Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

NYX

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

In Bottle: Myrrh

On Skin: This is pure myrrh. I have Penitence on my other arm and they smell quite similar except Penitence has the smoky frankincense and Nyx has florals. Nyx is a bit sickly sweet due to the jasmine whick quickly overpowers the myrrh and becomes the dominant note. I don’t really smell the rose other than a slight sour echo in the background. Nyx is much more feminine than Penitence and it doesn’t please me as much. I think the jasmine is just too strong for me because it’s starting to give me a headache. It has a super strong throw and fades slowly so an average wearlength.

The jasmine and myrrh are a good balance, I think. The jasmine doesn't get too soapy, and the myrrh doesn't go completely to incense. This is nice! The rose lends a sweet, clean aura to the overall blend, but it never takes over. There's a bit of smokiness to this, though it's cooler than I would expect. This is sensual, almost sultry, but distant at the same time. I really like it, though I can't picture myself wearing it a lot. I'll reserve judgment on a bottle, but I'll definitely hold on to the imp for now.

Based on the name, I expected a heavy, overpowering smell, and I was braced for the same, but instead this is the smell of the spaces between the stars: light, delicate, soft, and irreproachably lovely. The myrrh really warms the jasmine. (To play with synesthetic imagery, this smell is misty white over soft brown.) There’s a hint of something sweet and fruitlike hovering through the fragrance, but I can’t be more specific than that.

The delicacy of the scent remains distinct even as the jasmine comes through. At this point, the spaciousness of the smell is fading, but I don’t mind. This was interesting and elegant.

Sometimes night-blooming jasmine is a lot better for me than the usual jasmine. And, apparently, sometimes not. This one smells exactly like the kind of jasmine that I don't like, and it's much too powerfully jasmine-scented for me. It gets to be more tolerable when it's dry, but I have so many BPAL scents that I don't need to ever wear any that I tolerate rather than ones that I love or even simply like. So this one's going to swaps.

This was a frimp from the lab with my first order.

In the bottle: FLOWERS. I'm not especially good with flowers, so I couldn't really pick anything out, but boy is it strong.

Wet: More of the same, but I get whiffs of the jasmine and rose.

Dry: Flowers and more flowers. It's not too overpowering once dry, so a floral type person would probably like this.

Final thoughts: I loved the night blooming jasmine in Thalassa, so I thought maybe this one would work out for me, but I just don't think I'm a floral person. I can't tell one apart from another.

Nyx is pure sex!!! When applied I got something like ylang ylang and possibly sandalwood and assorted 'sex' florals! I get hints of a powdery drydown which could be the sandalwood, but this suits me fine as I do like it - it could be the jasmine and rose too. They got the blend just right here, it is smashing on my body chemistry.

I am actually a morning person. :P

In the vial:

Strong, heavy floral. Jasmine. Heavy stuff. When I first opened the vial, I didn’t think I liked it for whatever reason. I was very disappointed, because I had been most looking forward to smelling this scent, but put it aside until I had time to examine each one individually. I am so glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised when I took the time with this one.

On my skin:

Jasmine still, but not with so much of a kick, there’s something else to it. Smells like a warm night in a garden. It reminds me of talcum powder somewhere in there. On my skin it is soft, flowery, not overwhelming in any way. I can’t quite pick out rose there I’m afraid, but I do smell the myrrh.

My husband is crazy about Nyx on me (yay!). It’s my favorite too so far. Geeze, I want to bathe in it. I need a full bottle of this one.

Bottle: oh boy, there is myrrh in there. This may not bode well since that tends to go stale on my skin. I really hate smelling like an antique perfume bottle.

Self wet: yes indeed, there is myrrh on me, however there is also some floral behind it. Not stale but I don’t hold much hope. On drying it goes a bit green, floral that is, especially the rose is coming through. And the throw drops very quickly.

One hour later: no soap, for something with two flowers that’s good. And the myrrh is not going stale. Instead it has settled into this rose with an incense background, very light throw. Not bad, and I could wear it I think. I do have to put quite a bit on though to get smell.

Overall: for a rose smell, not half bad. I still have quite a few rose blends to try but this is one I will keep in mind. And happy myrrh is a major plus.

In bottle: interesting, a sweet, airy floral, with something else… must be the myrrh?

Wet on skin: dark! heavy and jasminey - don't really smell the rose at all.

A little while later... very jasmine, a cold, hollow, white, full moon kind of smell, against a dark background. I do think it lives up to its name.

Much later... fades, but the jasmine lingers on... and it's still heavy somehow

I think this scent is accurate to its description, but it's just too dark and too jasmine for me. I find it kind of "clunky" and too heavy for my tastes... maybe the myrrh? I haven't tried many blends with myrrh yet. I might keep my imp for now, but it's not an instant favorite.

this was a frimp from the lab, and i quite like it. the truth is, i love jasmine. the combination of jasmine and myrrh here gives a richness to the blend, and reminds me a bit of a less complex perfumed garden. i love perfumed garden more - nyx seems a little one-dimensional in comparison, but it might make a good substitute when i run out of PG. the rose doesn't pop out much, it's subtly blended in there, which is a good thing. nyx is a nice surprise for me.

In imp: super-duper floral, v strong jasmine with rose in a close second; I think it's the myrrh that pulls them together. Not sure how something so overtly floral will work on me psychologically (it's STILL in my nose).

Wet, on skin: it's like a perfume I've worn before, but junkie I am, hell if I know which one.

