Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
devilot

Bat of Wealth

There will be five scents exclusive to Bats Day, representing the Wufu: the Five Bats of Happiness.

BAT OF WEALTH
Heliotrope, pomegranate, blackberry, bergamot, and patchouli.

In the bottle: Dark and rich. I can smell the syrupy sweetness of the pomegranate and the patchouli is noticeable but not "ZOMG I shall kick your behind!" patchouli (thank goodness). Something a little sharp, too-- maybe it's the bergamot?

Wet: So deliciously moody and full. This is a truly rich blend and one of my favorite "dark" blends I've had the pleasure of trying so far. Reminiscent of Mme. Moriarty but somehow softer around the edges-- well-blended. Some of that blackberry comes out now.

Drydown: Still wonderful, and as a patchouli-hater and patchouli-amper, this blend still works! My nose can detect the patchouli but there's just enough of it to ground the scents, to add allure and intrigue. Wow. I just realized this is meant to symbolize 'wealth' and it really does smell incredibly rich-- sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I can't help it! It's also somewhat figgy now. So an earthy fruity fig. Mmm.

Verdict: I am so pleased I have one bottle and am wondering how I'll manage to get another. :blush:

Bat of Wealth

The bottle is full of pomegranate-y goodness. Freshly applied to my skin, the oil is bergamot like WHOA. After twenty minutes or so, the pom, blackberry, and patchouli come up to play. I agree that it's a heavy scent, but not so heavy that it can't be worn in spring and summer.

Final verdict? :wub2:

Bat Of Wealth:

This is gorgeous freshly sniffed from the bottle all the way to drydown! It doesn't change much at all on me and has lasted all throughout the day while being very close to the skin. I keep getting wafts of it where it touched my sleeve from initial application (thus stronger) and I continually find myself huffing my shirt sleeve. :wub2:

In a nutshell, this is what I wanted Agony of Heartache to smell like. :joy: The patchouli is brightened enough by the blackberryberry and pomegranate combination to carry this scent to a year around love. So if you liked Agony of Heartache in the beginning, found the citrus notes to stand out the longer you wore it and decided it wasn't for you even though you loved the blackberry.....HUNT THIS ONE DOWN, SERIOUSLY! This combination will not disappoint you. :thud:

Oh, so happy I took a chance on this bottle. :heart:

1045330776_JYG3m-Ti.jpg

When opening the bottle, I got a strong blast of...berry??? Hey, I was expecting pomegranate! Then I dabbed some on, and was immediately calmed down, because there was my longed-for pomegranate -- along with lovely patchouli and a bit of bergamot as well! Yum, yum, yum! As my good friend, The_Witching_Hour said, this is what Agony of Heartache should have been, but just missed the mark (imo, the citrus notes did something strange in that blend).

The throw is medium, not overpowering but not gone, the stay (so far) is quite good. It's been a couple of hours since first application, and so far no diminishing in its lovely scent. The patchouli and bergamot keep the pomegranate from being too sweet, and the pomegranate keep the others from being too 'earthy,' and will make this blend acceptable to many who might otherwise dislike it. And upon drydown, a bit of the heliotrope mentioned peeks out, thereby completing this scent experience in a wholly delightful way. 5 of 5 stars!

(Please excuse the slight dip into formality; I'm reading Pride and Prejudice again.)

Edited by stellans

In bottle: Bright tart berry goodness. This reminds me of a juice or a candy but I can't think of what exactly at the moment. Maybe it will come to me later. Sweet, yet tart, and a little chalky. Like maybe bottlecaps candy??

Wet on skin: Tartness goes away a bit. Sweet candy.

Dry on skin: Same as wet. Most things don't morph on me.

I was hoping for more patchouli.... but it is still very lovely!

I am a bit worried about the patchouli in this, but everything else sounds lovely...blackberry? Pom? Bergamot? I'm in!

Oooo, I'm not sure how this will go on my skin, but it's nice in the imp-rich and dark-dark earthy/dirty blackberry with a bit of that pom dryness! Mmm!

Oh man, the blackberry note is bliss! BUT, the patchouli may be a bit much for me. It's hard to tell...I think I like my blackberry more foody and less earthy..I'm gonna see how this dries down.

