Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

Obeah

Smells like civet to me, but I may be confusing that with pine. Definitely dark green and animalistic.

To me, the scent smells like the richness of ancient incense, a tease of mystery, with a rich, peppery finish.

I would love to be able to purchase this scent!

If anyone wants to send/sell me thair imps..... :P

Bottle (Imp): Hmmm, I get something pretty sharp. Maybe patchouli?

Just On: Ouch, used bandaids. My skin ruins it immediately (not that I loved it in the imp, but at least it didn't smell like that).

An hour or two later: Still some used bandaid smell, but not as strong, and tempered by something .

Around 6 hours: It's quite faded, and has left a rather spiced smell.

12 hours: It's left the barest hint of spice, but is otherwise gone.

Overall: Well, my skin ruins yet another scent.

After reading other reviews: I got no citrus out of this at all. This half imp will be gifted somewehere along the line at random.

Ooooooooh this smells exactly like Lush Icon Fracrance to me! Only a little bit stronger (but that could be down to the age of patchouli used i suppose) :P :D

I had no idea this one was unreleased until I read the ebay description more carefully. I was VERY excited to get an unreleased scent because I never got one of those before.

Too bad the scent made me gag and it honestly smelt like someone peed on a pine tree. It also made my stomach turn a little and it gave me a little headache.

I'm sure this blend will work for others, and I think it has given that this scent has three pages of reviews, but it doesn't work for me at all. I'm sure someone else will be glad to have it. 2/10.

Edited by Dark Seraphim

obeah.jpg

Sexy, strong, medicinal, volatile. Obeah smells like a magic oil which means business. It smells resiny like you get so close to a "weeping" pine tree so you can smell it's sap and the sap running in its bark, then there is the civet tone...that's Obeah. This definitely isn't meant to be a perfume oil at all. I don't know what to do with it, either, so I suppose it's for the best to swap this and let it make the rounds.

Good to review an unreleased scent, though, I just got lucky.

Though this is an unreleased scent, it sounded like a Voodoo blend so I made a voodoo icon for it.

First thought: smells like a spice cabinet. It's very strong and peppery, like an overwhelming mix of really potent herbs. Just like when you open Grandma's old spice cabinet that has absorbed the scents of a thousand different herbs and spices over the years, and it's mixed into one strong aroma. Probably quite nice on the right person, but not really my thing.

Normally I love patchouli [especially the BPAL East African Patchouli, :D] and would welcome it in one of Beth's blends, but for some weird reason I am not getting patchouli from Obeah at all.

Although I do detect what I think might be jasmine sambac mixed with "voodoo-ness".

:P That's really helpful, I know, but I am at a loss to describe another single note here.

It must be my skin, it's doing it's absorbing and neutralizing thing.

Overall I really like Obeah, and it smells quietly powerful.

:D :D

Edited by fragrantgrasse

Obeah:

Wet: Spicy. Just.. spicy.

Drydown: I have to agree with the other posters.. orange, clove and patchouli.

Longterm wear: This one's really nice. I'd probably buy it if it were to be released, and I'd wear it often. :P

Whew - this is so strong and sharp out of the imp and while wet that I can't discern any particular notes. It smells like department-store perfume, which I don't like. After about an hour it settles down and becomes more floral - I suppose that's the jasmine emerging. Definitely not for me. Too, too strong.

I was rather afraid to try this one after so many people said that it had jasmine in it, my skin usually amps up jasmine to frightening proportions.

First on, patchouli (yay) and some sort of citrus. It smells like orange, but it's sweeter than orange usually is on me. Sweet orange, covered in patchouli... I rather like this so far. And I'm glad that I'm not getting any florals.

After about 15 minutes, the orange smell has transformed into something spicier. Clove, perhaps? The spiciness is so light that it's almost unnoticeable though. Mostly I am getting evergreen and patchouli. It's very dark and earthy. I really love this after wearing it for an hour, as a resinous pine sap scent begins to take over.

I like this a lot. It's very dark green and earthy... I'd get a bottle if it was ever released :P

I can't pick out the individual notes in this, but its very masculine. It smells of chocolate and pine to me. I need to find a man to put this on STAT

I got an imp of this from a swap/sale.

In the vial there's a sharpness to it, and something sort of musty. It makes me want to say patchouli but there's a lightness to it (maybe citrus?) that keeps it from being down and dirty like most patchouli is to me.

Wearing this, the patchouli becomes more apparent. I get a green smell, something light, something sharp, and then the overpowering mustiness. Patchouli is not my friend.

I don't really care for this but I can see using it or keeping it around for specific purposes other than wearing it for scent.

Obeah is a very strong "oily" oil when it first hits my skin. It's a familiar smell, reminiscent of some of my mother's fragrance oils or perfumes she might have had. I would tentatively place this fragrance in the "Oriental" perfume category, as it gives off a light citrus that's weighed down by something sweet, nearly cloying scents that remind me of...

Food?

No, no, wait, incense, I mean incense. Obeah morphs easily, bringing forth lighter wood notes (patchouli, I suppose) while still maintaining a core note that I cannot describe other than by saying it just smells like "oil." Maybe the patchouli is the "oil" I smell.

