Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

This smells exactly like I had imagined, minus the bergamot. Unfortunately, this turns to plastic on me after a few minutes.

Very pretty but something about it just isn't sitting right with me. I can smell the carnation, rose, and milk. It really does all mix together very nicely. Suits it's name perfectly. Smooth, girly, and with a hiny of mischief (the carnation - hint of spice).

Yay, a milky scent that doesn't go sour baby spitup on me! :D

Seriously, this is gorgeous! It smells like Early Grey tea with milk and honey and a hint of spice (must be the carnations). I can't smell the rose at all, which is just fine! This is just superbly blended and I must have a big bottle right away. It's somewhat fleeting, but for something so beautiful, I don't mind slathering and reapplying throughout the day. :D

Edit: Oh dear, I got a big bottle of this from a forumite and it smells different! I can tell it's the same scent, but this one has rose...lots of rose. The rose on my skin drowns out all the sweet milky goodness. :P I'm afraid I shall have to swap it away.

Edited by maijasu

Wet this is milk, honey and almonds. When first on this is light orange/bergamont mixed with honey, very soft and feminine. After about 30 minutes rose comes out. This is a lovely scent but is very faint on me. I like the smell of this one a lot but wished it had more staying power. It's a good springtime scent though.

I'm learning that carnation is a good note on me.

this is spicy and sweet at the same time. after a little while it's more creamy, but with that zing of carnation in the background.

I really like this.

Edited by Nightbird

My skin just eats up this scent. Not two hours after applying it, I can barely smell a trace of it. When wet, it's pretty strong and rather spicy on me, and there's a quick but lovely cream drydown. After that, nada! Alas, no bottle for me!

I like this one, although to me it smells absolutely nothing like the catalog description. What it smells like to me is cardamon. Sort of chai-like, actually. Very spicy, and reminds me of some of the Axe scents I like on my girlfriend, too. Definitely a keeper.

Score: 5 out of 5

this is the imp that made me fall...HARD....for BPAL :D

I LOVE ALICE. I don't really detect much of the carnation (which is too bad, as it's one of my favorites)...but I do get a lot of honey and a much lighter, softer floral drydown. It's positively gorgeous, and it lasts forever.

I'm going to hoard this one. :P

In the bottle: Smells like the almond-cherry handsoap you find in the restroom at work.

Wet on skin: Aaah, now I can smell something different. The description says it has milk, honey, rose, carnation and bergamot. I definitely smell the honey and rose now.

Dry on skin: Much improved from what it was in the bottle. It smells like honey and florals, to me; I don't smell any milk.

Verdict: Not my favorite Mad Tea Party scent, but worthy of a partial 5ml bottle I swapped for. Very pleasant when you don't want to smell particularly sexy (Bordello) or powerful (Wanda).

Alice-

In Bottle: Very lightly floral, a trace aquatic, and just a touch of something warm and sugary-tea-like.

Wet: Milky sugary bloom with a touch of citrus. Yes, definitely something lemony coming out.

Dry: Oh, dear, this one is just going bad on my skin. You know that "perfume gone sour/plastic/off" thing? Happens sometimes. Feels like the bottle's sat on the shelf and gone to rot, except it's my chemistry and not the perfume's fault.

Overall: Not good for me.

Alice is definitely one of my favorites! I like the sweetness and light of it. It's not too floral (I tend to dislike florals), and bergamot definitely dominates at first, but wears off gradually.

I tend to dislike large doses of rose as well, and this isn't like that for me. It's just a touch, and it's just the right amount of rosy goodness. The honey makes it pretty darn sweet.

It's an easy scent to love!

In the imp: I'm not hopeful here, as I'm one of the minority of people for whom "milk+honey" is generally a bad thing, but this smells very pretty. I can detect the rose and carnation. Maybe these strong florals will help?

Wet: Ah, this is nice. The florals are prominent on my skin, and the carnation can stand up to the rose, which is usually very strong. The milk mellows things out and prevents this from being a sharp scent.

Drydown and wear: The milk and bergamot grow stronger (and this is not a lemony bergamot like Severin), but they don't go wonky on me because of the florals. This is one of those scents I would have never tried in a million years on my own, so I'm very grateful to the Lab for the frimp. It's a really beautiful oil.

Alice was the first exposure to BPAL I had, as it was one that I'd bought from someone in the forums and it came a few days before my imp pack did.

I've tried it for three or four days now, as I probably will with all of them. I'm still not sure if I like it. I've had a different result every day, it seems.

The first time, I got a lot of baby powder. A lot. I was pretty sure I was going to be sending it away to a new home. The second time, I got a bit more milk, but still very baby powder. Yesterday, it was pretty much perfect milk and honey and very nice. So this is a hit or miss one for me, I guess.

Doesn't last long at all, either, and don't think it has much of a throw, but keeps me sniffing my wrists all the time, so. :P

This is cream, honey and sweet flowers in the bottle – the rose is low-key but distinct. A sweet, appealing scent that is somewhere between cuddly and lickable.

It goes on in a blast of floral, the nutty cream and carnation mixing, the rose sitting to one side. The bergamot is just a faint touch, barely-there. This is clean, light, and sweet. I really don't like the smell of carnations, though, so I think that's what is queering the deal for me here. Thankfully this is a very light blend – even applying twice as much as usual, I got hardly any scent from it at all.

