Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

imp: honeyed rose and carnation.

wet: rose and carnation and that milky scent which always smells slightly spicy to me. this isn't bad but rose and carnation are not my two best notes. after only a minute the rose has already started to turn soapy.

dry: pure soapy rose. oh well.

In the imp, this is creamy honey with just a breath of bergamot.... mmmm.

It's even creamier on my skin; I also get a lot of carnation (which I'm totally okay with!!).

Once it dries, it's rich and sweet - I get creaminess from the milk, orange fruit-y ness from the bergamot, touch of spice from the carnation, with just a hint of a full-bodied rose. Absolutely gorgeous!! Definitely a keeper.

Alice stays quite true to her scent description - honeyed rose with carnation and bergamot.

This goes a bit too soapy for me, and I'm just not in a rose mood today.

It embodies little miss Alice quite nicely, though, I must say. I can see why so many people like her, I'm just not feelin' it though.

Edit to add: I just tried a fresh-from-the-lab frimp, and the experience is a bit different. There's more of a musky, creamy feel to Alice than I remember - along the lines of Snow White and Dana O'Shea. It must be the milk note.

I actually like this a lot more the second time around. Glad I gave it another chance!

4 out of 5

Edited by AEris

By now, I know that rose and I will never be friends... but Alice was part of the generous frimpage in my last order, so I might as well give her a whirl (that, and she was leaking anyway).

Wet: Light spicy powder. Rather bland, actually.

Dry 1: Some sweetness, a little more depth... and then the rose comes out. It doesn't come out for a while though, fooling me into thinking that I've escaped its evil clutches. Oh rose. Now I'm hoping that the light-spice-sweet-powder will beat rose down.

Dry 2: Of course it doesn't. Powdery soapy rose.

On a ribbon, it dries down into... well, into light honey. O Lite, perhaps? (I haven't tried O, nor do I have it). Much more pleasant than when it plays on my skin. Overall, even if it didn't turn on me, I don't understand the overwhelming love Alice gets.

In the bottle: Umm, almond as in marzipan, very sweet with the honey, lovely!

Wet on my skin: Warm milk and honey

As it dries: Rose, then it becomes warmer, and spicier (the carnation coming out to play!), then more rose again, then the carnation fights back is the dominant note again!

Dry: After the fight between the rose and the carnation, this has settled into a spicy rose, with a touch of honey! It is not as sweet as I would like, but it still is a very lovely perfume!

On skin: roses and tea, with sweet carnation coming out.

5 min: Tea and honey, with a touch of carnation.

10 min: still tea and honey. I'm starting to get a vaguely apple-y impression; no idea why, as I can't see what could produce that. Perhaps some weird hybrid of the honey and carnation?

20 min: The honey's really coming out; call it two-thirds honey and one-third tea. Not really picking up any of the florals, though I think the milk's mellowing the bergamot. It's a sweet creamy scent, very much for social daywear; I may actually wear this to tea out at the Chateau in the next couple of weeks.

30, 45 min: same.

1 hr: a cosier scent, somehow: rather than going out and being social, it's like sitting at home with a cup of tea, possibly near the fireplace.

1.5 hr: the carnation's coming out, and the tea has faded. Honey's still there, so I've got sweet carnation with a touch of bergamot in the background. Interesting; will see where this goes.

3 hrs: sweet carnation, slightly milky.

Never less than a pleasant scent, if it doesn't always fire my attention.

Love and coffee,

Frances

In the imp: Smells like something I kind of want to eat, for some reason.

Ultimately, though, it smells like perfume made for children. Like I something I would ahe worn in 6th grade. I just kind of smells like cheap, childish, commercial pefume.

Not for me.

Alice has a whole lot of rose going on. I smell that kind of.. powdery spiciness that lets me know carnation is there but.. it is being overshadowed by the rose. I get a hint of creaminess with is nice.. though it stays a lot closer to the skin, while the rose really has a lot of throw. This would be lovely to wear if I ever had an occasion to dress up, as it is ultra feminine and pretty without being.. snooty about it. I will most likely always try to keep an imp on hand, though I don't know if I would ever need a big bottle. It is a slightly spicy, slightly creamy rose.. :P

This is the first Bpal blend I've tried with Honey in it where the honey is not predominant. In fact, I can hardly detect it.

