Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Oils to relax, calm, soothe, restore your sanity...

I second Melpomene! It has more of a fuzz factor than a chill factor, though. I was having a cramp attack a few weeks ago and this oil really eased me through it. It smells soft, woodsy, and comforting to me. Melpomene the Muscle Relaxant and Mood Soother. Really. It stopped the tears. :P

glampyre, do you and I work in the same place? :D

...Here's to much better times, hun and a weekend to look forward to... :D

Miggins, thank you for the hug!

I do have Old Morocco, I've been trying the voo doo oils out lately, and haven't worn it for awhile. I'll test it out on Monday.

Here's to the weekend... :P Congrats to us for making through another week!

Mine are Tushnamatay, Old Kathmandu and, strangely enough, March Hare for some inexplicable reason. I find cedar and sandalwood very centering and relaxing...no idea why March Hare is so calming for me. I guess it's just one of those mysteries of life... :P

~ Penance

My two soothing scents are jabberwockey and somnus. The jabberwockey is a headache tummy ache wakeful but not stressed scent and the sonmus is the I'm stressed to the limit and need to CHILL scent.

Together they are nice as well and I will combine them when I'm ill AND stressed :P

Dublin is my favorite just because it smells so COZY to me. It makes me think of being all snugged up in my warm bed while it rains hard outside.

Dove's Heart helps calm me down when I'm getting too worked up over my ex... but I'm weird so yeah.

Anything with lavender, particulary Twilight, really works well for me. I also love the other two notes in it- jasmine and honeysuckle.

Good luck!

~Diamond~

I'm having something of a trying time in work right now (spot the gross understatement) and one person in particular is really working my nerves. 'Tis a long story and not very interesting so I shan't bore you with it, but I desperately need something to keep me calm, sane and non-homicidal.

what are some likes and dislikes? i think those are keep to helping you relax

when i wear my favorite scents i feel very calm... maybe its just me

if you like lavender at all that is supposed to help

If you just want something soothing and not necessarily magical, then I would recommend Embalming Fluid. It's incredibly soothing to a frazzled mind, sort of a lobotomy in a bottle. :P Otherwise, maybe one of the voodoo blends like High John or Van Van.

Oh and don't forget Wolfs heart! Its in the Voodoo collection as well.

If you're looking for something calming, I'd recommend Somnus. It didn't put me to sleep, but it's very, very relaxing. Tarot: Strength is also very calming, to me.

Depending on what is going on with this person at your work, maybe you can find a blend to help you deal with him/her. Snow White (sorry it's a limited edition though) always helps me when I'm dealing with someone kind of pig-headed and stubborn, somehow it seems to engender a sense of teamwork and cooperation. Voodoo (the blend, not the category) makes me feel powerful when I just need to mow someone over (in the nicest possible way :D ). Another idea is to find something that is just gawdawful on you and douse yourself with it when that person is around :P .

Here's a :D for you just in case you need it.

If you have to deal with this person a lot, I would suggest using High John the Conquerer. It helps me immensely when I absolutely must interact with my boss.

Thanks everyone. I've been trying High John and Dragon's Heart, and I have an imp of Has No Hanna on the way to me, I also have Snow White (its one of my favourites) and am very interested in the idea of using something revolting to just make them stay away from me!

Although I think the most constructive thing I can do is find another job as I can't see the situation getting any better. :P

The many stages!

For putting up with your boss: Wolf's Heart

For telling your boss you're quitting: High John the Conqueror or Moxie (which I haven't tried)

For comforting yourself after work with ice cream or a favourite snack food: Sudha Segara

For getting a good night's sleep before work: Oneiroi

For job-hunting: Water of Notre Dame (which I haven't tried), Eos, Aeval or Tarot Oil: Strength

Good luck with everything.

-doreen

Edited by feline.by.design

Is there a particular note you're drawn to?

For me, it's apricot (or peach also works). I don't really like fruity scents, and I don't own any bottles with apricot in it, but I keep a couple of imps that make me go nutty like catnip. March Hare puts me in a deliciously happy mood, but I rarely wear it. Keep your eyes (err, nose) out for a note that does this for you.

If your looking slightly more magical I would suggest Black Cat (description mentions bringing back joy and throwing out some minor irratations to foes) and White Light (clears away day to day stress). I also personally find Detox also helps me to relieve stress.

I'll give Black Cat a try, I like the voodoo oils although I'm not familiar with white light.

As for notes, cuurently I'm into the creamy ones in Alice, Snow White or Milk Moon.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

OK, so this is generally a really unpleasant topic, but I thought maybe some of the bpal experts suggest something...

I've had intense anxiety attacks since I was 6 (like...really intense..it's embarrassing :P ). I'm looking for a scent for a locket that may help quell nerves. The notes don't even really matter, I'm really willing to try anything.

any aromatherapy experts out there?

You might try one of these Panaceas:

ELIXIR II: SUCCOR

Relaxation, calm, finding center.

ELIXIR IV: QUIETUDE

Peace, serenity, tranquility, silence.

or, if you want to try one of the magical oil blends offered at TAL, I like to think Anthelion has helped me during some pretty severe panic attacks.