It sort of balances out after a while into a spicy rose with a strong dash of cream. The drydown is wonderful, and my husband, Sargon, loves it. I see why this is a classic, but it's not for me. Too good-girl, not nasty enough.

Alice: Sniffing in the bottle, it smells whimsical and like a fairytale! Its sweet like a cherry, and florally, and like a little girl would wear, it reminds me of a perfume I had as a child in a little book.. Putting it on, it is very nice, I think I can smell the bergamot, but it is sweet and def what I would imagine Alice wearing :P

10mins later: it is mostly floral now, but still very nice.. I like it!

20mins later: wow.. it's changed and its gone sweeter, the honey is coming out more.. and its gorgeous!! one of those "i cant stop sniffing myself" scents!

Frimp from the Lab.

Not much to say - if fits the description very well. It smells like carnations dipped in honey. I get the milk too, but not the rose or bergamot, yay! It's not like tea or anything. It's even better than I'd imagined.

Milk = yuck, but the honey means that this fades instantly on my skin. I never smell any carnation, rose, or bergamot. Just milk, for a brief time.

I wanted to love this so badly, but this just isn't for me :D All I get is honey and a bit of rose, and both of them as powdery scents (don't get me wrong, I love the scent of honey and roses, but not like the way I smell them in Alice).. Damn my skin chemistry!

I think I´ll give it a try again some day 'cause I was really waiting to get this imp and today I´m just too depressed for anything this sweet and floral...

Edit, Second try:

Not as bad as I remembered, but still this isn't me. Today honey with a hint of roses isn't the only thing I smell, there is more flowers and something else too :P Though Alice is still too powdery on me and so I will not get a bigger bottle of this.

Edited by Unillusia

I've had an imp of this for quite a while, but you know how you get a bunch of oils at once and get overwhelmed? Well, I've had this imp for about 2 years. Last night I was reading some of the forum suggestions about scents with milk and honey. That's when I remembered my imp.

So this morning I slathered myself with the precious. Now I am ready to eat my arm off, I smell so freakin' good! :P I can't believe this lovely scent has been quietly sitting with my other little impies, just waiting for me to realize how lovely the milk, honey, and carnation smell together. I need a bottle of this!

This was a frimp and I’d noted down I wasn’t planning on ordering it because it sounded too girly, but I did want to try it at some point.

In the bottle: Carnations and a hint of rose.

Wet: It must be a combination of the carnations, rose and bergamot but this turned to instant soap!!!

Dry: The soap vanished and what’s left is a mildly spicy, creamy carnation scent. It’s absolutely amazing and now I understand why this is so well liked. It’s not too girly for me at all – it IS innocent, but not young. It’s like a poem about sweet hope and love.

I got this because I love carnations and roses, and wanted to like the honey notes (though the SN of Honey goes rancid on me).

Imp: Lightly floral, threatening to go powdery.

Wet: Heavy on the carnation. Surprisingly creamy.

Dry: This smells exactly like chai tea on my skin! Pity it fades pretty quickly, because I can't stop sniffing my wrist. I've reapplied twice today because the scent is gone after about two hours. I like this one a lot, but I think I may have to swap it away because it doesn't last. :D

Edit: The hell was I thinking, "swap it away?" Alice is lovely. This particular imp, which is a different one than I'd first tested from, has something in it that goes more lemony tea than chai - more bergamot than carnation, perhaps? Maybe it's that I've been sniffing Ugh all day. :P

Edited by hackess

I knew this was going to be hit or miss on me, but I really held out a lot of hope.

On my first sniff from the bottle, I suspected it might not be for me. Rose, lots of rose, smells like cheap public restroom soap. But, I still held out hope that it might work on my skin...

Alas, no. My skin amps up rose to the upteeth degree, which is a shame becuase my nose hates it. I smell like Grandma. Though my husband assures me that "this Grandma shops at Nordstrom" it's still not something I'd like to smell. Our roomate said I smell like Glade room spray. I think I smell like a Crabtree and Evelyn explosion. Ever smelled their Summer Hill scent? like that.

So basicly, soap. But expensive soap!

Verdit: swap.

In the bottle:

Surprisingly spicy. Milk, honey and bergamot stand out the most. It's almost like chai tea without the tea. Not that chai has bergamot, but, spices. I'm also getting a slight whiff of florals, but it doesn't come out enough for me to differentiate the rose and the carnation.

Wet:

Much spicier than I was expecting! A little sweet, but I definitely get the bergamot. This has some attitude - it definitely fits Alice. I'm also getting the milk and the rose in particular, and maybe a little bit of carnation and honey.

Dry down:

Wow, really fast dry down. This is amazing. The bergamot has almost completely backed off - it's only there to give it a little kick. It's this gorgeous, warm, complex floral - I think I can tell it's carnation and rose, but I wouldn't know for sure without the notes - and I can definitely get a little bit of sweet honey and creamy milk. Very soft and feminine.

Final thoughts:

I likes it a lot. It feels a little bit young, though, but I'm not sure yet. It may end up on the favorites.

Wet, I smell honey and carnation, with a bit of bergamot.

On my skin, it's all creamy honey and carnation. The rose teases around a bit but never fully develops.

I like it. It's not something I'll wear a lot, but I'll definitely use my imp!

I love scents that have a creamy base to hold back sharp florals and other notes. This blend is well done and is one of the many "sweet florals" I've fallen in love with.