Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Oh how I love thee Alice :P

I thought I had already reviewed this beautiful little gem of a scent, but obviously not, so here goes ...

Wet on my skin this is amazing spicy carnation, with something creamy and deep behind it. I say deep, but there is a freshness too. Milk and honey - I didn't really know what to expect from that, but it is just that. Like a big pan of condensed milk on the stove with honey and a touch of sugar mixed in and melted. But on a spring or summers day. This for me is not a warm wintery scent, but a fresh yet warm spring-like or summery scent.

Dry on my skin this loses some of the sharp spiciness and mellows to a powdery finish. You know you can get powdered milk, well powdered milk and honey in a tub when you have just popped the lid for the first time would smell like this. I can still definately smell the carnation too. I think I get some rose too, but it doesn't overpower the blend, which I am glad of.

I love Lush's Potion. I drool like a rabid dog over it. I can't stop smelling myself when I have it on. Alice has exactly the same effect on me. To me, it is the most perfect, beautiful, dainty, special and whimsical scent I have ever had the pleasure to try. I wish I was this scent. I am considering calling my firstborn Alice purely because of this scent. Even if he is a boy! Then I would sell said firstborn in order to buy more. (You think I am joking?)

I am so thankful I bought 5ml of this unsniffed. I will definately be ordering 10ml with my next order.

I really like this one, but need to give it another chance at a different time of the month to get hte full beauty of the scent. I think it is spicy and delicious, but my bf was not a fan. Too bad for him, because this may wind up as a big bottle purchase. Overall, its slightly floral, very spicey and a touch foody on me.

Guest ExquisiteSiren

I am smitten with alice.

Alice is wearing a pink crisp imported bow of the finest pale blue color. Big doe eyes that gaze in wonder...curious and well curious!!!

Smells like shortbread cookies, earl grey tea, lemon and sugar?

I want to have this one around me forever...Fine and decadent in a happy way!

Thats it....must have a 10 ml.

I do like Alice. I initally did not get an imp, but kept it in the wishlist. I got an imp from the FAB pkwench and just think it is great.

In the bottle it is carnation. I was not sure that it would go away. On the skin however, a whole 'nuther story. That carnation dries very fast and in its place a wonderful bergmont comes in.

Then the creamy milky yumminess and all is right in the world. You do feel young and innocent and very, very curious......... :P

I wasn't sure how I would like Alice, but she quickly became one of my favorite scents. In fact I would say she is tied with Sacred Whore of Babylon for the number one spot right now.

In the bottle: very floral, I can definatly smell the rose and carnation having a party in there, and in the back ground is just a wee bit of creamy sweetness.

On wet: I'm amazed at the transformation once it hits my skin. The milk and honey take over and the carnation makes Alice smell like a very milky sweet cup of tea.

Dry down: The rose comes out a little more, reminds me of a little girls tea party in the middle of a rose garden on a sunny spring day.

Dry: On me Alice is mostly milk and honey, but the rose and carnation keep it from being overly sweet. It reminds me of a young lady just dicovering the world beyond her back yard for the first time. Or a crazy mad world of white rabbits, chesire cats and loony tea parties! I'd say Beth captured the essence of Alice just prfectly.

Hmmm......I'm fairly certain that the description doesn't mention almond, so why is that the main thing I smell once it's on?

Well, either way, it's beautiful. Good thing for me that I do like almond. :P

In the bottle I smell lemon and maybe some sort of sweeter fruit. Once on, I smell almond mainly, with lemon not far behind. 10 minutes on and it's lemon. Pure lemon and even the almond is gone. Strange, but very nice. This might be a 5ml in the future.

First impression: Earl grey tea! It smelled exactly like a slightly sweet/complex earl grey! I started getting really excited about this.

2 minutes later: My skin ate the bergamot (unhappy!) and all that was left was a slightly complex/nice baby powder. Nice, but not remotely as exciting. I now hate my skin chemistry.

2 hours late: a pale, lightly sweet scent leftover.

Stupid skin chemistry. If it stayed the way it did in the first minute I would've LOVED it.

To start out with, I put on way more of this than I usually do when first trying scents! Yikes!

I wanted to try Alice because I love Snow White and people always say if you love Snow White to try it!

Wet: I get sweet roses

Dry: Turns to milky honey sweetness. I don't dislike it but it isn't quite me.

