Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

The first note to hit me when I apply this is the bergamot. After a few minutes I can smell some of the rose, milk, and sugar. Ahh now the honey is coming out. A foody scent, completely reminds me of tea parties. This smells so innocent. I really like it. The carnation adds just a hint of spice to this, but not enough to take away from the sugary milk smell that this has going for it. Yummy.

When I first tried Alice on, my nose tried to tell me it was smelling lemon - I think it's the pungency of bergamot that's making me confused. After the initial tartness, the milk and honey emerge, making this a sweet but mellow kind of blend.

The fact that the rose doesn't go out of control on my skin wins Alice major bonus points from me - I can smell the rose, but it stays mingled in with the carnation and foody notes, rather than going on the rampage like it usually does on me.

In all, this isn't a very "me" kind of scent, but it's very pleasant once it's dried down - very innocent and girly.

It starts with rose, carnation and a creamy bottom line.

The carnation gives it a spicy edge, and bergamot adds a fresh touch.

The honey comes out as it dries down.

It's soft and feminine. I see why it's so popular!

I admit I was a bit leery of this at first since milk scents tend to go powdery on me but thanks to some quirk of chemistry, Alice worked.

Wet, this smells predominantly like carnation but the carnation is backed by the rose and it's a bit spicier than carnation normally is. The milk adds a warmth and fullness to the scent.

Drydown, the rose comes a bit more to the foreground, but this is still carnation's show.

Dry, carnation and milk with just a touch of sweetness from the honey.

It didn't last overly long, only 4-5 hours, but it's worth re-applying. I even got compliments on how nice I smelled. I think I may have found my spring scent! :P This goes on the big bottle list.

Alice is sooo pretty.

I've had some so-so experiences with milk so I was a bit reluctant to try this but I'm so glad that I did. It's a softly spicy floral with touches of milk and maybe a tad of vanilla. The spicy floral is definately carnation. Just looked at the notes - no vanilla listed, but I would swear there is just a hint.

Anyway - overall Alice is a very soft, pretty scent, bringing to mind petticoats, white dresses and soft pink ribbons tied around the waist. Very sweet and innocent - a perfect springtime scent - I love it!

It turns out I like Alice for completely different reasons than I thought I'd like Alice.

I picked it out because of the honey and the carnation and the bergamot, and because can that many very different people be completely wrong about it? :P But on me it's all rose rose rose until about five hours after application when it's a faint, but lovely, honey-carnation scent. (Had I not read there was milk in the description, I would never have known it was there at all.)

I bought Alice in spite of the rose and ended up loving it because of it -- and I was previously all-but-phobic of rose scents (mostly for allergy reasons). I don't know why it works but it absolutely does, and because it's so different from my usual scents I'm looking forward to buying more of it.

I had an imp of this initially and thought it was too foody and sweet, but never tried it on. I gave it to a friend, but found myself wanting it again so I ordered a 5ml. I got it two days ago and I now adore this one :P Never judge an oil before giving it a fair trial!

Out of the bottle it smells almost like an amaretto cookie. It's a very comforting fragrance, makes me feel safe. It's not overpowering and not sickly sweet. Come to think of it, it reminds me very much of a perfume that my grandmother from Cuba used on my little brother and sisters. That must be why it's so comforting to me :D

I just may need a bigger bottle!

Alice morphed quite a bit on me. In the imp, it smelled mostly floral to me. On my skin, I definately got a few seconds of something citrus...I'm guessing that was the bergamot. But that was quicky overpowered by the rose and carnation, and the sweetness that must be the honey. I love both, so that was nice. Then after an hour or so, I could still smell the rose and carnation, but it started to go a bit powdery...it wasn't a bad sort, just not really me.

Then I went to dinner with my parents, and as were leaving the restaurant, my mom said I smelled like sugar cookies. And sure enough, it was mostly sugar cookie, with a bit of floral lingering in the background. All in all a nice scent, though probably not an every day one for me. I think I'll let my mom give it a whirl, see how it goes with her. :P

I wish so much I got the bergamot in this.

On me, Alice is intensely sweet almond. Beth's milk note (except for in Sudha Segara) is pretty much always an extreme amaretto scent which wipes out everything else in its path.

I love all the notes in this, in theory, but it just doesn't happen. If you're similarly overwhelmed by the milk and honey, I'd recommend Maiden for another rose/carnation scent.

You would think that I would have tried this one right off, seeing as how I am such an Alice...collector. But I was wary of the bergamot and rose and carnation. I am more of a sweet/resin/wood lover. And I have smelled Alice scents in the past (the Disney version is particularly nauseating). But she came up in a swap and I could put her off no longer.

Oooohhhh!