Ok-the patchouli is not too strong on this-it really mellows as it dries down. This is a great blackberry blend-thankfully, I don't NEED a bottle, because there is a certain red velvet blend covered in blackberry syrup that I prefer, but this blend is wonderful if you are looking for a less foody blackberry!

Sniffed: Very complex; not easily categorised. Herbal, fruity, and earthy all at once. I find the lab's bergamot note to be usually very light, but it's distinct here. Patchouli too, but it seems to be a not-too-dirty/strong one. I get more blackberry than pomegranate, but both are distinct, and so is the golden heliotrope.

Wet: Harsher, stronger. LOTS more bergamot and patchouli, to the point of manliness - and also, unfortunately, the herbal/patchouli/blackberry combo reminds me strongly of Agony of Heartache, a scent which (appropriately) broke my heart with its harsh unwearability. Same feel here, same patchouli note. Pomegranate and heliotrope are SO taking a beating.

Dry: Okay, things have settled a bit - it's lost the harsh edge on the whole, and I'm feeling less heartbroken. I still dislike this patchouli - it's that 'red patchouli' which in addition to ruining AoH for me, ruined much of the Grindhouse. The bergamot is still strong, but nice now, and way more heliotrope has come out. Blackberry remains very strong, and pomegranate very light.

Later: Not much morphing, though the heliotrope is fading a bit. This patchouli just won't soften on me and I can't shake the AoH/Grindhouse association. The bergamot, too, is just a bit astringent for my tastes. A shame, because the blackberry note is very strong. Still not really any pomegranate.

Summary: Harsh red patchouli, herbal-sharp bergamot, and a strong wild blackberry note with glimmers of heliotrope. Good throw and longevity, and surprisingly unisex. Wild and herbal, sort of 'rustic' in feel.

I had the most hope for this Bat...and it ended up being a 3rd. *sigh*

It's scruffy-sweet, no - it's bubblegum, no - it's coconut ... er ... coconut bubblegum?

I keep getting coconut with sweetness. Cuddling with husband, he says "You smell like berries"

I have worn this for 5 minutes and love love love it.

On me this is straight up blackberry and pomegranate with just a teensy bit of patchouli in the background. Like, just barely a hint - enough that I know it's there, but not enough to be a major player. The heliotrope didn't come out to play at all for me, and the bergamot emerged after the first half hour or so to cut through the berry sweetness. It was much more similar to Bat of Virtue than I thought it would be, but just different enough to be its own scent :) As with the other bats, I found this didn't have much throw or staying power. I think Virtue lasted the longest.

Sniffing the bottle, this is rich berry & patchouli blend.

Wet on my skin, I'm getting patchouli, pomegranate, blackberry, and bergamot.

Dry, this is a a bit spicy with blackberry, bergamot, and patchouli. I have to be very careful with patchouli blends, but this one just works wonderfully for me.

Definitely worth keeping. :)

Mmmmm... in the bottle, beautiful berries and pomegranate with just a hint of green

When it first goes on my skin, it's mostly pomegranate but not a sweet type, more a musky kind. The blackberry's there too, and very faint is the bergamot. I can't actually smell any patchouli on its own, but I think that's what's behind the musky dryness of the fruit.

Half an hour in, it's all dark fruity berries and the heliotrope is there now, so it's sweetened up a bit.

After an hour, it's faded down nicely into a very musky soft berry. A masterful blend!

Wet, this is a bit cacophonous. The pomegranate and berry want attention and sing loud and proud, but the patchouli tries to drown them out, elbowing them like Diana Ross did Mary Wilson on the Motown Special.

But on drydown, the sweet, dark fruits take the lead and don't let go. It's like Martha Reeves joined them and sang brassily, "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide." Or something. Maybe the bergamot?

I don't smell any heliotrope.

Throw and wear-length is above average and I just love this Bat.

Bat of Wealth

In the imp: pomegranate and patchouli, mmm!

Wet on skin: now I smell blackberry, but it still smells predominantly of pom ‘n patch.

