Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheDarkMother

Horn of Plenty

Forces a change of fortune, helps overcome poverty and want, and helps attract prosperity, prestige and earthly bounty.

In the bottle, this smell like - and I almost hate to say it - those magic markers we used to sniff when we were kids to get a buzz.

Once applied, it smells a lot like High John. Not the oil, but the root. Like fresh High John root sliced open.

Once it dries down I get some sweetish fruity notes that linger for a long time with lots of throw. I don't particularly care for the scent, but I didn't buy it for the smell.

As a money oil I've had some modest success with it, so thumbs up!

Mint, almond, cherries or chocolate? What is that? I definitely get vanilla, and a lot of herbs.

On application, this becomes a very sweet yet very herbal blend. It's hard to pick out notes. Vanilla, almonds, and some lively spice, all layered over a background of bitter herbs. The effect is interesting – like sugar syrup added to some foul concoction to make it go down easier.

The throw is very pleasant. Clean and herbal, with a touch of a very dark, grainy, roasted vanilla, not the soft, white, whipped vanilla.

I'm not married to it; it's strictly all right as scents go.

I get the cherry-almond-vanilla sweetness from this that people mention, but it's a tamer almond than the very amaretto-like note in some other blends. As this dries, some very nice golden incense/resinous notes come up, accompanied with something that's strangely nose-opening, rather sharp. Throw is good; drydown is sweet and creamy -- the aftertaste of a cherry-vanilla cola?

As a Voodoo Blend? I am seriously starting to get nervous. Last night, sort of desperately hoping, I scented a room with this and swiped some across my wallet and the notes in it. Today, I got news that my poverty and want for the summer will, indeed, be partially overcome (translated: I've been assigned a class for the late-summer term, where previously I was looking at no paychecks until September). It would be a very odd world if there were no coincidences... but, dude. :P

In the imp: Boozy! Something like alcohol and tobacco, with... something sweet in there as well.... Wait... now it's almonds and cherry cough medicine.

On the wrist: Very almonds and cherries. This smells like marzipan and cherries drowning in booze sitting in a room with a cigar.

Dry: It stays pretty much the same dry, it's a very consistent scent on me. After a while, however, it gets very sharp. Same scent, just...sharp. I may keep an imp of this around for money help, but I don't see myself wearing it frequently.

We have another Winner here. Let me first disclose that I smelled this without any preconceived notions, unlike my usual obsessive way of reading the ingredients first. Also, as I received this as an imp, I had NO IDEA it was a voodoo blend. So my interpretation of "horn of plenty" was "oh, like a corucopia that you have at Thanksgiving, or, if your Pagan, Samhain!"

And, interestingly, my preconceived notion possible influenced my interpretation of the blend, because I found myself thinking--ahhhhh this smells like Thanksgiving. When the pies and desserts are heating up in the background as everyone sits down to dinner to eat. Of course I don't smell any turkey! But there are pie smells in the background, buttery smells, cherry or cranberry! blended in, and subtle herbs and spices. There is also a warm feeling, and a touch of vanilla and almond. The almonds and ?cherries are not overpowering though, and everything is well blended.

I cannot attest to its voodoo properties, but it makes you feel prosperous. This is a nice somewhat foody blend that isn't too sweet or screaming "Eat me, I smell like cookies."

Good wearlength, and I'd say medium throw as well.

I will use up and hoard more imps, and I am considering buying a big bottle. :D :P :D

In the imp: Fresh sort of herbal smell. Fairly pleasant.

Wet on skin: Just very herbal sort of smell & a teensy bit sweet. I really can't pick any particular notes out.

Dry on skin: :P Oh god this goes to the horrible curry sort of smell that happened with Music of Erich Zahn. I'd love to see it's effects but it smells rancid on me.

In the imp: cherries. thought I wouldn't like it, but wet on the skin it immeadiately began to change. No cherries at all. Almond, cinnamon, dragon's blood. Dry I get that smoky vanilla that some people were talking about and a hint of grapefruit, of all things. But I like it.