I thought the bergamot would overpower on the top, but it blends with the rose and they morph into something delicate...and a bit old fashioned, but still timeless. The carnation must just be spicy, because this is not nearly as floral as I imagined. She dries down to a creamy sweetness with a tad of spice. This is similar to Morocco in character, but cleaner and less sweet.

Curious, mysterious, surly like only pre-pubescent girls can be, I find this one to be the girl power that is put through the trials during the blooming of womanhood. I don't think it smells like a little girl, though...it reminds me of myself, yes, as a young girl, when things were fresh, delcious, and new; but I was not afraid of anything and was not in the least self concious.

Thank you, Beth, for another beauty...

Edited by lookingglass

This one really morphs on me.

Starts very almondy.

Then honey and nutmeggy spices.

Then citrusy and spicey-floral (carnations?)

I like it, and will enjoy using my imps, but will not invest in a bottle. A little too floral for my tastes(which tend towards the foody and green/herbal scents).

For a floral scent, this is very nice though -- I keep getting delicious little whifs of spices, honey, and (lord know why) almonds!

This one is very nice, I definately want a 5ml of this (In fact have asked my boyf to order it for me for Xmas), it is a day scent not a night one. Its very pure and innocent!!

This is very pretty. Spicy carnation and sweet rose come to the fore with bergamot in the background. Milk and honey for the base notes. Altogether this is a sweeter, more flowery version of White Rabbit. But alas, it doesn't last very long at all on me --- an hour and it is gone, so I may swap it to someone with a more compliant skin chemistry. That or blow the whole imp putting it in my bath!

Bottle; This actually seems a little sour to me, like the milk's gone 'off'. I think it's probably the carnation, though.

Wet: Hmn. I expected this to be a bit lighter in quality, more dainty. It's pleasant in its own way, but that 'sour' quality is threatening to drown out the other notes that lurk in the background with such promise... maybe it'll go away when dry.

Dry: Okay, phew. The sour has gone away. It leaves behind a gentle, soft sweetness that meanders the line between floral and foody. I think it could stand to be a bit more vanillalike, but it's pleasant.

Final Opinion: Hmn. It's nice, but I really don't think it's me. The sour stage is gratifyingly transient, but the remainder is a bit too...well...innocent and girly for me. :P I dunno what else I would've expected from "Alice", but there you have it. It's all about Victorian lace and linens and tea (one lump or two care for a spot of cream. I'll keep the imp, I think, but I can't see me wearing it daily. ^__^

First time I tried Alice, I had a sore throat and a cold, all I smelled was carnations and roses. Which made me sick to my stomach and gave my mother a headache. So I put it away until I felt better and hear is my experience.

In the bottle: Tea and lemons. A fresh crisp smell, like a tea party on a spring afternoon on a beautifully manicured green lawn. Very nice.

Wet on the skin: Lemons. Very yummy. It is lemon tea but not like lemon zinger tea. It's softer which is probably the florals behind it. Very nice.

Drydown: Where did it go? :P Within minutes my skin has eaten my Alice and all I'm left with is a faint powdery smell.

Overall, the first experience was awful, the second disappointing. I loved the initial wet smell but I wished it would last longer than a minute and I don't much feel like slathering, I feel it might be become overpowering. Oh well, into the swap pile it goes.

In the imp: Honey.

On, wet: Honey. Very strong, maybe a bit of milk. But mostly honey.

Later: Oooh, now there's the carnation. Little bit of spicy floral under the milk and honey. Not a trace of bergamot, but that's fine by me -- citrus would make this scent a little weird for me, I think. Spicy honey floral. *purr*

I got this imp in a swap. I put it on my wishlist because I'm always looking for the perfect scent with roses.

On my first sniff from the imp, it smelled very sweet and slightly creamy. On the second sniff, I smell a light, slightly spicy floral.

On my skin, at first I smell something sweet and almost almondy, which I'm thinking is the milk and honey, but then the florals take over. After that all I smell is carnations and roses, with a whiff of bergamot at the end. It's a very nice blend though, not overwhelming, but light and pretty. After an hour, the florals remain, but I can smell a soft slightly creamy sweetness underlying them if I put my nose close and sniff.

It's quite pretty, and the spiciness of the carnations, and the slight citrus note from the bergamot keeps the blend from being cloying. But it's not really me. I'll probably keep the imp, but I won't buy a bottle.

Finally a daytime scent I adore! Besides Morocco, Port-au-Prince, Snake Oil, the Lion and the like (of spicy golden-brown "exotic" scents), I've at last found one for those times I want to walk around not smelling like I just had some really great...bed time activity. Really, there are times I don't want to smell like the bronzey-skinned dark eyed sex goddess I am. (Ha. I wish.)

And for those times, there is Alice. In all her creamy, sweet, milky flowers goodness. Alice makes me smell the way I wish I smelled naturally. It isn't a "hey, I'm wearing perfume!" scent, it's a "my skin naturally smells this amazing" scent. It stays close to me and the honey note merely adds sweetness. Alice also lasts a long time, considering how soft and pretty the scent is. At least 6 hours, even though at the end you'd have to be quite close to smell it.

