderfully with Moonalisa's Apple Brown Betty soap, why oh why do I only have half a slice of that left? The combo is apple pie heaven!

In Imp: Ooh, cider! Apples!

Wet: Reminds me a lot of Fearful Pleasure, which I looooove. I can smell the milk in the background though, which makes it ever so slightly different! It has a good strong throw too!

Dry: Delicious. Warm, appley and spicy. After a few hours, the ginger really comes out, but it's not overpowering. This is a lovely, warm, snuggly scent and I must get a bottle of it!

The perfect apple cider. It is slightly sweet, but more importantly spicy. You can really smell the ginger and clove over the nutmeg, which for me is perfect. As it dries downs and settles into my skin, hints of warm milk pop up every now and then and gives Lambs-Wool a creamy edge.

Mmmm... definitely smell the apple, a little bit of the milk and ale - but what really sticks around for me are the spices... I like it, although my daughter said I smell like a candle. Not sure if I want a bottle, but I'll definitely keep and use my decant ;)

Gorgeous, crisp, fresh apple.

warm spices - but no cinnamon, thanks Gods.

FRESH GINGER!

sweet creamy milk and a hint of spiced ale.

Mostly apple and ginger.

Exactly what the description says, Lamb's wool is amazingly true to it's concept and delicious.

The apple and ginger stay in the forefront in the drydown stage, but is basically the same wet as in the bottle. All the notes play together nicely and last through the drydown stage. This has gentle throw and good staying power.

This also has the best milk note of all the BPAL I've tried - it smells sweet and creamy and light, and doesn't go plasticy or sour at any point.

This blend reminds me of my beloved Shub-Niggurath, only way more wholesome and with less burning sensations.

Not only is this a scent I would get a full bottle of, I think this is the first scent I will need multiple bottles of. Hmm...time to sign up for some overtime.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

LOVE this. It's apples and spices. Like apple cider, but with a little milk, cinnamon, ginger and a hint of clove. Tasty.

Originally, I was hoping for a Mabon-like scent, but this is sweeter, less woodsy and no blackberry. With that said, this is still very very tasty. I sense bottle worthiness in this one.

I so wanted to love this, because cooked apples smell so heavenly. I can smell all the notes that are supposed to be there, but nevertheless, on my skin it smelled like nothing so much as one of those plug-in deodorizers. After three failed 'weenies, I must admit that my chemistry and the lab apples are natural enemies. Sadness.

In the bottle it is a juicy, red, ripe, and plump apple. You can smell the roundness and fullness of it. Simply delicious.

Wet on my skin it's the same round, red apple, juicy and sweet without being overly slow.

On dry down the spices come out and warm it up. It's a warm apple cider on my skin, soft, sweet, and yummy. This doesn't scream foodie to me, but it walks that fine line between wanting to snuggle with the scent and take a bite out of my arm. :lol:

Edited after aging (7/1/10): Almost nine months later and I'm retry-ing this after setting it aside for other loves. It literally has not been touched since October.

It has warmed up considerably. Wet the apples are freshly mushed and smashed, with just the barest hint of sugar. No spices wet for me. However as it dries down, it's almost like I can smell the drink being made and stewed/cooked. Little by little the spices get added until you get a warm, well rounded scent. I'm very thrilled at this development.

I think my previous statement about walking the fine line between foodie and not still stands.

Edited by claudia6913

Hmmm. Starts out a crisp, cold, tart green apple. Shortly, though, it morphs into a Spicey!cooked apple dessert hot out of the oven. Spices over-run the apples for about five minutes, then it morphs again into a red delicious apple picked right off the tree. Finally, it settles into hot apple crisp with a dab of whipped cream.

It's quite yummy, but I think after testing all these apple scents that apple and I don't really get along that famously. Like good acquaintances, but you don't want to spend more than an hour once every two weeks with them. I really want to like the apple note and it doesn't smell bad on me, but there's a personality conflict or something. lol

This is the lovechild of Fearful Pleasure and a delicate milk note coming from heaven. It`s not similar to any nemesis milk blends and it gives Lambs-Wool a total unicity together with the bubbly ale. The spices are never too loud and make me love it and slather it with passion. Throw and stay are moderate.

Mmmmmm...this is a really good autumn-y scent.

Wet on me it smells like luscious red apples.

After a few minutes,the delicious apple scent morphs into a warm apple pie kinda scent,with a creamy milk note around the apple and cinnamon and other cooking spices in the background.And stays so.

Overall,this is a really warm,cozy scent that's capturing the essence of a cool autumn night,when all you want to do,is sit in front of the fireplace wrapped in a (wool?) blanket and enjoy a piece of homemade apple pie.

Total win for me! :yum:

LAMBS-WOOL

IN IMP: I just died gloriously, a little. Apples and spices and creaminess, ohhhh my!! Fall coziness in a bottle.

WET, ON SKIN: Perhaps a little Yankee Candle…? I still have my nose attached to my wrist though. I kind of want to take a bite. Goldeny ale. Ciderish! I love, love, love. It’s appley baking and spices and cider all mashed in a pot.

DRY, ON SKIN: I think I got a sense of the milk. It’s very creamy and balancing; sort of mellows the tangy ale a bit, and the mashed apples and spices are only drizzled in milk, not drowning in it.

LATER: Husband is unsure as he isn’t much for the foody scents, but I can’t stop smelling myself. Soooo a bottle it is. He is interested in it as a room scent, for sure, and I know that I’ll definitely be wearing it.

Not too big on apple scents but I liked the description.

Starts off like a sweet apple scent with little spice. After awhile the scent turns creamy and smells like apple strudel hot out of the oven with a hint of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream melting in the warm juices. It pretty much stays that way and lasts for hours. The spices are light and the milk note just softens it up a bit to add creaminess. I like it and it's the best apple scent that I ever tried. I may hold onto the bottle for those autumn days when you just want to curl up with a hot cup of tea, wrapped in a throw, snuggled next to the cat.

Spicy, boozy apples! The apples have a bit of a smoky quality to them, sort of warm-smelling, very autumn-appropriate. I don't get a ton of ale, or milk, although I do get hints of them in the background, but apple is the dominant note, followed by baking spices (nutmeg mostly).

I really love the Lab's apple scents, and this is a great showcase for their apple note, as well as a very cozy fall scent.

Lovely creamy apple cider!! Sooooo tasty!

After a bit the nutmeg spices begin to take over a bit. Not a bad thing though. I am really liking this scent, but I will have to wait for the SO's position on this one to decide whether it is a keeper.

Lambs-Wool

In Bottle: Mmmm apples. Any apple scent I really just get apple from in the bottle.

Wet on Skin: What to describe besides yum? This is absolutely fantastic.

Dry Down: Anyway, to get serious, it's sooo warm and creamy and delicious. Makes me want to try the drink.

Dry on Skin: Very lovely, I definitely get the milk and the apples and the spice.

Overall: 5/5 I love it - the perfect fall scent. I want this so bad.

In the bottle, I get this lovely baking spices scent with an undertone of apple, like an apple pie. Can't wait to get it on me, cause like Cake Smash yesterday, is making me drool. On my skin, the spices are kinda predominating, but with a wonderful apple undertone. Oh god, this is so good; to repeat, I'm smelling like a really good apple pie with this on. And it stays that way, too; it faded a bit soon on me, but that's probably cause I was out walking in the rain and all.

A definite keeper, and going to be in heavy rotation probably until December or so.

Edited by Venneh