Dry on skin: oh dear. Once dry, blackberry does the thing I dreaded. It gives me the ‘bad kitty’ reaction. It’s like a tomcat has approached my wrist and is spraying all over the gorgeous pomegranate and heliotrope notes! The patch doesn’t help, it seems to make the cat pee scent even more pronounced like it did in Agony of Heartache, whilst the bergamot, a note I usually like, does the same thing-enhances the blackberry-gone-bad on me. what’s more, something in here seems to be turning to soap?

After a while: the cat pee fades a little and the scent remaining is back to pomegranate, and in here it reminds me of Penumbra, but a bit soapier. Not sure where the soap comes from. But it’s a deep purple pomegranate-patchouli scent with a bit of berry, but overall I do prefer Penumbra, with its smoky resinous depth. This one smells a bit tinny and strange.

Verdict: as expected, this didn’t work, thanks to blackberry, aka ‘bad kitty berry’. And yes, this berry did the cat pee thing here too. a shame really because I loved what the pomegranate was doing, especially when it mixed with the patchouli. However when the blackberry interacted with the patch, it seemed to make the ‘territorial tomcat’ scent even dirtier. And there was also a soap note, not sure where from, that I didn’t like. Not for me…I’m glad I don’t need to track any more down.

Emoticon rating: :sick:

Is it a keeper? Nope.

In the vial: Patchouli and fruit with a bite. Wow, delicious.

Wet: Fruit and bergamot over a thick layer of patchouli. Oh boy, if the heliotrope behaves I'm going to love this.

45 minutes: This is yet another in the long line of fruity patchouli scents I love. If this were a GC, I'd wear it regularly. Since it's not, and I only have an imp, I shall have to see whether it justifies trying to track down a whole bottle. But it's the first scent containing heliotrope that actually works on me, so I'm happy.

Two hours: Still wonderful. There's a slightly more menthol note in the patchouli now, and the blend is less obviously fruity, but it still makes me want to nom my arm.

Four hours: Still nommable. This has turned out to be more consistent on me than any of the other Bats, and it's right in my zone. Wonder if I can get any more?

I am just thrilled to pieces to have found a swapee who was willing to part with her bottle of Bat of Wealth! I'm always on the lookout for something similar to Crypt Queen, one of my undying (pardon the pun) loves, and so that's what I was hoping for with Wealth.

In bottle: LOTS of heliotrope as well as bergamot! The effect is sweet and fruity, but the florals fake my nose out at first by lending the impression of a much sweeter fruit than I know are lurking about underneath.

Wet: For the first few minutes, the florals are still dominant, but not overwhelming. As I was hoping for something akin to Crypt Queen, this is a much a much juicier scent than I was expecting -- these are fresh fruits and flowers from the garden, with just a tinge of soil still clinging to them, as opposed to overripe fruit (juices fermenting) at the bottom of the compost heap. Sadly for me, whatever blackberry is lurking in this scent seems to be hiding.

Dry: Ahh, the patch is finally coming out to play and comingling with the fruit a little more. It's pretty faint, but has a little spicy tang which I get when I take a deep breath.

Verdict: I think with some further aging everything will round out, but I have to say this is the less dead cousin of the Crypt Queen. :lol:

It's very pretty, and will make a great earthy scent for the summers down South. :wub2:

I kinda enjoy this one. I agree that this patchouli has a hard edge, but I find the pomegranate + blackberry combo is quite nice. I get a little more of the heliotrope on the drydown. But yeah, definitely fruit, with a warm, hard dirty patchouli as a base.

If the patchouli were just a teensy bit softer on me, I think I could swing this.

In the bottle: Fruity patchouli. It sounds hilarious but it smells delicious. I think I picked both of the "fruit" bats. (Virtue being the other.) I think the heliotrope is a little stronger on second sniff.

On the skin: I'm deducing that's bergamot. It's the strongest, battling with the heliotrope. On the dry down the blackberry comes out, very subtle like berries in the sun. It's quite a blend going on. Then it morphs into patchouli and I'm not sure I'd wear this much. Still a lovely scent for a little bat.

