Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

While Nyx was a generous freebie from the Lab, I can't do jasmine because it turns to soap on my skin. Nevertheless, I try everything that the Lab throws into my order, because You Never Know. Sadly though, Nyx is instant soap despite the presence of rose and myrrh. Oh well, off to the swap pile where it will hopefully find a home with a jasmine-lover.

I put this on this morning without knowing its notes, and a few hours later kept thinking, "What smells like jasmine?" Well, it's me! This is mostly jasmine on my skin (I amp it up), and is slightly musty / dry. It's slightly sweetened by the myrrh (but not very much). It's OK, but I prefer The Caterpillar for my jasmine blend, so off to swaps this goes.

Edited by Shollin

Wet it's intense jasmine over a layer of myrrh.

It's quite like Flying Fox, from Lush.

Stays perfect, strong and true.

Incredible lasting power.

I like to try imps that come with my orders blind - without reading up on what's in them or what they're supposed to be first. I sniffed this in the imp and it smelled sweetish but not overpowering, and somewhat feminine and seductive. Put some on my wrists, inner elbows and neck, and wowie. It blew me away, came on very strong on me. I couldn't place the scent but it seemed familiar and lovely so when I searched on it and saw jasmine, I went AHA! We used to have a lot of jasmine draped over trellises in one of the houses I grew up in. Had to take a shower immediately after putting it on (unmissable shower-with-husband opportunity :P ) and it stayed pretty strong even after a shower. Unbelievable. I'll have to use a really light hand when applying this in the future. The husband in question thought it was wonderful though, so if the consensus stays that way, I may end up with a bottle. Definitely very, very feminine on me. I felt like I ought to put on something pale pink and ruffly.

Initial Sniff: Jasmine and myrrh... very smooth!

Wearing: This starts out as a lovely jasmine scent warmed by myrrh, but then the rose appears... and takes over. The drydown is pure rose on me.

Final Impressions: My archnemesis rose strikes again!

I don't get a whiff of rose from this, but the jasmine and myrrh are definitely there. Unfortunately they don't blend well on my skin.

grrrr....Was looking forward to REALLY liking this one. And although I do like it, as with w/Rapture, all jasmine on me. No rose, no myrrh...JASMINE.

The myrrh *did* peek out for about 2 seconds and then, JASMINE. Disappeared completely after just a few minutes and then, "Fooled ya! Here I am AGAIN!!" JASMINE.

As much as I like jasmine, guess I need to stay away from jasmine blends. Oh well.

ADDED June 29:

Spicy, musky jasmine. Really light and seems to want to fade quickly. Doesn't seem to matter what jasmine note is in a blend, 99% of the time, it overpowers everything else :D After about 10 minutes it mellows a bit but still no sign of the other notes.

Love jasmine, but its a hog on my skin :P

This one also gave me a headache, yay.

opening the imp, jasmine assaults my senses. it is all jasmine, no rose, no myrrh. and after a few minutes i start to get a bad headache (jasmine does it) i got fair warning it was a jasmine scent i was just hoping to smell some of the other notes along w/ it. this is perfect for jasmine loving gals. just not my bag

Nyx was a generous frrebie from a forumite. I can't say why I had Nyx on my wishlist, aside from the name. Nyx smells very innocuos in the vial.. faint even. But as others have mentioned, once on your skin Look Out! Jasmine and rose are equally touchy on my skin, so a war ensued...first soapy jasmine.. I sneezed... then the rose started to peek out, except it was turned extra-crispy by the myrrh... back to soapy jasmine overlying a sweet pink rose... lemony baby powder soap... there's the mrryh again, now we have slightly burnt baby powder... Aha, rose won! Lemony rose baby powder.

Not bad smelling, in the end... just not what I want to smell like.

I love myrrh, but in this oil it wars with the jasmine and rose and they take it prisoner. I am not a Jasmine Person, and only tangentially a Rose Person, so Nyx, despite the myrrh, will go to swaps. Not terribly long-lasting on me, but quite strong out of the vial and initially on my skin.

I got this one as a freebie from the lab with my first official order. Thanks!

