Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
iiinterstate

MVJBA: Pancake Breakfast

Buttermilk pancakes with boysenberry syrup and goat butter!

Mmm, pancakes! And here I was thinking I wasn't a foody person, hah. I got a strong, worrisome Bisquick-y funk out of the bottle and when I first put it on, but it dried to a perfect, freakishly realistic, non-bisquicky pancake. And did I mention 'freakishly realistic'? I keep having to remind myself that no, I didn't eat pancakes for lunch and then forget about it. :P

I get more 'syrup' than 'boysenberry' from the syrup - my brain is trying to register it as maple, or maple with some sort of slightly artificial berry hiding behind it.

EDIT: Woah! This lasts forever. I woke up this morning still smelling of maple and traces of pancake, and even after I scrubbed it off vigorously to make room for new scents today, there's still a trace of something syrupy on my wrists. It may not have tons of throw, but this definitely has serious staying power. Edited by Shollin

In imp: American pancakes with lots of maple syrup and butter! Yum!

Wet on skin: mostly caramel, far too faint. Good, though!

Dry on skin: too faint! Too faint! The other MVJBA scent was one that required slathering too. Such a shame, because that means it's uneconomical! Yeasty pancakes with syrup. I don't really get boysenberry, but I think there's a tiny hint of fruit in the background - almost like a fruit wine. It lasted a very long time close to the skin (16 hours and counting), but had very little throw.

In the bottle: OMG SYRUP YUM!!! I felt a huge seratonin rush upon smell of this. Upon further examination... I could smell something buttery under the sugar.

Wet: Syrup. Sticky sweet sugary mapley goodness the butter comes out a teensy bit.

Dry: See above, but the butter seems a background note. The grain smell from Horn of A. comes out now. I smell no fruit (which is fine by me). This reminds me of Horn of A. (without green veggies & butter instead of cream) mixed with the sticky sugar note from Huesos de Santo. The longer it goes, the more like mapley-grains I smell.

The next day: I tried this on at 8pm last night. I went to lunch with a friend at 12:30. He asked what perfume I was wearing & that I smelled so good. This is *after* a shower & putting on tea tree oil!!!

I am very fond of foody sugary scents. This does it for me. The grain note really distincts it from others like "Eat me." I almost makes it wholesome, despite the sinful sugar club beating you into sweet sweet submission.

I can't believe how incrediable this smells. Not only is it panacakes but it is buttermilk pancakes.

The sryup starts off very fruity, and once it has a chance to dry down the boysenberry sort of fades off into the background and maple takes over. At the beginning the butter is prevalent, but again as this scent dries the goat butter takes a backseat.

I can't believe how yummy this is. :P

In the bottle: Light lemon-yellow coloured oil. Sweet, buttery, foody. Vaguely maple-y, quite creamy. Reminds me of vanilla buttercream frosting.

Wet: Ahh, there are the berries - light, but there, adding a juicy note that offsets some of the intense sugar and butter, though this is still very sweetly foody. The berry is dark and a bit herbal-wild, quite natural.

Dry: Very slow to dry, with the berry note amping over time. A rustic, farmy, wooly note that is definitely the goat butter emerges, too; it's totally unique and makes the sweetness more bearable.

Summary: My mom thinks it smells like curry (lol!), but I think it fits the description very well - exotic, creamy-buttery pancakes and wild, juicy berries - but sadly it's just too sweet and foody for my tastes. Great throw and lasting power.

Edited by fairnymph

Smells just like buttery, golden pancakes! Nom. I don't get much, if any, boysenberry, but I do smell syrup of some kind. It's very sweet, but not so sweet that it gives me a headache. I love it.

This is amazing. Smells just like buttermilk pancakes. I get little of the syrup, but i can tell there is some base of sweetness in there. Now to go find the pancakes this makes me want :P

I had a nice-nice-nice forumite send a frimp of this scent my way, giving me the chance to give it a try.

In the imp, I'm smelling the way, way, way yummy cakes and syrup. Total comfort!

On my skin, it's initially that cake-and-syrup smell, but after 5-10 minutes, I thought I smelled something a bit musky? WTF? I checked the scent description and realized there was "goat butter" in it, and indeed, there's something a bit musky-goaty underneath the cakes and syrup. But I liked it! It added a dimension that was utterly unexpected. I'm not a big fan of pure foody scents and the "goat butter" gave it a very welcome twist.

And then OH CRAP. Fruit fragrances are the bane of my perfume existence, and the damn boysenberry cranked up and turned everything too sour. I just amp and skew fruity scents in an unpleasant manner. This makes me sad, especially when it messes up a scent that was morphing along so well.