If Alice is a child's tea party, then Dorian is an adult tea party. And I've always liked hanging out with adults more than children. Just a matter of personal preference, really, the scent itself is lovely.

I adore Alice! Wet, it smells like marzipan mixed with something sweet and spicy - probably the carnation - and just a touch of cream. As it begins to dry the flowers become more prominent, still with that sweetly spicy, creamy background. I find this quite a long lasting scent that deepens into something beautiful and amberry. This was an imp in my vry first order of BPAL, had to get a 10ml of it! :P

This was a freebie from the lab, so I had to give it a try even though I know that honey = Play-Doh on my skin.

In the vial: Alice was very sweet. I could smell light milk and could already sense the powdery note that turns into Play-Doh.

On my skin: Wow! No Play-Doh yet! Alice is a lovely blend of milk and honey.

Drydown: A spicy scent intermingles with the milk and honey. I am not sure if it is the carnation or the bergamot. I don't pick up any rose from Alice at all. The spicy scent is able to stave off the powdery note for about ten minutes beore it morphs into Play-Doh and destroys Alice.

I can see why so many people love this scent but it just doesn't work on my skin.

I received this lagniappe from the Lab with my last order.

This is a lovely, feminine blend. My skin loves carnation, so that is the most dominant note, but the milk and the bergamot are bringing up the rear beautifully. It's soft and floral and creamy and spicy all at once. I can definitely see why it's hard to get a hold of this scent. :P

I was sure I wouldn't like this but I always want to try the most popular scents despite that. Through lucky circumstances in a swap with Kellia (thanks!) I got to try it.

And I'm surprised.

In the vial, the bergamot and honey give it an earl grey tea type smell.

But wearing, those scents fade to the background and it's mostly milk and powdery carnation on me, with tiny hints of rose here and there.

I LOVE that that the milky scent actually is noticeable and true on me (because in

so many of the other blends it either outright disappears or is a bit "turned" on me, and is one of my biggest BPAL heartbreaks)

It does have a bit of that baby powder aspect, but I don't find it to be too overwhelming or offensive, stays pretty close to the skin. And it doesn't go overwhelmingly sweet on me at all, as many blends with honey do.

It makes for a lovely, light, feminine spring/summery scent and invokes the idea of "Alice" just perfectly.

It's SO not a "me" scent, but honestly, I can't stop sniffing myself when wearing it.

And I keep thinking I'll give the imp to my sister, because it's very much a "her" scent, but somehow I keep "forgetting" to.

In summary: a very unexpected like for me.

This is actually what I'd half-expected Chaste Moon to smell like: Dana O'Shee's cheeky-sweet kid sister. It stays pretty static from first application to its final fading gasps; I get mostly carnation on my skin, but the other notes put in respectable appearances as the indispensable backup singers, chiming in in perfect harmony.

Going to need a bottle of this, once I can afford it.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Innocent.

In the bottle: Sweet, flowery cream with a bit of honey. Pretty!

On skin, wet: Flowery... powder? Wow, why am I liking this? It's sweet and floral and powedery. The honey's there, but not very prominent. Very sweet and pre-teeny.

On skin, dry: Warm, floral cream with a dash of honey and spice. Oddly, the rose isn't overpowering the blend yet -- it's there, but lingering behind everything else. It makes me think of how baby powder may smell if one added rose petals, honey and dried milk to. Very, very lovely.

Conclusion: I must admit, I'm very surprised that I like this as much as I do. The more I wear it, the more I like it. It's very pretty and sweet and kind of innocent, but I'm growing very fond of it.

Edited by Aredhel

Vial: Ew, baby powder and sweetness...

Wet: Still baby powder, but I like this more. I can smell more honey.

Drying: Man, that baby powder will NOT go away.

Dry: Ooh!! Complete change of scent. Now I get honey, black tea, and a milky sweetness. Maybe the milky-ness was the cause of the babypowder smell before?

After 15 mins: I'm in LOVE. Total love. Warm honey, milk, black tea, and a hint of something flowery-sweet. I want to wear it everywhere and am glad I have 10ml on the way.

After 4 hours: Oh, boo, it's mostly gone. Time to reapply!

this smells like someone made cinnamon toast (the way i like it, drowned in cinnamon sugar) and didn't clean up the counters afterwards.

well, at least it does for the first half hour or so. then my boyfriend says, "you smell strange. like baby powder."

granted, it smells like baby powder with a tiiiiiny bit of cinnamon (it's probably the carnation i'm smelling) and a little bit of cream tea, but still. definitely baby powder.

second one in a row that's done that to me!