Bottle: Smoky almond

Wet: Smoky almond with fake cherry plastic scent.

Drydown: Too fake for me, but we'll see if it brings money!

3.0 outta 5

Banana laffy taffy? Am I the only one getting banana? I don't know, but I hope not lol. It smells a lot like tanning lotion to me - banana and warm vanilla and a sort of smokey vibe. Some almond in there? It all comes together beautifully. Don't know if this oil does what it says it does, but it certainly smells nice and is very unique!

In the vial - Delicious, sweet, thick almond

Wet on the skin - This is a very happy scent - the almond is sweet and rich, and there's an undertone of ripe fruit. I can smell something that's almost like bubblegum as well. Lingering below the sweetness, however, is something slightly bitter and herbal that I'm not sure I like. Since I buy the Voodoo Blends largely for magical rather than cosmetic purposes, I'm not too worried.

Dry down - There's an earthy, musky note that lingers after the almond scent has vanished. It reminds me a little of vetiver but as far as I know vetiver isn't used in prosperity magic, so I have no idea what this note could be.

Magical effects/atmosphere: I certainly feel more alert and awake today and ready to take on the challenges of the work day.

In the bottle: Light honey coloured oil. Sharp, green, and sweet. A little nutty - either nuts or grains of some sort.

Wet: Gentler, less astringent, nuttier. The green note is still rather bitter. This is sweeter, almost foody. I'm getting an anise type note, and maybe some bitter almond. A little smoky.

Dry: This oddly separates into components more clearly as it dries: tobacco, vanilla, bitter almond, maybe some vetiver and frankincense too. So far, the vanilla is not taking over.

Summary: Sweet, smoky, bitter, and herbal. That bitter tobacco takes the fore, with heavy, foody vanilla right behind it, and lastly the bitter almond. Other smoky, sweet, and cloying incense notes mingle behind. Revolting on me, like stale cigarettes dipped in fake vanilla syrup. Strong throw - impossible to wash off.

My favorite BPAL scent so far, it comes the closest to yummy pipe tobacco of anything I've smelled so far. My imp seems a little cherrier than the bottle I just got, but it's all perfect. In the bottle I smell cherry, something alcoholic without striking ME as medicinal, something peppery, and rich, wet tobacco.

On me it gets deliciously smoky; the new bottle seems to have a little more of something green in it (but not headache green, just something alive and wet which balances out the smokiness so it never gets chokey/throat-drying which tends to happen to me with incense, etc.).

As far as the artificial smell some people have remarked on, I don't get that (and I don't actually *mind* fakey plastic smells so I would say, since they often appeal to me). I also don't smell anything as being sugary or too sweet (though it *is* a half-sweet smell). It's the perfect, swirling, spicy, secure pipe-n-leatherbound-book sex-in-the-gentleman's-library smell. Someone else felt like it smells more like a room than a person; it does have an atmospheric appeal to it, but not in a yankee candle or even a foody way to me. If it is a room, it's a rich wood-paneled room with a devilishly powerful person sitting in it, tamping tobacco down in a pipe and lacing everything with booze and chocolate covered cherries and heart-thumping heat. Again, not in a kitchen-like way; more like the afterglow of sex, food, and smokes.

As far as vanilla goes, I never smell anything I recognize as vanilla. Example: snake oil on me smells WRETCHED, powdery, and awful. I like vanilla, I just never receive it or it turns on me or something so yeah -- I don't sniff Horn of Plenty and recognize any vanilla. It's probably just me.

In terms of attracting wealth, I do like wearing this because it keeps me focused on that and makes me FEEL rich, like I smell like a powerful, hedonistic book-reading man or lazy velvet-robed plump whore-lady by the fire. I can't say that I've noticed money suddenly appearing every time I wear it, but I do feel like I'm *destined* for great wealth when I wear it. I put it on before I sit down to work and feel like I've already built empires.