If the Lab/Trading post ever does another pancake scent that leaves out the berries and just has a nice slather of that goat butter, I will be all about it!

lovelovelove overly rich and sweet fragrances. hate fruity ones. had to try this, though.

verdict? bisquick pancakes and maple-flavoured syrup. my skin eats this. i slathered it on to test it out, my mom asked me what smelled like bacon, and within half an hour it had faded so much i have to smoosh my nose right up against my wrist to smell it at all.

overall? i like it, but i'm not impressed.

Thanks to Dark Alice for gifting me a lovely tester of this!

I wish I were getting pancakes out of this, but it smells more like BPAL's Sugar Cookie (which itself did not smell great on me.. sort of plasticy vanilla unfortunately) with boysenberry. All of it fades very quickly on my skin. The boysenberry note is really nice but no longer noticeable after the first 2 or 3 minutes. Total miss for me unfortunately :P

In the bottle: Definitely pancakes, but with a lot of the boysenberry overtaking it.

Wet: BOYSENBERRY.

On wrist: The boysenberry has settled down a bit and let the pancakes come out. This is fortuitous, because after the Eat Me comparisons, I was scared this was going to go like Bloody Mary on my wrist, incredibly sweet and fruity. If I sniff my wrist directly, it's strong, but if I just sit here and let it waft naturally, I get more of the pancake scent, so it seems like the boysenberry is strong, but doesn't have a lot of throw. The resulting scent is very pleasant and breakfasty, although I think waffles more than pancakes, just because I'm a waffle person. It's definitely one I'm going to hold on to.

Oh, this is pancakes, maple and the goat butter. I can definitely smell something that kinda smells like feta in contrast to the sugary syrup and the cakey-ness of the pancake batter.

If it weren't for the goat butter.... *sigh*

This starts out slightly plastic-y on me, with a touch of spice? That's weird, but not entirely unpleasant. Maybe you wouldn't call it spicy per-se but I get the same feel from Sugar Cookie as I do in this wet stage. I can also smell the goat. It's hard to explain really, but it's there - and also, HELLO BUTTERMILK!

Dry the pancake takes a backseat and the maple jumps out. As it should be it's very boysenberry'ish. That is, until the berries fade away and the pancake peeks out again.

And just when I thought it had settled, out comes the goat again. And the berries. Throw is pretty medium, and I have no clue how long it lasts. It's a total morpher. I think I'll keep the bottle as a curiosity, but I wonder how much wear it'll get. Still, I love that I even HAVE a pancake scent in my herd.

On me it starts with the goat butter followed by whiffes of mouth watering pancakes and then the boysenberry syrup makes his presence feel. It`s a juicy and tart note that makes me want to eat myself. This is truly a breakfast blend, it makes me think of the table of my kitchen covered with Sunday treats :P After the pancake comes back in its glory.

Throw and staying power are minimal. Slather it could be a good solution!

I really, really, really hate my skin chemistry.

It could have turned into anything, PLASTIC, EVEN, and it would have been better than what it did turn into: fake grape. *cries* Perhaps one of the things I hate the most, excepting maybe fake banana.

*sighs*

It seems like it would be lovely, but on someone else. Maybe it would work in a scent locket? *is hopeful*

Update: After several hours of dry down (and some dry heaving, due to the grape), this scent has turned into a lovely, close-to-the-skin pancake with syrup scent. Now, if it wasn't for the first bit...

Edited by Evelien

In the bottle: extremely sweet maple syrup, with a tiny bit of soaked pancake on the linger.

Fresh on the skin: Hmm. Very, very sweet and a little plasticky. Kind of like an extremely fragrant scratch-n-sniff sticker. Kind of... icky close to the skin. I wish I could come up with an accurate word for this. The best I have right now is mildewy. And in this case I have a little tickly syrup down the back of my throat, too.

5 minutes later: Ew ew ew ew ew. This is turning my stomach and making me gag. Uck. I need to go wash this off now. It's quite strong.

9 hours later: Wow. I washed this off with 2 different scented soaps. Hours and hours and hours ago. And there's still a sort of slightly off maple walnut ish scent on my wrist. Gah.

12 hours later: Well, if there'a any good news, it's that at least it's a pretty nice maple-walnut smell now.

Verdict: It is possible I should just give up on the cake-y scents, and possibly on some of the caramels, too. :( There's just something in some subset of them that disagrees with my skin chemistry. Off to swaps! I'm sure someone will appreciate this. The sillage from just opening the bottle was delicious!

One word: syrup.

Edited by jencallisto

It does smell like maple syrup, but with some Sugar Skull and the currants (I know it's boysenberry syrup but to me it smells like currant candies) from Crumpet Rebellion and Sticky Pillowcase. I must be a weirdo because I think I would have rather had a butter/maple centered perfume. Maybe it's just that the boysenberry amps on me? Anyone who has always coveted Cumpet Rebellion should be aware that this is similar. It only lacks the marmalade note to be the same, IMO.

