Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Enterprise, adventure, restlessness, impulsiveness, and dynamism: Chinese musk and red musk with hyacinth, cactus flower, cubeb berry, galangal, tobacco, pink pepper, and sarsaparilla.

Decant: deep and warm…and fiery
Wet on Me: Very much the musks, and the hyacinth and sasparilla and pepper
Drying Down: deep musks. Very warm, still getting sasparilla out of this, but the pepper has gotten all shy on me. And it looks like the hyacinth is doing that as well.
Dry: Warm red musk. This reminds me of another BPAL but I can’t put my nose on it. But I do love it!

At first the sassaparilla in this warmed up to an inferno! I could imagine my skin on fire while smelling this wet.

Dry: Smouldering embers of sassaparilla...and it has toned down a bit. I have never smelled anything like this before in my life....and I think I :wub: it! Definitely moving into my power scent rotation though....this is way to fiery for normal everyday work! :P

This smelled like a less lemony Shub on me. Warm, sweetness with a light, lemony glow. It's okay, but too much like Shub for me to need a bottle.

Awww, this one was disappointing. It started out much like Red Phoenix but dried down to a root beer/cola mix. It's a fun scent but not for me.

Sarsaparilla in bottle and on application; stays in the throw. Root-beerish with a bit of spice and "dirtiness," but not in a bad way. Slightly fruity, slightly floral without being OMGFLOWERS; almost citrussy. The pepper is easily detectable and makes it a gently sweet, spicy blend. Much more subtle than I'd imagined. It's weird, different from other blends I've smelled, but very nice. There's something there I can't place, very light and airy, which is probably the Chinese musk.

This cools way down after it's been on a while, but the feel of it remains. A difficult to describe crisp, sweet musk, with spice and a little kick.

I really love this scent! It smells like cinnamon red hots on me and has a nice throw that lasts all day. Normally, something that smells like this would cause the worst allergic reaction on my skin, but thankfully, I have no such issues with Fire Phoenix. This is my second favorite of the Phoenixes, after Candy. :D

In the imp: Mmm, spicy in a cinnamon-pepper sort of way. I can definitely smell the sarsaparilla.

Fresh on the skin: Huh. This is a little nutty, a little fresh. I'm pretty sure I can detect the tobacco. Overall, sweet and spicy and complex, a little fizzy, a tiny bit smoky.

5 minutes later: Exotic cinnamon red hots, somehow both dark and bright at once. I <i>like</i> this.

45 minutes later: Still spicy in a vaguely candylike way, a little powdery.

6 hours later: Sort of a spicy-sweet musk. I like it.

Verdict: I like this, but I don't love it.

One word: Spicy!

The new Phoenix's seem to be morphers. Fire Phoenix smells a little odd in the imp, fizzy, musky rootbeer perhaps. Quite complex. It dries to a soft, musky spicy cinnamoney scent. I thought this one would scream at you, with the title, but really, it is a close to skin scent for one that is supposed to be spicy. I like this, but don't love it like I thought I would.

eta: It's been two hours, and I'm quite enjoying Fire Phoenix. It is more of a smoldering fire, constant, and very warm. I get more of a musky fruitiness, with a touch of the wonderful complex spice. A definite keeper now, and glad that I have a bottle coming.

Edited by milo

Fresh on, it's very strong and strident with an air of cinnamon to it. Like a spark, it flares up, and then settles down into a warm haze of sweet florals. It smolders all day long, and hugs my skin like the ember-flames of a fire licking at wood.

I liked it.

Peppery-spicy and kind of bright (almost effervescent) at first, I really like it so far. I think of lemons for some reason (perhaps the pepper), and cinnamon.

Red and yellow flames! Like the other Phoenixes I've tried, this is pretty complex. The general feeling fits the element so well.

It gets warmer and slightly musky, still spicy-herbal-weirdly-undescribable awesomeness. Almost reminds me of some of the spices in Shub-Niggurath. I was predicting that it would be smokier, but this feels more like the bright, flickering flame itself, dancing and casting a warm light. :D

imp-> I can pick out a hint of musk and what I think is the sarsaparilla... This isn't as warm as I was expecting. It's like a slow smoldering burn as opposed to a raging flame.

wet-> Slightly tangy, I'm getting something that reminds me of...lemon pledge? Wha...???

after a while-> Unfortunately that lemon pledge scent sticks with me. I'm still pondering what could have translated this to lemon pledge in my brain

I almost bought a bottle of this for DH unsniffed, but I'm glad I settled for a decant instead. DH tried it, said it smelled great once dry, but not good enough to suffer through the "girly rootbeer" drydown. I set Fire Phoenix into the swap pile and forgot about it for a couple weeks. A few days ago I popped open the imp, and decided to try it myself.