Both the scent and the purpose are exactly what I want and love. Absolute perfection. I wish I knew what was in it so I could find more like it since my skin is so hard-to-please and I'm sensitive to so many things that give me headaches or make my throat dry and scratchy. Horn of Plenty agrees with me very well. I LOVE THIS STUFF!

Gritty cherries. That's mostly what it smells like to me. I think there might be some vetiver in it, and there's also something smooth. It smells a bit like a vanilla-cherry combination, but not like a Blow Pop at all due to the dark notes. I think the grittiness is from the vetiver. It smells a bit herby, too. Kinda sharp and bold. But smooth. Interesting.

I don't like the smell...it's cherry enough in the imp that it's nice there, but on me the cherry disappears and I'm just left with the acidic, bitter smell. It doesn't smell like vetiver to me, but it's as disagreeable on my skin as vetiver is. I'll update the review if I begin trying it for its effects :P.

imp: musk, vetiver... maybe tobacco?

wet: cherry with the smoky vetiver scent... still a bit musky and a bit spicy... unusually beautiful.

dry: this smells like very sweet tobacco and musk on my skin. i will be needing a bottle of this.

I found this one to have a heavy almond scent. Almost a cherry almond. It has something underneath that is kind of herbal. I don't mind the scent. I've worn it a few times and I find if I wear it when I work on items for my shop then I do sell more items. I also used the teeniest drop of this oil on the paperwork I dropped off at the post office when I applied for the temporary job that I seem to have gotten. So, I have found some success when using this oil for prosperity. I usually use it in conjunction with my own prayers.

Ugh, cherries, cedar and overwhelmingly sweet. Two of my worst notes, I also get some nuts, but maybe it's the cherry. Must get this off, one of the rare bpal that makes me feel ill.

I had hubby try this today, hoping it would help with them putting a rush on his mileage check. :P

At first I wasn't crazy about the scent. It was rather sharp and harsh smelling, with something sweet at the end. Once it dried though it smells very nice. For some reason on him it smells like black coconut, a bit of almond, tobacco, and High John root.

I'm going to have to try it myself, because if it smells that good on me, I'll have to get a bottle just to wear. :D

In imp - Foody/fruity scent, pleasantly sweet.

Wet on skin - almondy now, still foody. Kind of nice.

Drydown - This is almost herbal in its dry down, kind of miss the notes in its wet stage.

Overall - I’d prefer to use this in a burner, or as a candle anointment reap its benefits. I wore it out furniture shopping with my mom and I was hoping it was getting her a superb deal! Anyways I think it worked well, but the dry down scent is not for me.

Bottle: Hawthorn is all I can smell.

Wet: Ugh. Hawthorn.

Dry: I wish this had changed but it just didn't. Hawthorn. Too dry and woody -- almost make my eyes and nose burn a bit.

in the imp: lots of almond, and a slight breath of patchouli.

wet on skin: pretty much the same, thought i detect an undernote of black cherry bark.

dry down: the above, only now there's a hint of spice thrown in for good measure.

in all: not necessarily an oil i would wear just for the scent, it's certainly not terrible, either. i will keep my imp and do some spell work with it. hopefully, it will bring some funds into my very meager bank account!

:D

lab frimp. Thanks guys! How'd you know the Spousal Equivalent got laid off and we could use some plenty of our own now?

the oil is dark and thick. so I was pleasantly surprised to smell CHERRIES! or something fruity.

wet on skin: yep, still cherries, with something a tad medicinal in the back, but not in a bad way. it's distinctive, and different.

after ten minutes: boy, this is taking forever to dry down. it must be some pretty viscous stuff. However, I smell the herby stuff more. Definitely vetiver in here, too.

drydown: sweet and rooty. deep and herbaceous. blends with a vetiver base almost always have strong throw and crazy wearlength but I haven't had it on long enough to test that. I also haven't been able to test the effects, since I just put it on. I'll keep the imp, though, for sure.

I got sasparilla out of this one when wet. Strangely, it quickly mellowed out to a creamy, pink and brown colored scent. Pleasant and creamy, but not quite my cup of tea. Faded pretty quickly.