This already has so many reviews, but it is still a personal favorite of mine, so I thought that I would throw mine in as well.

I love this scent. On initial application I get a mixture of powdery soft rose and spicy carnation. The smell of a very proper and elegant woman's perfume. However, under that perfume is a mixture of the most perfect honey cake, milk, and sugared sweetness. Very much the innocent prepubescent girl. And that is the perfect image that it conjures up for me. I see a young girl in a cute sundress, wearing her mother's perfume and trying desperately to appear grownup. It is a very manipulatively naive sweetness. The effect on me is very sweet, spicy, and sexy - everything I want in a scent. :P

The staying power of this one is also amazing. It loses more and more of the floral as hours go by, so that 8 hours later I am smelling of honey cakes, cream, and sugar. It's delicious and I am in love. This is the only BPAL that I am plotting to order a 10 ml of. <3

alice.jpg

Another of the Mad Tea Party series which is excellent. Again the notes of: tea, carnation, and a very light musk are brought into play, but this time there is a licorice or anise note playing in the background which is utterly delightful. There is a deep nod to organdy pinnafores and hair bows, to the musk (which reminds you of clean laundry), but the anise kick in Alice gives it a flowery whiff that sets it apart from the happy dignity of The Lion. Lots of staying power.

I usually do not like musk in any form at all, but Beth has managed to blend this form of musk in to matching one of the elements of the head or middle notes, so this base note seems right for the application. Bravo! One of my major favorites.

Amazing how different these scents are on each of us! I like Alice, but she does not seem to want to hang around for me. I got a big whiff of honey and a milkiness when first applied and poor Alice did not even hang around long enough to go to the powdery phase I so wanted. This is just my first try with Alice, so I'll keep using my imp because the fragrance is so alluring and we'll see how it works.

Update 5 days later- Alice wants to play! I gave Alice another try today, and I am so glad that I did. I'll not ever know what the difference between the 1st try and today was, but I absolutely love Alice at this moment. What a clean, powdery (I love powdery) delight! The carnation, amber and honey balance perfectly. No milk to my nose this time, the bergamot was very faint, but I can see this becoming a favorite; I keep sniffing my wrists and sighing :P

Edited by Celogrl

Alice is the shy little girl hiding behind the teapot and floral arrangements at a tea party. On my skin, the scent is sweet and soft and all but invisible. I smell a little whiff of something milky- the smell of a clean, happy newborn who just fed. It is comforting and pleasant, but I practically need to stuff my wrist straight up my nose to smell anything at all.

Alice is the scent of tea and flowers. While I can't always arrange a proper afternoon tea, I can easily slather on a little Alice oil. lovely.

I was so excited to get this imp, and I was so sad to find out it doesn't work for me.

On my skin, all I get is an overwhelming candy-coated sweetness, like what happens when I overdose on cake from the grocery store that has that ultra sweet, fluffy frosting in gobs on it. From a distance, it's so tempting, but too much is a recipe for tummy unhappiness. So it was with Alice. I got no rose, and barely any powder, just a plasticky sugar smell. It is not a particularly lasting fragrance, which turned out to be good for me but is bad for those who love it!

I will probably try Alice again, just to make sure, but I think this is going to be swapped to someone who will give it the home it deserves.

Wow. Wow. I really did not feel the love for this blend in the imp, but once on? Oh my god. Sugar sweet and herbal sharp, citrus tart and milky cream. This is impulsive innocence in a bottle, and I love it. This just made it into my personal top ten list, I think.

I didn't *get* Alice. Maybe I need to try it again another day when I'm at full health, but it kind of smelt like the inside of my newly dubbed BPAL box - genericly sweet. It smelt like White Rabbit without the subtlety, and I had it on for four hours and it seems to dry down to just this sweet nothing smell. I put it in my oil burner cos it's pretty enough so maybe it'll work better as a room scent. That's probably blasphemous! :P

But maybe my nose is just fatigued.

I swapped for a 5 ml of Alice with a forumite because I was SURE I would love it. And I do--in the bottle! I can smell the bergamot, the creaminess, the rose and the carnation.

However, I hadn't tried any other blends with carnation as one of the predominant notes before. Unfortunately, my skin seems to amp up the carnation so it almost ends up a very strong carnation single note. I like carnations, but I don't buy them for their fragrance! :P