In the vial and wet it smelled light and floral with a little something underneath, must be the myrrh. I couldn't really pick out any rose.

As it dried it stayed about the same. girly, floral, light.

After about 45 minutes it's more earthy. Like water on earth with flowers. I think someone mentioned a rain scent. I'm getting that, but with more earth in it.

Not sure this one's for me.

Nyx- a masterpiece! My second BPAL imp I've tried. My first was Cathode, which, while lovely, was very short lived on me and seemed more of a man's scent. Nyx is everything I thought BPAL would be! It hits with a masterful blend of jasmine and myrrh, early on I smelled something another reviewer described as "bubble gummy", to me its cotton candy, something bright and sweet and sugary. That rapidly faded and the myrhh turned smokey, delicious! Just the right hint of smoke to keep the jasmine from overriding this into a floral scent. I never did smell the rose. Now its almost 8 hours later and the cotton candy has returned and is reigning. What a sweet end. Definitely a most mysterious haunting blend. This would be lovely to wear on a serious date on a full moon night, or even to a coven circle. I guess the word that would sum up Nyx is mysterious.

Very floral at first: the syrupy strength of night-blooming jasmine. Softens to a gentle floral myrrh, quite dark and soft.

One of the haul from a friend; it's something I wouldn't try at all, because roses are tricky on me and I'm coming to expect that, plus I'm also discovering that jasmine appears to be a no no.

In the bottle: OMG nasal onslaught.

Wet and just starting to dry down on my wrist: Get this off NOW! It's giving me a headache.

I had to hit the dishsoap and wash up right quick; I just couldn't risk a headache in order to find out what it would be like in the dry down. Nancy doesn't like it either so it's going on the swap list.

The jasmine and myrrh are definitely the top notes. The combination of the two comes out amazingly smooth, and almost creamy for me. The rose is barely there, but shows enough to sweeten up the scent. This reminds me of old, antique places and dusty rooms full of treasures long forgotten. It's dark, but seductive and gentle at the same time. I will certainly enjoy my impie.

Lovely lovely jasmine with an undercurrent of myrrh holding it up. I can barely detect the rose, which has gone slightly powdery on me. Very pretty, gentle and sweet, sort of "jasmine plus."

In the bottle: I smell myrrh, all myrrh and nothing but myrrh so far. Myrrh with maybe the slightest hint of jasmine in the background. I'm thinking that this blend and I probably will not get along too well.

Wet: Jasmine and myrrh though the myrrh almost drowns out everything else. The throw has a slight rosy quality to it, which is kinda nice.

Dry down: Myrrh. Myrrh and I are not the best of friends, really. I don't like resiny, incense type scents because they end up being too cloying and overwhelming on me a lot of the time. Though I can handle most of the too strong florals as they end up being surprisingly light. And now it's myrrh and jasmine. I'm guessing the myrrh doesn't like my skin, though, because it kinda reeks, especially with the addition of jasmine, which I usually do quite well with. The throw is still sweet rose, but I can't stand to smell myself directly and that's a bad thing.

Dry: Sickly myrrh and jasmine. Too much and too strong for me to wear even though this has a fairly nice throw to it.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

Preconceived notions:

I distinctly dislike two out of three of the listed notes in Nyx, so I don't see this working, but I'll give it a shot.

First sniff:

Jasmine. Heady, strong jasmine. The myrrh is the next thing I smell and it blends extremely well with the myrrh to the point where they're almost indistinguishable. Giving it a second sniff, I smell the rose, too. It's true rose, not the powdery variety that's among my least favorite notes, but it's still note me.

Wet on skin:

On me, Nyx is all rose and jasmine, the two notes that I really don't care for in this, but that's no surprise since my skin amps up florals to an insane degree. The rose is also crossing over into powder territory now, too, which makes matters worse for a floral averse gal like me. :D

Dry down:

Slightly overripe (I know, a rose isn't fruit, but still) rose and nothing more. Nyx, on me, smells like a rose that's passed its prime and is starting to get limp and squishy along the edges of its petals. There's a hint of powder here, too, but that's the rose coming out, too. My skin loves to amp up powdery florals, wihch is a shame because I hate that particular scent family.