The rose in this is gorgeous, it's the same rose that I can smell in Othello (Which I absolutely adore). It's not your traditional rose...it's more of a powdery softer rose....it's really nice. It blends well with the Bergamot which I can also smell.

I think the "Milk" note that's apparent in other blends is what gives Alice it's perfumey quality...at the same time being creamy!

It's very feminine and the more I apply the more I like!!

Where is the Carnation? I love Carnation and I can't find it? :P

It's overall a very very pretty scent, there's only a bit of throw on me and it wears off quite quickly.

On me, Alice is very soapy. Nice soap, with a rich creamy lather...but soap all the same. It reminds me of something my mom used to use when I was little, but I can't recall the name. I guess it was not meant to be. :P

Alice has a few notes in common with Jezebel (honey and rose), and it reminded me quite a bit of Jezebel when I first put it on. But it's lighter and more delicate -- it's kind of Jezebel's innocent little sister. The milk and honey don't smell foody on me at all, for some reason; they just temper the rose and keep it from overwhelming the blend. (Which is often what happens to rose notes on me, so it's nice to find a blend where the rose doesn't jump to center stage and scream SMELL ME! I AM A ROSE!) This actually reminds me of a random peony-based eau de toilette I once sniffed, even though there's no peony in it.

It's a close-to-the-skin scent, but it lasts all day. Nice. A little young for me, but good for a pick-me-up.

I first got an imp of this and I trully couldnt decide if I liked it or hated it. I realized that I liked it when I found myself wanting to wear it. I agree with other reviews in that this scent does have a powdery or almost soapy smell to it. But I've found that most scents with rose in it from the lab seem to smell powdery to me. I find Alice more powdery myself.

I can smell the rose the most in the bottle and out. So, if you have other rose scents from the lab you may want to try it out (if they also seem powdery to you you may enjoy it more). Alice also smells similiar to Delirium if you ignore the scent of the lemon in that one Xp

Edited by Dracoo9

Oh Alice, you’d been on the short list of things I’m positively dying to try for as long as I can remember, and in and out of my BPAL cart so many times I’ve probably made you dizzy, yet we still hadn’t met. Just when I had given up all hope of getting to make your acquaintance without having to make a lab order, and you show up unexpectedly as a frimp! I think I may have made some sort of high pitched squeal.

When wet, the first thing I can smell is a crisp floral under layers of milky softness and streaks of honey. Gentle and creamy without being too sweet, with just a slight hint of playful grassy green. Much to my complete delight carnation makes itself known as the dominant note quite quickly, and the floral component morphs into its pleasantly fresh and spicy scent. I don’t really smell much rose in miss Alice, which is a nice surprise despite the fact that I love roses and their scent – the less that comes between me and my carnations the better. :P The bergamot never seems to show up either, or perhaps it’s just integrated so deeply into the blend that it doesn’t read in the usual way for me.

After hours of wear Alice has settled into a wash of velvety smooth milk with a kick of carnation. The rose comes out just a touch more with time, but it just adds a bit of a dried petal sort of vibe rather that being the full bodied rose that seems to bloom on me from most blends. Surprisingly I can still catch wafts of Alice here and there, despite being such a translucent and dainty scent. This blend is absolutely representative of Alice herself, it’s the epitome of a mischievous yet dignified young lady. It’s feminine and curious but manages to not come off as too young or immature, and reminds me of all the good things about childhood.

Edited by agnusdei

Absolutely beautiful but very short lived (on my skin, anyway)

In the imp: honey and carnation

Wet: Floral bouquet, drizzled in honey and milk

Dry: Gone. Nada. Zip. Zilch. (boo, hiss!)

In the imp this smells like the most sugary, toothache-inducing bubblegum ever. Once I put it on, it developed a lovely milky-honey-roseyposey little girl scent. After drydown though, it smells like pure honeyed bergamot bliss on my skin. I wish it were a bit stronger, but it's such a lovely scent that I'm happy to reapply.

It's vaguely reminiscent of Ralph Lauren's Safari, but so much more refined.

Oh florals, they really don't like me. :P

Almost immediately upon touching my skin, Alice turned soapy. Even after an hour it smells exactly like those little soaps that are carved into shells and roses and put into a dish with a dash of potpourri and left in a bathroom where no one actually uses them.