In imp: Drinking zingy sassafras in a pueblo style home of red tile and desert woods.

Wet on skin: Herbal, effervescent sassafras!

Drydown: I'm still getting the sassafras the strongest, but it's not sticky sweet rootbeer. It's the rooty/peppery/dry scent of saspirilla drunk out of dark brown glass bottles. I'm huffing my elbow creases like crazy!! I start thinking about hunting down a 5ml of this! :wub2:

20 min later: At this point, the sassafras and its herbal friends leave the party and Unisex Cologne comes out to sit on my skin for the rest of the day. This is the aspect of Fire Phoenix my hubby likes, but it's not for me.

Hmmm. I really get the red musk in the blend, along with the pepper and the sasparilla, which gives it a 'root beer' sort of tone in my mind. It's a pepper spicy musk with a hint of sweet florals. Meh.

This started pert and thick, then it started to remind me a bit of the rooibos in "Spawn Of The She-Demon". Or maybe it's the red musk. However, now my wrist smells like I washed my hands in a woody soap, and then stroked it across my cootchie.

Ahem.

This is interesting in that it fits the concept of "fire" very well--a gentle blaze. However, as a perfume or even as a room scent--nope, no way. Off-putting and bleh-inducing.

This was predominantly pink pepper on me throughout almost all stages. Wet, it was a little... funky on my skin. There was something in the undertone that made me not want to sniff myself. As it dried it became a little more agreeable. But something was still off for me. I don't think it was the red musk, because normally the two of us get on just fine. But something was definitely off.

In the Bottle: Smells cinnamony to me actually. It's like smoldering wood and red musk.

Wet: Hmmm :huh: I'm getting some lemon here too as others have mentioned.. I'm wondering if maybe the Chinese musk is lemony smelling, because I get the same vibe from my Metal Phoenix. It's definitely peppery too.

Dry: Wow, well it's certainly different that any other scent I have! The throw is nice and spicey-- I really only get that weird citrusy cologney bit up close. I'm not sure though.. I'll have to wear it a few times before I decide if I could really make my way through this whole bottle :lol:

ETA: About 30 minutes later this turned sooo nasty.. like bitter and sour like these stinky weeds that grow in my mom's back yard. Ick! I think this will be the first bottle I put up for sale!

Edited by MCS4096

in the bottle spicy, red musk-y, with, yes, a little citrus-y undercurrent

wet on skin funny, because there's something here that's screaming MYRHH and reminding me tremendously of priala minus the smoke

dry on skin really smooth and the red musk and something else... sarsparilla? is giving this a little bit of a dragon's blood feel. decadent and a little smoldering, this is a fascinating blend. the cirtrus-y bit sticks around, but it's not sharp or tart. there's almost a creaminess to it. fascinating and not at all what i was expecting from the notes!

In the bottle – The sharpness of the sarsaparilla and the berry on a bed of red musk

Wet on me – Mainly the spiciness of the pink pepper

Dry on me – A weird, almost watery sensation with an overlay of the pink pepper

Overall – I think that this needs more experimentation before I get my head around it, but I think I like it

I'm SO disspointed in this oil, or more so...dissapointed in my chemistry. This smells like nothing special at all on my skin.

It smells like a slightly foody lemon blend, slightly creamy. It has not much throw at all. Where's all the fire??? Where's all the power?

The foodiness dies down after a while and it smells a little bit like lemons soaked in pond water.

I get nothing else... :(

This is the most dissapointing phoenix to date.

*sniff sniff*

Wet: Dry cinnamon?

First on: Strong cinnamon-like smell and heavy musk.

Dry: Something's a bit off about this, but I'm not sure what.

i smell cinnamon but maybe thats the sassafrassss??

dried - peppery cinnamon

wet - PEPPER then a little cinnamony

maybe my nose isnt trained but its spicey - reminds me of the big red chewing gum.

Bottle: Chinese musk. hyacinth and maybe a bit of the galangal? Definitely getting a ginger/spicy vibe from this one. I sort of smell the red musk but it's very subdued. This reminds me a lot of The Great Sword of War when it's still fresh.

Wet: So mild and warm. A swirl of florals and berries over warming musks. I do get a sort of citrus scent from this and think it's either the cubeb or cactus flower? I feel a little out of my depth--I'm so unfamiliar with so many of these ingredients.

Dry: The sarsaparilla comes out in full force once Fire Phoenix dries down and gives it a needed grounding. The musks have started to dominate and even though this is very light, it's very good at evoking a smoldering fire. The red musk gives it a bit of interesting smokiness and the Chinese musk more of a sensual quality.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I like it. I think it's one that's perfectly decent and serviceable right now but by the time the lab's anniversary rolls around next year it is going to be absolutely to die for.