The bottom line:

Another scent I knew wouldn't work from the get-go. Off to a new home with it. :D

Let me say this first and foremost, I LOVE jasmine. I'm not a girly-girl, but this flower lets me feel powerful and girly! Anyways, since Jasmine seems to be very present in this scent I LOVE it, I tried it yesterday once and then tried it again today and just HAD to buy a bigger bottle - even contemplated on a HUGE bottle, but my finances wouldn't allow it... :P . Something that surprised me about this is that there is a HINT of rose, but it's just that - a hint and on me the myrrh doesn't seem to show itself other than a darkening of the jasmine. SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!

ETA: This is another one of those scents that gave me a "vision" where I felt transported to a house in a humid southern town with a swamp out back. Very interesting - This is the second scent I've found that has done this (the other being Twilight - maybe it's the jasmine?)

Edited by eclecticaura

In the imp: At first, I thought I smelled amber, but I figure this is the myrrh warming up the other two notes. I liked it a lot. In the imp, it struck me as a warmer and more ambigious version of Nefertiti.

Wet: Again, the amber-like smell is dominant. I like this, but I wish it would distinguish itself a little bit.

Dry-down and wear: The scent complied. The jasmine made its appearance. Jasmine is the note that dominates my favorite commercial perfume (Chanel No. 5)--my skin amplifies the note, and Nyx honestly smelled like a slightly different variation on No. 5. I'm assuming the distinction came from the myrrh. The rose was crowded out, but that is not surprising, as jasmine and myrrh are two of my skin's favorite notes. I'm probably going to get a bottle of this.

in the bottle: jasmine, blooming under the moon's glow.

wet on skin: An incensey scent, myrrh I'm guessing, warms up the jasmine. So, it's a hot night the jasmine is now blooming in. Sultry is one word that comes to mind.

dry: I didn't get any rose out of this, only the jasmine and myrrh. The heady jasmine and drifting myrrh blend together very well, but it's not to my taste.

Nyx reminds me of several other BPAL scents that I've tried. The combination of myrrh and jasmine creates something like Black Lotus or Blood Lotus to me. Nyx also makes me think of Helle's Belle. The jasmine and myrrh are thick and heady, almost slightly burned smelling, while the rose brightens the overall tone. Not my type of scent, but I'd recommend it to someone who likes BPAL's stronger lotus, gardenia, jasmine, or magnolia blends.

The myrrh comes to the fore the moment I put this on. It is the same dark myrrh that is in Darkness and Wicked, and I like its sweet/smokey scent but I do find it a little headache-inducing. After a while, the myrrh dies down and the jasmine joins it. It is night-blooming jasmine rather than the "real" jasmine that is in Wicked and this makes a huge difference to its wearability since Wicked went slightly plastic on me for a while. The jasmine here is a lovely sweet scent that blends beautifully with the myrrh. The rose remains softly in the background.

After the myrrh dies down it isn't a very strng scent, nor is it tremendously long-lasting. But I like it!

I like myrrh and hate jasmine. Unfortunately, my skin seems to adore jasmine and amps it up to the fullest extent whenever I wear it. In Nyx, the jasmine completely devours the myrrh. I never smell it at all. Then the rose goes soapy and I smell like jasmine soap. I agree with those who said this kind of smells like LUSH's Flying Fox showergel. I can see the similarity.

This is just... not for me. It's so rare that a jasmine blend really works on me though.

Whooo. There's a lot of jasmine in the imp while Nyx is wet. It stays excessively potent after it's applied as well. In fact, that's about all I'm getting right now - big, wet, juicy, almost fruit-like jasmine blooms. It's so strong on me that it almost smells rotted, like heated compost. It's very earthy in a way, and more petals than perfume.

I'm surprised that it's retaining the top jasmine note so strongly as myrrh and my skin are normally best buddies. I can't pick it out here, though. There's a bit of a powdery rose attempting to poke through. But it's beaten into submission by the loud and proud jasmine element.

Simply not friendly on my skin. Hopefully someone else will provide a home for Goddess Nyx.