In the Bottle: Honey, carnation and bergamot

On Me: Such a comfort scent. All of the notes are strong in this one, though they blend in a very lovely way. Someone described it as "playing dress up" and I totally get that. It's a signature scent for me now.

Honey. Light and very VERY sweet! Rose amps a bit too much and hangs in there with the carnation. I never get milk and bergamot but it has a creamy, rounded feel. Warm, sweet and a little spicy. But too sweet overall, too much rose, I just cant wear this.

In the imp: Honey, with a very warm tone to it.

Wet: Thick, sweet, honeyed cream, with a bit of spiciness to it.

Dry: The floral scents come out to me as it dries, and it 'cools off' as in the honey note becomes more subdued, though it never quite disappears...more like it coats the petals of the flowers (and I'm wanting to say that I smell more carnation than rose). And yet, there's a powdery note to it, as well...I'm wanting to call it 'baby powder' only because it's a very light, feminine, innocent sort of tone...not soapy or strident at all.

Verdict: I can see why this is a popular scent; it's *really* lovely, and very feminine, very elegant in an innocent sort of way. Unfortunately, it has *no* throw or lasting power on me at all, which makes me very sad. :P I'm reluctant to get rid of it because it's so pretty, so hopefully I'll be able to find another use for it.

Imp from the gregarious AleciaR :P.

Preconceived notions: Mmm, I likes me some milk & honey with rose petals!

Wearing, it was completely different....my skin latched onto the bergamot and carnation and went mad. I smelled nothing but bergamot, a warm herbally business, laced with carnation, which was soft but not especially sweet. Bergamot is also in Calliope, which didn't fare well with me either, but that scent went wrong in a different way. Alice surprised me, since with the other rose blends I've tried, rose has paraded around and tended to show itself very nicely. Wonder why my skin didn't like it this time? Oh well.

In the bottle: Spicy citrus and honey; a little creamy.

Wet: Less spicy. Maybe a wee bit of rose, but it's very faint. Overall, very low throw.

Dry: The rose has come out more, but it's not the sort of rose I like. It's sort of soapy-incensey, or maybe it's combined with another floral. In any case the floral notes are now overwhelming, and this has much stronger throw. The carnation and honey are still there, but sadly overshadowed. The bergamot has gone sort of astringent - not the lovely fresh citrus of in the bottle.

Summary: Powdery rose, with hints of honey and bergamot. Alas!

It took me three tries, but I finally realized what Alice smells like on me: almond and powder. And sometimes plastic. I can't stop smelling my wrist, just because the smell is so odd! I think I can smell the rose occasionally, but it's very faint.

I can see how it evokes the feeling of a young girl's perfume... it smells right for an Alice perfume, but it just doesn't smell right on me. I might like this perfume more if I liked almond extract (I can't stand the taste or smell of the stuff).

Rawrrrr! This is wonderful and really surprising on my skin. I bought a bottle unsniffed in the hopes that I'd get all the notes except minimal to no rose. I can handle a small amount of rose, but not when it's the predominant note.

In the bottle this is sort of like tea with honey in it.

On my skin, it morphs into something very lightly spicy and floral. I'm guessing that's the carnation and bergamot. I still get honey, and perhaps a tiny bit of milk, but little to no rose. This really is a innocent and beautiful blend. I'm so happy I bought it. It actually lightens my mood just to wear it.

I feel sort of sexy and innocent all at the same time with Alice! Score another hit for the lab!

In the imp this smells bright with bergamot but has an underlying sweetness.

As soon as I swiped it across my wrist I could smell it deepen and mature into something more spicy. Now that it is dry, I can smell mostly carnation with a sweet bottom. (Sweet bottom cracks me up, my friend calls her boy toy that.)

Not sure if I'll get a bottle or not... I'll have to wear it alone for a day and see if I fall in love.

Imp: Kind of innocuous. I get a sweet floral bouquet scent.

Wet: The bergamot and carnation perk up and come to the forefront. Thankfully the milk has decided to stay in the background and not go funky on me.

Dry: Sweet, floral and resinous. This dries down to a really compact scent--I can't identify the different notes.

Throw: Definitely an up close and personal scent for me.

Overall: This is quite lovely. I'm not married to it, but I'll use my imp up.