To me, if Alice was a color, it wouldn't be pink, but rather a soothing off-white. Like a cream colored chiffon dress, Alice is comfortable, beautiful and just makes you feel good when you wear it. Any time of the day or night, any time of the year. It just fits.

Edited by faifai

In the imp: This smells bright and citrusy to me, and also sweet. The closest I can come to describing it is to say it smells like Tang. I assume that's the bergamot, as sweetened with honey. Normally I would stay far away from rose and florals, but so many people have raved about Alice that I'm willing to give it a try. Luckily, I'm not getting rose out of this at all.

Wet: It's still sweet, but I'm getting a lot less citrus than in the vial. It's more floral than something I would normally wear, but it's a spicy floral and not at all an old-lady rose. It's also very, very light and I'm rather afraid this may fade to nothing before I even get a good dry-down.

Early dry down: After about ten minutes on my wrists, this is faded almost completely. I'm getting a faint odor of baby powder and citrus, with baby powder being the far stronger odor. There's no waft at all, and I have to sniff my wrist to detect the fragrance.

Late dry-down: Gone on the left wrist and lingering as a soft, unidentifiable floral, powdery smell on the right.

Conclusion: This wrong on me, but not for the reasons I expected. Florals usually overpower me and trigger a sneeze-attack, but these went away so quickly they may as well never have been present. While I'm a subtle perfume devotee and prefer oils that don't waft, I do like to be able to smell them on my wrists. If I can't smell it, what's the point? The two decants I have of this will definitely be given as Christmas gifts this year. I'm no longer tempted to keep them.

This is probably the best rose scent I've tried so far, and one that I could see myself wearing regularly.

I don't get the bergamot at all, just the most beautiful rose EVER. Most rose blends seem to sit on top of my skin, but this lovely oil is so creamy that it sinks right in, and my skin just seems to waft this natural rose scent, creamy, sweet and just a little spicy. It is luxurious yet innocent. I love it.

I absolutely love Alice, the honey rocks my world, and I must get ahold of the other BPAL honey blends.

Alice doesn't morph much on me, it's sweet, softened honey with perfect florals from the beginning. The rose and carnation are so well blended, they are like a new note to my nose.

This is my first experience with bergamot, but I must love it, because I love everything here. I'm getting a sense of orange blossom honey, maybe the bergamot is giving me that citrus-y impression. I usually hate citrus, but in this it's just right. It blends right in with my skin scent and makes me feel great. Alice is fresh and fabulous, one of my top three favorites.

Definitely a daytime scent for me, it doesn't really have enough drama for me to choose it for going out at night. It is stronger with more waft than I expected, which is a very good thing. It lasts about 4 hours, which is good because my skin usually soaks oils right up, right away.

I already have a 5ml on the way, and will order a 10ml with my Yule order.

Edit: God, I love it more and more. I'm glad I ordered a 10ml, and I need another, as I used up 5ml in three weeks. I have to slather heavily to get a throw that others can detect; I can smell Alice on me but no one else can, the opposite of most of my BPAL blends. I wish it were twice as strong!

Edited by LyndaM

If it said rose anywhere, it went on my must-try list.

Origin: Decant bought on LJ

In the Bottle: Creamy, sweet, lots of the bergamot giving it a citrusy twang.

Wet: The rose, she blooms. This is usually a good thing for me.

Drydown:The rose is dominant for me, but the other notes make it feel very much like a child's perfume. It's delicate instead of robust, pretty instead of beautiful.

Verdict: Not bad. I may pick up another imp in the future, but this one is off to the swaps. My tastes run a little more bold.

This smells to me a lot like tea, but it can only be the milk scent (from my experiments of adding milk to cola!). So... I get the milk mostly with a faintly lemony spice scent mingled in. I don't really get any roses and not very much carnation or honey. It's a nice sweet scent though and quite calming.

In bottle: This actually smells like I thought Alice herself would smell--the warm scent of freshly-washed innocence, with just a touch of sweetness. The sweetness is more of a "skin scent" smell, rather than foody or floral.

Wet: somewhat lemony, oddly, but the honey comes out as a very smooth and warm note.

Dry: woooo...love's baby soft or whatever that stuff that all my friends wore in middle school was called. The honey and carnation (which emerged with vehemence) was too much.

Alice:

In the bottle: Yknow, I don't think the combination of milk, honey, and carnation really work well.. we'll see...

Wet: It smells...really...little-girl-ish

Drydown: Er.. I got distracted, so it's been quite a while and I have the smell of garlic in my nose... And with that this smells... nice.. light.. and I don't know if I'll wear it.

Conclusion: keep imp, test again