Another wonderful, berry scent from the lab! I get blackberry/pomegranate with the patchouli that adds a bit of a "bite" to it and keeps the blackberry from making this blend become too sweet. I love heliotrope, but I don't smell it here. I'm hoping it will come out, though, as I love heliotrope, which is basically a vanilla scent to me. I'll enjoy my imp during the summer months, while it lasts of course! I find it's kind of in the same family as Dionysia, Couple's Consulting an Enpon, and Makhanaitis. If you like those blends, I'm sure you'd like this one!

ADDED Nov. 9:

Thanks to Twilight Eyes for frimping me this one!! Wet, this is all heliotrope. As it dries, the pomegranate and the blackberry come out, and their sweetness is tempered by the patchouli. I love this, as with most berry blends, and will treasure my imp.

Wowza. This is stunning. Right off the bat (haha) this is all pomegranate and blackberry. It has fizzy note, and it feels like I just poured some fruity cocktail all over my skin. It is cool and very refreshing. After a few moments the fizzy note fades away and the earthiness from the patchouli kicks in. I love how it instantly tempers the sweetness and somehow the bergamot and heliotrope slink in afterwards, but not overshadowing the fruits or the patchouli. Bat of Wealth is beautiful and kinda reminds of berry picking up north. The sweetness of the fruits mingles with earthy patchouli and together they combine beautifully.

Decant: blackberry and bergamot with hints of patchouli to come

Wet On Me: mmmm I love Beth’s Blackberry scents when they are not foodie. I get the patchouli now.

Drying down: blackberry patchouli with touches of pomegranate and bergamot….all dancing as one!

Dry: WOW! This is amazing! Gonna have to seek out more of this. I love how Beth blends blackberry and patchouli for this amazing perfume. All the other notes just add to the joy under my nose!

My skin chemistry absolutely murders this scent. The blackberry on its own is pleasant enough, but a bit bitter & funky on me. The bergamot makes it even sharper and more sour on me, though, and the pomegranate smells like bitter sweet tarts. So, I get an overall feel of bitter, sour fruit with an extra shot of sour lemon.

Heliotrope smells like sweet vanilla powder on me, so I was hoping that it would come in and soften the blend, but heliotrope is nowhere to be found :(. As this dries down, I get a bit of earthy, funky patchouli. I normally love patchouli (except the red variety), and this one isn't working on me. Something about the mish mash of fruit is just going all wrong on me.

My boy told me that I smell like spoiled fruit when I wore this :/

Hmm........... kinda on the fence about this one. It's kinda nice, but it reminds me of stuff I already have. It's probably going in the swap pile.

I smell cologne in the imp, not in an "astringent" sense, more like an "expensive smells that I might expect to find on a boy" sense. Patch and berries but it ends up more masculine than that sounds.

Er, I wanted to record how Bat of Wealth smelled wet, but it dried superfast and is almost gone. It's only been three minutes since I applied it, that's weird. Well, anyway, what's left behind, VERY close to my skin, is that blend of dark berries and patchouli. They're balanced perfectly, the patch doesn't overwhelm the berries or vice versa. There is a little bit of an edge to it which might be the heliotrope -- a note I cannot wear well -- but it doesn't overpower the good smells.

One last note: just like Bat of Health, I thought this one was on its way to completely disappearing, but the super-light version has stuck around a while.

A rich scent by all means. The sticky dark juices of blackberry and pomegranate really make their presence known here, and the patchouli gives just a hint of dark earthiness. If you're a patchouli-phobe, it barely comes out in this at all; just gives it a a nice depth. I can't make out the heliotrope and bergamot specifically, but that's probably because they meld seamlessly with the more prominent notes to add more dimension. This is one delicious (and calorie-free!) bat :yum:

First application and for several minutes until drydown, Bat of Wealth is a huge blast of pomegranate mostly, and the bergamot hitching a ride under it all. If there's blackberry, I can't smell it - the pom is totally dominant here. It takes the patchouli about ten minutes to show up, and it's a sharp, dirty patchouli - it's still a very *good* patchouli, but not as smooth and mellow as I get from other blends. I think this is more what I was hoping for from Depraved (except for it having apricot instead of pomegranate). I get the fizz comparison - it's almost alcoholic. Yummy.