Obeah is an interesting fragrance. It smells intriguing, but I don't know if it's a perfect fit for me. This smells like the pillows of a harem, or the neck of a mystic. I'm not quite sure I could follow those moulds, but I'll hold onto my imp of Obeah and contemplate with interest should the fragrance ever be released.

It would make an intensely sexy room scent.

-doreen

I was really hoping for the woods, patchouli & spice other people have got from this. What I *did* get was a rich jasmine-y floral (is there ylang ylang in there too?) with a hint of spice. Now it's drying down to something powdery. Wretched skin, amping jasmine. :P

This is a very sharp green scent.

I'm not sure what the notes are- something herbal, clove, some sort of citrus. Maybe patchouli. It doesn't smell like a perfume to me.

It's very odd, and I'm not sure I'd wear it.

Obeah - In the vial, this smells dark and murky (the way patchouli does when it doesn’t agree with me) and I’m positive it’s going to stink on me. When it actually touches my skin, it still has that dark and murky patch scent, although it’s not as strong as I expected. Upon dry down, the patch entirely disappears, and is replaced by the strong, heady, floral scent of jasmine. Jasmine and herbs, actually. It has a very distinct herbal scent along the lines of most of the Voodoo blends. I imagine someone who likes jasmine may like to wear this as a perfume, but the strong scent of herbs makes me wonder if it isn’t intended to be used with intent and not as a perfume. Either way, the jasmine entirely ruins it for me, as I really have no interest in having anything remotely jasmine in my life.

This one definitely had a strong sage and incense vibe to it on wet. As it has dried, the sage has gone away and I get more of a musty, white floral + spice cabinet. I definitely think it has ginger.

This one smells medicinal, slightly floral, slightly spicy. I can definitely see this one having a purpose.

A generous forumite gifted a decant of this lovelyness to me! Thank you so much!!

Once applied, I get a mishmosh of scents, but first and foremost is PINE SAP and PATCHOULI! I freaaaking LOVE it! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! OMG LOVE! :love!:

It reminds me a bit of Illustrated Woman (or rather I.W. is reminicent of Obeah being that Obeah came first.) It's sexy pine sappy incense. It has that touch of pine menthol that I associate with some pine tree scents that I love.

It's gorgeous and I'd need to track down more of this!!

Dark amber oil. Sour, classic florals (definitely that sour rose of the Empress etc, some jasmine, and maybe some gardenia) and woody incense. It smells like many of the older DC'ed scents.

Definitely lots of rose, and more jasmine (a little cat pee-ish) on my skin - I'm doubting the gardenia now, but there are definitely several florals here. The incense is earthier, definitely a patchouli of some type, and I get some dry, slightly musky sandalwood too, as well as a touch of cedar. Pretty complex. Less sour, much more grounded, earthy, and woody on my skin.

Eeeek jasmine amping and turning more urine-y, too. Also, this is going sort of soapy. One of the other florals is maybe a type of lily, and I also suspect a type of orchid. And the woods are going drier and DUSTY, yech. I think there's rosewood actually in this - not so sure about the sandalwood anymore. This has the rosy warmth of rosewood. The patchouli's quite nice, not dirty or too rooty, and almost a little spicy - a refined note.

This actually becomes more bearable as it dries down, with the florals fading substantially, but it's still not at all my style. Dusty woods, earthy patchouli, and sour, classic florals - rose and jasmine standing out, in that order. Good throw and once it fades down a bit, it holds.

It reminds me of a woodier/earthier version of the Empress.

I get a citrussy splash of deep orange and then opium! This is dark and smoky. I'm not getting much in the way of rose or jasmine here, but I am getting lots of opium and patchouli, with some sort of floral tone. It's rather intoxicating.

Purchased as part of an imp lot on eBay. Appears to be an older standard-issue Lab imp with font, older logo, etc. 

In the imp: Smooth, smoky patchouli. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's patchouli that's mellowed out of all its gnarl and bite, along with a gentle undercurrent of smoke -- the smoke of a few candles in a large room, not overwhelming. As it dries, the smokiness either dissipates or is reabsorbed into the patchouli. If there is a way to describe patchouli as "silky smooth," this is it. There's also now a light sweetness around the edges of the scent that's currently too soft for me to distinguish but that could well be a floral. 

... and that's about all this does on me. I can't tell if the patchouli-dominance is patchouli dominating on me (common), me not being able to pick out the notes that are softening it, the aging process (this could be, like, 13-year-aged patchouli in a vial, no?), or some combination of the above. 

I probably won't keep this forever (if I wanted Patchouli SN, I could get straight patchouli oil), but I'm surprised at how nice this is, and I'm definitely curious enough to try it again. 

Throw on me is medium, which is common for me + patchouli. 

Edit: The next morning, this scent is still present on my skin. Now it's patchouli with a definite touch of a warm sweetness, like a honey or an amber. (Given that I didn't perceive it last night but do perceive it now, amber would be the more logical conclusion of the two choices -- though it could well be something else.) 

Edited by torischroeder9