All in all, Pancake Breakfast is a great concept and a lot of fun. Have you seen the label art? It's very cute.

All boysenberry! Berry berry berry! Crazy amounts of berry!

Dried it has a little bit of that plastic note that most people fear yet I love. Really, a keeper.

I'm not sure why it took me so long to get a bottle of this since I knew, being the foody that I am, I would love it. Let me just say it did not disappoint at all! I knew I was getting a bottle of this and made blueberry pancakes with blueberry/maple syrup last saturday in preparation for the arrival of the yumminess. :)

In the bottle - a nice whiff of blended blueberry/maple syrup starts to waft out.

Wet on my skin - Ohhhh. I am in so much trouble because I can already tell my arm will be velcroed to my nose the remainder of the day.

Syrupy, buttery pancake goodness come to mama!!

Drydown - several hours later I am still getting delightful whiffs of blueberry and maple pancake delight. This is delicious.

If you're not a foody you may not care for this one, but this is a must-have for all the foody fans. :wub2:

I bought this bottle at a reasonable price on ebay, unsniffed, because I have a very serious relationship with pancakes. After several years of the Atkins diet (I know, I know...) pancakes came to represent all that was most decadent in all the world. I have also come to realize that it is my absolutely favorite post-coital meal... How's that for far TMI? But it cannot be helped, as it is a direct reason I went for this impulse buy.

Smelling this from the bottle - well, it's dead. on. Delicious, perfect pancakes. It is almost eerie, the level of accuracy. It brings me to a happy, well fed cat place... I just want to roll around in bliss!

Unfortunately, Pancake Breakfast plays something of a cruel trick when on... The butter note, which is problematic for me in many blends, gets really loud and proud. Also, their is a strong sort of ... dough note, very similar to the cake note in Eat Me, that also presents very strongly. These things aren't bad, but they are stronger on my skin than they are wafting up from a stack of the real thing. The butter is indeed a musky goat butter, which may be a bit too rich for some. As for the syrup, I never really get boysenberries specifically, just sweet sweet maple or perhaps butter pecan syrup.

I don't wear this often, and when I do it is a small amount just for that rush of seratonin... but I'll never ever trade my bottle away, just being able to sniff from it is a dream! :wub2:

After trying to get this several times,

I finally got a bottle...*drooooooooooooooool*

On me, this is INCREDIBLE strong.

I placed a teeny-weeny little drop on my wrist and my boy in the kitchen

asked me,

what smells so good.... :D

I get this strong plastic-y and strange artificial "dough" note,

but when its starts to warm up and dries down,

it starts smelling faboulous and so true-to-the-spot.. its scary.

A beautiful piece of art, this baby is.

I could still smell it 12 hours later, after a long night sleep and a shower in the morning

there was still a warm, golden syrup-and-butter smell.

I get a little bit of what I call "plastic berries" ,

but they calm down very fast and leave me with pure carbs ( atkins victim here, too !)

I love it and I will not give this baby away... its fantastic with a incredible throw and

this gorgeus warm pancake-y goodness...*oh nom nom nom*

My first review! Sorry for the unsophisticated nose. :blush: This oil's not too hard, though - it's just what it says on the tin!

In the imp: Syrup!

Wet: The pancakes and butter come out and balance with the syrup. Pancake Breakfast is making me hungry.

Drydown: Stays the same - like walking into a Shrove Tuesday dinner. Absolutely amazing!

I enjoyed this scent so much. I never wear anything that foody, though, so it's out to swaps to pass on the love!

In the bottle – I suppose it’s probably the buttermilk, but something sweet and cramy and with an edge of coconut. I have a feeling this will turn to ashes on my skin

Wet on me – Again that sweet creaminess, oddly clean smelling

Dry on me – Water ashes and strongly so

Overall – This just didn’t work on my skin. Normally when creamy notes turn to ashes, it is at least weak; this positively radiated them

In the imp: Syrup! With something else sweet lurking behind....

Wet on my skin: still sweet syrup... A little more of the pancake-y smell coming in. It's soooo tasty smelling!!!

Dry: It smells exactly like a stack of pancakes with syrup and butter!!! :yum: I want to bathe in this stuff! seriously! it smells that good. Beth is a goddess of scent!

:wub2:

Like the former reviewer, this is ENTIRELY buttery pancakes with golden maple syrup. I get no hint or fruit or berry anywhere. The "pancake" note is rather dry and not as sweet as the lab's "cake" note. The throw of this seriously smells like pancakes baking. It's crazy. Up close, I do get a little bit of the nasty bisquick note people have mentioned. SIGH. However, I do love this scent and I am keeping it for the throw alone which is SCARILY authentic.