Drydown: augh! what is this? very flowery, anyway. maybe it's the flowers that I'm confusing with another fragrance. I do like it, but it's almost overwhelmingly floral. something I'd wear to church or to visit my stodgy Aunt Brenda to make her jealous because she would love it.

Dry: I no longer smell like a 5'3" night-blooming jasmine, but a pretty little shadow lurking outside your window after dusk. Much better given time to set in.

In the imp I smell mostly myrrh, but going on ALL I smell is rose. overwhelming rose.

After about an hour I smell the jasmine and it changes into something I can wear, but getting there? I am skirting the edge of a headache. I do like it once the rose has calmed down and started to disappear.

I think I'll give this one away, getting to the wearable stage is not worth the possibility of a headache.

ADDED: I reapplied in the afternoon and it became a definite NO! Go AWAY!

Not my cuppa at all.

Edited by juli

Nyx

deep yellow oil

Imp: A cooling, sweet jasmine.

Skin: Went a bit bitter, floury, and the jasmine smelt much stronger than it did in the imp. As soon as the oil seeped in, the rose bloomed, mellowing the scent. The bitterness is gone, and the florals are softer. Now its a half jasmine, half rose scent that is not too strong. The myrrh is just enough to hold the flowers together.

Somehow I get a flouriness in this. Not powdery, but floury. Like trying to dilute the scent with flour. Still, its quite sweet.

I didn't think it was dark either. Its medium, if I were to describe if it was sunny or dark.

It didn't have much throw, but even after the oil had dried completely, the scent was distinct and lasted a long time.

I like the name, it rhymes with mine, but the scent isn't my lingo.

This is a mellow, soothing and almost sleepy scent. The rose goes powdery on me, but the rest of the notes balances it out. It's a great mellow floral for those who love florals but might be tired of how "bright" they are, but as a whole it's not for me. I'm keeping the imp, though.

Nyx Review:

short version: ALL YOUR NYX ARE BELONG TO ME!!!

long version

In the imp: pure jasmine

On the wrist: glorious. Jasmine (which I wear as an essential oil betimes) with the myrrh making it deeper without overwhelming.

Dry: still exquisite. Jasmine haunted but not chased by other florals. Am too excited by it to make out the individual scents. It even has good throw!

Only thing that lets it down it that it fades after a couple of hours. 8.5/10

Even though its not listed in the ingredients, I got a definite warm nutty scent coming through when I first applied Nyx. As its settling down I'm getting the jasmine/rose blend. I'm not a big fan of rose scents because usually I find rose turning into bad old lady scent. Pity. I love roses, but it seems impossible to find a scent that smells like the fat blooms in my mother's garden.

The longer Nyx is on me, the more I smell rose...and the less I smell jasmine. I wish it were the other way around.

Off to the swaps with you!

In the imp and wet on my skin, Nyx had a pretty floral smell. I think I was getting more jasmine than rose. Unfortunately, it started to burn. As far as I know, I'm not sensitive to any of the listed ingredients, so I don't know what caused the reaction. I think I'll use Nyx as a room scent.

Not gonna work on me. But hey, it was a gift!

Imp: JASMINE

Wet: JASMINE.

Dry: SPICY JASMINE SOAP.

Thanks for the chance to try it, Labbies, but.... swaps.

Dare I dream of a rose blend to love? Nyx doesn't give me any trouble but I don't detect any trace of the befarious prickly rose in it.

Nyx is full-on, in your face jasmine. There is a bit of spiciness, but hardly any of the other notes come out to play. I really like it. It's like my very own jasmine SN.

In the imp: Jasmine and rose fight it out. No hint of the myrrh at all.

On the skin, wet: Ditto above. My skin seems to adore the floralness of rose and jasmine.

Dry: Florals fade into something more dark--like a burnt stick of floral incense. Must be the myrrh extending a hand to calm everyone else down.

Overall: Love it. It seems to be the scent that everyone likes once it reacts to my chemistry. Sweet and feminine.

In the imp: Jaaasmine!

Wet: This goes on all jasmine at first. After a bit, it blossoms into a richer, sweeter jasmine, not quite as dusty/dusky as most jasmines, so I'm guessing that's the myrhh. Interestingly enough, this doesn't go SN Myrhh on me, as blends with that note tend to do. I don't really get any rose.

Dry: This settles down into a soft jasmine/myrhh blend. I never get any rose. Unfortunately, I'm getting a somewhat marshmallowy tinge. Off to swaps!

When I smelled this in the imp, I knew I would like it.

The freshness of the rose is softened by the jasmine and warmed by the myrrh.

I'm not sure how often I will wear this, but I am hanging on to the imp and will enjoy it thoroughly. Why it is bringing me back to childhood, I am not quite sure, but I am liking it. At least a 4 out of 5, maybe more.

:P

ETA: I wore this again, and like it even more. I really love the scent of myrrh, which I didn't know well enough to recognize until now. It makes this floral warm and incensey, and keeps it from becoming boring or one-dimensional. I'm still not sure exactly why this scent is tugging at my heart, but it makes me feel relaxed and safe. I give it a 4.4 out of 5.

Edited by AEris

In the imp: nasty floral.

Wet: for about the first thirty seconds it is nasty, nasty floral, almost like hyacinth sap, if that makes any sense. Then suddenly it is sweet, delicious jasmine.

Drydown: balanced jasmine and rose, with myrrh bridging the gap between the two.

A surprise hit for me. Got better and better the longer I wore it. Did not turn soapy. Average wearlength and throw.